UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam | Page 8 | The Boneyard

UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wasn't he responsible for getting the Justice League sushi?
You guys are right that most of the time he couldn't do much except swim fast so that they could have a scene with Superman flying, Wonderwoman in the invisible jet and Aquaman booking it by water.

But then in terms of what he'd actually do it was mostly use his telepathy waves to tell whales, dolphins & octopus to get in the bad guys way. In essence the Aquaman character is what you'd get if Dr. Dolittle and Michael Phelps had a baby.

Reaction Score
People keep thinking lawsuits or congress or the Justice League are all going to come rolling in to bail out the little guy....

It's not happening.

I know the UConn lawsuit over BC and Miami leaving failed miserably and backfired spectacularly. I have also heard the argument that the constitution does not hold for private organizations to which members join voluntarily. However, the Ivy League is not P5. Congress' balls are held by Ivy grads. If enough of them get pissed off, congress will do something because their masters will make them. UConn grads don't have the power to make anything happen by Harvard graduates do. We can hope that they like what Tommy Amaker has built there.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I know the UConn lawsuit over BC and Miami leaving failed miserably and backfired spectacularly.
Actually if resulted in UConn and several other schools receiving a 7 figure settlement payment and likely kept 'cuse in the league for a decade.

I know it's not the popular mythology, but the lawsuit was beneficial to UConn and the Big East. By any reasonable measure I think you'd have charactorize it as being successful.

Reaction Score
Actually if resulted in UConn and several other schools receiving a 7 figure settlement payment and likely kept 'cuse in the league for a decade.

I know it's not the popular mythology, but the lawsuit was beneficial to UConn and the Big East. By any reasonable measure I think you'd have charactorize it as being successful.
Except for the whole being black balled from the ACC thing......

CL82

Reaction Score
Except for the whole being black balled from the ACC thing.
Well since they didn't blackball the other plaintiffs, I think you have discount the lawsuit as a causative factor in UConn's current woe's.

Reaction Score
Well since they didn't blackball the other plaintiffs, I think you have discount the lawsuit as a causative factor in UConn's current woe's.
But weren't we the ringleaders through our AG? If not this, what else did we do to piss off those nice BCU priests?

Reaction Score
Except for the whole being black balled from the ACC thing.
UConn did not get "back balled". Hilarious that you believe that BC frickin U has any kind of power in the ACC.

UConn lost out to Louisville because schools with actual power such as FSU and Clemson wanted more football than UConn could provide at the time.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
What about "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us"? Sounds like the folks at BCU are going to have to a much higher authority.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
not really, its largely based on the logical thought that the devaluation of a P5 exclusive March Madness tournament is drastic enough to prevent the P5 schools from collectively doing so. They might make more money by excluding everyone else but that tv contract would be so much less, plus if they were to split they risk losing non-profit status which loses them even more money. I'm sure some schools will be for it, but many won't be. Plus, can you imagine the media fallout from doing so? Good luck sifting through that PR nightmare. "What do you have to say about gutting one of the longstanding traditions in college athletics?". Lol no amount of money makes up the amount of negative press the P5 schools would receive for making a move like some of you are suggesting.

You avoid this problem by including the BE and the A-10 and MWC + the best from the MVC and MAC in this conversation. Again, as a longtime supporter of college basketball, I would find a Big East + best of the G5 or whatever tournament more compelling than a tournament that features first round matchups between schools like Rutgers and Utah. Many would agree with me, I am sure. And not just my buddies who are supporters of Big East programs. Maybe I'm old school in my way of thinking. I will leave my arguments at this and bookmark this thread, we'll see who is right in 25 years when the current tournament contract expires.
I think that if colleges (like the Ivy League, Stamford etc.) haven't lost their tax exempt status over the size of their endowment funds which are absurd in terms of how little is
distributed for reducing tuition (they are exempt because they are in the education business, not the influence business) it is highly unlikely that they would lose it over the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
UConn did not get "back balled". Hilarious that you believe that BC frickin U has any kind of power in the ACC.

UConn lost out to Louisville because schools with actual power such as FSU and Clemson wanted more football than UConn could provide at the time.

Why do you keep saying this when it so easy to refute you (he's talking about '11, by the way)?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

REALLY?
What do you base your conclusion upon
Far more "stuff" out there supporting a BCU led/highly involved exclusion effort
Clemson being a power is a bit overstated albeit their football program has some good years
I think the conversation centered around the pre Louisville entry years anyway

Reaction Score

I thought BC blocking us was common knowledge. Not trying to be a , but this is at least a common Boneyard trope. Is this not true?

Reaction Score
I thought BC blocking us was common knowledge. Not trying to be a , but this is at least a common Boneyard trope. Is this not true?

It's more of a matter of BC claiming they blocked us because "New England was their turf" but in all actuality they had little say. It was them parading around, basically, when it was truly the southern FB powers who put the brakes on us

CL82

Reaction Score
It's more of a matter of BC claiming they blocked us because "New England was their turf" but in all actuality they had little say. It was them parading around, basically, when it was truly the southern FB powers who put the brakes on us
It was a marriage of. convenience. FSU and Clemson flexed their muscles and BCU took advantage of it.

Reaction Score

You're conflating two different events here. I don't buy that the "southern football schools" chose to block us while they were inviting Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Reaction Score

Where are you getting this from?

How did the Southern football powers put the brakes on us?

I never red anything about that.

Reaction Score
It was UConn who turned the tide to allow the rogue program into the BE in the nineties. We were a rising power in basketball and the BE was the top Basketball conference. No one wanted Miami at that time. The football program had risen to the top but free credit cards to the players lead to the rogue image. They had no Basketball at all.

When UConn and Villanova were granted rights to upgrade their programs and join the BE in football., it was Miami who colluded with BC and Syracuse to move to the ACC. Miami did not want to play home games against UConn in front of a 1/2 full stadium so they reached out to ACC. At first the VT was substituted for BC with political pressure from Virginia. BC joined hands with the ruminants of the BE and gave the three musketeer vow all for one and one for all. On a friday night they the leader of the save the BE and by sunday they were in the ACC. Great ethical standards for a catholic school.

Until UConn football can stand alone on revenues and draws tv attention we will always be the short end of the stick

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Miami vote had nothing to do with UConn getting the 'right to upgrade.'

Your facts are sketchy all around there.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
my facts are fine but my memory is old. the Uconn entry was a quid pro quo. Kinda like the Clinton Foundation and the secretary of State

UConn and Villanova were granted the right to upgrade into the Big East football conference as a result of their votes for the inclusion of Penn State. The decision to add Miami was free of any drama and/or horse trading.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
UConn and Villanova were granted the right to upgrade into the Big East football conference as a result of their votes for the inclusion of Penn State. The decision to add Miami was free of any drama and/or horse trading.
I think he means Miami left the BE solely because UConn was joining in football. Instead of the guaranteed $ and "uptick" in academic prestige.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
This is kind of an interesting. Noticeably absent from this discussion is the presence of ESPN and their markets as well as the lawsuit by Blumenthal.
Are we now saying they ESPN held no sway in UConn's exclusion from the ACC? Please correct if I am wrong here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Response to cesspool comment:
There is absolutely nothing showing quid pro qou for the Clinton Foundation. Someday that may happen but it hasn't. All that is known is the State Dept had spoken to some donors. The two mentioned were Melinda Gates and some Nobel Prize and Congressional Medal of Honor recipient. Both are people our state dept should speak to. But while you are throwing around BS, you can check on why the Points of Light Foundation and the George H. W. Bush foundations were never asked these questions when George W Bush was President and his father kept his 2 foundations running.
It is probably that, like the Clinton Foundation,and unlike the Trump Foundation, H.W. foundations do a lot of good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom