#1 Notre Dame vs. #9 Oregon State | Page 3 | The Boneyard

#1 Notre Dame vs. #9 Oregon State

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Interesting stats for ND

Young had 23 and Ogunbowale and Turner both had 21. Young had 14 FGA and 5 FTA, Turner had 13 and 4, Ognubowale and 22 and 10. Can you spot the low efficiency player?

Arike had a bad first half but played a lot better in the 2nd. Hit a key three and didn't play hero ball in the 2nd besides one ill advised three. Ended up with 21 points, 5 boards, 3 assists and 0 turnovers despite a poor shooting night. Down the stretch Notre Dame was the more unselfish team and that's why they were able to execute and win.

Reaction Score
I think Young is showing that she is NDs best player. She can take over a game offensively, run the point and get the team involved, and rebound! All while shooting efficiently. She's definitely the most complete player for them

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I'd rather ND be undefeated when we play them anyways...Jackie Young is their best player. I think it's becoming less of a debate by the day.

You could make a strong case for any of their starting 5 as their best player. Tonight Turner was the star in the 2nd half IMO...she finished with 21/9, 17 coming in the 2nd. Shepard had 17/10 and looks like she's slimmed down a lot. Young had a stellar game and Arike is now 6/6 for scoring 20+ points in a game. Mabrey also had a good first game back with 9 points. Notre Dame is potent.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
How about 23p, 9r, 7a from Young with no TOs.

It's almost freaky how she can look ordinary against a cupcake and can play like a first team AA against ranked opponents.
You really know how to rub it in.

Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec for OSU is also a stud. 17 points on 8-14 with 8 rebounds and 5 assists. Oregon State a fairly young team. Will only lose McWilliams and Grymek. Kennedy Brown and Taylor Jones will likely have immediate impact in the post. Those two will be key.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Arike had a bad first half but played a lot better in the 2nd. Hit a key three and didn't play hero ball in the 2nd besides one ill advised three. Ended up with 21 points, 5 boards, 3 assists and 0 turnovers despite a poor shooting night. Down the stretch Notre Dame was the more unselfish team and that's why they were able to execute and win.

Notre Dame wasn't the more unselfish team, they're just the better team. With the exception of the PG position, they have such a massive advantage over Oregon State player for player. Slocum dominated the first half with something like 16 points but then faded in the 2nd half, and no one else for OSU could pick up the slack.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Mikayla Pivec for OSU is also a stud. 17 points on 8-14 with 8 rebounds and 5 assists. Oregon State a fairly young team. Will only lose McWilliams and Grymek. Kennedy Brown and Taylor Jones will likely have immediate impact in the post. Those two will be key.
But Pivec was only 1-4 from the free throw line and missed a critical 3 in the 4th quarter which OSU needed to stay close.

Reaction Score
I was surprised ND didn't go inside as much in the first half, but MM doesn't like to show all her cards until the second half. This was Turner's best game of the season, and against a taller team. I hope this gets her going.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
It was a tie game w/ 2 minutes left. If ND is so obviously superior at every position, how was it tied so late in the game? OSU didn't finish well, other than that I'd say they showed very well.

Reaction Score
I was surprised ND didn't go inside as much in the first half, but MM doesn't like to show all her cards until the second half. This was Turner's best game of the season, and against a taller team. I hope this gets her going.
PSA Oregon State posts are not good. I am surprised Shepard and Turner didn’t go for more. One critical player who disappeared was Corosdale. She nailed a three then blew past Shepard or Turner then disappeared.

Reaction Score
Agreed. Missed too many shots and decision making was suspect at a couple of moments. This team looks good though...Rueck will have them as a major threat this year.
She does tend to regress to hero ball at times. In some other games she would drive and kick out. In this one she tended to look for her own shot. The team has plenty of shooters but you have to keep them engaged. If you do not hit them when they are open they tend to get out of rhythm or end up taking forced shots.

If the get Aquino on the floor and up to speed by the playoffs they will be dangerous. Aquino is a threat to score from 15 in. The reason they do not know how to close the deal is because during the game they tend to get away from doing what works best for them.

Reaction Score
It was a tie game w/ 2 minutes left. If ND is so obviously superior at every position, how was it tied so late in the game? OSU didn't finish well, other than that I'd say they showed very well.
Like I've said before. They are more susceptible to losing than last years UConn team was & I personally don't think it's that close. They had the perfect storm to win at the buzzer. Much like MS St.

Reaction Score
The OSU radio guy just said he’s not a fan of Mabrey during the postgame analysis. :D

Reaction Score
I think the key both this year and next will be Aquino. She is an offensive threat when she is on the floor along with having the height to create problems in the middle. Next year they will be really tough. Morris came from a weak high school program and though she has potential but is not really D1 ready.

Plebe

Reaction Score
PSA Oregon State posts are not good. I am surprised Shepard and Turner didn’t go for more. One critical player who disappeared was Corosdale. She nailed a three then blew past Shepard or Turner then disappeared.
Corosdale was the victim of foul trouble. She spent time on the bench in the first half after her 2nd foul, and she picked up her 3rd and 4th fouls in rapid succession early in the 3rd quarter. That was pretty much it for her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OSU was probably feeling pretty confident after beating South Carolina. A big part of the game is played between the ears.

Reaction Score
I’ve witnessed her execute dirty plays before in other games. When a rebounder goes up high for a rebound, she’ll bend down and go into their legs and upend them. Very dangerous play. Seen her do it a couple times.
She learned that move from Mabrey

Plebe

Reaction Score
You're way too easily offended.

Because OSU played out of their minds in the first quarter, that's how. If they could shoot 73% all the time, they'd be unbeatable. But Notre Dame won every quarter after that. Since this isn't horseshoes or hand grenades, I'd like to see them do more than just "show well" and close the deal, rather than collapse down the stretch just like they did last year against ND.

Reaction Score
I think OSU may be a threat for the title next year. They will (hopefully) have Aquino eligible, and they also bring in two of the top 2019 posts in Jones and Brown. Depending on how game ready they are, they seem likely to make immediate impacts. Scott likely brought Morris in knowing she was more of a project.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I'd rather ND be undefeated when we play them anyways...Jackie Young is their best player. I think it's becoming less of a debate by the day.
I said this same thing more than a year ago October 2017
Don't think a ND team based around Arike being the main cog is the best thing for ND. Would hate to see Young overlooked in favor of Arike or Mabrey because I believe she is more talented. I'm a UCONN fan not necessarily in it for what's best for ND.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom