Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I understand spelling's not a high priority here for some, but we should work on getting Aaliyah's name right. It's not Aliyah... there does happen to be someone with that name playing these days for South Carolina, however.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I was at the game and I had better seats than normal for me, pretty close to the basket where Villanova was shooting in the first half. Saw a lot of stuff from that vantage point. My biggest takeaway is that UConn is not a finesse team, it has become a physical, brawling, contest everything nightmare. And Aaliyah and Nika are a major part of that, but everybody has bought into it now. (The officiating was very strange, they from time to time called fouls on minor or non-existent contact, but generally they let a whole lot of contact go on underneath.)

The nine person rotation allows Geno to pressure the other team mercilessly. He could not do that when our numbers were down. Villanova is a finesse team that is not at all deep and not very quick, and they struggled mightily with UConn`s take no prisoners defense.

Some have referenced surgical precision regarding defense. Nah, unless you perform surgery with a hammer.

UConn was very physical out there and simply would not let Villanova run any kind of offense whatsoever. Seigrist scored 16, largely on one on one play, and the other Villanova players scored 18 points on threes. That`s 34. So, other than Segrist, Villanova scored six points inside the three point line. Three baskets. Think about that for a minute, and what in says about taking a team out of its offense.

And Villanova missed 34 shots but only had 6 offensive rebounds.

We were sloppy at times on offense and there is definitely room for improvement there. But defensively, it was a clinic.

I think the seniors feel some urgency. They have been amazing lately.

Nasty.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was at the game and I had better seats than normal for me, pretty close to the basket where Villanova was shooting in the first half. Saw a lot of stuff from that vantage point. My biggest takeaway is that UConn is not a finesse team, it has become a physical, brawling, contest everything nightmare. And Aaliyah and Nika are a major part of that, but everybody has bought into it now.

The nine person rotation allows Geno to pressure the other team mercilessly. He could not do that when our numbers were down. Villanova is a finesse team that is not at all deep and not very quick, and they struggled mightily with UConn`s take no prisoners defense.

Some have referenced surgical precision regarding defense. Nah, unless you perform surgery with a hammer.

UConn was very physical out there and simply would not let Villanova run any kind of offense whatsoever. Seigrist scored 16, largely on one on one play, and the other Villanova players scored 18 points on threes. That`s 34. So, other than Segrist, Villanove scored six points inside the three point line. Three baskets. Think about that for a minute, and what in says about taking a team out of its offense.

We were sloppy at times on offense and there is definitely room for improvement there. But defensively, it was a clinic.

Nasty.
This is exactly what i was thinking watching the game: A defensive Clinic!

Reaction Score
With all that's been said in the joy of this win, to me one of the most telling was that Azzi played 36 mins, AE played 31 minutes, and CW played 29. Geno still believes, in crunch time, in giving the most minutes to the players he trusts the most.
To my eye they earned those minutes because of the stellar defense they were playing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was at the game and I had better seats than normal for me, pretty close to the basket where Villanova was shooting in the first half. Saw a lot of stuff from that vantage point. My biggest takeaway is that UConn is not a finesse team, it has become a physical, brawling, contest everything nightmare. And Aaliyah and Nika are a major part of that, but everybody has bought into it now. (The officiating was very strange, they from time to time called fouls on minor or non-existent contact, but generally they let a whole lot of contact go on underneath.)

UConn was very physical out there and simply would not let Villanova run any kind of offense whatsoever. Seigrist scored 16, largely on one on one play, and the other Villanova players scored 18 points on threes. That`s 34. So, other than Segrist, Villanova scored six points inside the three point line. Three baskets. Think about that for a minute, and what in says about taking a team out of its offense.

Nasty.
I said a few weeks ago and in the chats that since Jan 1st this team has a different identity than the one it had previously, and that it has taken on the personality of Nika. I haven't changed my perception.

Reaction Score
As Villanova is ranked 70, this is what UConn, as 6, needed to show — complete dominance, especially on defense. Even Villanova’s best, Siegrist, getting 16 points, was only 7 for 17.

Throughout most of the season one UConn player often carried the team, first Paige, then Caroline, then Azzi. Now it’s spread out. Azzi played 36 minutes and shot just five times (4 for 5!).

I would like to see UConn score more points against a 70, though. I’m concerned about UConn’s offense against a high ranked team. But for now I’m going to feel good about a BE championship, which a month ago seemed uncertain.

Reaction Score
Defensive Player of the Game is Aaliyah, who worked like crazy on Maddy Siegrist. She was in her face the whole time she was guarding her. She took her out of the game. I think Maddy scored most of her points when Aaliyah was out, or in a zone defense. (No proof of that). She definitely helped push the Offense further out, away from the hoop.

I read today that Nika had only made 1 foul shot all YEAR. So she is now 2 for 5. Crazy!

Reaction Score
everything was according to plan, nobody in the Big East is a contest. This is what will become food for thought. Do these big east games get someone ready for the tournament? When you have teams like Sc, Stanford, Nc St who have battled all season tough schedules.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Oh, how I wish Alan Bestwick and Megan Culmo were covering these games. (For those of you I the rest of the country, they call the games for SNY.). They actually talk about what’s happening on the court—imagine that! I particularly hate it when the other networks cut to one of the losing players on the bench and keep the camera pointed there for an eternity while the announcers matter on. Tonight’s victim was Breanna Herlihy. A couple of years ago—famously—it was A’ja Wilson of SC. JUST STOP!
Not everything is about UConn. Can’t we let the other team have 30 seconds of air time to themselves without complaining?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"There was this perception early on at one point that without Paige we're not very good. An ex-coach who don't know about anything said that recently. I think we proved her wrong" - Geno Auriemma
Was he talking about Muffet? Or was it an ESPN analyst?
It was MM. After Paige’s injury and while she was on one of her UConn bias rants she said the team’s struggles after Paige went down was proof that the other players were over-rated. It was weird since she recruited a lot of them and also unseemly to go after college players who just lost an important teammate.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I understand spelling's not a high priority here for some, but we should work on getting Aaliyah's name right. It's not Aliyah... there does happen to be someone with that name playing these days for South Carolina, however.
Autocorrect

Reaction Score
My three takeaways:
1)-Villanova deserves to be in the Dance.
Way better than a 70(?) rank. Showed no quit and never backed down. Lotta heart.
2)-I was very impressed that UCONN’s defensive intensity never wavered. Highest level start to finish. Requires real commitment and discipline.
3)-First quarters offensive disorganization and turnovers can be exploited by a better team. I understand that UCONN took the lead and never looked back, but slowing the tempo and concentrating on ball security require the same discipline as suffocating defense.
UCONN seems to be on a mission.
One down-six to go.
( I’m a little concerned about Paige)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members