UConn-USF Rescheduled to Nov 4 >> ECU moved to Sept 24 @ Noon | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UConn-USF Rescheduled to Nov 4 >> ECU moved to Sept 24 @ Noon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It knocks me out as well but,

it's not our stadium, we rent it. we didn't get moved to accommodate anyone. it's first division soccer

NYCFC purchased the use of the stadium that day from the actual owners, not UConn. So we have to negotiate with the owners for an available date.

We're getting 12 games again, this is good news. For every poster who complain about this being a Sunday game, there's 2-3 more who whine about Saturday noon games because their kids play crappy soccer.

It's a terrible product. In the World soccer pyramid they are probably lower than 3rd-4th tier soccer.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Ugh. This game being a Sunday knocks me out.

Maybe I'm the only one, but the fact we got moved to a Sunday to accommodate 3rd division crappy soccer in our own football stadium stings.

Can't see the forest through the trees

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
Fascinating that the league really was willing to do all this jumping around...and it not also result in the UCF-Memphis having a new date as well.

And what happens to UMass? Ditched twice w/o rescheduling? I know, not our problem, but still - interesting.

I believe UMass will get their money nonetheless, from the insurance policy these games have.

Reaction Score
It's a terrible product. In the World soccer pyramid they are probably lower than 3rd-4th tier soccer.
That's irrelevant to the overall point I made. And it's first division for the US, there's no higher level of soccer played here professionally (I'm talking leagues, not national teams), which is why I said 1st division.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
ESPN usually airs like pro bowling or something against NFL Sundays. Maybe this will actually help exposure?

I doubt this will be on TV. There may even be an agreement between the Networks and NFL to not air college games on Sundays. I know they move all of the New Year's Day bowl games if it is on a Sunday (like last year). Last year, Georgia had a game rescheduled to a Sunday that was not aired as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Any chance we can get a "Confirmed - Benedict is a Rock Star!" thread?
Too soon but probably can get a "Is Benedict is a Rock Star? Confirme_!" thread up there.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Benedict is showing yet again that he is perhaps the best AD that we have ever had. Big kudos to that man.

Also, a shout out to Aresco and the AAC. They really could have said "screw it", but they demonstrated the intestinal fortitude that should reinforce that we indeed are P6. Now it's time for us to take care of business.

Pride. Heart. UConn.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Nice job by UConn / AAC / ECU.

I think the reaction is slightly overboard though. They weren't reinventing quantum physics here...just rescheduling two football games, lol.

Happy they got it done though. Much needed.

Reaction Score
It was very much a thing. Of course, this doesn't happen without USF being not just amenable but proactive in the process, which kind of torpedoes the entire theory . . .

It doesn't make your point to continually argue against something no one is disputing. I do hope that point is valid in November though.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
He's said so often.

From the man himself...

I've told myself this many times over the years, "Stay off the Boneyard, Jacobs. And if you go on the UConn fans' website, make sure the wife hides all the sharp objects. Cause it's going to be a rough ride."

Do I listen to myself? Of course not. I'll hold out for a few weeks, but then I give in to the worst angels of my masochism. It's just so entertaining being exposed as a nitwit by the fanatics. I also am the first to admit sometimes there really is strong, legitimate provocative thought. Sometimes — sometimes — there is some rational discourse.

Reaction Score
Somehow I think USF wanted this game to happen as much as Uconn and you know the AAC wanted it. The Umass buyout is probably being paid by the league. You have a potential that USF is a NY's 6 bowl team and it keeps them clean in the eyes of the selection groups if they win the AAC (no complaints from second place or other leagues about them playing 1 less conference game).

As is the case with many things, lots of moving parts and all parties should be given credit for making it happen (5 teams, their AD's and the AAC).

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I doubt this will be on TV. There may even be an agreement between the Networks and NFL to not air college games on Sundays. I know they move all of the New Year's Day bowl games if it is on a Sunday (like last year). Last year, Georgia had a game rescheduled to a Sunday that was not aired as well.
American Football‏ @American_FB 31s 32 seconds ago
Time/TV update: The Sunday, 9/24 game between @ECUPiratesFB and @UConnFootball will start at noon ET and will be televised on ESPNU.

They move the New Years Day bowls off Sunday because some are played in NFL Stadiums, are televised by the same networks, and/or would be competing for the same eyeballs. It's good business. TV partners would probably have a hard(er) time selling advertising to the NCAA Bowls at typical rates, because those (mostly glorified exhibition) games would be crushed by the NFL contests, with potential playoff implications. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis.

Incidentally, That Georgia/USC game was televised on ESPN3 and the SEC Network.

Reaction Score
Somehow I think USF wanted this game to happen as much as Uconn and you know the AAC wanted it. The Umass buyout is probably being paid by the league.
When USF and UMess agreed to play in a few years, would there even be any need for a buyout? With likely bigger personal ambitions down the road, maybe the latter's young AD was pretty open to ingratiate himself individually with other schools.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
You're Man City B,
You're Man City B.
Oh wait, there's Melbourne,
You're Man City three....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do I listen to myself? Of course not. I'll hold out for a few weeks, but then I give in to the worst angels of my masochism. It's just so entertaining being exposed as a nitwit by the fanatics.

But by now you can consider the source(s).

Reaction Score
I won't hold my breath for the "USF cancelled the game solely because they're afraid to play UConn and want to focus on Illinois" contingent to resurface here.

No, the idea that they were straight up afraid to play us was never a theory by anyone.

The idea was that the USF team and coaches may have been distracted by the storm, maybe had a lousy week of practice because of it and then on top of that now had to worry about getting stuck in CT which would hurt their prep for Friday's game. Because of all of this they may have been looking at one or even two losses caused by the storm. The fact that the game will now be played in November does nothing to disprove this theory. BTW I said if I were in Charlie Strong's shoes I would have canceled the game too.

This is a victory for the posters who were pissed off that the game was canceled. This game was not going to be rescheduled and now it is. My guess is that AD Dave was the driving force behind this and we know he takes the temperature of the Boneyard on a regular basis.

I wonder if the insurance company told the AAC to go pound sand for canceling the game on a sunny day.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wow - great job by Aresco to get all this done. This might be the best thing he's ever done.

His TV expertise, understanding programming and how to get things done. His friends at ESPN, etc. Excellent choice for leading and promoting the AAC. In the beginning many didn't want to give him Kudos because understandly they wanted out of AAC. As long as we're in this league, happy he is charge.

Let's hope we're saying the new TV deal is the best thing he's ever done next year!

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
They move the New Years Day bowls off Sunday because some are played in NFL Stadiums, are televised by the same networks, and/or would be competing for the same eyeballs. It's good business. TV partners would probably have a hard(er) time selling advertising to the NCAA Bowls at typical rates, because those (mostly glorified exhibition) games would be crushed by the NFL contests, with potential playoff implications. It's a simple cost/benefit analysis.

Incidentally, That Georgia/USC game was televised on ESPN3 and the SEC Network.

Well, this is one time I am glad to be wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom