Will B12 Add UConn This Week? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Will B12 Add UConn This Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The B1G cant' take us without a partner. If the Big12 takes us with Cincy, what is the B1G going to do? Just take us? they can't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's clear that the B1G and ACC can not expand unless they have two divisions of equal football teams. The B1G can't have 15 and they ACC can't have 15.

So sure, if Delany wants to view us going to the Big12 as getting promoted to AAA until the majors (B1G) are ready to come calling, I can see them as just fine with our AD surviving until they're ready to take us.

The B1G knows that most schools - such as UConn will come to the B1G whenever they come calling, regardless of the decade.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The B1G cant' take us without a partner. If the Big12 takes us with Cincy, what is the B1G going to do? Just take us? they can't.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's clear that the B1G and ACC can not expand unless they have two divisions of equal football teams. The B1G can't have 15 and they ACC can't have 15.

So sure, if Delany wants to view us going to the Big12 as getting promoted to AAA until the majors (B1G) are ready to come calling, I can see them as just fine with our AD surviving until they're ready to take us.

The B1G knows that most schools - such as UConn will come to the B1G whenever they come calling, regardless of the decade.

The Big Ten played with 11 for a long time. 15 is tricky, but not impossible. 15 is relatively more easy for the ACC, since they are unbalanced in all sports but football. It would give them 16 for everything else.

That said, I don't see it. I am feeling pretty hopeful about the Big XII right now and I'm just worried about a massive let-down like we had with the Louisville decision.

Reaction Score
If the ACC was managed properly they would have taken UConn before. The ACC has to take a long look at its prejudice against UConn -- from just part of the conference -- and realize what is in its best long-term interest. It is clear the ACC ought to preemptively make an offer to UConn now or the long-term impact from UConn being in someplace like the B12 could hurt the ACC conference. Pretty soon the ACC is going to have to offer a conference TV network and really push to make its presence felt in NYC. It is clear that poor choices -- both now and in the past -- by the ACC may lead to its early demise!

Reaction Score
In an era when geography doesn’t (seem to) matter I guess B12 would do. At least it is P5 instead of G5. Beyond that it really isn’t a desirable move. You are effectively saying 'ANY P5 conference that will have us is acceptable'. Excuse me for saying it, but this ‘We’ll go home with anybody who has P5 credentials’ attitude makes UConn look like the ugly girl at the dance. The thing is, you’re NOT the ugly girl…you’re kind of hot. If you wait you will end up where you belong, in ACC or B1G. Simply put, UConn is to valuable a commodity to sit in the AAC indefinitely. The ‘waiting’ is brutal...I'll give you that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In an era when geography doesn’t (seem to) matter I guess B12 would do. At least it is P5 instead of G5. Beyond that it really isn’t a desirable move. You are effectively saying 'ANY P5 conference that will have us is acceptable'. Excuse me for saying it, but this ‘We’ll go home with anybody who has P5 credentials’ attitude makes UConn look like the ugly girl at the dance. The thing is, you’re NOT the ugly girl…you’re kind of hot. If you wait you will end up where you belong, in ACC or B1G. Simply put, UConn is to valuable a commodity to sit in the AAC indefinitely. The ‘waiting’ is brutal...I'll give you that.

Waiting isn't an option. The Big XII is no more geographically challenging than our current conference. The basketball is top notch, and the football is second to the B1G (realistically excluding the SEC) as draw. Florida State and Clemson would be huge, but OU and Texas are just as big a draw, and the other programs are a notch above what the ACC has. The Rent will be packed if we have Big XII teams visiting. It's a perfectly fine situation for us.

Reaction Score

UConn is playing with borrowed money right now. It cannot sustain this model. The gap between the G5 and P5 is growing every year and, at some point, UConn will not be able to keep up. UConn is a hot girl right now but a few more years of living in the AAC crack house and we'll be ugly.

So to answer your question "yes, any P5 conference that will have us is acceptable." Conference realignment is unpredictable. Just because UConn might end up in the B12 now does not mean we won't have an opportunity for the BIG later (please God let us get an offer!)

We are not the ugly girl at the dance...we are the really single girl. And we need a partner now...we can sleep around later

Reaction Score
Waiting isn't an option. The Big XII is no more geographically challenging than our current conference. The basketball is top notch, and the football is second to the B1G (realistically excluding the SEC) as draw. Florida State and Clemson would be huge, but OU and Texas are just as big a draw, and the other programs are a notch above what the ACC has. The Rent will be packed if we have Big XII teams visiting. It's a perfectly fine situation for us.

Although we deserved a better fate, we've been an wall flower at the CR prom. I think it is total BS, but it is what it is. We can't be choosy - the Big 12 will be just fine. Further we'll come to appreciate it and look back and say the B1G and double the ACC. I hope it happens and Delany and Swofford regret not taking us. We will thrive and they can tend to their respective dumpster fires at Rutgers and BC/Syra et al.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

Why can't we wait for the B1G or ACC while members of the XII and make 20 mill more per year doing it? Why wait here?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

This. Letting UConn go the Big 12 is a net positive to the B1G.

It allows the Big 12 to retool the LHN into the Big 12 Network. The next conference network will, likihood will be the last conference network, with the cable sport basic tier model unraveling. That means that the ACC's chances of getting network would be even further reduced, which would, in turn destabilize the ACC. The B1G has ACC targets who would become available should the ACC continue to fall behind in conference earnings.

Meanwhile UConn has a home to grow as a P5 school while it continues to move toward needed B1G/AAU metrics. The B1G is in a position to take it anytime, if needed or not.

Reaction Score

There are 25 to 30 million reasons (per year) why UConn needs to take a P5 offer NOW. Given the State's budget crisis, our athletic budget will be unsustainable. This isn't rocket science--or some cute high school beauty contest analogy

Reaction Score
Don’t believe my tone was acerbic, nor confrontational. Just an observation. The posts subsequent to mine make perfect sense. I stand corrected.

Don't take the follow up posts personally. There are some really smart passionate UConn fans on this board who have literally invested hundreds of hours into conference realignment. In fact I'd go so far as to say several main posters on this board understand the dynamics of conference realignment better than the ACC/Big12 Commissioners.

For the first time in a while there is real hope for UConn in a P5 conference. With hope comes emotions...do not take that emotion as an attack. Thanks for posting

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There are 25 to 30 million reasons (per year) why UConn needs to take a P5 offer NOW. Given the State's budget crisis, our athletic budget will be unsustainable. This isn't rocket science--or some cute high school beauty contest analogy

IF we are getting invited to the Big 12, there will be a very large "buy in". We aren't getting $25 to $30 million in year one (or year two or year five for that matter), and probably won't get a full share until the next TV contract. I expect any revenue bump to be very modest. The Big 12 doesn't have to pay us more.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
IF we are getting invited to the Big 12, there will be a very large "buy in". We aren't getting $25 to $30 million in year one (or year two or year five for that matter), and probably won't get a full share until the next TV contract. I expect any revenue bump to be very modest. The Big 12 doesn't have to pay us more.

Still a better situation though. Easier to sell tickets to home games with Texas/Oklahoma/Baylor/WVU than Northwest Catholic/Xavier/Weaver/Masuk... I mean Tulane/Tulsa/SMU/Buffalo (are they in our league, yet? If not, sign 'em up!).

Reaction Score

Even with a step-wise buy-in, we'd still be in a better financial position than the slave wages AAC. Aspire to your handle: #BegHarder

Reaction Score
The Big Ten played with 11 for a long time. 15 is tricky, but not impossible. 15 is relatively more easy for the ACC, since they are unbalanced in all sports but football. It would give them 16 for everything else.

That said, I don't see it. I am feeling pretty hopeful about the Big XII right now and I'm just worried about a massive let-down like we had with the Louisville decision.
Are conferences allowed to have a CCG with an odd number of teams in divisions? Remember, the ACC allegedly was looking into 3 divisions of 5 - or at least some surmised - but they were shot down by the B1G's amendment.

Reaction Score
If B12 opening becomes questionable, should UConn refocus on the ACC? (Playing BC soon in football. Diaco has improved football team significantly from the PP era.) Or just wait it out in AAC with the hope B10 may call someday.

Reaction Score
UConn takes the first hard P5 offer on the table. There is no waiting it out in the AAC. Staying in the AAC is like a cancer patient forgoing cancer treatment in the hopes some new improved cancer treatment gets discovered in the future. By the time the treatment is discovered he'll likely be dead.

Any P5 offer is better than where we are now and there is no assurance a future P5 offer will come. Besides UConn can always work toward an alternate P5 offer from within an existing P5 conference.

Reaction Score
If B12 opening becomes questionable, should UConn refocus on the ACC? (Playing BC soon in football. Diaco has improved football team significantly from the PP era.) Or just wait it out in AAC with the hope B10 may call someday.

If I'm on fire should I let my fiance put me out or wait for the fire department to show up?

Reaction Score
There are people out there -- not me -- who think UConn should stay in the AAC until B10 calls. They don't see the AAC conference as a purgatory. Many are so angry at ACC for taking Louisville they don't want UConn to join, even if asked. And plenty of fans in the B12 would like to see other schools beside UConn get priority for an opening. So it is a legitimate question. UConn does not want to become another Rutgers or BC -- a college in the wrong conference for what they offer.

Reaction Score
There are people out there -- not me -- who think UConn should stay in the AAC until B10 calls. They don't see the AAC conference as a purgatory. Many are so angry at ACC for taking Louisville they don't want UConn to join, even if asked. And plenty of fans in the B12 would like to see other schools beside UConn get priority for an opening. So it is a legitimate question. UConn does not want to become another Rutgers or BC -- a college in the wrong conference for what they offer.
UConn fans who feel this way are allowing their emotions to cloud the reality. I hate the ACC for what they did to UConn but they are still a better option than the AAC. Money fuels college sports programs...the AAC pays $2 million the ACC pays $22 million. The cards are stacked against the teams in the G5, not just in money but in access. If you doubt this watch what happens in the NCAA tournament selection show this year or the NCAA NY6 football games next year. The G5 teams will get cut out for less deserving P5 programs.
FYI what the fans want is irrelevant. If the Big12 expands they will take the teams that bring them the most financial value. Only the ACC selects teams based on a popularity contest. When the NE sold out to the ACC and Big10 and did not stand together they sold their fans out for money. Nothing has changed...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom