Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Care to elaborate on that statement?
They are actually really similar if you think about it. About the same size and score from deep 3 and in the space between foul line and restricted arc most of the time....

Reaction Score
Personally I think any team (assuming that they're not godawful) who has a national star on their roster should play in the tournament, even though the team is not a title contender. I'm thinking Siegrest this year, Della Donna a few years ago. Fans need/want to see them, even if it's only for one game.

Reaction Score
There isn't one team in the country that wouldn't take Alliyah. And she would start on 99.9% of them. She makes her defender work hard, she aggressively chases down offensive rebounds, she has become a reliable free throw shooter, & her outside shot has been deadly.
Most of all, she has developed Husky Heart! And you can't teach that!!
To me, Aaliyah is what the theoretical healthy Batouly Camara could have been. A player like that could have been helpful during those years.

Reaction Score
Personally I think any team (assuming that they're not godawful) who has a national star on their roster should play in the tournament, even though the team is not a title contender. I'm thinking Siegrest this year, Della Donna a few years ago. Fans need/want to see them, even if it's only for one game.
Same goes for Morrow at DePaul.

Reaction Score
I am curious - if Aubrey is healthy enough can she sit with the team during the tournament? After all she is still on the team roster.

Reaction Score
While Caroline didn't play a lot of minutes, she was definitely productive and that was good to see. I attribute the relatively low point total of 70 to Villanova's emphasis on getting back on defense to avoid easy transition baskets (at the expense of going after offensive rebounds) and their use of the majority of the shot clock on most of their possessions which limited the number of offensive possessions available to the Huskies.

Reaction Score
I am curious - if Aubrey is healthy enough can she sit with the team during the tournament? After all she is still on the team roster.
I think it depends on how hard it is for her to sit that long.

Reaction Score
While Caroline didn't play a lot of minutes, she was definitely productive and that was good to see. I attribute the relatively low point total of 70 to Villanova's emphasis on getting back on defense to avoid easy transition baskets (at the expense of going after offensive rebounds) and their use of the majority of the shot clock on most of their possessions which limited the number of offensive possessions available to the Huskies.
I believe Villanova was forced deep into the shot clock.
I’m guessing they would have preferred to get some nice, easy three point looks wherever the clock was.
UCONN did not cooperate.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
My three takeaways:
1)-Villanova deserves to be in the Dance.
Way better than a 70(?) rank. Showed no quit and never backed down. Lotta heart.
2)-I was very impressed that UCONN’s defensive intensity never wavered. Highest level start to finish. Requires real commitment and discipline.
3)-First quarters offensive disorganization and turnovers can be exploited by a better team. I understand that UCONN took the lead and never looked back, but slowing the tempo and concentrating on ball security require the same discipline as suffocating defense.
UCONN seems to be on a mission.
One down-six to go.
( I’m a little concerned about Paige)
Dead ball turnovers, yes some sloppy (especially AE) not as damaging when the defense is so good.

Reaction Score
Sorry about that.

Less minutes for Nika as freed her to be as totally berserk on the court as she can possibly be. No need to worry about fouls or getting tired, just go at them. She can be downright scary! Full court pressure is the stuff of dreams for her. She always get her share of rebounds but the way she gets contested rebounds is like a mini Aaliyah.

We are making the lay ins pretty consistently now.

I'd like to see more 3s from Azzi but her mid-range jumper really helps the offense.

Caroline has a high ceiling and for intensity and aggression she could do worse than taking a page from Maddy Seigrist's book.
Comparing apples and oranges regarding Caroline and Maddy.
Maddy has to force the issue as she is the primary weapon in Villanova’s arsenal.
Caroline, in UCONN’s offense, has the luxury of both seeking opportunities as well as hunting for her shot.
Totally different situations.

Reaction Score
can we please stop with this "Villanova was trying to injure players" garbage. Why do some users always have to resort to this when a game is played?
While not insinuating trying to injure- she checks into the game and draws 3 fouls in about 20 seconds. Coincidence?
(24 beers in a case-24 hours in a day- also a coincidence?)

Reaction Score
I'm indifferent about the throwbacks, but I agree - ditch the gray uniforms
When will we be able to purchase those official game jerseys with the stitching? I don’t want any stinking silk screen jersey that has the potential to peel. :p

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Not sure! ESPN interviews MM quite often. They also have several former coaches on their staff including Carolyn Peck, Nikki Fargas, & Stephanie White.
She works for the ACC network, owned by ESPN

sun

Reaction Score
I was glad to see more mid-range range baskets, but then UConn only went 3 for 12 on 3-pointers.

AE really went too horizontal when she extended herself for the rebound.
If the Villanova player had stayed upright, AE could have landed on her head, face or neck.
IMO AE intruded too much into her space, unintentionally.
Just because the other player was short doesn't mean that she should be crushed while in her own safe space, which is what would have happened as a result of AE going horizontal.
It was mostly AE's arms that were reaching too far back, but her back was also way too arched when she leaped off her feet.
There's no way that AE could have come down and kept her balance.
AE had the right desire, but her poor execution on that rebound could have resulted in a foul on herself, and potential injury.
Luckily the players weren't hurt too badly, although the other player was slightly hurt.
Now I know why AE wears an elbow pad, she hit the floor again for IDK how many games in a row.
She tries to make up for her mistakes with extra efffort.

As far as Paige playing. it's good that she plays.
If she misses a bucket it will lead to others on the team to score the points instead.
If she makes a bad pass, either another teammate or herself will make up for it with a super-great pass.
Being an All American comes with some perks based on innate ability & experience.
Others seem to play harder when she's on the court.

Paige probably has some timing issues that need to be worked on but it looks like she's coming along and still has bountiful natural talent and court vision to be playing.
I don't doubt that Geno has the utmost amount of faith in her.
That doesn't mean that she'll be playing 40 minutes, but when she plays he'll be trusting her instincts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are we not forgetting Paige and Caroline, both of who have done much to deserve the trust of their coach?
Last time I counted, there were nine (9) he trusted and plays in waves......mixing and matching like a mad scientist. Seems to me he is having fun finding ways to see how they run and play.....never mind the score - that takes care of itself when they're all having fun

Reaction Score
I think Nika Muhl is certifiably insane, but I'm hoping we cut down the final net before they cart her away.
She's protected in Storrs and immediate environments. If the white coats show up, there will hordes dressed and looking like her walking around. So, there.

The mission, according to Paige and Azzi is Multiple cut downs of nets at end of each season for this team over the next few years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow! I am impressed. What a defense. What a team. A bench that scores 28 points and plays great defense to help the starters to a great victory.

Just a note. Someone, please get rid of the those grey uniforms. They slow tthis team down.
Didn’t we start wearing those during the Breanna years or was it before?

Reaction Score
My only comment on the game is that this crew really enjoys playing defense! That will serve them well in the tournament. Oh, and one other thing...

Would like to see a couple of other BE teams get an invite too!

Are you suggesting that they have been infected by the Croatian bug? First Aaliyah and Christyn towards the end of last year and now, one by one, they are showing severe signs of the symptoms? The shortest member of their team is dangerous......to opponents and now, the whole team is.

Reaction Score
My husband and I were discussing the Caroline/Azzi time thing. He thought that Geno wants to get Azzi into a groove going into the tourney and was giving her more time on the court since she came back after Caroline got many minutes under her belt. Geno now has the luxury of playing Caroline limited minutes until she feels 100%. Last I heard, CD said Caroline wasn’t quite there yet.
Your husband is quite right, especially since Azzi shot poorly in the previous game...Coach did not want her to carry that to the next tournament so he gave her all the time she needed and then some to regain her touch.

I said the same thing in two other places somewhere here....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits