19-20 MBB Schedule Release! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

19-20 MBB Schedule Release!

Reaction Score
The OOC schedule should have had 1 marquee opponent at XL (although I wanted Florida at Gampel), but I am guessing the move to the Big East complicated the OOC scheduling since when they join next year you're moving to a 20 game conference schedule and conference challenges while still needing early season cupcakes sprinkled in for tune ups (and Hurley probably making a big push for Gampel).

It's not ideal, but the AAC, ESPN, and Hartford Wolfpack did UConn no favors.

I think Saint Joe's or Temple would have been fine cutting out 30 minutes of drive time to play at the XL and the Wolf Pack, ESPN and the AAC wouldn't really have cared.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Same here.

We're willfully scheduling Saint Peters and playing them on Sundays.

Shut up about the freaking Wolf Pack, already.

Uh, the Wolf Pack are *why* UConn *can't* play at the XL Center most Saturdays. The state of Connecticut pays MSG $1.5 million every year for it, too.

Blaming the AAC is fun, I get it, but that's not a problem after this year. The Wolf Pack thing? *THAT'S* the real problem.

Reaction Score
Uh, the Wolf Pack are *why* UConn *can't* play at the XL Center most Saturdays. The state of Connecticut pays MSG $1.5 million every year for it, too.

Blaming the AAC is fun, I get it, but that's not a problem after this year. The Wolf Pack thing? *THAT'S* the real problem.

The school has leverage here.

There's no reason they can't play at noon on those Saturdays.

There's no reason that even if they have to play on Sundays, that it could be Temple and not Saint freaking Peters.

And besides, I'm not really sure UConn-St Peters is exactly blowing the Wolf Pack out of the water in terms of attendance, particularly if the game is on Sunday.

The 9pm Temple start time is like something out of space.

zls44

Reaction Score
Easiest thing they could've done is put Maine at Gampel and put St. Joseph's at the XL Center.

zls44

Reaction Score
The school has leverage here.

There's no reason they can't play at noon on those Saturdays.

There's no reason that even if they have to play on Sundays, that it could be Temple and not Saint freaking Peters.

And besides, I'm not really sure UConn-St Peters is exactly blowing the Wolf Pack out of the water in terms of attendance, particularly if the game is on Sunday.

The 9pm Temple start time is like something out of space.

Preaching to the choir, here. But the AAC doesn't get a lot of Saturday slots. They just don't. And they certainly don't wanna waste them on their hot GF who is jumping in a Ferrari with a new hot guy.

Reaction Score
Easiest thing they could've done is put Maine at Gampel and put St. Joseph's at the XL Center.

That's really all i'm saying. The XL ticket holders got ripped off.

Like the Florida game I get. If it's in Gampel the atmosphere is amazing. If it's in the XL, they're packing the house and maximizing profit. Both are good, right so who really cares?

I'm even fine w/ most of the good conference games being in Gampel.

But you can't even scalp your first five XL games on that schedule. Might as well own Alabama hockey tickets.

zls44

Reaction Score
Here's another one - Nov. 30th, UConn Hockey is playing Miami (OH) at 4 PM, which is a nice OOC game. Football is on the road at Temple. MBB is playing Maine the next day, against the NFL.

Why not just move the hockey game earlier, have a little DH action, get fans to come into Hartford, spend the day there, organize a FB viewing party someplace (hopefully during the 3 hours they need to convert the arena over, but I doubt they'd get that lucky with the time slot). Gets Miami out of town sooner, too. Everyone wins. Great day for UConn, Hartford, the fans.

Reaction Score
The schedule is fine outside of the St. Peter's Peacocks, New Hampshite, NJIT back to back to back. Can't do anything about the days and time slots, this conference blows and doesn't get good time slots.

Do we beat Iona?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Half the home schedule (9 Games), including most key games, conflicts with the NFL. This is attendance suicide. I would blame the AAC breakup for the conference games, however 4 non conference games or 44% of these Sunday games can be just chalked up to the Athletics Dept incompetency. A disturbing trend we have cataloged.
Too many administrators with fancy tittles get paid too much to screw up too often.
Susan herbst has fancy tittles

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Does anyone in the AD have an ounce of scheduling creativity? We all know they don't have much when it comes to logos...

C

Chief00

That problem needs to be fixed now. But the Wolf Pack play away sometimes and you also have Gampel - so it part of the mess but not the sole reason.
I would start by setting an example and firing whoever does the schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You get the XL crowd pissing and moaning about weekday games at Gampel being too difficult to get to on week nights and long drives home after game gets over.
But you don't get the XL crowd pissing and moaning about weekday games at the XL. They like them. So of course UConn gave them mostly Sunday games.

Reaction Score
Did anybody look at the Wolfpack schedule before going off on these rants? The Wolfpack are away on three of the five weekends of the Sunday XL games.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
what?

Don't know how scheduling works, but I assume TV has a huge hand in game dates / times. AAC seems to be the bottom of the pecking order to get on ESPN channels, and because of this UConn keeps getting stuck with a lot of 9PM weekday tips and bad weekend start times (Sunday afternoon games).

While it will no longer matter for us, thankfully, I'm curious to see when the they move the bulk of the AAC content to ESPN+ if the conference will get more "primetime" games on that platform. Less 9PM Wednesday games and more Saturday night contests.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom