Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
My three takeaways:
1)-Villanova deserves to be in the Dance.
Way better than a 70(?) rank. Showed no quit and never backed down. Lotta heart.
2)-I was very impressed that UCONN’s defensive intensity never wavered. Highest level start to finish. Requires real commitment and discipline.
3)-First quarters offensive disorganization and turnovers can be exploited by a better team. I understand that UCONN took the lead and never looked back, but slowing the tempo and concentrating on ball security require the same discipline as suffocating defense.
UCONN seems to be on a mission.
One down-six to go.
( I’m a little concerned about Paige)
Great game and serious smiles all around. They are a mirror of themselves, the joy for each other is deep. The team is on a mission with all on board.

I'm not worried about turnovers that come from potential scoring opportunities, keep that edge especially with fast breaks and defensive rebounding. With 9 healthy players we can take the chance of operating at a fast pace. Good hands, downcourt sight and scoring mentality are the key. It also takes the heart out of the opponent. The other type of turnovers, passes to the audience, are from lack of playing together and guards picking up their dribble too soon. This is the key to getting turnovers under 10 per game. We are close.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Not everything is about UConn. Can’t we let the other team have 30 seconds of air time to themselves without complaining?
I think the point being made is the broadcast should not linger too long on players who are basically crushed and near tears. A quick peek is enough to make the point.

Reaction Score
A few thoughts:
Sorry about that.

Less minutes for Nika as freed her to be as totally berserk on the court as she can possibly be. No need to worry about fouls or getting tired, just go at them. She can be downright scary! Full court pressure is the stuff of dreams for her. She always get her share of rebounds but the way she gets contested rebounds is like a mini Aaliyah.

We are making the lay ins pretty consistently now.

I'd like to see more 3s from Azzi but her mid-range jumper really helps the offense.

Caroline has a high ceiling and for intensity and aggression she could do worse than taking a page from Maddy Seigrist's book.

Reaction Score
Not everything is about UConn. Can’t we let the other team have 30 seconds of air time to themselves without complaining?
I don’t mind talking about the other team, Nan. I just don’t like the way they do it. It feels exploitative. I mean, give the poor kid a break. I’m sure she feels bad enough already without having a camera stuck in her crying face for minutes on end.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I don't think the story of this game or the last one was Aaliyah at all. She had 5 turnovers this game, didn't know what to do with the ball under the basket half of the time, and just isn't a complete basketball player. She is extremely athletic and if that can be turned into a complete basketball player in the next two years that would be great but right now I worry about her in the Elite 8 and FF games. Just too many mistakes.

I thought a big story these last two games was Evina. It's like she got a new jet pack. Her speed seems to have increased, her confidence is sky high, and she should have had even more assists. Her going coast to coast was great and showed a lot of people just what kind of a player she really is. She was leading scorer the last two games, tied for combined most assists in those games, and was a great floor general. It was heartwarming to see. She has had a lot on her shoulders this year and she will make some WNBA team very happy.

It was all about the defense again. With this many bodies, and with the caliber of players we have, the press and then tight man to man defense in the half court just wears you down. I thought the 2-3 zone was run really well also. On offense, just too many weapons and I was very glad Caroline got the ball tonight. She became a real offensive threat when she started during the season and has a tremendous future ahead of her. She can score in bunches underneath and can also sink the 3 as was shown tonight.

What can you say? We have been waiting all season and the way this team is forming now (still present tense) is both thrilling and interesting at the same time. During the dark days of the regular season I thought Geno's job was an awful one to have. Now I am completely jealous. So many combinations, so many fun ways to play, so many delightful players, all of which is making for one very unselfish team.
Here We Go Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score

The loss to Villanova wasn't a fluke. It's just that the team that lost to Villanova is not the same team that clobbered them last night. Over the past few weeks, this team has gelled as never before. Finally, Coach Geno has gotten this group of players to play the way Coach Geno has always gotten his teams to play. They play together as they've never done this season. And they won without Paige. Yes, she spent 9 minutes on the floor. But it was the other players that beat down Villanova and won this conference championship.

They've been transformed. Too bad we can't have just one more game- against Oregon!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
everything was according to plan, nobody in the Big East is a contest. This is what will become food for thought. Do these big east games get someone ready for the tournament? When you have teams like Sc, Stanford, Nc St who have battled all season tough schedules.
Do you have a realistic alternative?

Reaction Score
My only comment on the game is that this crew really enjoys playing defense! That will serve them well in the tournament. Oh, and one other thing...

Would like to see a couple of other BE teams get an invite too!

Reaction Score
I do seem to recall MM saying something like that. If he meant an Analyst, he would say that word. Cant wait to see this quote visually.

Here is Geno's requisite Paige Zinger at the end of this clip about how much work she needs to do and Paige being Paige, we know how cooperative she will be. :p

This time I hope Paige understands that it's not about heart, it's about healing. And one's body heals at its own pace. She's been through the grinder with her injuries, surgery, and rehab. She's not the Paige of old, and she probably won't be until this time next year. It takes a lot of time.

Reaction Score
The loss to Villanova wasn't a fluke. It's just that the team that lost to Villanova is not the same team that clobbered them last night. Over the past few weeks, this team has gelled as never before. Finally, Coach Geno has gotten this group of players to play the way Coach Geno has always gotten his teams to play. They play together as they've never done this season. And they won without Paige. Yes, she spent 9 minutes on the floor. But it was the other players that beat down Villanova and won this conference championship.

They've been transformed. Too bad we can't have just one more game- against Oregon!
Ok,Ok...
I’ll reveal a personal flaw.
I REALLY want Arizona in our bracket.
(My bad)

Reaction Score
As Villanova is ranked 70, this is what UConn, as 6, needed to show — complete dominance, especially on defense. Even Villanova’s best, Siegrist, getting 16 points, was only 7 for 17.

Throughout most of the season one UConn player often carried the team, first Paige, then Caroline, then Azzi. Now it’s spread out. Azzi played 36 minutes and shot just five times (4 for 5!).

I would like to see UConn score more points against a 70, though. I’m concerned about UConn’s offense against a high ranked team. But for now I’m going to feel good about a BE championship, which a month ago seemed uncertain.

Villanova is a much better team than its #70 ranking. They were without Siegrist for several games early in the season. Without those against them, Villanova plus Siegrist is very tough.

Reaction Score
This time I hope Paige understands that it's not about heart, it's about healing. And one's body heals at its own pace. She's been through the grinder with her injuries, surgery, and rehab. She's not the Paige of old, and she probably won't be until this time next year. It takes a lot of time.
I'm with you there, people think it's so easy since she is cleared to play but you just don't comeback in less than 3 months after an injury like that and be the same player. If she is only going to be able to play 8 min a game then I totally agree, better to shut her down. There are plenty of capable players at 100% strength on this team that can carry the load. Paige at best looks 60% of herself right now. Players always hack and get physical with her mostly due to her being a smaller and not a strong player. See the Baylor and Arz games last season.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Let me guess, you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express? Just stop with all the theory prognosis. Her knee was sore to begin the day, she pressed and tried to do some things to impact the game, she got whacked 3 times with the Villanova players smiling the whole time after, so Geno removed her. 3 Games, 3 days makes anyone tired.

Reaction Score
I feel bad that Piath and Amari didn't get to play. I know that Geno always talks about what you do in practice correlates with how much playing time you get, but this is a blowout in the championship game. Couldn't he give them a minute to experience the thrill of it? Maybe he was trying to get as many points as he could to make a statement to the Committee.

Reaction Score
I'm with you there, people think it's so easy since she is cleared to play but you just don't comeback in less than 3 months after an injury like that and be the same player. If she is only going to be able to play 8 min a game then I totally agree, better to shut her down. There are plenty of capable players at 100% strength on this team that can carry the load. Paige at best looks 60% of herself right now. Players always hack and get physical with her mostly due to her being a smaller and not a strong player. See the Baylor and Arz games last season.
I think it’s important to give Paige some minutes.
Not only to gauge her progress, but at least as important to force opposing teams to game plan for her.
Every minute dedicated to planning for Paige is one less minute preparing for the NASTIEST crew around.

Reaction Score
Sorry about that.

Caroline has a high ceiling and for intensity and aggression she could do worse than taking a page from Maddy Seigrist's book.
Care to elaborate on that statement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc