Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think Nika Muhl is certifiably insane, but I'm hoping we cut down the final net before they cart her away.
Wow, for a point in that game I could see that. Did you see the look on her face after being called for her second ( I think it was the second ) foul? Her expression would have scared me if it was directed in my direction. I love watching her play, but the facial expressions she makes are priceless. We need a video of all her reactions, and I think we should make her real nickname, " The Face" .

Reaction Score
Congratulations to Villanova. They are a worthy opponent. Siegrist is worth the price of admission. Good coach. Hope they get rewarded.
Villanova tried to win based on skill versus Marquette and others that tried to physically intimidate UConn. While neither have worked lately for Huskie's competition, have to respect Denise Dillion coaching style. Dillion coached the most wins in Drexal's history and continues to build a nice resume at her Alma Mater.

Reaction Score
Wow, for a point in that game I could see that. Did you see the look on her face after being called for her second ( I think it was the second ) foul? Her expression would have scared me if it was directed in my direction. I love watching her play, but the facial expressions she makes are priceless. We need a video of all her reactions, and I think we should make her real nickname, " The Face" .
During warmups, Nika is smiling & hamming it up for the cameras. After the opening tipoff, she turns the smile into a frightening Chucky scowl! :mad:

Reaction Score
Let me guess, you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? Just stop with all the theory prognosis. Her knee was sore to begin the day, she pressed and tried to do some things to impact the game, she got whacked 3 times with the Villanova players smiling the whole time after, so Geno removed her. 3 Games, 3 days makes anyone tired.
can we please stop with this "Villanova was trying to injure players" garbage. Why do some users always have to resort to this when a game is played?

Reaction Score
look on her [Muhl's] face
It's not her face I care about, it's the faces of her opponents, which she's right in, every moment she's on the court.

It's easy to be "all over" someone if you're willing to foul out in 2 minutes. Nika doesn't give an inch, but she gets called for relatively few fouls given how aggressive she is. That's a high level of skill to go along with the effort, it's EFFECTIVE aggressiveness.

Early on last year I was somewhat puzzled as to why Geno was so committed to Muhl; but I've become a huge fan. In some respects I don't think it's going too far to say she has created the current swarming Husky defense: she's led and inspired the rest of the team, IMO. The switching, the communication, the strategy of the defense: that's Geno. But Nika is its heart and soul.

Plus, every once in awhile, at a key moment: she shoots, she scores! Daggers in their hearts.

Reaction Score
I think the point being made is the broadcast should not linger too long on players who are basically crushed and near tears. A quick peek is enough to make the point.
Especially when the game is in progress. FoxSports missed a lot of the action while showing crowd shots & bench action.

Reaction Score
LOL... I bet they don't call those touch fouls in Croatia. And knowing Nika, she probably also played against the Croatian MEN!!

Reaction Score
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
There isn't one team in the country that wouldn't take Alliyah. And she would start on 99.9% of them. She makes her defender work hard, she aggressively chases down offensive rebounds, she has become a reliable free throw shooter, & her outside shot has been deadly.
Most of all, she has developed Husky Heart! And you can't teach that!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband and I were discussing the Caroline/Azzi time thing. He thought that Geno wants to get Azzi into a groove going into the tourney and was giving her more time on the court since she came back after Caroline got many minutes under her belt. Geno now has the luxury of playing Caroline limited minutes until she feels 100%. Last I heard, CD said Caroline wasn’t quite there yet.

Reaction Score
Villanova is a much better team than its #70 ranking. They were without Siegrist for several games early in the season. Without those against them, Villanova plus Siegrist is very tough.
The 79 rank is from this weeks
Villanova is a much better team than its #70 ranking. They were without Siegrist for several games early in the season. Without those against them, Villanova plus Siegrist is very tough.
Here is the link.

After yesterday’s loss, Villanova is now 72. Because I haven’t studied all the 71 teams higher than Villanova, I don’t have an opinion about whether the ranking is correct.

I can say that I watch a lot of basketball, and compared with the better teams in the upcoming tournament, Villanova doesn’t appear very tough to me. They’re good but nothing compared with what’s to come.

My point was 70 points against Villanova, whether their true ranking is 72 or 36, is not a lot. Here is an interview of Geno after the Villanova game.

He said the defense was great but the offense was « just okay. »

I’m hopeful, however. Because the bench is strong and UConn no longer depends on one person, they have a lot of flexibility. If the game had been close last night, Azzi could have stepped up and shot more. Instead, she went 4 for 5 and played great defense.

Reaction Score
My husband and I were discussing the Caroline/Azzi time thing. He thought that Geno wants to get Azzi into a groove going into the tourney and was giving her more time on the court since she came back after Caroline got many minutes under her belt. Geno now has the luxury of playing Caroline limited minutes until she feels 100%. Last I heard, CD said Caroline wasn’t quite there yet.
Good call, Nan! Also, Geno has mentioned there is often a tournament game where the teams doesn't perform well, but one player carries them by lighting up the board. With Paige still healing, I'm guessing Geno believes that Azzi has that capability.

Reaction Score
It is sports. Nova set themselves up for it with the chants.

Yup. They should have been more careful about what they wished for because they got it, good & hard!!!

Reaction Score
More than once I have questioned Geno’s tendency to play starters to long, after the matter (game) has been settled.
Coach has forgotten more than I will know about the game and sees thing court side about which I am ignorant to.
I do believe that once you get into a single elimination situation, and against better competition, a 14-15 point cushion can quickly become an 8-9 point lead.
I can see staying with the front line a little deeper into the game as insurance.
Still would have given Amari and Piath a couple of minutes to experience the thrill.
I’m pretty sure enduring a season of Geno’s practices had earned at least that.

Reaction Score
I think the Villanova kid was boxing out but stumbled backward and fell. She got the worst of it though
I remember audibly gasping when it happened, but it was moreso for the Villanova girl who broke her fall. Yikes!

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Resume means Body of Work Tony. Not what they did in their last games against the Big East. They lost a #1 seed quite a while ago.

I look at it this way. They beat a #1 seed in the Elite Eight and go into the FF confident and on a roll.
The committee is also d part of their seeding to take into consideration injuries, to whom, when and return of players.

Reaction Score
During the ceremony, Geno was very impressed with how no one cares about starting. minutes.
Geno always says what he thinks the teams needs to hear, not necessarily what he thinks. It was a great commentary. I think he was preempting what he was afraid might become an issue.

Reaction Score
To late in the season for the players to care about starting win or go home should be top priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom