UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are...... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I have posted before that I really believe that Chong, Butler and Ekmark are going to reach back into their recent past and during this off season work their tails off to bring back the PLAYER within! They have been considered by many to be very good WBB players, Chong & Ekmark in HS and Butler at Georgetown, so if they stay injury free we will see a rejuvenated 3 players capable of putting the Huskies on their shoulders and scoring and defending as we have hoped for.
That being said, my starting lineup for beginning the 2016-2017 season is as follows:

PG Saniya Chong
SG Kia Nurse
PF Naphessa Collier
SF KLS
C Natalie Butler
SF Gabby Williams- - - Geno has loved a player coming off the bench to add some zip to the action, Gabby is that player.

In mid to late January:
PG rotating Chong, Nurse, & Crystal Dangerfield, Bent
SG Nurse, KLS, Ekmark,
SF KLS, Gabby, Ekmark,
PF Collier, KLS, Irwin,
C Butler, Irwin

For AAC and NCAA Tournaments: Where Geno has traditionally shortened his bench: to 8 players
PG Crystal Dangerfield/ Saniya/Nurse
SG Nurse/KLS/Saniya
SG/SF KLS/
SF Gabby/Collier
PF/C Collier/Butler/Irwin

In April, these 3 scenarios are very plausible. You could be 100% spot on. I'm going to throw my two cents in as well. However, I'm going to wait until a week before the first exhibition game before I post my starting line-up. Because right now, I'd be guessing. I have no idea who's going to come back from summer break having improved on their skills to the point that it would vastly improve their chances of being considered for a starting spot. I saw every game this year, some of them twice. I'm aware of the improvements Gabby made over the summer. I also expect to see a new and improved version of KLS and Collier as well.

I'm also cognizant of the improvements that Chong, Butler and Ekmark are expected (need) to make. Some posters don't think Nurse has the handle or the quickness to play the point. Jefferson was the consummate PG. Incoming freshman Crystal Dangerfield is suppose to be her "heir apparent". If so, how long before she's ready? November?, January?, March? Next November? I have my own thoughts on that time table, but I'm keeping that close to the vest. I've haven't seen her play a game yet at the college level yet.

I remember what Geno said in one of his shows: (The Geno Auriemma Show). If I remember correctly, he was talking to CD about one of the players that shall remain nameless (its not important who he was referencing, but what he said). He said: "If a freshman hasn't made the adjustment to this level of play by her sophomore year, she never will"). Don't get mad at me. Geno said it, not me. That was his informed opinion. I'll never forget hearing him make that statement. I take that (his) observation into account when doing my assessments. A few recent freshmen in my opinion that did make that adjustment are: Dolson, Hartley, Jefferson, Mosqueda-Lewis, Tuck, Stewart, Nurse, Collier, Williams & Samuelson.

I'd really like to wait until the freshmen arrive on campus, and see what they look like against college level players, and see if they have adapted to the system enough to be of any meaningful assistance/significance during the non-conference games. I must admit that right now, my expectations for them (as freshmen) are low. One or two of them may be the exception to the rule. They were "All World" in high school against lesser talent. Let's see what they look like against elite college level players first, before we anoint them. No one expects a freshman to come in and start, especially at UConn. That's as rare as head coach Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) being cordial during a time-out media interview. But, you never know. Stranger things have happened. I enjoy reading others thoughts and predictions on who the five starters will be and why. Even more, I enjoy reading the push-back some of those posts receive.

Reaction Score
Some players just need to play consistent minutes to get their games back.I think Chong if healthy is capable of making a significant offensive contribution to the team.......same for Butler but at both ends of the court....however they better show something positive early on or could be relegated to bench duty by Captain Hook........
I agree with most of what you say--but I'd like you clarify what is meant by "Significant" in the context in which you use it. Not being argumentative (well, maybe a little) I dont mean to insult or demean--. Does it mean coming off the bench before the 4th quarter--coming in when a three will kill the offense of the opponent--playing tight defense on anyone before the 4th quarter? Her offensive skills were proven in high school--she had them of that there is no doubt--so, where in the blaze of blazes did they go to??
YOU ARE RIGHT--they need to be ready to contribute big time prior to the first OOC game.. I guess Geno is equally frustrated because they came to him as 3 ball scorers with WBB savvy!!

Reaction Score
In April, these 3 scenarios are very plausible. You could be 100% spot on. I'm going to throw my two cents in as well. However, I'm going to wait until a week before the first exhibition game before I post my starting line-up. Because right now, I'd be guessing. I have no idea who's going to come back from summer break having improved on their skills to the point that it would vastly improve their chances of being considered for a starting spot. I saw every game this year, some of them twice. I'm aware of the improvements Gabby made over the summer. I also expect to see a new and improved version of KLS and Collier as well.

I'm also cognizant of the improvements that Chong, Butler and Ekmark are expected (need) to make. Some posters don't think Nurse has the handle or the quickness to play the point. Jefferson was the consummate PG. Incoming freshman Crystal Dangerfield is suppose to be her "heir apparent". If so, how long before she's ready? November?, January?, March? Next November? I have my own thoughts on that time table, but I'm keeping that close to the vest. I've haven't seen her play a game yet at the college level yet.

I remember what Geno said in one of his shows: (The Geno Auriemma Show). If I remember correctly, he was talking to CD about one of the players that shall remain nameless (its not important who he was referencing, but what he said). He said: "If a freshman hasn't made the adjustment to this level of play by her sophomore year, she never will"). Don't get mad at me. Geno said it, not me. That was his informed opinion. I'll never forget hearing him make that statement. I take that (his) observation into account when doing my assessments. A few recent freshmen in my opinion that did make that adjustment are: Dolson, Hartley, Jefferson, Mosqueda-Lewis, Tuck, Stewart, Nurse, Collier, Williams & Samuelson.

I'd really like to wait until the freshmen arrive on campus, and see what they look like against college level players, and see if they have adapted to the system enough to be of any meaningful assistance/significance during the non-conference games. I must admit that right now, my expectations for them (as freshmen) are low. One or two of them may be the exception to the rule. They were "All World" in high school against lesser talent. Let's see what they look like against elite college level players first, before we anoint them. No one expects a freshman to come in and start, especially at UConn. That's as rare as head coach Gregg Popovich (San Antonio Spurs) being cordial during a time-out media interview. But, you never know. Stranger things have happened. I enjoy reading others thoughts and predictions on who the five starters will be and why. Even more, I enjoy reading the push-back some of those posts receive.

Your presentation of Geno's words is accurate--he has said often, in the past, that he spends his time getting Freshmen to learn College and hence Geno's brand of WBB. Each year he spends less and less time with his players to teach. As Juniors and Seniors they should know what is expected of them--and DO IT.

If you watched Dangerfield last summer in the USA games--you would think as I do--Crystal is a top flight point guard. Having said that--Obviously, she has a new system to learn and a different level of play is expected ---Uconn demands more than most want to give--but I'll put money on ; when she is a senior she will be favorably compared to Moriah. Out of last year's USA games I came away thinking Collier and Dangerfield were among the top 10-15 players in the country maybe he world (at that level).

As one of Canadian heritage I empathize with and for Nurse. She can and has handled the point for Geno, fact! She is a tough, intelligent (mostly), dedicated player. What concerns me is: She plays a bit out of control, has made more bad passes than I thought a player of her caliber should make (my beliefs, maybe not yours). She sometimes drives too fast and blow layups--but I'll take that over doing nothing. She will contribute in many many ways. Her defense is more than adequate--I dont know how she could improve except grow 12 more inches.

Uconn's style of "help" defense has a few holes--but few teams have exploited them. But to work really well it needs a Steff, Kiah, Stew to be the defense of the last resort--who fills that void??

For certain---the evaluation of players in terms of starting, coming off the bench, when they come off the bench and how long they play --is out of our hands now and next fall. But isn't it fun to theorize which sit, which play, which will be the next super starS??? I hope 1,2,3 of the incoming Freshmen are label --super stars--just a hope!!

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The numbers would disagree with you.
Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

Collier FR 38-9 653 17.2 106-199 .533 2-13 .154 44-48 .917 83 114 197 5.2 63 0 34 39 47 50 258 6.8

Gabby FR 38-0 591 15.6 137-215 .637 0-1 .000 42-91 .462 79 139 218 5.7 45 0 50 40 14 46 316 8.3

Some might argue that Gabby had the better Freshmen season number are close except for blocks and FT shooting percentage.
That is not what I am going by. Geno hardly played Gabby in the Final Four while Collier not only played but played well. Geno did not trust Gabby but trusted Collier. Gabby said she was nervous during the tournament and it showed. I believe Collier and Lou will be prepared to take a starters role next season over any freshman. Stats don't always tell a whole story.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Your presentation of Geno's words is accurate--he has said often, in the past, that he spends his time getting Freshmen to learn College and hence Geno's brand of WBB. Each year he spends less and less time with his players to teach. As Juniors and Seniors they should know what is expected of them--and DO IT.

If you watched Dangerfield last summer in the USA games--you would think as I do--Crystal is a top flight point guard. Having said that--Obviously, she has a new system to learn and a different level of play is expected ---Uconn demands more than most want to give--but I'll put money on ; when she is a senior she will be favorably compared to Moriah. Out of last year's USA games I came away think Collier and Dangerfield were among the top 10-15 players in the country maybe he world (at that level).

As one of Canadian heritage I empathize with and for Nurse. She can and has handled the point for Geno, fact! She is a tough, intelligent (mostly), dedicated player. What concerns me is: She plays a bit out of control, has made more bad passes than I thought a player of her caliber should make (my beliefs, maybe not yours). She sometimes drives too fast and blow layups--but I'll take that over doing nothing. She will contribute in many many ways. Her defense is more than adequate--I dont know how she could improve except grow 12 more inches.

Uconn's style of "help" defense has a few holes--but few teams have exploited them. But to work really well it needs a Steff, Kiah, Stew to be the defense of the last resort--who fills that void??

BroadwayVa - We're drinking out of the same glass of kool-aid (with 2 straws). I'm putting my bet on Dangerfield right next to yours. I think she's going to live up to all the hype. Nurse's defense is great. Nurse and Mo showed the ability to stay in front of their man better (and more consistently) than any of the other husky players. Also agree with your reference to help & paint defense. If the staff does not figure out a way to close those holes, it could mean a lot of close games next season.

Reaction Score
The numbers would disagree with you.
Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

Collier FR 38-9 653 17.2 106-199 .533 2-13 .154 44-48 .917 83 114 197 5.2 63 0 34 39 47 50 258 6.8

Gabby FR 38-0 591 15.6 137-215 .637 0-1 .000 42-91 .462 79 139 218 5.7 45 0 50 40 14 46 316 8.3

Some might argue that Gabby had the better Freshmen season number are close except for blocks and FT shooting percentage.
You know what I hate---a guy who is always RIGHT!! I don't hate anyone or anything--especially Cocohusky
We've disagreed but usually on a positive plane (but he wanted to be the pilot)..
At this point, since Geno showed how much he trusted these kids in the NCAA's --does it really matter?(seems I heard that somewhere else recently). Each provide Geno (and us) with a different approach to the game and each was really good in their own methodology!
To me this a fallacious argument--discussion. No insult to any one intended.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That is not what I am going by. Geno hardly played Gabby in the Final Four while Collier not only played but played well. Geno did not trust Gabby but trusted Collier. Gabby said she was nervous during the tournament and it showed. I believe Collier and Lou will be prepared to take a starters role next season over any freshman. Stats don't always tell a whole story.
I though you ment season when you wrote season. Not true that Geno does not trust Gabby. Gabby not playing more in her freshmen FF had to do with Kiah Stokes-ever herd of her? She was pretty good post player back in the day.

Reaction Score

The playing time between Collier and Gabby wasn't about who Geno TRUSTED--it was about what they brought to the game---that's what good coaches do--they use some players as Chest Pieces--hopefully never as pawns--he puts them in as needed and to present a different look to the opponents after they seemed to have figured out the other look. I don't have to tell you this but : Geno has in some circles been thought of as a pretty fair to average coach--one or two even think him adequate!! But he wouldn't know what he knows without reading MY BLOGS on the Boneyard!! Toot toot toot (that's my own horn)..

Reaction Score
No insult taken............significant to me regarding Chong would mean either starting or being the first guard off the bench.......it seems reasonable to me that she should easily average 10-12 points per game if she gets to play 20-25 minutes per game and is healthy.......Butler's playing time would depend on the scheme Geno has planned for a particular opponent but again I see no reason why she can't average 12-14 points per game and 8-10 rebounds per game if she sees the court for a good part of the game.....frankly I think I'm setting the bar pretty low..........both of theses players, if starting could have even better numbers

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No insult taken..significant to me regarding Chong would mean either starting or being the first guard off the bench..it seems reasonable to me that she should easily average 10-12 points per game if she gets to play 20-25 minutes per game and is healthy..Butler's playing time would depend on the scheme Geno has planned for a particular opponent but again I see no reason why she can't average 12-14 points per game and 8-10 rebounds per game if she sees the court for a good part of the game.....frankly I think I'm setting the bar pretty low.....both of theses players, if starting could have even better numbers
'
As far as Butler goes--no disconnect there. I agree, it depends on Geno's plan.
Chong--I could argue all month to no avail---I can say I hope you are right she will be first off the bench for 12 points in big games (most of the AAC games are gimme's with a couple of exceptions and her scoring and defense isn't a big issue until the OOC games) .

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
I though you ment season when you wrote season. Not true that Geno does not trust Gabby. Gabby not playing more in her freshmen FF had to do with Kiah Stokes-ever herd of her? She was pretty good post player back in the day.
Not true. Gabby got pulled when she missed a wide open layup in a close game. She did not play again at any meaningful time. That is all I will say to you on this subject.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
The playing time between Collier and Gabby wasn't about who Geno TRUSTED--it was about what they brought to the game---that's what good coaches do--they use some players as Chest Pieces--hopefully never as pawns--he puts them in as needed and to present a different look to the opponents after they seemed to have figured out the other look. I don't have to tell you this but : Geno has in some circles been thought of as a pretty fair to average coach--one or two even think him adequate!! But he wouldn't know what he knows without reading MY BLOGS on the Boneyard!! Toot toot toot (that's my own horn)..
Geno trusts the players who get the job done. Even the announcers said Geno could not trust Gabby with much playing time in last year's FF.

Reaction Score
Geno trusts the players who get the job done. Even the announcers said Geno could not trust Gabby with much playing time in last year's FF.

My -point exactly---in the NCAA's especially, rightly or wrongly, he trusts some and some he does not. This year he trusted Gabby AND Collier. There have been years and different players that Geno for what ever reason didn't trust that I thought he should--Moriah is one, so the Guards , prior to the NCAA's her Freshman season, went to Geno and said she's a good guard--TRUST her. He did and the rest is history--
I don't listen to the bubble heads --talking heads during games on TV--I like to know what's happening in the game so I turn down the volume, use captioning to read information and check out Gamechecker. So if there ever was any negatives about Gabby not being Trustworthy during her freshman year--I missed it. But I did note herein the Boneyard that she wasn't an asset against really bigs like Texas--but she got better.

Reaction Score
Ask Tennnesee, and South Carolina about their bigs Russell, Graves, Wilson, Coates, none of them could defend the shorter, quicker, G/F of Syracuse?
None of them were coached by Geno and CD either.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont see a freshman starting against Florida St at Fl St our first game and I dont see freshman starting against Baylor our second game. Baylor is tall and Butler will need to see alot of time in that game. So I see Butler getting alot of time early on. I think Nurse has to be the Floor General and maintain poise, confidence, and leadership. I think she will and her Olympic experience should play big. As far as the other starting guard. We will need ballhandlers. Fl St is not a push over and Baylor is top 4 in the preseason polls. We cant afford stupid mistakes in either game. Chong and Dangerfield will alternate and see alot of playtime. That competition will be good for both of them. If opponents press us who brings up the ball and how efficently can we break the press? Big question. I personally dont think anybody other then Nurse Chong and Dangerfield can break the press and perhaps Molly and I havent seen enough of her to make that call. Ive heard good things about her but this is college and big time college

Reaction Score
I dont see a freshman starting against Florida St at Fl St our first game and I dont see freshman starting against Baylor our second game. Baylor is tall and Butler will need to see alot of time in that game. So I see Butler getting alot of time early on. I think Nurse has to be the Floor General and maintain poise, confidence, and leadership. I think she will and her Olympic experience should play big. As far as the other starting guard. We will need ballhandlers. Fl St is not a push over and Baylor is top 4 in the preseason polls. We cant afford stupid mistakes in either game. Chong and Dangerfield will alternate and see alot of playtime. That competition will be good for both of them. If opponents press us who brings up the ball and how efficently can we break the press? Big question. I personally dont think anybody other then Nurse Chong and Dangerfield can break the press and perhaps Molly and I havent seen enough of her to make that call. Ive heard good things about her but this is college and big time college
I agree with your analysis. I think by necessity, the excellent but college-inexperienced ball-handler Dangerfield will see a lot of minutes in those high profile games. As the season progresses, she may be a starter.

Reaction Score
I posted above the way I think the players experience will go during the 2016-2017 season!
Obviously cancel out Ekmark on her transfer to ASU.
But I still, with 2 weeks to the start feel that's how It'll break down!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Butler, Samuelson, Collier, Nurse and Gabby. Irwin, Chong and Danger off the bench. As the season progresses Molly will find her way in with possibly Chong sitting more. Gabby will move up front when Collier and/or Katie Lou sits.

Reaction Score
Butler, Samuelson, Collier, Nurse and Gabby. Irwin, Chong and Danger off the bench. As the season progresses Molly will find her way in with possibly Chong sitting more. Gabby will move up front when Collier and/or Katie Lou sits.
Good post. In a sense, who starts 1st few games means very little. Geno has proven his ability to understand the best mix against the best teams and give playing time accordingly. Good discussion for half way through year.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Good post. In a sense, who starts 1st few games means very little. Geno has proven his ability to understand the best mix against the best teams and give playing time accordingly. Good discussion for half way through year.
I also think that by the time The UConn plays ND Ms. Danger will be the first guard off the bench. This young lady is seriously talented. She may start at The Dance.

Reaction Score
1.Danger
2. Nurse
3. KLS
4.Gabby
5.Collier

Dangerfield was the top guard in the country. If you want her ready by tournament time the sooner she plays the better. KLS is 6 ft 3. she will struggle guarding faster players at the 2 so she fits in better as a 3. This team looks small but Collier and KLS have height and Gabby plays like she is 6ft 3. Nurse rebounds well for a guard as well. Of course against bigger teams like South Carolina and Baylor Butler might be a better fit. But this team will get up and down the court and score lots of points in transition. Also be able to cause all kinds of turnovers and they will hold their own against most teams on the boards.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Last season, starters included Napheesa, Gabby, and Lou over different parts of the season. Even the prior year, Saniya and Kiah started early in the season but not afterward. That suggests that the starting lineup may change over the course of the year. Crystal is clearly someone who is more likely to start later in the season than early on. Geno likes to hold Gabby out, so she adds instant offense when she comes in. I don't think that the team has enough talent or depth to continue that. Gabby needs to start this season. I think Saniya may become the instant offense this year.

I think Kia and Lou are locks. They started last year. At least Lou started the last part of the season. I think Napheesa and Gabby start as well. They are too good not to. I'd rule out Tierney, Kyla, and Molly. That means the 5th starter is Natalie, Saniya, or Crystal. I think it will be Crystal, at least by February. My second choice is Natalie.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I predict that the starting 5 for this year will be: Kia; Gabby; Lou; Napheesa and Crystal, and I am sticking to it :). If Saniya has improved her defense and the IT band isn't an issue, she could start instead of Crystal.

Reaction Score
I predict that the starting 5 for this year will be: Kia; Gabby; Lou; Napheesa and Crystal, and I am sticking to it :). If Saniya has improved her defense and the IT band isn't an issue, she could start instead of Crystal.

So your sort of sticking to it?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman