2013 QB Kyle Kempt gets Uconn offer | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2013 QB Kyle Kempt gets Uconn offer

Status
Not open for further replies.

pj

Reaction Score
Richard Lagow committed early and took his hat out of the ring and has been telling TCU and others he is 100% UCONN, that is why the offers stopped and once UCONN announced they had a new OC and he was recruiting a QB he had committed to at cinci the contact from other schools started again. He loves Storrs, loved the idea of being the #1 choice, is still 100% and not concerned about a kid who likes courtship, and if anyone believes a kid who strings things out is better than a solid commit then they know little about making a choice and not looking back. Hell, I tried to get him to just talk to TCU and he refused.

Love Richard as a QB and as a person and think he's better than anyone else we will bring in so I hope it doesn't bother him. Most programs have five playable QBs at all times, taking one a year and redshirting the youngest, we will have 3 next year including Richard (Whitmer, Cochran, Lagow) because McCummings can't throw. That's not much depth. We saw last year, Cochran broke his ankle in a fall from a bicycle; Whitmer had to come out of a game with a concussion. You never know what might happen. I think the best thing for the program would be to bring in 2 QBs this year for depth, and I fully expect Rich Lagow will win that competition. I'm sure once he does he'd be grateful to have backups around so that if he has to miss time for any reason the team can still win.

Thanks for letting us know how things stand, K Lagow!

Reaction Score
One side note: There were 25 thousand in the stands when his team played Allen, the large school Texas State Champions, in their new 65 million dollar one school stadium. He threw a TD pass with no time left and then threw a perfect pass for the two point conversion that would have won the game but a young receiver just dropped the ball. I don't think he is afraid of the lights or pressure. His team changed to a conservative under center offense this year and he still managed one of the highest yards per completion average and managed to stay in the top charts for regular season passing yards. He helped his team win the Texas State 7on7 Championship for the first time ever and was the MVP and around here the 7on7 Championship is huge and was broadcast on TV. Having said all that, when a kid commits early he or she opens the door for downgrading because the offers quit coming and the rating and evaluators grade the players up based on the offers. It makes sense because you have to assume the coaches are experts. So if a player makes the circuit, picks up a few offers, his stock goes up and another person offers, so on and so on. The grass is always greener I guess. With that, It is still completely his decision and it was his decision to not make the circuit and he did respond to the box of letters he received from colleges making imquiries.

pj

Reaction Score
One side note: There were 25 thousand in the stands when his team played Allen, the large school Texas State Champions, in their new 65 million dollar one school stadium. He threw a TD pass with no time left and then threw a perfect pass for the two point conversion that would have won the game but a young receiver just dropped the ball. I don't think he is afraid of the lights or pressure. His team changed to a conservative under center offense this year and he still managed one of the highest yards per completion average and managed to stay in the top charts for regular season passing yards. He helped his team win the Texas State 7on7 Championship for the first time ever and was the MVP and around here the 7on7 Championship is huge and was broadcast on TV. Having said all that, when a kid commits early he or she opens the door for downgrading because the offers quit coming and the rating and evaluators grade the players up based on the offers. It makes sense because you have to assume the coaches are experts. So if a player makes the circuit, picks up a few offers, his stock goes up and another person offers, so on and so on. The grass is always greener I guess. With that, It is still completely his decision and it was his decision to not make the circuit and he did respond to the box of letters he received from colleges making imquiries.

I think everybody knows that to win the Texas 7v7 you have to be a great QB. So many of the top QBs have been coming out of Texas, the competition is terrific. Someone said here that at UConn's camp he didn't throw an incomplete pass. You can be sure that those who follow recruiting here know how good he is, and that his high school team was run oriented so stats need interpretation.

I'm sure you know better than we do what the situation is at UConn, having just had the visit from coach P. It is an excellent school and will prepare him well for whatever he chooses to do -- hopefully, a great career as an NFL QB.

Reaction Score
I prefer only one QB a class. Sometimes you need to fill two.
I'd prefer a dual-threat QB if we were looking at two.
Boyle is the only one I've seen play live and he does pass the eye test.
He's legit.

With that, if we only take one, I want Legow. He seems to bleed blue.
We offered, he committed. He's been out on twitter trying to help us.

Reaction Score
I think we need 2 QBs this class as we only have 3 scholarship QBs and one is more of a wildcat QB. Also, injuries can impact QB depth.

Reaction Score
FWIW: One of the career record holders at QB for UConn started from 1986-1990, and was part of one of the most winningest periods of time in the 114 year history of UConn football. The guy that backed him up, became a starter for one year only in 1991 as a senior, after the other graduated. The backup for those years, that pushed that starter, and started only one year, while the other started 4, was the one of the two that got drafted to the NFL - by the steelers.

Competition on the football practice fields, makes teams better, and at UConn - we want winning teams, and it's been way too long, since we've had really good competition on the roster at the QB position up and down the depth chart. It started again last year, and it's getting better again this year.

I look forward to seeing that QB depth chart stack up, and the competition that evolves from it, and I have no idea what's in store for Mr. Lagow, or any other QB, that is, or might be coming in, or is already here. No crystal balls.

THe one thing that's certain, is that with better players, comes better competition on the roster, and with that teams overall get better, and the QB, is the most important piece, and needs to be the leader of the team, that toughest mentally, and physically on the team as well.

Reaction Score
Kempt is officially visiting Oregon State soon. This late in the game, that almost always means an offer is coming. I think UConn may just let him commit there.

"May just let him commit there". WTF, UConn needs QBs like fans need oxygen. They need quality, they need depth, they need a stable line of succession. If he's any good at all . . . . how do you let him commit anywhere. He may end up doing so but you don't let him "commit there".

I'm not really sure what Kempt brings that Lagow doesn't. Depth, competition, may a better caliber of play at this level. . . that's what he brings. Kempt's has a really long release(kinda like Tim Tebow), and Lagow seems to have a better arm.

Reaction Score
Having said all that, when a kid commits early he or she opens the door for downgrading because the offers quit coming and the rating and evaluators grade the players up based on the offers..

I don't mean to contradict you, but I can't help but think that a team like Alabama isn't going to look at a kid and say, "Well, he says he's committed to UConn, better throw in the towel." Not saying it necessarily has to be that way, but I'm not sure I agree with your premise here about kids committing early necessarily being less attractive.

Reaction Score
Having had one child ranked in the top 50 recruits in the nation and go on to start for four years at LSU, having had some D1 exposure myself back when dino and fred roamed, I could not agree more with pushing and competition. I hope that if a QB arrives at UCONN that he pushes others to get better and when it is his turn there is someone pushing him. Where I disagree is takng two in a class. A good recruiting system brings one in each year and everyone has a legitimate opportunity that is his to surrender. I think it is unfair to at least one of the commits, even if it is the other player.

Reaction Score
I don't mean to contradict you, but I can't help but think that a team like Alabama isn't going to look at a kid and say, "Well, he says he's committed to UConn, better throw in the towel." Not saying it necessarily has to be that way, but I'm not sure I agree with your premise here about kids committing early necessarily being less attractive.

Well the kid your school is recruiting met Saban in the middle of the football field during the summer before his junior year and was told they had a spot for him and then he broke his ankle and spent the summer, when others were making the circuit, rehabing and working. After he committed, to try and eliminate distractions from his team and because of the quality of school, all contact stopped until three or four days ago.

Reaction Score
Understandable perspective, especially if there is personal interest.

Both the 1994 Tennessee recruting class and 1995 Michigan recruiting classes had mre than 1 QB. Lots of other examples too. Lots of variables go into recruiting. I have no idea what the final 2013 recruiting class will look like for UConn, will have a good idea when we all ge together at Rentschler field again in 2 weeks, but no matter what, I welcome more competition at each and every position on the UConn roster as we work to building to yet another championship squad.

Reaction Score

Well the kid your school is recruiting met Saban in the middle of the football field during the summer before his junior year and was told they had a spot for him and then he broke his ankle and spent the summer, when others were making the circuit, rehabing and working. After he committed, to try and eliminate distractions from his team and because of the quality of school, all contact stopped until three or four days ago. K. Lagow

Wow!! I guess you can think you might be right sometimes, but I guess it can also be that sometimes, you can be completely wrong too! I think you were just both!! :) Saban WAS interested, then he wasn't, but now he IS again?? So let me get this right....we might be competing with Alabama for Lagow?? HotDamn!! I guess the naysayers have something new to consider! As for me... I say... this kid is the ticket!!! Let's do what we have to, to hold onto him!!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
This year we will have one Senior QB (Whitmer) and one RF QB (Cochran). Taking two QB's in this class, while awkward may just be necessary given the CR mess and the PP mess. I am assuming CC beats our McCummings for the backup spot and the wildcat is sent to the dustbin. One of the TF QBs if both sign, may end up playing this year.

Reaction Score
Mr Lagow, keep one thing in mind. QB has been a position of weakness for us since we've stepped up to the FBS level. But as fans, we embrace them all.

Reaction Score
Love Richard as a QB and as a person and think he's better than anyone else we will bring in so I hope it doesn't bother him. Most programs have five playable QBs at all times, taking one a year and redshirting the youngest, we will have 3 next year including Richard (Whitmer, Cochran, Lagow) because McCummings can't throw. That's not much depth. We saw last year, Cochran broke his ankle in a fall from a bicycle; Whitmer had to come out of a game with a concussion. You never know what might happen. I think the best thing for the program would be to bring in 2 QBs this year for depth, and I fully expect Rich Lagow will win that competition. I'm sure once he does he'd be grateful to have backups around so that if he has to miss time for any reason the team can still win.

Thanks for letting us know how things stand, K Lagow!

Ditto.....Except for Cochrans ankle...It was his wrist......I also thank K Lagow.

Reaction Score
FWIW.....Alabama already has 3 QB commits this year and all three have enrolled in Janaury. LSU has the #3 and #6 rated QBs in the country both committed this year. QB is the position that makes or breaks a team. You need years with 2 commits due to transfers or injuries. It is a given that QBs will transfer when beaten out. UConn lost Nebrich last year. McCummings can't be considered a viable QB at this point. We need 2 QBs this year.

pj

Reaction Score
Having had one child ranked in the top 50 recruits in the nation and go on to start for four years at LSU, having had some D1 exposure myself back when dino and fred roamed, I could not agree more with pushing and competition. I hope that if a QB arrives at UCONN that he pushes others to get better and when it is his turn there is someone pushing him. Where I disagree is takng two in a class. A good recruiting system brings one in each year and everyone has a legitimate opportunity that is his to surrender. I think it is unfair to at least one of the commits, even if it is the other player.

I agree, as a general rule. One of the QBs will win the competition and the other will be disappointed. It's better to take 1 per year because every QB gets the advantage of a year's experience on the competition at some point in his career. If you take two, sometimes the loser is a very good QB, like Matt Cassell who never started at USC but was drafted by the Patriots and succeeded in the NFL.

In this case, Lagow is good enough that it's unlikely he'd lose a competition. So we're effectively recruiting a backup. We weren't recruiting any 2nd QB until Kempt and Boyle got orphaned by coaching changes. Both needed a spot and had a history with UConn, Boyle as the top Connecticut QB this year and Kempt with Weist. Since nearly all schools are full at this point, orphaned players might not mind coming in with the expectation of being a backup, at least they would have a scholarship and good coaching and facilities and teammates and a chance to compete. Then consider the lack of depth at QB at UConn, after Nebrich transferred and McCummings hasn't panned out, and even if it was a 2 QB class there would be less competition for Lagow than at schools who take 1 QB every year and have 5 on the roster.

But, you and Richard and the UConn coaches know the situation, we fans don't. Odds are neither of the two orphans land here. Hopefully Richard doesn't reconsider. I really want to see him play for us.

Reaction Score
Understandable perspective, especially if there is personal interest.

Both the 1994 Tennessee recruting class and 1995 Michigan recruiting classes had mre than 1 QB. Lots of other examples too. Lots of variables go into recruiting. I have no idea what the final 2013 recruiting class will look like for UConn, will have a good idea when we all ge together at Rentschler field again in 2 weeks, but no matter what, I welcome more competition at each and every position on the UConn roster as we work to building to yet another championship squad.

?

Uconn has had some classes with 2 qb's, it's not unusual for a program to bring in two qb's. For those who don't understand, it's
coach p's job to bring in more talent than we have on the current roster. He has to constantly out recruit the previous class.

Reaction Score

Appreciate your perspective Mr. Lagow. We have had a few player' parents come visit and contribute over the years (Kashif Moore and Ryan Griffin's dads of late). Your son seems to be a born leader with passion. You should be proud.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I wouldn't go that far, I'm excited about the kid, but let's not anoint him our savior just yet.

Call it a gut feeling. Moxy, leadership, success on the field.

Reaction Score
Call it a gut feeling. Moxy, leadership, success on the field.

Oak, I agree, the kid has swagger, but it's got to come together on the field. I'm looking forward to seeing him in national flag blue colors, let's hope he can read defenses.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't go that far, I'm excited about the kid, but let's not anoint him our savior just yet.
I still shake my head when he asks for money so I think he would tell you I would not want anyone to anoint him to being anything but an 18 year old who still leaves his damn shoes at the door...... My job is easy from here out, I just have to stay out of his way and let him grow.

Reaction Score
?

Uconn has had some classes with 2 qb's, it's not unusual for a program to bring in two qb's. For those who don't understand, it's
coach p's job to bring in more talent than we have on the current roster. He has to constantly out recruit the previous class.

You're just echoing my thoughts. We agree. It was suggested that having more than one QB in a class might not be desireable, and my response, was that if there are personal interests involved, maybe so, for those with personal interests, (i.e. a parent that may really want to see their kid out on the playing field)

but having multiple players in a class, at any position, not just QB, it's not in any way a negative thing for a football program, building a team to win championships,and preparing individual players for success on the field and in life. There has to be structure to recruiting, but when you get a chance to have an impact player, you take them.

As for what I wrote, the 94 Tennessee class had a kid named Manning in it, and the 95 Michigan class had a kid named Brady in it. Neither was the only QB brought in for their respective recruiting classes. Matt Cassel has been mentioned. etc etc Plenty, plenty examples of recruiting where multiple QB's come in the same class, and success abounds.

Competition on a depth chart, makes a team better - at all positions. There are a TON of variables that go into recruiting from both sides, recruiter and prospect. If it fits, it fits.

From everything I can gather about Lagow, the kid is a player that would be great to have, and is genuinely excited about being at UConn - a fit from both sides.

I hope in two wednesdays, when the coaches are givng their presentations at Rentschler, that we get to hear a lot more about Lagow, and see his film among a good 20 or so other great players coming out of high school as well that will make up the UConn recruiting class of 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom