Will B12 Add UConn This Week? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Will B12 Add UConn This Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I'm with ya except for the fact that Boren, and others, still seem to be pushing hard to add despite #6. To @SubbaBub 's point, until there's a path to a B12 Network (which involves Texas swallowing some pride re: LHN)... Then there's nothing to announce for expansion. So I'm sure it will be discussed but I doubt there will be any definitive outcome.
Yep, I think Boren's motives are clear, wrestle power away from UT and get in the game for the long run, but they simply wont get enough of the fence sitters on board without the CFP justification. Too bad, I think we had a real shot.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The one who takes her home always has the BEST stories the next day compared to the guys who took home the hot ones....

Right. Because she'll let you stick it anywhere, is so much more appreciative AND will cook you a mean breakfast.

But if you're with your friends and bump into her in public the next day, you'll deny everything.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 is an out of control clown car driven by a rich and powerful bully. Instead of its members challenging the status quo to try to secure their collective futures, they have likely sold them for short term financial gain. You can't fix stupid.

Reaction Score
No chance anything concrete happens out of this meeting.

Best we can hope for is positive movement in the direction of expansion.
Us being #2 for Big 12 expansion is about as positive movement as it can get. The next step is an invitation to whichever conference.

There's nothing wrong with cute "fat" chicks as long as it's not carelessness.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yep, I think Boren's motives are clear, wrestle power away from UT and get in the game for the long run, but they simply wont get enough of the fence sitters on board without the CFP justification. Too bad, I think we had a real shot.

Voting: Sooners & Jayhawks are definites. They strongarm their "little brothers" for a yes vote. (KSU is stuck in the wilderness if OK & KU bolt & Okie Lite isn't a lock for the SEC). Baylor has been "reported" to be a yes vote. The Mounties are definite.. ISU has no place to go if the XII dissolves, so they can be persuaded. Who would be the swing vote? My guess is TCU: WVU will remind them that not too long ago THEY were looking for a life raft when the XII magically appeared. There's my 8 votes needed. But there will likely be months of back room card dealing before it comes to fruition

Reaction Score
IMO, the decision will/should be made easier for the B12 when our football team (and fan support) show/have more success. We do that this next season it'll happen.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The one who takes her home always has the BEST stories the next day compared to the guys who took home the hot ones....

I really think UConn is more the nerdy chick, not much makeup, unflattering clothes....we are Diane Franklin in Better off Dead, once you look closely enough...the one you want to marry. Cinci is the ugly girl with a nice body...maxed out and can never be more than they are. The ACC took the dumb blonde last time. Memphis is this year's even dumber blonde that isn't even good looking unless you squint. Hopefully the Big XII isn't beer goggling that hard.

Reaction Score
IMO our fan support will be fine. It's laughable to hear fans of schools "in the club" talk about our home attendance compared to theirs when they have a slate of P5 nationally branded teams visiting their place. Go back to when BE was in its 'prime,' we had no problem filling the Rent. And once we are in a P5 playing a B1G, B12, or ACC schedule we will again have no problem filling the Rent.

Right now we are playing the Animal House equivalent of Mohammed, Jugdish, Sydney, and Clayton. End of the day, we will find our Delta house, and when we do the party will be epic.

Reaction Score
The Big12 meeting is about ALOT more than expansion. As UConn fans we only care about expansion (as we should) but expansion only occurs if the B12 makes a major business course correction.

OU President Boren has decided the Big12 business model is flawed and is not competitive/sustainable. The Big12 has always taken a more individualist approach by allowing its teams to sell their tier 3 media rights. Under the Big12 business model the collective value of the conference media rights was not believed to be significantly larger than media value of the individual program added together. As such, the more valuable individual programs like UT thought they would lose money if they fully and evenly shared revenues with the ISUs and KSUs of the conference. The LHN may be an abomination to other members in the B12 but that is the system they agreed to and UT just took advantage of the system.

The SEC and Big10 have proven a more collective model is superior beyond a shadow of a doubt. (At least in the current cable system, who knows what happens as more people unplug and live streaming increases in the future?) In essence the Big10's and SEC's recent revenues demonstrate the collective media right in a large, geographically diverse region far exceeds the sum of the individual schools' media value. OSU is making more money in the Big10 than they could on their own even while sharing that revenue with Purdue and Indiana.

Boren is asking the Big12 to adopt a B10 type business model. That means expansion into new media areas, that means more collective bargaining of all conference media rights (B12 network) , that mean more centralized authority in the conference commissioner. Basically Boren is asking the University Presidents to acknowledge financially everything the B12 did for the past 5 years was wrong. This is not going to be accepted in a 3 day meeting.

Reaction Score
If there is another round of expansion within the existing P5 model. If one league collapses, then all bets are off. (CR Rule #2: the terrain is always changing as are the prevailing motivations) Someone thought BC was a good choice at one point.

The B12 announces nothing or even decides on anything until the LHN question is resolved. The LHN question won't be resolved until either UT or ESPN wants it resolved. OU has no power here, including threats to leave the B12. UT is confident enough that it can hold the B12 together with enough Texas schools for the B12 to remain at the P5 level. OU leaving doesn't bother them enough to change their mind.

So, I don't see the Big 12 expanding until the $$$ is made whole not including any CCG bump. Make that happen and drop the demand for UT to give up the LHN and then you can talk about who is being added.

OU leaving makes the B12 a marginal conference at best.
It would be the end of the B12.

Reaction Score
Right. Because she'll let you stick it anywhere, is so much more appreciative AND will cook you a mean breakfast.

But if you're with your friends and bump into her in public the next day, you'll deny everything.
Texas: hey you know what would be fun? Let me stick a few of your home games in NYC and foxborough.
Uconn: Well I don't usually let guys do that, especially the first time. But you are so rich and popular Texas you can stick those games wherever.
Texas: also can you be cool and not tell Texas A&M or Nebraska about this?
Uconn: yea sure, if you want to spend the night I make a mean undefeated women's basketball team.
Texas: I have an early meeting.

Reaction Score
Texas: hey you know what would be fun? Let me stick a few of your home games in NYC and foxborough.
Uconn: Well I don't usually let guys do that, especially the first time. But you are so rich and popular Texas you can stick those games wherever.
Texas: also can you be cool and not tell Texas A&M or Nebraska about this?
Uconn: yea sure, if you want to spend the night I make a mean undefeated women's basketball team.
Texas: I have an early meeting.
this is getting weird

Reaction Score
Poor women...

See how valuable our women's basketball program becomes now?

Reaction Score
the newest rumored list for expansion candidates is:

7. Texas State
Scott Bakula Sinbad Necessary Roughness Kathy Ireland.jpg
????

pj

Reaction Score
The Big12 meeting is about ALOT more than expansion. As UConn fans we only care about expansion (as we should) but expansion only occurs if the B12 makes a major business course correction.

OU President Boren has decided the Big12 business model is flawed and is not competitive/sustainable. The Big12 has always taken a more individualist approach by allowing its teams to sell their tier 3 media rights. Under the Big12 business model the collective value of the conference media rights was not believed to be significantly larger than media value of the individual program added together. As such, the more valuable individual programs like UT thought they would lose money if they fully and evenly shared revenues with the ISUs and KSUs of the conference. The LHN may be an abomination to other members in the B12 but that is the system they agreed to and UT just took advantage of the system.

The SEC and Big10 have proven a more collective model is superior beyond a shadow of a doubt. (At least in the current cable system, who knows what happens as more people unplug and live streaming increases in the future?) In essence the Big10's and SEC's recent revenues demonstrate the collective media right in a large, geographically diverse region far exceeds the sum of the individual schools' media value. OSU is making more money in the Big10 than they could on their own even while sharing that revenue with Purdue and Indiana.

Boren is asking the Big12 to adopt a B10 type business model. That means expansion into new media areas, that means more collective bargaining of all conference media rights (B12 network) , that mean more centralized authority in the conference commissioner. Basically Boren is asking the University Presidents to acknowledge financially everything the B12 did for the past 5 years was wrong. This is not going to be accepted in a 3 day meeting.

Yes ... but also, when talking conference networks, bigger is better. LHN is a 1-school network and has failed commercially but if you include content from mediocrities like Purdue, Iowa, Minnesota, Rutgers, etc (or Ole Miss, Miss State, Auburn, Arkansas, South Carolina, Missouri) it complements the power schools content and brings in a lot more cable subscribers. It's the same principle behind cable bundling, lumping ESPN with the Weather Channel, Nickelodeon, HBO raises revenue to everyone.

The trouble is that Texas has a choice about which bundle it wants to belong to -- B12 bundle, SEC bundle, B1G bundle, ACC bundle, Pac bundle -- it can be in any of them it chooses -- and in some of them (ACC), it can carve out special deals a la Notre Dame. It has no real motivation to commit to the least valuable bundle (B12). And if UT is out, then the B12 bundle is a failure commercially, even with additional schools.

There is also the possibility to create a multi-conference bundle, e.g. a B12+ACC network or B12+Pac network or even a B12+Pac+ACC network.

Really, Texas has to make a decision. Oklahoma is pushing Texas to decide now, not delay, with the threat of making its own commitments that take B12 options off the table. The networks have a lot to say about what is possible. Texas has to consider potential political repercussions from damaging the other B12 Texas schools (Tech, TCU, Baylor). It is a complex decision-making process. You can see why Texas would want to take its time.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Best we can hope for is positive movement in the direction of expansion.
Or complete chaos with OU stomping out the door like a petulant child. Anything other than status quo is good.

Reaction Score
it really amazes me how pessimistic this board is re: conference alignment in general. ...

Really? Seriously?! You are amazed at how pessimistic we are regarding CR? There was this conference called the Big East - we played in it for decades in basketball and football. It was the best basketball conference ever and football suited us fine. We have been passed over several times since all this started and been kicked in the nuts over and over and over and we keep winning yet that just doesn't seem to matter. Hell yeah we are pessimistic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom