What's your biggest flip out after a UConn loss? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

What's your biggest flip out after a UConn loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
During last year's drubbing in the NCAA tournament to Iowa State, I was literally ordering pitchers for myself (The waitress was all, "We're technically not supposed to allow this, but.. you look like you could use it." I was so hungover the next morning I had to leave work after an hour.

Reaction Score
It was Laettner for me too.

I threw my UCONN hat across the room and and it hit some italian crystal piece that my wife was given by my sister smahing is it to pieces. I didn't intend to do it jst a lucky throw.
The rest of my friends just walked out of my apartment after that stunt.

Fast forward 22 years and the other night I was in rare form after Coudougan hit that 3.
Nice to know I still got it :)

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I believe it was the 09/10 season, when Cinci was dominating us on the boards and that team's effort was lackadaisical. With about 10 minutes left Cinci has a possession where they simply had one put back after another after another after another until they put one in and was fouled, I simply jumped out of my seat, walked over people and left the building. My wife and friends were like what's he doing? After I left, I'm told everyone was talking about how they've never seen me like that before (and never have since)

Reaction Score
I forget which game it was but after a last second loss a few years ago I threw my cable remote hard at the floor. It popped apart with pieces going everywhere. I taped it back together and the only buttons that worked were the up/down channel buttons.
LOL. Isn't that the only buttons you need? Oh and the power button.

Reaction Score
A kid on my floor in Lafayette freshman year punched through a window after The Darius Rice Incident. Just decided it was the right idea.
I read the title of the thread and this was the first game that popped into my head - still can't believe we lost.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I've tried to forget about the bad losses and not hold on to them enough to flip out, but every one of those mentioned in this thread definitely had me in a sour mood for anywhere from hours to a few days.

While I've never flipped out over a loss, there are three incredibly painful wins that come to mind immediately as games where I flipped out during the game because I thought we were going to lose:

• Gonzaga, Elite Eight, 1999 (had FF tickets and airfare purchased and could not believe all my dreams were about to vanish like that).
  • Pitt, BET Finals, 2004 (roller coaster of a night for me: first and only time I ever got ripped off scalping tickets--bought fakes--and ended up getting in with decent deal on legit tickets shortly thereafter; down eight with something like two minutes left and it felt like we were down 20).
  • Duke, FF Semis, 2004 (was at the game and thought I was having a cardiac event; my buddy vowed to carry me out if I did; could not bear the thought of hanging out in San Antonio for three more days while Duke partied on).
Honorable mention to Kentucky, FF Semis, 2011 (also at that game, obviously a grueling win with the same fears as the Duke Semi above, but had a good feeling we would pull it out, and have to admit that after two NCs in the bank, it seemed less dire--except for the thought of losing to Calapari).

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
I have had my fair share of freak outs. I will usually get pretty despondent after a loss and if it's particularly bad I have been known to punch a wall or two. My girlfriend has figured out it is probably best to just leave me alone when UConn loses.

Here are two stories that mostly involve my friend's poor choices after a loss.

Vs Kentucky in MSG 09-10 season: We had very good seats on the risers behind the basket. As the final buzzer sounds my brother kicks the row of chairs in front of us and all 10 chairs in the row fall forward into the Kentucky fans that had been sitting in them. I start apologizing to everyone and trying to help put the seats back. I look to my friends and brother only to realize they had all booked it out of there immediately. I was left standing alone with a row of broken chairs and a bunch of Kentucky fans staring at me. In the end, the Kentucky fans were actually pretty nice saying they knew how he must have felt, but we were not able to fix the seats.

Vs MSU Final Four 08-09 season: I had been living with this guy in Boston for a couple years and eventually he jumped on the UConn bandwagon. During the week leading up to the game we realized that if MSU beat UConn my roommate would win at least $700 in a pool my dad was running. When my brother and a couple other friend found out they were giving him a pretty hard time about it. My brother jokingly said to him, "You know that if MSU beats UConn you have to get us all strippers - it would be the right thing to do. " So as we all know UConn loses and everyone is pretty upset. Unbeknownst to the rest of us my roommate has ordered us a Limo. It pulls up about half an hour after the game when the depression is really starting to sink in. There are bottles of liquor ready to go and we drive to the Strip Club. Once we get there he hands each of us $50 in $1s and says to go crazy. The night ended up being pretty good after all. I actually felt kinda bad because we definitely blew through all his winnings and probably some more, but that will teach him to never pick against UConn in the tourney again.

Reaction Score
Mine would have to be the 2009 final four game with msu. Me and my dad drove from Madison to Detroit in the car. During that ride we were talking about uconn winning it all and said msu had no chance to beat us. During the game I was screaming after every play and eventually lost my voice. Then all of the msu fans started harassing us and almost got into a fight with them. To this day I will no longer go back to Detroit. Those Msu fans were really bad!!!!!

D

Deleted member 3149

I respect your opinion, but disagree... Our path wasn't very hard to final four, the chemistry you rightly point out was nice but not that necessary. Without Dyson, MSU wasn't going to be without our long term starting five. Hey, there's worse things than losing to a Tom izzo team, dude teaches his teams to bang, as did Calhoun. It's the soft teams we eat for breakfast, especially in the tourney
I respect your opinion, but disagree... Our path wasn't very hard to final four, the chemistry you rightly point out was nice but not that necessary. Without Dyson, MSU wasn't going to be without our long term starting five. Hey, there's worse things than losing to a Tom izzo team, dude teaches his teams to bang, as did Calhoun. It's the soft teams we eat for breakfast, especially in the tourney

I definitely agree with part of what you're saying. We certainly would have been deeper with Dyson, but who's to say he wouldn't have brought us down with turnovers and poor shot selections. I guess we'll never know... Would be nice to have '99 '04 '09 '11 (and should be '06 as well but that's a whole different story I don't feel like getting worked up about. God I hate George mason...)

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
  • Hibbert/Georgetown 08': punched a hole in my drywall and broke my hand.
  • USF in 2010: washed my car until the paint came off.
  • Marquette 2012: tackled my Christmas tree.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
All I can say is thank God that Arizona guy didn't nail that 3 against 2 years ago. I honestly don't know what I would have done.

You don't want to know what I would have done.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
All I can say is thank God that Arizona guy didn't nail that 3 against 2 years ago. I honestly don't know what I would have done.

Holy crap. No kidding.

D

Deleted member 3149

#1- losing to George mason...sat there in disbelief for a solid 3 hours. Wouldn't talk to anyone.

#2- losing to San Diego in 08. I know we weren't that good, but that game just pissed me off

#3- 6ot vs the cuse. Would be #1, but was too tired to damage anything that late

#4- Michigan state loss. Just painful...

#5- not sure, but I bet there's many more I can't even think of

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
For me, UConn vs MSU in the final4 of 2009.

My best buddy from home went to MSU attended the game (bastard). We had trash talked all year about how good both of our teams should be. There was a lot of trash talking leading up to the game and unfortunately for me, still to this day.

To start the year, I bought a new UConn cap (tradition for me). As the season progressed, I considered this to be a lucky cap (except versus Pitt) and was very cautious with it, sure to wear it every game.

While celebrating our W over Missouri in the E8 on-campus, a friend-of-a-friend who was an annoying bandwagon basketball fan knocked my cap off my head in celebration, and dirtied it. I knew then we were going to lose to MSU.

After the inevitable MSU loss, in my drunken stupor, I lit my cursed hat on fire and watched it burn. Later that night I saw the friend-of-a-friend at another party. When he asked me about my hat, I half-jokingly pushed him into the direction of a fire pit. He wasn't expecting this, and actually stumbled onto the fire pit before quickly rolling out. He was fine, no injuries, just a ruined sweatshirt. At the time it seemed deserved. Now, it seems borderline overreactionary.

Reaction Score
Losing to Maryland in 02' for more painful to me than losing in the FF to MSU in 09'. There were like 30 something lead changes in that game. Also Marcus White getting the ball stuck between the rim against Texas in the last minute. I would rather lose in the sweet 16 than elite 8, so any elite 8 loss is where the real destruction starts in my house.

Reaction Score
You guys are a bunch of flip outs. Glad I don't watch games with any of you.

I usually get over losses by crushing a large pizza.

It's also the same way I celebrate victories.

Reaction Score
My biggest flip out was actually during a stressful win. 2002 vs Arizona (the one in Arizona). UConn was struggling. I don't remember the details of the game. I just remember that my girlfriend kept walking in front of the screen and asking about her many outfits. She was stressed because we were going out with a few couples and all had, at one point or another, seen her in all the outfits she had. I cared even less than I usually would because I knew we weren't going out with those couples that night. It was a clever ruse I had put together to keep her from making other plans because I was going to propose that night. All of that, plus my general grumpiness during losses, came to a head when I ignored a review request and moved chairs to avoid her tv-block. For the first, and last, time in our relationship, she mocked my UConn fandome. She said, in a condescending baby-talk tone, "What's the matter, the little Huskies are losing."

Naturally an argument ensued. The Huskies came back to win, and I went through with the proposal. Had they not won, who knows what would've happened.

Reaction Score
I was on vacation with the family, watching on a crappy rental house TV. If that had gone in, the trip would have been ruined.
I thought I broke my hand after George Mason (I was 32 at the time and not proud of my behavior)
The FLA game in '94 made my then-girlfriend, now wife, question EVERYTHING about me.

The shot against Clemson was my favorite though. That popped my UCONN cherry and I bounced up and down on a hotel bed in White Plains NY screaming my head off. 2 days later though...

Reaction Score
I skinned my knuckles pretty badly punching a wall during the game against UNC in 2003, but the worst overall experience had to be the UW and GM games in 2006. I watched both of those games from the same dorm lounge and -- aside from my girlfriend at the time -- was basically all alone in there, with the exception of passersby either angrily or bemusedly wondering what all the noise was about. That noise, of course, was me, yelling in anguish, yelling in joy, flipping/throwing tables, chairs, my hat, anything I was confident wouldn't break. (I value the contents of my wallet too much to risk actually damaging things.)

Those games ended in a huge sigh of relief on Friday night and in utter despair Sunday afternoon. I think that was the last time I cried in public. What a rollercoaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom