UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam | Page 9 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Response to cesspool comment:
There is absolutely nothing showing quid pro qou for the Clinton Foundation. Someday that may happen but it hasn't. All that is known is the State Dept had spoken to some donors. The two mentioned were Melinda Gates and some Nobel Prize and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. Both are people our state dept should speak to. But while you are throwing around BS, you can check on why the Points of Light Foundation and the George H. W. Bush foundations were never asked these questions when George W Bush was President and his father kept his 2 foundations running.
It is probably that, like the Clinton Foundation,and unlike the Trump Foundation, H.W. foundations do a lot of good.

Two other people on the Clinton Foundation/State Department quid pro quo "hit list" are the actor Ben Affleck and Elie Wiesel (yes that Elie Wiesel, Nazi hunter and Nobel Prize winner).

C

Chief00

Response to cesspool comment:
There is absolutely nothing showing quid pro qou for the Clinton Foundation. Someday that may happen but it hasn't. All that is known is the State Dept had spoken to some donors. The two mentioned were Melinda Gates and some Nobel Prize and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. Both are people our state dept should speak to. But while you are throwing around BS, you can check on why the Points of Light Foundation and the George H. W. Bush foundations were never asked these questions when George W Bush was President and his father kept his 2 foundations running.
It is probably that, like the Clinton Foundation,and unlike the Trump Foundation, H.W. foundations do a lot of good.
85 of 154 private meetings were with donors - who gave $156 million. In a country of over 300,000,000 people that's more than a coincidence.

Reaction Score
Two other people on the Clinton Foundation/State Department quid pro quo "hit list" are the actor Ben Affleck and Elie Wiesel (yes that Elie Wiesel, Nazi hunter and Nobel Prize winner).

Cesspool. And I mean, why do you support Citizens United if you don't like quid pro quo. Make it illegal. There done, wont even need a cesspool discussion.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
85 of 154 private meetings were with donors - who gave $156 million. In a country of over 300,000,000 people that's more than a coincidence.
I ever bring politics to this forum. You and Jay should not. But if you take a pot shot, I will respond.
So do you really think the state dept only had 154 meetings? That is ridiculous. There are thousands of meetings. So 85 out of those cherry picked 154 but really thousands.
Second, a meeting with Melinda Gates is not inappropriate
Third, non of this shows the quid pro quo that Jay stated.

Finally, even if something real were actually proven, which it has not, it doesn't belong here. There are a million outlets for people's political blather, you don't need to pollute this one.
My God! A politician took the time to meet with someone who donated money! That must really offend the sensibilities of our elected officials! At least this money was for charity and not a campaign.

C

Chief00

I ever bring politics to this forum. You and Jay should not. But if you take a pot shot, I will respond.
So do you really think the state dept only had 154 meetings? That is ridiculous. There are thousands of meetings. So 85 out of those cherry picked 154 but really thousands.
Second, a meeting with Melinda Gates is not inappropriate
Third, non of this shows the quid pro quo that Jay stated.

Finally, even if something real were actually proven, which it has not, it doesn't belong here. There are a million outlets for people's political blather, you don't need to pollute this one.
My God! A politician took the time to meet with someone who donated money! That must really offend the sensibilities of our elected officials! At least this money was for charity and not a campaign.

I actually responded to your post, so your most recent post is factually wrong about who brings up politics but I do agree let's not discuss politics here.

Also, you are woefully ignorant on the private meetings - these are non governmental meetings with Secretary Clinton. True, this current scope only covers half her tenure but the reason is that despite a Federal Judge's order 7 months ago - her friends at the State Dept have only released half her detailed calendar - the remaining half won't be completed until 2 months after the election. I suspect the worse is to come.

As for charity - per the Foundation's filings only 10% of expense was used for grants to charitable organizations.

Done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I actually responded to your post, so your most recent post is factually wrong about who brings up politics but I do agree let's not discuss politics here.

Also, you are woefully ignorant on the private meetings - these are non governmental meetings with Secretary Clinton. True, this current scope only covers half her tenure but the reason is that despite a Federal Judge's order 7 months ago - her friends at the State Dept have only released half her detailed calendar - the remaining half won't be completed until 2 months after the election. I suspect the worse is to come.

As for charity - per the Foundation's filings only 10% of expense was used for grants to charitable organizations.

Done.
False: 80% of Clinton Foundation costs aren't 'overhead'

Reaction Score
UConn and Villanova were granted the right to upgrade into the Big East football conference as a result of their votes for the inclusion of Penn State. The decision to add Miami was free of any drama and/or horse trading.

first. According to Bleacher report PSU was rejected in 1982. At the time only BC, Syracuse and Pittsburgh were D1 football and there was NO BE football for 8 years so I don't understand how Villa and Uconn votes included a BE entry form.
2nd When Miami joined the BE 1991 their BB program was nonexistent. It was just coming back from extinction. they were not an addition to the best bb conference

3rd football only joiners were RU, VT, WVU and Temple.

Miami begged several conferences but were rejected. It was at this time or when the 3 other school became BE full members the the offer was made to UConn and VU to join BE football option.

C

Chief00

Read your own article and not the headline - it doesn't disagree with my statement that only 10% of expense was used for grants to charitable organizations.
The way it gets to 80% is to include overhead in that figure by saying the foundation directly delivers charity - therefore it makes the argument that salaries, travel expenses, conferences expenses should be included as what is delivered to charity. People with financial backgrounds wouldn't agree with that journalist fact check analysis. The problem is perhaps like you they don't have the financial background to understand how the numbers work.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Read your own article and not the headline - it doesn't disagree with my statement that only 10% of expense was used for grants to charitable organizations.
The way it gets to 80% is to include overhead in that figure by saying the foundation directly delivers charity - therefore it makes the argument that salaries, travel expenses, conferences expenses should be included as what is delivered to charity. People with financial backgrounds wouldn't agree with that journalist fact check analysis. The problem is perhaps like you they don't have the financial background to understand how the numbers work.

Not sure if you are ignorant or just a partisan. People intentionally ripping a charity that saves tons of lives for political gain, deserve a special place in hell. The Clinton foundation has an A rating.
Your veracity, not so much.

C

Chief00

Not sure if you are ignorant or just a partisan. People intentionally ripping a charity that saves tons of lives for political gain, deserve a special place in hell. The Clinton foundation has an A rating.
Your veracity, not so much.

Partisan - Not really - never been a party affiliated voter. I vote for candidates for both parties although this time I may go Libertarian. I did read the foundation tax filing after reading controversy in the news - and the numbers are what they are regardless of what anyone posts.

That tells me a lot more than probably some kid a year out of college working for peanuts - pretending they have a clue how to do a so called fact check analyzing a financial document. Just my guess from the sloppy write-up.
Are you partisan?

Reaction Score
Partisan - Not really - never been a party affiliated voter. I vote for candidates for both parties although this time I may go Libertarian. I did read the foundation tax filing after reading controversy in the news - and the numbers are what they are regardless of what anyone posts.

That tells me a lot more than probably some kid a year out of college working for peanuts - pretending they have a clue how to do a so called fact check analyzing a financial document. Just my guess from the sloppy write-up.
Are you partisan?

If you're going to vote libertarian, which has always been expressly in favor of things like Citizen United, then why would you care about people giving money for influence? This is all legal--nothing illegal about it. It stinks to high heaven, but the fact remains, we don't want to regulate people who own politicians.

Reaction Score
If you're going to vote libertarian, which has always been expressly in favor of things like Citizen United, then why would you care about people giving money for influence? This is all legal--nothing illegal about it. It stinks to high heaven, but the fact remains, we don't want to regulate people who own politicians.

And here I didn't think I could enjoy a political post.

Reaction Score
It actually does disagree with your statement. In fact, it was only 6% in 2014. Because that isn't what they do. You do realize that their mission is not just to take money from some people and give it to other people right?

Reaction Score
I guess at the end of the day - I don't understand how anyone can think staying in the American conference is feasible if UConn gets left out. It's bad enough for football - but as a hoops conference it's 1,000% a smoldering corpse - and that's being friendly.

-No Cincy or Memphis.
-A Larry Brown-less SMU
-Houston is still a few years away
-Tulane more so.
-Temple is always OK. Tulsa less so than Temple, but they're mildly competitive.

Everything else is a first-rate dumpster fire. Why light your bread and butter program on fire by staying? I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone would see that as a benefit. Sure maybe some ridiculous miracle happens and the American goes into pitched survival mode and starts casting a national net to rope in as many cast-offs to create the largest island of misfit toys ever seen - but that's just not likely to happen.

At a point - while it's not ideal - if UConn isn't in the Big XII you almost have to look at how you best protect your floor rather than wish casting your ceiling and I honestly think moving hoops to the Big East is a far better option. I'd take 'Nova, Georgetown, Xavier, Providence, Marquette and Butler over almost anyone else left in the remains of the American from a basketball standpoint. St John's seems to be actually trying again - and I figure Chris Mullen is able to pull them out of the abyss in five years or so... and Seton Hall will likely remain what it is. Creighton is a perfectly decent program.

I mean maybe the B1G gets off the pot and decides to swoop in since they'd have the leverage. Maybe the ACC comes around but I doubt it. You're kind of left with a wish and a prayer on the B1G but that's it. The Big East is available and a possibility - you take that.

So i honesty think it depends on which AAC teams get plucked, but if it's more than two and UConn isn't one of them, I'm jumping ship if I'm UConn. Life raft with low likelihood of survival is a better option than sharing a piece of drift wood in a storm. That being said - if it's just say - Houston and BYU, well then of course you stay. But yeah - duck this conference post-realignment.

Reaction Score
I guess at the end of the day - I don't understand how anyone can think staying in the American conference is feasible if UConn gets left out. It's bad enough for football - but as a hoops conference it's 1,000% a smoldering corpse - and that's being friendly.

-No Cincy or Memphis.
-A Larry Brown-less SMU
-Houston is still a few years away
-Tulane more so.
-Temple is always OK. Tulsa less so than Temple, but they're mildly competitive.

Everything else is a first-rate dumpster fire. Why light your bread and butter program on fire by staying? I can't for the life of me figure out how anyone would see that as a benefit. Sure maybe some ridiculous miracle happens and the American goes into pitched survival mode and starts casting a national net to rope in as many cast-offs to create the largest island of misfit toys ever seen - but that's just not likely to happen.

At a point - while it's not ideal - if UConn isn't in the Big XII you almost have to look at how you best protect your floor rather than wish casting your ceiling and I honestly think moving hoops to the Big East is a far better option. I'd take 'Nova, Georgetown, Xavier, Providence, Marquette and Butler over almost anyone else left in the remains of the American from a basketball standpoint. St John's seems to be actually trying again - and I figure Chris Mullen is able to pull them out of the abyss in five years or so... and Seton Hall will likely remain what it is. Creighton is a perfectly decent program.

I mean maybe the B1G gets off the pot and decides to swoop in since they'd have the leverage. Maybe the ACC comes around but I doubt it. You're kind of left with a wish and a prayer on the B1G but that's it. The Big East is available and a possibility - you take that.

So i honesty think it depends on which AAC teams get plucked, but if it's more than two and UConn isn't one of them, I'm jumping ship if I'm UConn. Life raft with low likelihood of survival is a better option than sharing a piece of drift wood in a storm. That being said - if it's just say - Houston and BYU, well then of course you stay. But yeah - duck this conference post-realignment.

Not sure what you mean by bad enough for football. This is the best football conference UConn has ever played in, better than the Big East.

Everyone acknowledges it is nowhere near the BE for bball.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you mean by bad enough for football. This is the best football conference UConn has ever played in, better than the Big East.

Everyone acknowledges it is nowhere near the BE for bball.

First of all, that's simply not true. Even if that were true right now, if teams get poached it won't be. Why does no one understand that. "The AAC isn't all that bad blah blah blah"

Well, if 2 or 3 of the top teams are gone, it will be *that* bad

Reaction Score
First of all, that's simply not true. Even if that were true right now, if teams get poached it won't be. Why does no one understand that. "The AAC isn't all that bad blah blah blah"

Well, if 2 or 3 of the top teams are gone, it will be *that* bad

Why is it simply not true? Stack the teams from last year against any year's BE teams, and it is easy to see it.

Reaction Score
Why is it simply not true? Stack the teams from last year against any year's BE teams, and it is easy to see it.

Did you forget about WVU? They almost played in the national championship...

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Did you forget about WVU? They almost played in the national championship...

The American is a better football conference top to bottom than the Big East was. There were legitimate top 25 teams last year and UCF/USF/ECU/UH/SMU/CIN/Tulsa/Tulane/Navy are football schools first and foremost. Laugh if you want but hell even Tulane has a decent football history (nothing really since leaving the SEC besides the 1 undefeated season in the 90's) and Tulsa has won multiple conference titles in their prior leagues.

Basketball this conference sucks but football wise this conference is extremely challenging. If nothing else its the Big East with more conference games/mates to compete in/against

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom