2013 QB Kyle Kempt gets Uconn offer | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2013 QB Kyle Kempt gets Uconn offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You have all been great and it has been fun talking. We are all looking forward to ending this process. Hey, a week ago I was looking for a place along the coast and talking about a suite at the field, then, as life tends to do, a fly in the ointment appeared. Hey, my son falls asleep every night with a UCONN flag hanging over his head and had already ordered his UCONN shirt and hat for signing day when this little road bump appeared. It will all work out and no matter what happens UCONN will still be a great school and at the end of the day that is what more student athletes should be drawn towards. One other silly thing: My wife said someone on this board had googled Richard's name and saw a school here in Dallas with his name on it and wondered if there was a connection. It was his great, great, maybe even great again, grandfather who owned land from the Texas war for independence and he started the first public school in Dallas and donated land. Now, on that odd ball note, I think I will leave it to you guys and hope to talk again in a couple of weeks.

Reaction Score
Most programs have five playable QBs at all times, taking one a year and redshirting the youngest, we will have 3 next year including Richard (Whitmer, Cochran, Lagow) because McCummings can't throw. That's not much depth. We saw last year, Cochran broke his (edit: wrist); Whitmer had to come out of (edit: at least 1 game, maybe 2 games) with a concussion. You never know what might happen. I think the best thing for the program would be to bring in 2 QBs this year for depth, and I fully expect Rich Lagow will win that competition. I'm sure once he does he'd be grateful to have backups around so that if he has to miss time for any reason the team can still win.
Yup, bringing in 2 QBs this year always made, and still makes, good sense.

Reaction Score
Based off those highlights, I like Lagow better. Better footwork.

Reaction Score
Scout now lists Oregon St., Toledo and Utah as high interest for Kempt.

Reaction Score
Looks real good on film. Strong arm, steps up well in the pocket, doesn't panic. Throws both the slant and deep out very well. Impressive.

Reaction Score
You have all been great and it has been fun talking. We are all looking forward to ending this process. Hey, a week ago I was looking for a place along the coast and talking about a suite at the field, then, as life tends to do, a fly in the ointment appeared. Hey, my son falls asleep every night with a UCONN flag hanging over his head and had already ordered his UCONN shirt and hat for signing day when this little road bump appeared. It will all work out and no matter what happens UCONN will still be a great school and at the end of the day that is what more student athletes should be drawn towards. One other silly thing: My wife said someone on this board had googled Richard's name and saw a school here in Dallas with his name on it and wondered if there was a connection. It was his great, great, maybe even great again, grandfather who owned land from the Texas war for independence and he started the first public school in Dallas and donated land. Now, on that odd ball note, I think I will leave it to you guys and hope to talk again in a couple of weeks.

I can see everyones point on this topic. We are down in the QB stable and the Lagows do not want two in the same class to compensate. What I do not understand is the fly in the ointment. What was Richard told or promised on his visit from Paul? Was there no other QB in the same class discussed?
It is obvious the staff wants more than one with the activity that is going on.
I for one hope to see K. Lagow here for the next 5 years, love the parents that interact with the fans...........

Reaction Score
The 2nd QB talk started after Weist came aboard. I will go along with a former Cincy coach's idea on QBs given their offensive success. He wants 2 kids to develop in his 1st year. You can't blame him for that.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Kyle Kempt (@KyleKempt)
1/26/13, 8:59 PM
Received an offer from Oregon State

Edited w/ new tweet:

Kyle Kempt (@KyleKempt)
1/26/13, 9:22 PM
Wanna thank God through all this, I'm keeping the orange and black and committing to Oregon State! Go Beavs!

Reaction Score
Kyle Kempt (@KyleKempt)
1/26/13, 8:59 PM
Received an offer from Oregon State

Edited w/ new tweet:

Kyle Kempt (@KyleKempt)
1/26/13, 9:22 PM
Wanna thank God through all this, I'm keeping the orange and black and committing to Oregon State! Go Beavs!

Oh well... At least it probably helped Weist maintain a pipeline w/ the Massillon program.

Reaction Score
Mr. Lagow, great job raising your kid. Seems like he loves UConn as much as we do. Looking forward to seeing him join the program.

Found these quotes on ESPN from Richard on the day he verbally commited back in June 2012, about a month after UConn first offered him:
“I always been taught to go where you were wanted,” Lagow said. “They were the first to offer. The way I saw it, I’m only going to accept one scholarship in the end.
“I didn’t feel I needed to wait for more offers to come. I liked the coaches and everything else about it. It’s a great academic school. It had everything I wanted.”
“I committed to UConn,” he said, “and I’m sticking with it.”

Reaction Score
Oh well... At least it probably helped Weist maintain a pipeline w/ the Massillon program.

In my opinion, this was the ultimate reason for the interest and offer in the first place. And if he ended up coming here then thats the cherry on top.

Reaction Score
Kempt Commits To Oregon State
Steve Wiltfong

Washington (Ohio) Massillon quarterback Kyle Kempt picked up an offer and committed to Oregon State this weekend on his official visit.

"Felt extremely comfortable with the place and loved it." Kempt told 247Sports.

The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Kempt chose the Beavers over offers from the likes of Connecticut, Cincinnati, Indiana, Ole Miss, Tennessee and West Virginia. He was at one time committed to the Bearcats

Kempt threw for 3,056 yards and 32 touchdowns as a senior.

http://247sports.com/Article/Kyle-Kempt-Commits-To-Oregon-State-113414

Reaction Score
Ok thread closed. We will talk about other highly ranked QB recruits next year.

Reaction Score
I never really thought this was all that serious of an offer in the first place, but nice of Weist to save face for himself and his connections...

Reaction Score
I never really thought this was all that serious of an offer in the first place, but nice of Weist to save face for himself and his connections...

This statement is what helps to change perceptions: "The 6-foot-5, 200-pound Kempt chose the Beavers over offers from the likes of Connecticut, Cincinnati, Indiana, Ole Miss, Tennessee and West Virginia"

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It was certainly a longshot, but they did get him to visit - in the end, probably too much to expect an Oregon kid to turn down Oregon State.

Reaction Score
This offer was totally serious. He didn't have an offer from Oregon St. until he made his visit. In the interim OSU had a couple of other QB they were going after. If they would have gotten a commit from one of the other guys then Kempt may have fallen into UConn's lap. Didn't happen, but it was worth the shot.

Reaction Score
I think that the rotation of Whitmer, Chocrane, McCummings and Lagow is fine. Move on. Find a RB and a couple more TE's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom