13th Scholarship Player - Apostolos Roumoglou - 6'7 G - Greece | Page 4 | The Boneyard

13th Scholarship Player - Apostolos Roumoglou - 6'7 G - Greece

Reaction Score
The latest guy was 6’4” last year per FIBA, hence the guard label. We’ve seen that before, high skill Euro guard grows and becomes Luka Doncic. So I agree if you’re filling out the bench these guys have more upside. If they don’t have the athleticism to play, you’ll figure that out pretty quickly anyway.

Listed at 6'7

Reaction Score
I'm going to say something that isn't controversial at all but nonetheless burns people's butts:

Currently, the 3 best basketball players in the world were born and raised in the Balkans, a small little peninsula of about 30 million people.
And if Yugoslavia was still a country they would dominate the world in basketball. Insane basketball culture and basketball talent there.

Reaction Score
Its really hard to tell what skill level you have with some of these foreign players. Their fundamentals and mechanics seem to be really solid most of the time. You have to see them on the court against Big East level competition for before you really know what you are dealing with. It makes bringing them in exciting because you never know when you just landed a Giffey, or even a Henefeld. We just presume they are developmental.
I hear you but I think it's pretty safe to say these guys are developmental based off of who they are and what Hurley said about them. Giffey had other big time offers and probably would've been a top 50 recruit if he was American, Henefeld was also an established big time player that other top Big East schools wanted.

Reaction Score
Keep the Greeks coming - just don't recruit the island of Mypos

Reaction Score
I hear you but I think it's pretty safe to say these guys are developmental based off of who they are and what Hurley said about them. Giffey had other big time offers and probably would've been a top 50 recruit if he was American, Henefeld was also an established big time player that other top Big East schools wanted.
I’m sorry but this narrative about Henefeld simply isn’t true. He was not established and no one really knew about him. Here’s what actually happened….

Nadav wrote letters to dozens of NCAA programs. Only one responded - St. John’s. Carnesecca sent Henefeld a plane ticket to come visit because they had a spot they needed to fill and it was late in the recruiting cycle. Lou had never even seen tape of Nadav. He visited, liked the team, hated the fact that it was a commuter school. Through Israel hoops contacts, Henefeld became friendly with Blazers scout Marv Kessler, who called Mitch Buonaguro immediately after the St. John’s visit and two days before Nadav returned to Israel. Nadav took the train to Fairfield, loved the campus, but after watching practice, he told Kessler that he could play at a higher level. Kessler made dozens of calls in the next day and the only coach who responded was JC, because of course The GOAT was the only U.S. coach who actually watched the Maccabiah Games, an international competition among Jewish amateur athletes from dozens of countries.

After Kessler called Calhoun, this was JC’s quote in a Boston Globe article: ''I had seen Nadav in the Maccabiah Games,'' Calhoun said. ''I asked my wife, Pat, What did I say about him? She said, `You thought he was a special player, but you didn`t know what he would do at the next level.` ''

So Nadav was connected to the kosher butcher from Waterbury, who picked up just off the Merritt in Fairfield and drove him to Storrs. He was literally on no one’s radar. In fact, Lior Arditti, who played at BC, was the one Israeli that year on college coaches’ radars.

Reaction Score
If my recollection is correct, both of these players played on their home country's U18 National team. That is not so easy to come by, it says a lot about them and is a high marker for how good these players may turn out to be.

I'm very enthused by the addition of these international players, and the recruiting networking which brought them here, and the continuing success in these waters.

Props to the coaching staff and a warm welcome to Apostolos and Yasson. I am sure that they will be competing for minutes the same as anybody, and working hard to develop their game.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
the kid likes the top of the key - thats for sure

Reaction Score
I’m sorry but this narrative about Henefeld simply isn’t true. He was not established and no one really knew about him. Here’s what actually happened….

Nadav wrote letters to dozens of NCAA programs. Only one responded - St. John’s. Carnesecca sent Henefeld a plane ticket to come visit because they had a spot they needed to fill and it was late in the recruiting cycle. Lou had never even seen tape of Nadav. He visited, liked the team, hated the fact that it was a commuter school. Through Israel hoops contacts, Henefeld became friendly with Blazers scout Marv Kessler, who called Mitch Buonaguro immediately after the St. John’s visit and two days before Nadav returned to Israel. Nadav took the train to Fairfield, loved the campus, but after watching practice, he told Kessler that he could play at a higher level. Kessler made dozens of calls in the next day and the only coach who responded was JC, because of course The GOAT was the only U.S. coach who actually watched the Maccabiah Games, an international competition among Jewish amateur athletes from dozens of countries.

After Kessler called Calhoun, this was JC’s quote in a Boston Globe article: ''I had seen Nadav in the Maccabiah Games,'' Calhoun said. ''I asked my wife, Pat, What did I say about him? She said, `You thought he was a special player, but you didn`t know what he would do at the next level.` ''

So Nadav was connected to the kosher butcher from Waterbury, who picked up just off the Merritt in Fairfield and drove him to Storrs. He was literally on no one’s radar. In fact, Lior Arditti, who played at BC, was the one Israeli that year on college coaches’ radars.
Yep, I guess I shouldn't have said "that other top Big East teams wanted" but I knew he would've been playing for the Johnnie's if they had a campus and Calhoun offered him after he won MVP.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Very nice recap. This is the first I’ve heard that he had a stop at Fairfield.

Post like these are what I love about The Boneyard.

Reaction Score
I'm going to say something that isn't controversial at all but nonetheless burns people's butts:

Currently, the 3 best basketball players in the world were born and raised in the Balkans, a small little peninsula of about 30 million people.
Luka isn’t top 3 just yet.

Reaction Score

Like CL82 said wonderful recap, didn’t know the detailed version of his story. Very cool thank you. JC was right, special he was!

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I'm guessing that you're referring to Nikola, Giannis and Luka.

Ljubljana (where Luka was born) and Athens (where Giannis was born) are about 1,600 miles apart, and the nations in question run from the Slovenian alps to the Greek Islands. This isn't exactly a tiny section of the world.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing that you're referring to Nikola, Giannis and Luka.

Ljubljana (where Luka was born) and Athens (where Giannis was born) are about 1,600 miles apart, and the nations in question run from the Slovenian alps to the Greek Islands. This isn't exactly a tiny section of the world.
I think that's KMs, but yeah, 1,000 miles is a long distance. Still not a lot of people on that peninsula. As the crow flies, it's shorter. You're going through mountains the entire way

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think that's KMs, but yeah, 1,000 miles is a long distance. Still not a lot of people on that peninsula. As the crow flies, it's shorter. You're going through mountains the entire way
It's miles and for perspective, considering the west to east distance, it's a greater distance than any starting to ending point in Italy. Additionally, if you were to consider the former Yugoslav nations as one country, there is still Albania between those nations and Greece.

Reaction Score
I think most understand that. This isn't like last year where we thought guys like Rahsool were going to be somewhat ready.
Pretty quick lesson-learning by Hurley here.

In the Portal Era, if you're going to use all your scholarships, make sure the end of the bench guys are low-floor/high-ceiling types where they don't expect to play, won't immediately leave if they show promise but don't play (or would just leave if they look buried on the bench), might stick around to develop over a few years, and can give you a big lift if they turn out better than expected.

What you don't want is guys who expect to play, but don't, and either poison the locker room or leave before their potential can translate to games.

Reaction Score
It's miles and for perspective, considering the west to east distance, it's a greater distance than any starting to ending point in Italy. Additionally, if you were to consider the former Yugoslav nations as one country, there is still Albania between those nations and Greece.
I checked and it was KM, not Miles. So this is a weird discrepancy.

I once trained through Greece and the ex-Yugo in the 80s. Ended up in Trieste before heading north to Udine.

Reaction Score
I think Durant, Curry, Embiid are still a bit better. He’s definitely on that level though.
I would no longer put Durant there. Once upon a time yes. I easily accept that Curry and Embiid are above.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

What's with you Greek guys and butts anyway?

Reaction Score
I would no longer put Durant there. Once upon a time yes. I easily accept that Curry and Embiid are above.
I won't necessarily disagree. To be fair, I am in the opinion that Durant and LeBron are still top-5 players, especially when it matters. I think i'm probably in the vast minority with the opinion on LeBron, but AD and Westbrook have not helped him out at all the last 2 seasons.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom