UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam | The Boneyard

UConn to Big East May Be Gaining Steam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn and Big East open to reunion

"Adding UConn would help the Big East improve their TV ratings, which in turn would give the conference more leverage come time to re-negotiate with Fox Sports.

The idea of Connecticut rejoining the Big East is still unlikely, but it to be gaining some steam. Big 12 expansion will have a domino effect across the nation, it may affect the Big East more than fans may have originally thought."

Reaction Score
if Fox has any inking that this could be UConn's move if we don't get into the Big 12, we are never getting in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This makes absolutely no sense to me. Making that move is an admission that we will never have Power 5 conference football. It basically seals our fate and confines us to second rate athletic status.

Making what move?

The article points out that they will be looking to join other football conferences.

If 2 go, I don't expect UConn to leave.

If 4 go to B12, and 3 of them are from the AAC, then there is a shell of a conference left. Navy might go to at that point.

You can't argue that playing Tulsa and Tulane provide more value to UConn than, say, Louisiana Tech and Southern Mississippi.

The only real question here is will any other conference have UConn as football only.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
I have never understood why being one of the lower teams in the AAC would be better than having football only team towards the top of the MAC for getting UConn into the P5.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd much rather be in the Big East than both the AAC and the Big 12. It may not be what it once was, but it's home....it always has been. The AAC was/is much like the movie Batman vs. Superman....slap together whatever and hope for the best. I prefer not to go to the Big 12 just because it just doesn't fit. No to ACC because I have too much pride being rejected initially via BC's influence. Big East or B1G or bust...period.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
We are not joining the MAC or CUSA or any other crap conference. If I was Herbst, my the Big East end game after all this posturing is football in the AAC and basketball in the Big East. I get there by giving the AAC/ESPN some guaranteed amount of basketball (men's and women's). I would also want the same from the B12 to move over to a Fox property. This gives the AAC more value than an all sports invite like Rice, gives Fox new East Coast content on a struggling channel, gets B12 some marquee OOC games and lessens, without eliminating our reliance on ESPN. That should also lower our buyout and keep us in play for the P5.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I'd much rather be in the Big East than both the AAC and the Big 12. It may not be what it once was, but it's home....it always has been. The AAC was/is much like the movie Batman vs. Superman....slap together whatever and hope for the best. I prefer not to go to the Big 12 just because it just doesn't fit. No to ACC because I have too much pride being rejected initially via BC's influence. Big East or B1G or bust...period.
The Big East doesn't play football and it's pretty much a destruct position for UConn CR ambitions .
UConn motto has to be survive and thrive
The AAC as currently constructed is among the two best G5 schools.
Let's see who the AAC loses and attracts ,before we do something a crazy and irreversible as going back to the Big East .
The fact that only Colo State from the Mountain West is being considered tells you everything you need to know about the importance of those markets to anyone.
Maybe. You can entice and CSU to the AAC.
The problem is not football.
The BB hierarchy is weakened by the loss of Cinn
Tier 1. UConn,Memphis,Temple
Tier 2 SMU, Tulsa
Everyone else
My suggestion for adding 2 BB only schools didn't go over well but replacing Cinn and Houston with VCU,and Wichita state would give you a good BB conference
You could also work out a home and away deal for the top teams BB teams in your conference with a P5 league of the Big East. To keep your league together you get creative.
UConn needs to be hammering the Potential media partners with our options.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The point of this is to let ESPN know we aren't staying in the AAC regardless so it won't be of any benefit to you to influence the B-12 against us.

Bingo. And to let them know that their rival would get us, and to do so, might help us out a bit (maybe a scheduling alliance so we could go Indy for football, and a TV deal for that content). It's a message to ESPN that they can't keep UConn at their bargain basement price, so stop trying.

Reaction Score
Absurd. There are some people that may want this, but once Uconn made the jump to D1, there was no looking back

Reaction Score
The point of this is to let ESPN know we aren't staying in the AAC regardless so it won't be of any benefit to you to influence the B-12 against us.

That's a good point, but what about on the other side of this spectrum... Fox owning Big East basketball, not wanting us in the B12 knowing that we will be forced to join the Big East, where they will get us at a great value AND bring a major enhancement to their league that is struggling in TV ratings.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
More yahoos reading a story and commenting on it doesn't make it any more likely to happen.

Reaction Score
The Big East doesn't play football and it's pretty much a destruct position for UConn CR ambitions .
UConn motto has to be survive and thrive
The AAC as currently constructed is among the two best G5 schools.
Let's see who the AAC loses and attracts ,before we do something a crazy and irreversible as going back to the Big East .
The fact that only Colo State from the Mountain West is being considered tells you everything you need to know about the importance of those markets to anyone.
Maybe. You can entice and CSU to the AAC.
The problem is not football.
The BB hierarchy is weakened by the loss of Cinn
Tier 1. UConn,Memphis,Temple
Tier 2 SMU, Tulsa
Everyone else
My suggestion for adding 2 BB only schools didn't go over well but replacing Cinn and Houston with VCU,and Wichita state would give you a good BB conference
You could also work out a home and away deal for the top teams BB teams in your conference with a P5 league of the Big East. To keep your league together you get creative.
UConn needs to be hammering the Potential media partners with our options.

Staying in the AAC while getting paid as much as we used to be paid just for women's bball tier-3 rights is suicide. We are being screwed royally by ESPN. Of course they don't want to give up such good deal. We have to move to get more money just for survival.

Reaction Score
Staying in the AAC while getting paid as much as we used to be paid just for women's bball tier-3 rights is suicide. We are being screwed royally by ESPN. Of course they don't want to give up such good deal. We have to move to get more money just for survival.
Actually your numbers are somewhat inaccurate.
Every AAC member earned almost $2million in football playoff money from the NCAA plus
$1.5 million from ESPN
.5 million from CBS
That's about the same as the Big East gets with 4 times the exposure.
The most important thing is football particularly if Successfull keeps you in the game
The AAC is still earning revenue fron our 2011 NC, Louisville's 2013' and UConn's 2014
Last year was a good year for the Big East but I doubt we could get any money as a new member.

Reaction Score
Saying no to the ACC and B12 so that we can play Xavier, Depaul, Butler, and Seton Hall twice a year in basketball would be a real good way to kill our athletic program.

Reaction Score
Still hoping for the B-12. Take the first lifeboat that comes your way. Don't ever know when the next boat comes if ever.[/QUOTE]

^This. I'm not huge on the B-12. I'd rather the ACC just cuz it makes sense geographically and I miss Big Monday, and so forth. I know that the geography theme is changing.

But, the B-12 is a P5 conference. If you get an invite, you take it.

Reaction Score
1. The AAC over the next several years will kill all our athletics programs
2. If the AAC loses, say, Houston, Cincy and UCF, UConn will be looking at a conference of Temple, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, Memphis, USF, East Carolina. And perhaps Navy if they stick around after this debacle.
3. You can't tell me the teams I named are any better than teams in the MWC or CUSA. They're not. Better than the MAC, maybe, but just barely.
4. If UConn finds a football only home in the AAC, MWC or CUSA, they have to take it.
5. Where this becomes really scary is if only the MAC wants them for football only. At that point, you may indeed be risking your football and athletic future.
6. The BE is better than the AAC in basketball, BUT I'm not really that jazzed up over it.
7. Return to point #1

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You can't honestly prefer the Big East to the ACC! All the Big East teams you miss playing... News flash. THEY'RE IN THE ACC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom