13th Scholarship Player - Apostolos Roumoglou - 6'7 G - Greece | Page 3 | The Boneyard

13th Scholarship Player - Apostolos Roumoglou - 6'7 G - Greece

Reaction Score
UConn men’s basketball adds second international player, Apostolos Roumoglou from Greece

Hurley noted that he wants to continue recruiting internationally, but begin earlier in future years to help find top talent.
Kind of a weird comment, unless I’m reading into it too much. Seems like he’s implying that neither of the players he recruited are “top talent,” but rather fliers that would be a nice surprise if they pan out.

If that’s the case, are these likely mid-ceiling low-floor players who were brought in under the assumption they’d sit at scholarships number 12/13 for a couple years and, unless they really surprise, return to overseas play?

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Is there tape of him doing anything other than shooting a 3 pointer?

Reaction Score
Sorry to seem cynical, but barring a rash of injuries, is it really likely that these last minute European recruits to actually get much PT? Or are they mainly being recruited to provide practice bodies?
You taking this year? Probably not. Or three years? Hopefully.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Kind of a weird comment, unless I’m reading into it too much. Seems like he’s implying that neither of the players he recruited are “top talent,” but rather fliers that would be a nice surprise if they pan out.

If that’s the case, are these likely mid-ceiling low-floor players who were brought in under the assumption they’d sit at scholarships number 12/13 for a couple years and, unless they really surprise, return to overseas play?
Hurley hasn’t seen either play in person, so assuming it’s a flyer on their skills & athleticism. But Hurley did spend plenty of time talking to both via Zoom before bringing them to UConn. Meaning regardless if they surprise or not on the floor, they have the character to contribute to the team culture.

At least that’s the way I see it.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Roo-MOW-glue

It’s actually ROOM-oh-glue, emphasis on the first syllable. Spelled Ρούμογλου in Greek. Trust me. I’m Greek.

His name comes from the Turkish/Arabic word Roum (a person of Greek descent or people of Anatolia/middle east who lived there since pre-Islamic times), and the Turkish word “oglu” which means “son of”. He probably has family roots in Istanbul like my father.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
UConn should have a consistent pipeline of players from Greece. There is a strong Hellenic student presence on campus.
I know nothing about the Hellenic student population, but Greece is the home of the Olympics, the Antetokounmpos and the Gyros and that should be celebrated through good food, good basketball and athletic domination.

Reaction Score
Nice 'lil stepper before he spins it through the nylon. I don't know. Could be a part time fan fave or just passing curiosity. Probably depends on how hard he works for it. Some skills evident but not sure of the opposition or circumstances. Sure like the add if he can provide depth that at least adds some range when he gets on the court. We need an ice man! Keep practicing!

Reaction Score
Not every player is going to be a 3/4 star prospect that will immediately contribute. Work hard in practice, play well in the few blowout minutes they might get, and maybe there’s a place in the rotation for them in years 3/4. Low risk medium reward on the international players.

Regardless, welcome to Storrs and welcome to the team!

Reaction Score
What's cool about both of our international signings is that I have absolutely zero expectations for either of them: I don't mean that as a slight on either player, just I'm excited to see what they bring to the table without the pressure or anxiousness I feel watching a four- or five-star prospect develop.

Reaction Score
You’ve got to applaud the way Hurley and staff are building the team. High ranked recruits, proven transfers, and now expanding their net globally. Next step is to get Stewart to commit from out west

Reaction Score
It’s actually ROOM-oh-glue, emphasis on the first syllable. Spelled Ρούμογλου in Greek. Trust me. I’m Greek.

His name comes from the Turkish/Arabic word Roum (a person of Greek descent or people of Anatolia/middle east who lived there since pre-Islamic times), and the Turkish word “oglu” which means “son of”. He probably has family roots in Istanbul like my father.
Yes, this breaks the rule for the majority of Greek names, but you're right it's first syllable for 3 syllable Glous. Greek names are second syllable if three syllables, first if two, and a bit more complicated if 4 or more.

I'm Greek too by the way.

Reaction Score
I know nothing about the Hellenic student population, but Greece is the home of the Olympics, the Antetokounmpos and the Gyros and that should be celebrated through good food, good basketball and athletic domination.
I'm going to say something that isn't controversial at all but nonetheless burns people's butts:

Currently, the 3 best basketball players in the world were born and raised in the Balkans, a small little peninsula of about 30 million people.

Reaction Score
Yes, this breaks the rule for the majority of Greek names, but you're right it's first syllable for 3 syllable Glous. Greek names are second syllable if three syllables, first if two, and a bit more complicated if 4 or more.

I'm Greek too by the way.
It’s all Greek to me

Reaction Score
Step back 3 without hesitation and quick release. You get covered pretty tightly in the BE and we’ve had highly touted shooters and players not be able to or willing pull the trigger quick enough.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley straight up said these euros aren't going to play. I'd dial it back folks
Developmental players. Still great additions who have a chance to contribute down the line. It’s a low risk, high potential reward strategy.

Reaction Score
Developmental players. Still great additions who have a chance to contribute down the line. It’s a low risk, high potential reward strategy.
Its really hard to tell what skill level you have with some of these foreign players. Their fundamentals and mechanics seem to be really solid most of the time. You have to see them on the court against Big East level competition for before you really know what you are dealing with. It makes bringing them in exciting because you never know when you just landed a Giffey, or even a Henefeld. We just presume they are developmental.

Reaction Score

I much prefer these tall shooters with a bit of skill as our developmental guys vs some low ceiling guys we've recruited before. The 10-13th man isnt going to play anyways. Might as well take a flier on the guys with potential to blow up into a star

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I much prefer these tall shooters with a bit of skill as our developmental guys vs some low ceiling guys we've recruited before. The 10-13th man isnt going to play anyways. Might as well take a flier on the guys with potential to blow up into a star
The latest guy was 6’4” last year per FIBA, hence the guard label. We’ve seen that before, high skill Euro guard grows and becomes Luka Doncic. So I agree if you’re filling out the bench these guys have more upside. If they don’t have the athleticism to play, you’ll figure that out pretty quickly anyway.

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
Plus with the new transfer rules, if it becomes apparent after a couple years that they can't compete at this level, the player can find a better fit without penalty and the team frees up a scholarship.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom