Will B12 Add UConn This Week? | The Boneyard

Will B12 Add UConn This Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Big 12 athletic directors and presidents are scheduled to attend on Feb. 4-5 a regular conference meeting. Could OK President Boren force the issue of adding two schools and have the B12 make a decision sooner rather than later. Know most of the nation is more carefully watching the Iowa caucus for presidential candidates tonight, but UConn fans -- in CT, NY and elsewhere (such as now in Ann Arbor) -- are more interested in the Dallas "caucus."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
My opinion:

1) Big 12 expansion feelers began over a year ago when they missed the first CFP.
2) UConn has been in communications with the big 12 since.
3) The big 12 would only have expanded if CCG reform had failed.
4) They would have justified the move financially by moving to a conference network model
5) We would have been one of the two teams in given our access to the NYC market
6) But, since CCG Passed
7) This meeting is a formality to put the project on ice.

Reaction Score
Big 12 athletic directors and presidents are scheduled to attend on Feb. 4-5 a regular conference meeting. Could OK President Boren force the issue of adding two schools and have the B12 make a decision sooner rather than later. Know most of the nation is more carefully watching the Iowa caucus for presidential candidates tonight, but UConn fans -- in CT, NY and elsewhere (such as now in Ann Arbor) -- are more interested in the Dallas "caucus."
This has been discussed on here in multiple threads as well:
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/tul...y-talks-b-12-expansion-league-s-future.86889/
http://the-boneyard.com/threads/boren-on-video.86937/

Reaction Score
My opinion:

1) Big 12 expansion feelers began over a year ago when they missed the first CFP.
4) They would have justified the move financially by moving to a conference network model
5) We would have been one of the two teams in given our access to the NYC market
6) But, since CCG Passed
This meeting should be more like a European front during WW I with both sides digging in..on the pro-expansion side you have OU and WVU...and the non expansion side you have some of the Texas schools like Baylor...Texas seems to be in the fence

Reaction Score
If past history is any indicator the Big12 is incapable of quick action. The B12 could have had Louisville and if you believe B12 fans' ridiculous speculation FSU/Clemson but they could not pull the trigger. As always the biggest problem in the Big12 is UT and UT has shown no indication of changing. The only reason the Big12 expanded last time was they had to get to 10 and they expanded with the least level of creativity, "Take the best football team right now..what do you mean markets and population? Them things ain't gonna win football games....now gimma TCU and WVU."

No doubt UT is annoyed at OU President Boren and it is hard to believe they will give him his way easily. My guess is UT slow rolls the whole process with a multi-month fact finding process and scheduling a series of future meetings. The LHN is still a major impediment and that is not going to get resolved in a 3 day meeting.

By the time the Big12 gets around to approving expansion (if at all) it will be the worst kept secret on the planet and , if the Big10/ACC are interested in the expansion teams, they will probably beat them to the punch.

I really hope I am wrong but expecting a quick B12 offer is probably not a good bet.

Reaction Score
I live out of market - and like to think I've got a pretty good read on college athletic departments given a lot of my connections through baseball and it really amazes me how pessimistic this board is re: conference alignment in general. I literally had a 20 minute conversation with UMass' new A.D. Rob Bamford and he basically said UConn holds all the chips in terms of realignment for almost everyone and they're 100% the next school to get an invite. I've spoken with people at B.C., Northeastern, Vermont and other schools who all said the same thing - and said it pretty emphatically.

I've read a couple of stories - including this one right here - that have Uconn at the top of the wish list just based on geographic footprint and TV. I think UConn makes sense for any of the Big XII, B1G or the SEC. I'd PREFER the B1G, but i'll take anything over the American right now...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I live out of market - and like to think I've got a pretty good read on college athletic departments given a lot of my connections through baseball and it really amazes me how pessimistic this board is re: conference alignment in general. I literally had a 20 minute conversation with UMass' new A.D. Rob Bamford and he basically said UConn holds all the chips in terms of realignment for almost everyone and they're 100% the next school to get an invite. I've spoken with people at B.C., Northeastern, Vermont and other schools who all said the same thing - and said it pretty emphatically.

I've read a couple of stories - including this one right here - that have Uconn at the top of the wish list just based on geographic footprint and TV. I think UConn makes sense for any of the Big XII, B1G or the SEC. I'd PREFER the B1G, but i'll take anything over the American right now...
ND has all the cards. We're the best looking fat chick at last call.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If there is another round of expansion within the existing P5 model. If one league collapses, then all bets are off. (CR Rule #2: the terrain is always changing as are the prevailing motivations) Someone thought BC was a good choice at one point.

The B12 announces nothing or even decides on anything until the LHN question is resolved. The LHN question won't be resolved until either UT or ESPN wants it resolved. OU has no power here, including threats to leave the B12. UT is confident enough that it can hold the B12 together with enough Texas schools for the B12 to remain at the P5 level. OU leaving doesn't bother them enough to change their mind.

So, I don't see the Big 12 expanding until the $$$ is made whole not including any CCG bump. Make that happen and drop the demand for UT to give up the LHN and then you can talk about who is being added.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess our best hope is that Boren has a revenue neutral alternative to the LHN. If that's the case Texas can look statesman-like and take it "for the good of the conference. My sense, however, is that Texas would rather blow the whole thing up rather than appear to have blinked.

Reaction Score

UCONN would make sense for the SEC? In What kind of scenario? I'm not buying that.

Reaction Score
UCONN would make sense for the SEC? In What kind of scenario? I'm not buying that.
I remember a big time publication a few years back released an article saying the SEC may look to add UCONN for its northern reach into big markets for SECN, competition for UK in hoops and an in conference patsy for football. I mean it's not thatttt crazy.

Reaction Score
I remember a big time publication a few years back released an article saying the SEC may look to add UCONN for its northern reach into big markets for SECN, competition for UK in hoops and an in conference patsy for football. I mean it's not thatttt crazy.

Chief00 predicted it years ago.

Reaction Score

Remember what happened to TCU. They were announced and celebrated to come to the then, Big East. They wound up in the B12. I get the feeling the same thing may happen to UConn. We "may" be announced and accept a B12 invite, but we will wind up in the B1G. Just my wild guess.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
My opinion:

6) But, since CCG Passed
I'm with ya except for the fact that Boren, and others, still seem to be pushing hard to add despite #6. To @SubbaBub 's point, until there's a path to a B12 Network (which involves Texas swallowing some pride re: LHN)... Then there's nothing to announce for expansion. So I'm sure it will be discussed but I doubt there will be any definitive outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom