#1 Notre Dame vs. #9 Oregon State | Page 4 | The Boneyard

#1 Notre Dame vs. #9 Oregon State

Reaction Score
She definitely does seem to be their best player. She has tremendous size, skill, and athleticism. She also has the ability to score on all three levels, which makes her really good. She has given OSU a lot of troubles the past two times they have played.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Notre Dame wasn't the more unselfish team, they're just the better team. With the exception of the PG position, they have such a massive advantage over Oregon State player for player. Slocum dominated the first half with something like 16 points but then faded in the 2nd half, and no one else for OSU could pick up the slack.

2nd half I thought they were definitely the more unselfish team....Notre Dame had 13 assists in the half to Oregon State's 6. Slocum started to play hero ball while ND attacked the basket and got their bigs involved. I love Slocum and think she can take Oregon State to new heights, but she'll need to engage her teammates more than she did in the 2nd half. They'll also need post players to finish looks inside. Grymek had a couple of plays where she was deep in the post but bricked shots pretty badly. She just doesn't have good touch around the basket if she's being defended. Tough to go up against Shepard/Turner who make up arguably the best post duo in the country.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She definitely does seem to be their best player. She has tremendous size, skill, and athleticism. She also has the ability to score on all three levels, which makes her really good. She has given OSU a lot of troubles the past two times they have played.
She is also ND's best (perhaps only adequate) perimeter defender for a few years now.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
2nd half I thought they were definitely the more unselfish team....Notre Dame had 13 assists in the half to Oregon State's 6. Slocum started to play hero ball while ND attacked the basket and got their bigs involved. I love Slocum and think she can take Oregon State to new heights, but she'll need to engage her teammates more than she did in the 2nd half. They'll also need post players to finish looks inside. Grymek had a couple of plays where she was deep in the post but bricked shots pretty badly. She just doesn't have good touch around the basket if she's being defended. Tough to go up against Shepard/Turner who make up arguably the best post duo in the country.
In order to get assists, you need teammates who can actually score. As you so accurately described, OSU lacked scorers when it counted, especially in the post. Turner, meanwhile, was automatic every time she caught the ball down low.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Notre dame only played 7 players all game and the 2 subs added 0 points.
OSU played 5 subs that added 30 points.
Are the ND fans on their forum screaming we need bench help?

Another interesting stat
ND averages 51 points in the paint per game and gives up 28 points in the paint, per game.
UConn averages 36 points in the paint per game and only gives up 20 points in the paint per game.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
My bad, it was last tied just under 4 minutes left. The ND surge started with more time left on the clock than I thought.

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
My bad, it was last tied just under 4 minutes left. The ND surge started with more time left on the clock than I thought.

And exactly at the point that Arike stopped shooting.

Reaction Score
Problem was she Lou was a complete liability for us with her ankle being the way it was. She couldn't have kept Geno from scoring 30 that night either.

KLS was playing in help on the posts in the FF as we had difficulties there in the earlier game. Young was left open due to her low 3 pt shooting, so I see you are blaming KLS for Geno’s game plan and the fact that the refs called an offensive foul on her that was a block and another that was non existent when she was standing straight up but what’s knew LOL

Reaction Score
Everybody remember this game. Let's see what Rueck and coaching staff are able to accomplish rest of the regular season before OSU plays ND again in the NCAAs. Difference tonight is ND knew how to close out a game, and OSU did not. Rueck has 3 months to dramatically improve the post position for OSU. If that happens, OSU will be in great shape come tournament time.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
She is also ND's best (perhaps only adequate) perimeter defender for a few years now.

Coco: Excuse me, but I can't quite get the intent on this particular one (in italics).
- Is Jackie ND's best defender and no one else is adequate?
- Or she's the best .. and is only adequate?

Have you had a chance to see any games yet this year? Jackie is, by far, ND's best outside defender.
However, I've been encouraged by two of our freshman so far: Prohaska is at her best on the perimeter, exhibiting some good in-your-face defense and she moves her feet well. A tad too aggressive at times, but that will be learned. And Gilbert has good eye-to-hand/feet movement, jumping passing lanes a few times against Gonzaga and Drake.

BTW, I do remember you stating your opinion on Young a few years back.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco: Excuse me, but I can't quite get the intent on this particular one (in italics).
Have you had a chance to see any games yet this year? Jackie is, by far, ND's best outside defender. However, I've been encouraged by two of our freshman so far: Prohaska is at her best on the perimeter, exhibiting some good in-your-face defense and she moves her feet well. A tad too aggressive at times, but that will be learned. And Gilbert has good eye-to-hand/feet movement, jumping passing lanes a few times against Gonzaga and Drake.

I have not had a chance to evaluate Prohaska's and Gilbert's perimeter defense yet. I was mostly speaking about the last couple of seasons. Jackie was the ND's best perimeter defender & is more than adequate. That is also a big part of her not getting enough credit because she should have been on the the All-ACC all defensive team last year. The other two ND perimeter defenders Marina and Arike are inadequate IMO.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Have you had a chance to see any games yet this year? Jackie is, by far, ND's best outside defender.
However, I've been encouraged by two of our freshman so far: Prohaska is at her best on the perimeter, exhibiting some good in-your-face defense and she moves her feet well. A tad too aggressive at times, but that will be learned. And Gilbert has good eye-to-hand/feet movement, jumping passing lanes a few times against Gonzaga and Drake.

IIRC Muffet said in Jackie’s freshman year that she was their best perimeter defender. No secret there. Not that Ogunbowale and Mabrey are horrible. Young is just outstanding. Yet another reason why she is even more valuable to this team than Arike imho.

Lili Thompson last year was also an excellent defender. But of course she only played half a season before her injury.

Reaction Score
One thing that OSU definitely missed was the 6’5/6’6 mobile post that he is used that having. I think for at least three consecutive possesions, Shepard, guarded by Grymek, came to the high post to set a screen on Young’s defender, and Young pulled up because Grymek wasn’t quick enough to get out. I think that is where Aquino may help because she is agile and mobile - especially compared to Grymek. Hard to win a game against ND with not offensive or defensive post threat.

Reaction Score
KLS was playing in help on the posts in the FF as we had difficulties there in the earlier game. Young was left open due to her low 3 pt shooting, so I see you are blaming KLS for Geno’s game plan and the fact that the refs called an offensive foul on her that was a block and another that was non existent when she was standing straight up but what’s knew LOL
I completely agree. The calls on her were BAD. Not blaming her or Geno for her being a liability. She had to play, there is no one else better than her even at 50%. I'm just saying we didn't have the real Lou and that killed us in the end. This isn't meant to be a diss to Lou or Geno, I was just simply stating that she couldn't move. She had to play, though. Too big of a threat offensively.

Reaction Score
One thing that OSU definitely missed was the 6’5/6’6 mobile post that he is used that having. I think for at least three consecutive possesions, Shepard, guarded by Grymek, came to the high post to set a screen on Young’s defender, and Young pulled up because Grymek wasn’t quick enough to get out. I think that is where Aquino may help because she is agile and mobile - especially compared to Grymek. Hard to win a game against ND with not offensive or defensive post threat.
Agreed. Patricia Morris, the 6'7" freshman, has potential. Rueck really likes her, and I believe Patricia Morris will get considerably more playing time over the next 3 months. Nobody knows what is 6'9" Andrea Aquino's issue? If OSU gets Andrea Aquino playing this year, that will help immensely. Grymek is at best, a short term substitute to rest starters. All I can say is I am encouraged by OSU at this stage of the season. It is easy to forget that Destiny Slocum only has 6 games on the books with this team. By the end of the season, Destiny Slocum will be more in synch with her OSU teammates.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any news on Andrea Aquino? Last I heard she was dealing with an injury or something.

Reaction Score
Does anyone have any news on Andrea Aquino? Last I heard she was dealing with an injury or something.
Nobody knows in the State of Oregon. Even the local sports writers don't even bring it up? It is really a well kept secret.

Reaction Score
OSU-ND plays

For anyone interested in watching some plays in the game, this guys tweeted a lot of highlights. Slocum blew past Young a few times. She is deceptively very quick.

Reaction Score
Notre dame only played 7 players all game and the 2 subs added 0 points.
OSU played 5 subs that added 30 points.
Are the ND fans on their forum screaming we need bench help?

Another interesting stat
ND averages 51 points in the paint per game and gives up 28 points in the paint, per game.
UConn averages 36 points in the paint per game and only gives up 20 points in the paint per game.
Didn't see box score but if 2 subs played significant minutes throughout game this seems fine.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Didn't see box score but if 2 subs played significant minutes throughout game this seems fine.
Notre Dame actually played 4 subs, but 2 of the 4 only played 2 minutes a piece (Vaughn and Patterson). Perimeter players Abby Prohaska and Kaitlyn Gilbert played 26 minutes between them (12 and 14) and had minimal statistical impact. (They totaled 0-3 FG, 2 reb, 4 ast, 1 TO, 6 PF). But Muffet needed them to give the starters a rest (especially Mabrey who played in her first game this season yesterday but was able to log only 19 minutes). And in a game this competitive, there were no garbage minutes. They final score does not indicate how close the game was. Oregon State played tough!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
IIRC Muffet said in Jackie’s freshman year that she was their best perimeter defender. No secret there. Not that Ogunbowale and Mabrey are horrible. Young is just outstanding. Yet another reason why she is even more valuable to this team than Arike imho.

Lili Thompson last year was also an excellent defender. But of course she only played half a season before her injury.
I disagree that Mabrey is horrible on the perimeter. While she has slow foot speed, she has fairly quick hands. She was extremely effective in the 2-3 zone that the Irish employed last season. Her slow foot speed is more of an issue when ND plays man-to-man defense, but she shows more effort on defense than Arike typically does, and her defensive anticipation also helps. But Jackie is clearly the best perimeter defender.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Watching that game while listening to Notre Dame's radio announcer, who is supposedly a beloved institution among the ND fans, was torture.
There are several Irish fans who cannot stand the way the guy announces a game. True he's a terrible homer, which is obvious on TV broadcasts, but he is far worse on radio! First, you cannot see for yourself whether his outrage over calls is accurate (without video evidence). Given how biased he is when he calls TV games, you have a good idea that many of the calls are perfectly good calls. Second, he gets upset and just stops play-by-play for 10-20 seconds at times because he is so outraged by the call. When he finally stops ranting, you have to check online because doesn't bother bring you up to date. It's as if he forgets that his audience is not viewing the game. Very frustrating.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom