2013 Recruiting Thread | Page 44 | The Boneyard

2013 Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a hard time understanding this BS about Don Brown developing Defensive linemen.

For over a decade, Hank Hughes has done a great job with very raw kids. Think Kendall Reyes. I'm betting we may see a 240lb kid become 280. We will be fine.

Reaction Score
I have a hard time understanding this BS about Don Brown developing Defensive linemen.

For over a decade, Hank Hughes has done a great job with very raw kids. Think Kendall Reyes. I'm betting we may see a 240lb kid become 280. We will be fine.

That's what ESPN thinks with Shaki Holines. Or at least a move to the DL. Idk about how much weight he can add.

Reaction Score
we knew it was staying home if a closer big school didn't offer. this kid sent tweets out to every pac and b12 school looking to be recruited all winter. he liked uconn a lot but was very honest it was to far. begging those west schools.... the hustle paid off for him and he got that ttech offer. it must be insulting to them he picked fresno lol.

Yup...

SRUB_71 3:13am via Twitter for iPhone
The California kid is staying home, there's a lot of work to be done. Here's to the future!

Reaction Score
Guys, whats going on here!!??? Two 3*'s commit this week and it just blends into the recruiting news?? I had no idea Lemelle (WR) and Ornsby (DE) signed!! We need to have an announcement thread so these commits dont get swept to the side for a few days.... Great news nonetheless!!

Reaction Score
Guys, whats going on here!!??? Two 3*'s commit this week and it just blends into the recruiting news?? I had no idea Lemelle (WR) and Ornsby (DE) signed!! We need to have an announcement thread so these commits dont get swept to the side for a few days.... Great news nonetheless!!

Ummmm.......there are threads about these 2 already. And neither of them have signed yet.

Reaction Score
Ummmm.......there are threads about these 2 already. And neither of them have signed yet.

Got it. Just saw Lemelle on the bottom of the page and Ornsby on page two. Too many threads here to keep up if you don't jump on the page every day.....

Reaction Score
Gus Edwards drops the orange as expected...

"The Syracuse football team lost one of its most highly prized recruits when Augustus Edwards decommitted on Thursday night, according to scout.com.

Edwards, a 6-foot-1, 210-pound running back from Totenville (Staten Island), committed to Syracuse in July. He wavered, however, after coach Doug Marrone and much of this staff left for the Buffalo Bills. He now will decide between Florida State and Miami.

Syracuse, still looking for a running back in this class, will focus on Laray Smith of Brooklyn. The 6-foot-1, 175-pound track star is smaller, but faster, than Edwards. He's rated as the No. 2 running back in the state. Smith has narrowed his choices to Syracuse, Indiana and UConn, and he's visiting Indiana this weekend."

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/02/syracuse_football_loses_august.html

Reaction Score
What's interesting to me about Gus is that while he will likely enjoy 5 years in the sun, he is being recruited by those schools as a FB. At SU he would have been a RB.

Reaction Score
at su i think he would have been a lb fwiw

i am a bit confused with whats actually going on with laray smith this weekend.

Me too. Maybe doing a doubleheader... Indiana today - UConn tomorrow?

Reaction Score
NY News says Laray is visiting Indiana, Dez says it's UConn. Who knows.

Reaction Score
I would assume he's being told by someone on the UConn coaching staff no? He mentions both players at the same time, wouldn't be suprised if he got the info from the same person but who the he11 knows.

I expect Laray is up at UConn this weekend, whether today or tomorrow.

Reaction Score
desmondconner 11:11am via TweetCaster for iOS
Chris Britton, 6-3, 207-pound OLB from Harrisburg, PA visiting #UConnFootball

New Name:
desmondconner 11:14am via TweetCaster for iOS
#UConnFootball also looking at Jalen Branford, a Blidi Wreh-Wilson type corner out of Reading, PA...He's visiting this weekend, too

6-1 180 w/ more of a basketball pedigree than football. (AAU York Ballers) - http://www.centralpahoops.com/jalan-branford-2013.html

Interest from St Fran PA, Quinnipiac, Monmouth, Mount St Mary's and Siena.

Reaction Score
we are really reaching at DT now. we offered brian carter from harrisburgh pa and the kid committed to temple anyway...

It's all about relationships... someone must be coming up the ranks in Harrisburgh in 2014/2015.

Reaction Score
ok then why would we reach? u reach for players to fill slots. by reaching in a hotbed your telling the good players at that hs that there buddy who is fringe is good enough for your school and they may think hes not that good compared to them. now your looked at as a easy school vs others to make the team type ideal....

when u reach u reach for certain reasons filling slots. local kids or new hs places where the name needs to be built. the past week we rocked the crap out of that local sports section in the paper i imagine. no need to then put a reach and lose it to temple after that good momentum. w/e

Your "reach" is someone else's "want".

Reaction Score
UConn came into the last few weeks of the recruiting season with a pretty lengthy list of "needs" and "wants"

Needs were - OT, CB, OLB, DT
Wants were - 2nd QB, another playmaking WR, 2nd RB,

UConn didn't hit on all these positions so far, not having a 2nd DT to go with Fatukasi and seeming on the outside looking in for Laray Smith as another RB, but in all other areas the staff has done a great job finishing the class. The huge difference I am seeing is that most of commits over the last few weeks have held at least one and in some cased many BCS offers.

Wright at OT had NC State and Penn St offers
Britton at OLB has a Pitt greyshirt offer
Boyle at QB had BC, Pitt, Florida, Syracuse
Lemelle at WR had over 6 BCS offers

You can also addin Fuchs who is a hybrid WR/TE with great size who also had BCS football offers from Rutgers and Iowa St.

The one kid without a BCS offer is Branford at CB. I know he is a hoops player making the transition to football, but based on this little blurb I found from a Penn. paper he doesn't lack a desire to make contact and seems to have a great upside in football. This is apparently a really good "flyer" to fill a position of need.

1. Heavy Hitter- Jalen Branford has to be the hardest hitter we’ve seen this season. My goodness, he is everywhere on defense and delivers jarring hits on a regular basis. He did miss a few tackles on what appeared to be run-blitzes, but all and all he is one of the more impressive athletes this county has to offer. If you doubt his hitting ability, just ask Exeter QB Kyle Yocum, whom he hit so hard it echoed throughout Shirk stadium. That was a huge collision, as Yocum is as big as his offensive lineman.
For the first time in its history UConn will potentially have has 4 3-star QBs on the roster (the only ? is whether Lagow waivers with Boyle competing). Whitmer is a JR, Cochran as a RS Fr, and Boyle and Lagow as Fr. That is a huge step for a program that has always scraped the bottom of the BCS barrel for QBs, most of whom had limited if any other BCS interest (i.e. Casey Turner, Nebrich, Hernandez, ect...). Having 4 legit BCS level QBs is a huge positive for this program.

Just a side note - many here wanted Adazzio as the HC because of his percieved recruiting prowess, especially in the northeast. Adazzio has recieved only 1 commit since taking over the reigns at BC in early December and has lost 4 players with BCS offers. Apparently, Adazzio was good at selling a Florida program to northeast kids. Whether that is truly great recruiting is still to be determined.

Reaction Score
Just a side note - many here wanted Adazzio as the HC because of his percieved recruiting prowess, especially in the northeast. Adazzio has recieved only 1 commit since taking over the reigns at BC in early December and has lost 4 players with BCS offers. Apparently, Adazzio was good at selling a Florida program to northeast kids. Whether that is truly great recruiting is still to be determined.

No on Adazzio.

You can't compare a coach who was brought in in mid-December with someone like P who has been at UConn 24 months. None of P's critics blamed him for the class he closed on four weeks after getting to Storrs. Adazzio deserves the same chance to show what he can or can't do in Chestnut Hill. Hopefully, he'll fail miserably but the last two months are simply not evidence of that.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No on Adazzio.

You can't compare a coach who was brought in in mid-December with someone like P who has been at UConn 24 months. None of P's critics blamed him for the class he closed on four weeks after getting to Storrs. Adazzio deserves the same chance to show what he can or can't do in Chestnut Hill. Hopefully, he'll fail miserably but the last two months are simply not evidence of that.

I would agree with this sentiment if not for the fact that our conference situation is 100x more screwed up than is BC. They should have leverage in the recruiting game right now that we are lacking. And yet we are flipping their players. That speaks to the quality of PP's recruiting over Addazio's....just my opinion, of course, but I think that it's a reasonable one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom