Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Villanova BET Championship Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I thought her defense was great and has improved dramatically over the season. Seigrist had a real hard time with her physicality with 3 air balls and in fairness got 6 straight points later off of Evina on some pretty difficult shots and Evina is a real solid defender. That didn't happen against Aaliyah.

It's not just her turnovers though. She fails to see the open man cutting at times as a passer, does not always have good footwork and timing with the ball ( the walk on the great fast break lead pass by Evina last night is an example), does not have effective moves yet under the basket after an offensive rebound, and I think at times slows up the half court offense. She makes basketball mistakes that a natural basketball player, for example, would not make but that is because she is still learning the game and I don't think she has played a lot of basketball, certainly compared to a Dorka, for example..

She is extremely athletic, though still partially raw in talent, has great conditioning, is more of a mechanical player than a fluid one right now, and Geno sees great promise in her as do many BYers. I do too but I am cognizant of these other areas where improvement is needed. I worry in games now where those turnovers or mistakes will prove costly but I have also seen her have very tight, focused games as well. I don't think she played a lot of basketball games in the off season last year ( as opposed to practicing) and that may be the reason for her slow start this year but her improvement each game lately has been discernible.

She deserved to be on the All BET team. I am only saying that I don't think she was the highlighted player last night or on Sunday. As good as she was, I was also floored by Evina's 4th quarter performance and her new found speed and confidence.
That Is, I think, a very balanced and accurate assessment of a young athlete who is learning how to apply her physical strength to a more refined and fluid pattern of play with more insight on how to read the floor.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
She's only 19 years old. Wait until she matures, gets stronger, and her conscious proprioception catches up with her size. I look forward to that time.
Those who have gone through any injury know that word well. It's the whole everything (waving hands in the air) of mind & body figuring out how to work together again.

Reaction Score
Regarding CD channeling Maddy Seigrist, what in the hell is wrong with that? They are similar players in many ways. I think Seigrist would be an excellent player for CD to model going forward. Of course she could observe and learn some things from her, for example that move from the middle of the post area.

I think there are a lot of reasons why Azzi got the most pt. One reason is because right now she's our biggest scoring threat and Geno wants that scorer on the floor who can score at any time. And he is wise to optimize her for the NCAA. Azzi will be key to winning at least one game in the tournament, especially if we make it to the final 4.

I'm not so sure if Azzi isn't a better overall defender than Nika already. She doesn't get as many steals but she is rapidly improving as a defender. Is smart and moves her feet. In the last game or 2 she has really ramped things up. Her intensity is great and she gives so much more on the offensive side as well. I don't think we need Nika to be in there to be strong defensively. I have no problem with her starting and setting a tone but the team is fine defensively. We sometimes struggle to score at the beginning of games so maybe having more offense in there besides CW and Azzi would be good. Why not start Caroline? She is underutilized.
Totally agree. Yeah Azzi doesn't get as many steals as Nika but I think Azzi is really good at denying ball movement. Whether she's guarding an opponent with the ball or denying someone getting the ball. She anticipates what that opponent wants to do and can often force them to do something else.

Reaction Score
to me the best lineup the past month has been Muhl Fudd Olivia Williams and Edwards and Ducharme coming off the bench with solid minutes. If you told me to pick between Paige at 60% or Ducharme at 100% I'd take Ducharme.

Reaction Score
On that undercut play if you watch the replay it sure wasn't planned, the Villanova girl was leaning very hard with her back pushing on AE's back to try to get position that when AE jumped to get the rebound there suddenly was nothing solid to push against. she went down and AE flipped landing on her. Still dangerous and both could have been hurt but will happen when the refs allow that much contact.

Reaction Score
Lots of talk about Paige needing confidence and problems are mental. The underlying problem right now is still a physical one. She is limited because she has not fully recovered from her injury and subsequent surgery. She was questionable to see any minutes at all last night because she was hurting. Not because of a lack of confidence or not mentally ready.

We have no clue what progress she will make from now till the beginning of the tourney. When it comes to healing, everyone is different. Before we worry about restoring confidence and being mentally ready, she needs to be a lot more physically ready than she is right now.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
My husband and I were discussing the Caroline/Azzi time thing. He thought that Geno wants to get Azzi into a groove going into the tourney and was giving her more time on the court since she came back after Caroline got many minutes under her belt. Geno now has the luxury of playing Caroline limited minutes until she feels 100%. Last I heard, CD said Caroline wasn’t quite there yet.
Sorta like Swin in the FF semis.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
While not insinuating trying to injure- she checks into the game and draws 3 fouls in about 20 seconds. Coincidence?
(24 beers in a case-24 hours in a day- also a coincidence?)
'cause no Uconn has ever picked up 3 quick fouls.

Reaction Score
Crediting AE for Seigrist's air balls is pretty inappropriate to me. AE did well against Seigrist but it was a team effort and if Seigrist is getting those 3 pointers off cleanly that's not good defense. She just missed. If we were man to man, which we were not, then I'd match her up with Ducharme.

Reaction Score
I don't know about you but Geno remembers the heroic efforts of his short-rotation teams from Gabby and Kia on but they were either getting exhausted by the FF or not fully healthy, having to deal with niggling injuries. So, if you have 9 good rotation players, use them and find a way to optimize their collective value playing together and coming into the game in waves......

I think he is relishing this "riches" for a change.....I hope he stays with it even in the FF, with slight changes should they run into challenging situations
Geno also remembers his great success record of 13 straight Final Fours and 11 titles. He'll do what the situation calls for just as he has done every year. This year there are possibly no A/A's. Definitely no 1st team A/A's. When was the last time this has happened? Yet he has many players bunched in at being very, very, very, very, very, very, very good which he hasn't had in the past few years. Under these circumstances, if all the players continue to play well, Geno will play them.

It's not as much that "Geno has changed." It's that overall there are more players that are real good while none are absolutely super which means the team's overall strength has changed.

I am so happy for the seniors. A season to be proud of.

Reaction Score
Geno also remembers his great success record of 13 straight Final Fours and 11 titles. He'll do what the situation calls for just as he has done every year. This year there are possibly no A/A's. Definitely no 1st team A/A's. When was the last time this has happened? Yet he has many players bunched in at being very, very, very, very, very, very, very good which he hasn't had in the past few years. Under these circumstances, if all the players continue to play well, Geno will play them.

It's not as much that "Geno has changed." It's that overall there are more players that are real good while none are absolutely super which means the team's overall strength has changed.

I am so happy for the seniors. A season to be proud of.
To my eyes, there are AA quality players on the team now at their current level of play. It's just that none has consistently performed at these levels all season for one reason or another. The closest is Christyn but not enough. Evina's level shot up after two events - mentioned in these boards - happened. Dorka has turned into something I didn't expect: a well-rounded BB player - maybe she always was. Aaliyah is now showing her better side which we had a glimpse of last year and there are not too many post players in college I would take over her. And, of course, Caroline and Azzi have goods to get there. The way Olivia plays limits her ceiling for AA but I like her anyway. Nika? Love her regardless.

But the 9 are simply so good together now.

Reaction Score
Loved this

Attachments

• 51C8C6BC-7605-4697-B89C-F73867B18EC9.jpeg
    51C8C6BC-7605-4697-B89C-F73867B18EC9.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 158
Reaction Score
Crediting AE for Seigrist's air balls is pretty inappropriate to me. AE did well against Seigrist but it was a team effort and if Seigrist is getting those 3 pointers off cleanly that's not good defense. She just missed. If we were man to man, which we were not, then I'd match her up with Ducharme.
Actually, before the game, that question came up here on the BY and that was my thought. Caroline has shown good footwork,smarts and has the wingspan to ‘trouble’ a player like Maddy.
And, IMHO, zone or man to man, shooting airballs indicates that someone is right up in your grill.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In watching several replays, I am seeing how excellent Aaliyah's screening game is. Great positioning, broad stance, holds it well and has that subtle movement to extend it just enough,

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Very nice of Fox to stay after the game and allow us to watch all the awards ceremonies and not cut away to other programming. :)

Agreed, and perhaps not a bad idea to drop FS1 a note of appreciation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Actually, before the game, that question came up here on the BY and that was my thought. Caroline has shown good footwork,smarts and has the wingspan to ‘trouble’ a player like Maddy.
And, IMHO, zone or man to man, shooting airballs indicates that someone is right up in your grill.
The Huskies were making her rush her shots.

Reaction Score
To my eyes, there are AA quality players on the team now at their current level of play. It's just that none has consistently performed at these levels all season for one reason or another. The closest is Christyn but not enough. Evina's level shot up after two events - mentioned in these boards - happened. Dorka has turned into something I didn't expect: a well-rounded BB player - maybe she always was. Aaliyah is now showing her better side which we had a glimpse of last year and there are not too many post players in college I would take over her. And, of course, Caroline and Azzi have goods to get there. The way Olivia plays limits her ceiling for AA but I like her anyway. Nika? Love her regardless.

But the 9 are simply so good together now.
It's as you say - they haven't been consistent enough to be A/A's.. In those cases you use more of a bench if you can. They are playing so well because so many are so good. That hasn't always been the case.

Azzi Fudd didn't wear down and she played 36 minutes. Someone mentioned she took Paige's minutes. IMO it's not the case. As an example, if Geno was so intent on change he would've given more to CD, EW or Nika or a combination of (not give someone 36 minutes with the though "she will wear down."). Regardless of other reasons why he did it, Azzi didn't wear down. Paige was POY last year. No way should they be playing 36 every game though.

What we know is that Geno will do what's best as he has always done. He may do something technically wrong here or there that will be pointed out after the game but philosophically he's been on target as the 13 straight Final Fours and 11 Titles show us. .

Reaction Score
OK, Boontonbomber, even after 44 years of teaching English, that is the first time I have even seen that word! And on a sports fan site??!!!
Well, I first heard it 60 years ago, in a college diving class. Springfield College's legendary swim coach, Charlie Silvia, was talking about the need to know where your body parts were, in space, and in relationship to your other body parts, in order to execute a dive.I guess, basically, it has to do with motor coordination of the body. It was rather obvious that I was sadly lacking CP, as most of my dives resulted in belly flops.

Reaction Score
Great word and very appropriate. I just don't know if maturity alone will change it. I would put my money on a lot of playing time and training over the summer.
She should get much stronger over the next few years, and that will directly affect her ability to control her movements.

Reaction Score
She's only 19 years old. Wait until she matures, gets stronger, and her conscious proprioception catches up with her size. I look forward to that time.
what are you talking about she's 20 already

Reaction Score
It's as you say - they haven't been consistent enough to be A/A's.. In those cases you use more of a bench if you can. They are playing so well because so many are so good. That hasn't always been the case.

Azzi Fudd didn't wear down and she played 36 minutes. Someone mentioned she took Paige's minutes. IMO it's not the case. As an example, if Geno was so intent on change he would've given more to CD, EW or Nika or a combination of (not give someone 36 minutes with the though "she will wear down."). Regardless of other reasons why he did it, Azzi didn't wear down. Paige was POY last year. No way should they be playing 36 every game though.

What we know is that Geno will do what's best as he has always done. He may do something technically wrong here or there that will be pointed out after the game but philosophically he's been on target as the 13 straight Final Fours and 11 Titles show us. .
I did but that was partly a joke. He was going to reduce Paige's minutes because of the 3rd consecutive game in 3 days but he really wanted Azzi to reach a higher comfort level in tournament time while trying to regain confidence following a horrible shooting night. He needs Azzi as a weapon in the Big Dance, so she has to be fully confident for that. If Paige was normal, he would have liked nothing better than have her and Azzi spend more time together on court in preparation for the NCAAs - to have them primed for the games ahead. Finally, he was also testing how Azzi would hold up with longer minutes in case he needed to use her more later.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I disagree. It seemed like every time they blew a whistle, the call went UConn’s way. Villanova called for 10 fouls, UConn for 5. Women's Basketball vs Villanova on 3/7/2022 - Box Score - University of Connecticut Athletics

UConn was by far more physical and aggressive. I thought they let the kids play because if they didn’t the Huskies could have been called for a lot more
Number of calls and accuracy different. Nika foul for instance, the picker as Nika went past hip checked her into I believe Olson, foul called on Nika. Happened right in front of me and the official.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom