What's your biggest flip out after a UConn loss? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

What's your biggest flip out after a UConn loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
All right.

I'm actually pretty calm during hoop games these days. Football still sets me off, especially the Vikings, but otherwise, I'm not even remotely as demonstrative as I used to be.

1) I watched the Laettner game at my parents' house with my younger brother. I didn't really react after the shot, but my brother started to laugh and I whipped the remote at him. I missed him and the remote sailed through the family room door, past the kitchen and into the dining room where my dad was sitting. It arrived there in four or five pieces. Trying to be helpful, he says, "Most of the remote is in here now!" as if it up and walked there on its own. You simply could not fluster the man.

2) When I was first married, my wife decorated the living room of our apartment with these wicker baskets that held pillows, dried flowers and whatever the hell else. We were married in May of 1998 - by the end of the 98-99 season, I had kicked all of the baskets. I vaporized one when the Vikings lost to the Falcons in the NFL championship game, I got one stuck on my foot when Khalid slipped against Miami and I stomped the handle of one when Quentin Hall hit his three with a minute left in the Elite Eight.

We had the downstairs neighbors up one night and there was a game on - I wanted to kick something, but I was on my best behavior so I kinda sideways kicked one of the baskets and it made a little crunching noise - the neighbor's wife perks up and says, "So that's what that noise is! We always wondered...".

3) The last time I remember any sort of outburst was in our current house. I don't remember the game, but I had a tantrum and threw the remote at the front door - I ended up hitting the wall and had to repair the divot. The remote cracked and we still have to use an Exacto knife to cut the tape away whenever the batteries have to be changed.

I kinda grew out of all that and eased into profanity which my wife enjoyed even less than the wanton destruction. I'm creative with profanity and I've said things that have specifically horrified my inlaws to such a degree that my wife tries to make me go upstairs to watch UConn or the Vikings when they're here. They're here this weekend and although I'll probably be perfectly fine, the Vikings/Packers game tomorrow night has my wife on edge.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Either last season or the season before I destroyed a remote and threw a few pots and pans in the kitchen. Chipped two of the drawers and broke off a knob.

The offense?

I was watching one of Uconn's basketball games and had to leave at half because my kids had basketball practice and I was one of the coaches. Simple enough, I watched the first half, jumped in the car and went to practice. I left the TV on so that when I got home I could rewind and catch the second half. But I was woefully inadequate in my risk management.

How?

True to the Directv commercial the wife had the DVR set up to record any NCIS, Law and Order, Law and Order Criminal Intent, Law and Order SVU, CSI, House, and pretty much every channel on the cable system. And the basketball game got trumped.

Obviously I was less than pleased that several of her re-runs kept me watching the second half. After things cooled down I calmly picked up the remote pieces and deleted every show that was on the DVR including kids Christmas specials. And I deleted all of her preferences for future auto-recording.

Reaction Score
You guys are a bunch of flip outs. Glad I don't watch games with any of you.

I usually get over losses by crushing a large pizza.

It's also the same way I celebrate victories.

So either way, you consume 2-3 large pizzas a week during basketball season? Very nice...

Reaction Score
All right.

I'm actually pretty calm during hoop games these days. Football still sets me off, especially the Vikings, but otherwise, I'm not even remotely as demonstrative as I used to be.

1) I watched the Laettner game at my parents' house with my younger brother. I didn't really react after the shot, but my brother started to laugh and I whipped the remote at him. I missed him and the remote sailed through the family room door, past the kitchen and into the dining room where my dad was sitting. It arrived there in four or five pieces. Trying to be helpful, he says, "Most of the remote is in here now!" as if it up and walked there on its own. You simply could not fluster the man.

2) When I was first married, my wife decorated the living room of our apartment with these wicker baskets that held pillows, dried flowers and whatever the hell else. We were married in May of 1998 - by the end of the 98-99 season, I had kicked all of the baskets. I vaporized one when the Vikings lost to the Falcons in the NFL championship game, I got one stuck on my foot when Khalid slipped against Miami and I stomped the handle of one when Quentin Hall hit his three with a minute left in the Elite Eight.

We had the downstairs neighbors up one night and there was a game on - I wanted to kick something, but I was on my best behavior so I kinda sideways kicked one of the baskets and it made a little crunching noise - the neighbor's wife perks up and says, "So that's what that noise is! We always wondered...".

3) The last time I remember any sort of outburst was in our current house. I don't remember the game, but I had a tantrum and threw the remote at the front door - I ended up hitting the wall and had to repair the divot. The remote cracked and we still have to use an Exacto knife to cut the tape away whenever the batteries have to be changed.

I kinda grew out of all that and eased into profanity which my wife enjoyed even less than the wanton destruction. I'm creative with profanity and I've said things that have specifically horrified my inlaws to such a degree that my wife tries to make me go upstairs to watch UConn or the Vikings when they're here. They're here this weekend and although I'll probably be perfectly fine, the Vikings/Packers game tomorrow night has my wife on edge.

Fishy are you a MN native... or just a fan of the Vikes?

Reaction Score
i break things a lot, phones, remotes, laptops, water coolers. the worst is when you get texts from people like..."oh tough loss for your huskies, great game though." SLAM, that phone needs to die. Once i reached 25 i started turning my phone off after losses. recently, i chucked the uconn bottle opener that plays the fight song at my ceiling and put a hole in it during the new mexico game. it was the third throw before i got the music player inside to break. if the music stopped after the first or second throw at the wall i wouldn't have a hole in my ceiling right now. oh well.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fishy are you a MN native... or just a fan of the Vikes?

Fan - my parents bought me a Vikings' sweatshirt when I was three and I stuck with them. (Part of me wishes it was a Steelers, Patriots or Giants sweatshirt.)

I've never been to Minnesota and have never even seen the Vikes play live.

Reaction Score
Fan - my parents bought me a Vikings' sweatshirt when I was three and I stuck with them. (Part of me wishes it was a Steelers, Patriots or Giants sweatshirt.)

I've never been to Minnesota and have never even seen the Vikes play live.

Ahh nice. Minny is actually a pretty decent town (in the summer) if you ever get out there. I was up for work last year, the new baseball stadium is a great place to catch a ballgame. I was raised a Pats fan, but goodluck this weekend, should be a good one.

Reaction Score
I've tried to forget about the bad losses and not hold on to them enough to flip out, but every one of those mentioned in this thread definitely had me in a sour mood for anywhere from hours to a few days.

While I've never flipped out over a loss, there are three incredibly painful wins that come to mind immediately as games where I flipped out during the game because I thought we were going to lose:
  • Duke, FF Semis, 2004 (was at the game and thought I was having a cardiac event; my buddy vowed to carry me out if I did; could not bear the thought of hanging out in San Antonio for three more days while Duke partied on).

Haha- I was thinking the same thing!

I was going so crazy during this game that my dog took off into the woods because he was terrified of my screaming.

Best dog ever- part wolf/husky- just an amazing animal and had no fear of anything whatsoever except for me that night.

Reaction Score
Jeff King, may he RIP, his pass the wrong way to Stevie Thompson in the Civic Center in '88 caused a bit of dorm room damage. Actually coach left him in a tricky spot by burning the last timeout. Also, the pass of Brian Fair's head against G'Town in '92 caused a bit of damage at my apartment. Ah, memories.

Reaction Score
Jeff King, may he RIP, his pass the wrong way to Stevie Thompson in the Civic Center in '88 caused a bit of dorm room damage. Actually coach left him in a tricky spot by burning the last timeout. Also, the pass of Brian Fair's head against G'Town in '92 caused a bit of damage at my apartment. Ah, memories.

Brian fair and the head good one!! Didn't Brian have 28 or so that night too......??

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You probably need at least 3 beers to get the bad taste out of your mouth huh?
what are you talking about?
C'mon John wake up.......must've went flying over your head pal.....:eek:

Selective amnesia after giving all that head in a bar.

Probably one of those things where the brain blocks out certain events due to the trauma the memory triggers.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Don't Ask-

WP_000035.JPG

Reaction Score
Selective amnesia after giving all that head in a bar.

Probably one of those things where the brain blocks out certain events due to the trauma the memory triggers.

GIVING head???? I'm sorry, my mind doesn't work that way. I guess you guys are a lot more modern-thinking on things like this.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I'd like to think the near-universal ignoring of The Free Throws is because we all blacked out before OT started.

You know.
You all know.

"Remember, the whole world is watching."

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
sure a big loss can hurt, but it's nothing that a beer or three and a nice sloppy blowjob can't fix.
The second part doesn't work if your wife/girlfriend is as big a fan as you are!

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
I love this thread. We should all get together for the next big game. Bring your own projectile.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd like to think the near-universal ignoring of The Free Throws is because we all blacked out before OT started.

You know.
You all know.

"Remember, the whole world is watching."
Donyell? Yeah that wasn't good. Had we beat Florida we had a walkover against BC to get to the final 4. That game and the loss to Miss State in 95 both stick in my craw but I was alone with my wife each time so didn't get violent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Jeff King, may he RIP, his pass the wrong way to Stevie Thompson in the Civic Center in '88 caused a bit of dorm room damage. Actually coach left him in a tricky spot by burning the last timeout.

I never felt worse for a player in my life. You could see the pain he felt right after that pass. That's why that picture of him and Phil Gamble sitting on the hoop after winning the NIT is one of my favorite photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom