UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are...... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There are a lot of questions marks going into next season. For me our freshman class sounds great but we haven't seen them at the college level. I think Dangerfield will see a lot of minutes as she looks like the future point guard but we still need to see how she develops with in Genos system. Irwin and Bent Ive haven't seen either. So until they being practice in the fall we wont know how they will fit in.

Next question is Chong and Butler. Is Chong better? Will she be able to start and be effective or is her leg still prohibiting her from starting? We will have to wait and see. If she is ready to play she has a very good outside shot which will take a lot of pressure off the middle and KLS. She is a terrific slasher and scorer and we need that. Butler if ready to start gives UConn so many options. She can score rebound and is the big presence underneath that will intimidate. Can she stay out of foul trouble? Can she get into position to block the middle? She is a good shooter, a good scorer and a good rebounder. With Butler on the floor it allows KLS to play up top like Stewie and cause shooters to rush shots. I really like having Chong and Butler on the floor because of their experience and what they bring but if theyre not healthy or ready Geno wont start them . I don't think he starts freshman either. Theyre not ready and they don't know the system well enough to play at a high level.

IMO none of the freshman start unless their are injuries. If Saniya is ready to go I think she starts if shes not healthy she doesn't start. We can play small against small teams but I don't think we will fair well against teams with big like ND and Baylor so imo we need Butler developed if we're going to challenge teams like Baylor and ND and if were going to challenge for a NC.

This is a very talented UConn team with a lot of question marks. Dangerfield when ready for the college level could be super and with Collier and Lou gives us 3 really good players. Another big plus would be Gabby gaining a 3 pt shot. If she does this will be a really really good team. However if Saniya doesn't play and Gabby doesn't have an 3 pt shot all we have is Lou from the outside and that could be a problem, especially if Butler doesn't start. In this scenario we have lack of 3 pt shooters and a lack of height.

As I said a lot of question marks and Im sure the coaching staff is working on that. We have a lot of underclassman this season that we are depending on. They still need development. They still need to identify their chemistry. Remember Stewie and Mojeff their first two seasons when neither had much consistency but what they did have is other players to pick them up experienced players to pick them up. This season we don't have that.

We can talk about all the scenarios we want but until the team beings practice we wont know anymore then we do now and all we have is speculation. With that said I will speculate and say Genos starters will come from last seasons roster and no freshman will start unless there are injuries.

Right now, I'd have to agree with you Tonyc. Barring injuries, I don't see any freshmen starting in November. That may change come March, but to begin the season, no. The tea leaves will be easy to read just before the beginning of conference play.

Reaction Score
to be clear ..... first game of the year it will Kia, Gabby,Phee and Lou . the fifth starter will change several times into the end of December and then Coach will settle with a fast four guard team and the 6 2 post: Kia, Crystal, Gaby, Lou and Kyla
returning starters: Kia, Lou
and the starter from the final four: Gabby

that leaves two spots with the candidates being Phee, Natalie, Saniya, Courtney, Molly, Kyla and Crystal. My bet is first game of the year it will be Phee, and Natalie or Saniya (do you go big, or go fast?)

This year the fifth starter was Lou .... for only one or two games then it was Phee and Gabby before it came back to Lou. It doesn't take a seer to expect the same thing happens again before Coach settles on a starting five. And just as in the 14-15 team coming off the Dolson years there will be a different look to the offensive and defensive strategies. And with that ooc schedule there will be losses to make him shake things up.

Add to that the fact this team will probably NOT have a senior in the starting five, and yes I think two freshmen will break into the starting lineup --- that is once they buy in just as it took a couple of months for Lou. It will be tough for any newcomer to break into the lineup in 17-18
with 5 returning starters. (Does anybody remember how many games Stewie started as a freshman? or who hit the bench when she did start?)

And I think Coach wants someone experienced and trustworthy first off the bench. This year that was Gabby, next year it will be Phee.

So yea I don't think it is going out on a limb to think it will be Kia, Crystal, Gabby, Lou and Kyla come December.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
No I'm not. The need for an "adequate" UCONN post player in the regular season is already established by the schedule which includes these teams with AA caliber post players: tOSU, South Carolina, Notre Dame & Maryland. The need for "adequate" post play in the NCAA tournament will be determined by seeding an other things but could also include a match up with Baylor. Regardless of opponent making KLS into a post player would be a mistake and "inadequate" for UCONN to get by any of these named opponents. The better options for UCONN to insure "adequate" post play includes (in priority order) ,an improved Natalie, Gabby, Kyla & Napheesa. Brown ,Turner, Coates, & Wilson could/would all mangle KLS in the post, while Gabby, Natalie & Kyla might survive long enough to give you a fighting chance, a mangled KLS is not going to be able to lead your team in scoring-you'll need that also.
Have you forgotten that Baylor is on next season's regular season schedule?

You appear to be saying that UConn will lose to all of [Baylor / Ohio State / South Carolina / Notre Dame / Maryland] unless Natalie improves a lot or Kyla turns out to be a super-frosh. The other two that you mentioned are Gabby and Napheesa, and I certainly expect them both to be in any starting lineup that UConn uses next year (along with Lou). So you are saying that Lou will be guarding opponents out at the 3-point line while Gabby and Napheesa deal by themselves with Brown / Coates / Turner et. al.? Is that a correct reading of your comment?

I can imagine that UConn might play a 2-3 or 3-2 zone against those kinds of opponents so that no one is individually stuck in the lion's den (i.e., the paint), but I would expect Lou to be on the back line of any such zone defense. If Geno does play man-to-man, Lou will guard a big player (maybe Wilson instead of Coates, or Mompremier instead of Brown) rather than a small guard. I think she could guard Turner as well or better than Napheesa or Gabby.

On offense, Lou will play all over the floor, both inside and outside, and will rely on getting free of her defender so that she doesn't have to post up anyone bigger than her.

Reaction Score

You appear to be saying that UConn will lose to all of [Baylor / Ohio State / South Carolina / Notre Dame / Maryland] unless Natalie improves a lot or Kyla turns out to be a super-frosh. The other two that you mentioned are Gabby and Napheesa, and I certainly expect them both to be in any starting lineup that UConn uses next year (along with Lou). So you are saying that Lou will be guarding opponents out at the 3-point line while Gabby and Napheesa deal by themselves with Brown / Coates / Turner et. al.? Is that a correct reading of your comment?

I can imagine that UConn might play a 2-3 or 3-2 zone against those kinds of opponents so that no one is individually stuck in the lion's den (i.e., the paint), but I would expect Lou to be on the back line of any such zone defense. If Geno does play man-to-man, Lou will guard a big player (maybe Wilson instead of Coates, or Mompremier instead of Brown) rather than a small guard. I think she could guard Turner as well or better than Napheesa or Gabby.

On offense, Lou will play all over the floor, both inside and outside, and will rely on getting free of her defender so that she doesn't have to post up anyone bigger than her.
go back and watch the Texas game .... you may be impressed how well Stewie and Lou worked underneath. Lou does not shy away from the physical play. She needs to improve her footwork, and she will be stronger. Stewie had a heck of time all the way into her Junior year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes I did forget.

You appear to be saying that UConn will lose to all of [Baylor / Ohio State / South Carolina / Notre Dame / Maryland] unless Natalie improves a lot or Kyla turns out to be a super-frosh.
No. I am saying that there will be a battle in the paint against those teams. If UCONN loses those paint battles it could be unfavorably decisive to the outcome of the game. I believe you have skew my stated priority of who is best equipped to handle the battle in the paint. My priority was an improved Natalie, Gabby Then Kyla.
The other two that you mentioned are Gabby and Napheesa, and I certainly expect them both to be in any starting lineup that UConn uses next year (along with Lou). So you are saying that Lou will be guarding opponents out at the 3-point line while Gabby and Napheesa deal by themselves with Brown / Coates / Turner et. al.? Is that a correct reading of your comment?
No. This is a slightly silly question though mainly because I familiar (as are you I'm sure) with this concept called help defense which might require KLS to be in the paint providing help defense instead of being a spectator at the three point line. Nice try though.

I can imagine that UConn might play a 2-3 or 3-2 zone against those kinds of opponents so that no one is individually stuck in the lion's den (i.e., the paint), but I would expect Lou to be on the back line of any such zone defense.
You don't have to imagine it, UCONN actually did play some 3 X 2 zone this year. KLS was never deployed on the backline of the UCONN zone. When KLS became a starter she was often used as the top of the diamond press.

If Geno does play man-to-man, Lou will guard a big player (maybe Wilson instead of Coates, or Mompremier instead of Brown) rather than a small guard. I think she could guard Turner as well or better than Napheesa or Gabby.
Geno is much too smart & this is a losing hand. In the South Carolina offense Coates & Wilson are deployed elbo and block exclusively. The Coates & Wilson alternate if KLS is guarding either she will spend 75 percent of her time in the paint. In the Baylor offensive Montpremier and Brown are deployed short corner, block or elbo exclusively. If KLS is guarding one of them she is in the paint or 1 step away 90% of her time on defense. Maryland deploys Jones high post to the block. Only ND deploys its post player higher than the fouline because she is often setting High ball screen. If you want to see why KLS and Napheesa are not equipped to be fulltime or moajority of time post defenders go back and watch the South Carolina game. The best SC player was Imobovich. It was remarkable how many times and how easily she at only 6"2" (maybe) outmaneuver both KLS and/or Napheesa in the paint for offensive and defensive rebounds . This is not a question of height much more strength and just the ability to hold your position.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
I don't care who they are... I will love them all equally :) and roses and sunshine and frolicking and so on and so forth...

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
returning starters: Kia, Lou
and the starter from the final four: Gabby

that leaves two spots with the candidates being Phee, Natalie, Saniya, Courtney, Molly, Kyla and Crystal. My bet is first game of the year it will be Phee, and Natalie or Saniya (do you go big, or go fast?)

This year the fifth starter was Lou .... for only one or two games then it was Phee and Gabby before it came back to Lou. It doesn't take a seer to expect the same thing happens again before Coach settles on a starting five. And just as in the 14-15 team coming off the Dolson years there will be a different look to the offensive and defensive strategies. And with that ooc schedule there will be losses to make him shake things up.

Add to that the fact this team will probably NOT have a senior in the starting five, and yes I think two freshmen will break into the starting lineup --- that is once they buy in just as it took a couple of months for Lou. It will be tough for any newcomer to break into the lineup in 17-18
with 5 returning starters. (Does anybody remember how many games Stewie started as a freshman? or who hit the bench when she did start?)

And I think Coach wants someone experienced and trustworthy first off the bench. This year that was Gabby, next year it will be Phee.

So yea I don't think it is going out on a limb to think it will be Kia, Crystal, Gabby, Lou and Kyla come December.
There is no way a freshman will start before Collier next season. No way if she is healthy.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I hope so. If there is significant improvement from Butler (say, Dolson-esque), then all bets are off (i.e. UConn could win their 12th).

I really don't care who starts, or who plays. I just want to see our team play well, and play together.

I want to continue to see basketball played the same way we've been watching it played the last 31 years.

If Geno pulls off winning his 12th next season (which no one is expecting him to do), He should be named "coach of the decade", and the annual trophy for best coach in Division 1 women's college basketball should be re-named: "The Geno Auriemma" trophy.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There is no way a freshman will start before Collier next season. No way if she is healthy.
Someone said the same thing about Gabby last year and it happened Except it was two freshmen (Collier & KLS) starting over Gabby. Never say never.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Someone said the same thing about Gabby last year and it happened Except it was two freshmen (Collier & KLS) starting over Gabby. Never say never.
Gabby did not have the kind of freshman season Collier had. By her play in the final four it could be seen that Collier had the UCONN system figured out a lot better than Gabby did her freshman season. Irwin will not start before Collier early on next year unless Collier has an injury, imo.

Reaction Score
KLS is a classic 3 or a point forward but what she is not and I don't see her becoming is a post. She happens to be 6'3 but that does not and will not make her to a post.
Anyhow, my starting 5 to start the season are:
PG Chong
SG Nurse
SF KLS
F Gabby
F Phee
Rotation Players: Butler, Crystal Dangerfield
Unless Bent and Irwin are a major surprise I don't see them getting significant minutes and while I like EK fight and basketball iq, I don't see her getting major minutes in big games.
It is possible that by the mid-season Butler (if she improved a lot from last season) will be part of the starting 5 (instead of Chong or Gabby) and/or that Crystal Dangerfield will become part of the stating 5 (if she out performs Chong).

I really have to disagree with your placement of the guards: If Chong starts with Nurse I think it much more likely that she will be the off guard and that Nurse will play the point. Other than that, I agree this it what the starting lineup could look like if Butler can't play significant minutes and we are forced to go small.

Reaction Score
Fortunately, Geno, CD, Shea, and Marisa run the team and not the Boneyard posters. Therefore, I have great hopes for next year !

I hear that BY is working on that!!!

Reaction Score
I don't care who they are... I will love them all equally :) and roses and sunshine and frolicking and so on and so forth...

I agree.................unless they lead the team in scoring, rebounding or assists...............then I love them even a little bit more..........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Gabby did not have the kind of freshman season Collier had. By her play in the final four it could be seen that Collier had the UCONN system figured out a lot better than Gabby did her freshman season. Irwin will not start before Collier early on next year unless Collier has an injury, imo.
The numbers would disagree with you.
Player GP-GS Min--Avg FG-FGA Pct 3FG-FGA Pct FT-FTA Pct Off Def Tot Avg PF FO A TO Blk Stl Pts Avg

Collier FR 38-9 653 17.2 106-199 .533 2-13 .154 44-48 .917 83 114 197 5.2 63 0 34 39 47 50 258 6.8

Gabby FR 38-0 591 15.6 137-215 .637 0-1 .000 42-91 .462 79 139 218 5.7 45 0 50 40 14 46 316 8.3

Some might argue that Gabby had the better Freshmen season number are close except for blocks and FT shooting percentage.

Reaction Score
This next year is going to be a lot of fun because of all the unknowns and the uncertainty of how it all ends (unlike this year and last and the year before that when we all kind of had an idea of how it would end).
You are so correct, with the key word being "fun." Those of us who are ardent fans of this program are so ridiculously spoiled by success that many of us find it hard to eagerly anticipate a season in which so many uncertainties lie. But such a season can, in many ways, be more fun than one in which your team is so heavily favored that any potential loss represents some epic and titanic fall from grace. Yes, it will be a reloading-type season, but for a team that still boasts plenty of talent, sufficient talent to truly showcase the coaching staff's abilities, and sufficient talent to pull off some major surprises, especially late in the year. No, I'm not expecting another championship in 2017, but I do anticipate a highly enjoyable year that will utterly dash the wishful thinking of many fans of other programs who think (hope) that the UConn glory days have come to an abrupt end. So the team endures a loss or two (or three) along that path of uncertainty? Big deal! Even we can survive such a contingency...I promise!

Reaction Score
Coco, you got he ball rolling on a topic that we'll be debating all summer until that first (non-exhibition) game in November. One glaring omission from the line-up is Saniya Chong. She has many supporters here in the yard, many of whom will give you chapter and verse why she should start. Let the debate begin.

NOTE: This is a milestone post for me. Its my 1,000 th post. :)
Coco's 5 , at this point in the season without seeing the new guys, is exactly as I would expect.
Chong--a nice kid, if she could present her talent as that which Geno recruited she would be one of the starting guards. She has yet to show the 3000 point (I think) shooter she was or that she can defend. Her NCAA opportunities displayed much less than I would have expected from a NEAR senior.
Ekmark is another Question--her BB IQ in HS was supposed to be very high along with her consistent 3 ball shooting--albeit she was injured--she has yet to show any of it. I scream at the TV every time she entered the game to shoot the 3--if she made two or three consistently Geno would have taken note--but she didn't.
Lawlor--showed some guts and hit a few 3s and played her limited number of minutes with zest and gusto--
Butler, has taken some hits from fans I guess they expected Steff in a Natalie skin. Her foot work will improve, her defense will improve, her shooting will improve, but her lateral speed and jumping I fear is what it is--but the rest is pretty darn good. No Steff, no stew or Tuck--but who is??]
Who keeps track of posting???? Carnac

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You are so correct, with the key word being "fun." Those of us who are ardent fans of this program are so ridiculously spoiled by success that many of us find it hard to eagerly anticipate a season in which so many uncertainties lie. But such a season can, in many ways, be more fun than one in which your team is so heavily favored that any potential loss represents some epic and titanic fall from grace. Yes, it will be a reloading-type season, but for a team that still boasts plenty of talent, sufficient talent to truly showcase the coaching staff's abilities, and sufficient talent to pull off some major surprises, especially late in the year. No, I'm not expecting another championship in 2017, but I do anticipate a highly enjoyable year that will utterly dash the wishful thinking of many fans of other programs who think (hope) that the UConn glory days have come to an abrupt end. So the team endures a loss or two (or three) along that path of uncertainty? Big deal! Even we can survive such a contingency...I promise!
I keep hearing and reading that UConn WBB fans are spoiled--maybe so for some. But many of us have been with Uconn Women and Geno for 20 years or more. We've ridden the highs of superior basketball and the depths of average basketball.
Some of us have even acknowledged that many of the 343 WBB teams in the NCAA would love to have 20 wins a year --their coaches would probably be arrested for bribing if they won 30 per year. We know that 30 wins is excessive, way too many final 4's is almost gluttonous, 11 championship is approaching the ridiculous--but true blue and white (with a trace of red) fans will be with this team come what may--and may is usually great..

Reaction Score
NEVER! There I said it!
Irwin may sub for Collier, if she is as good as they say, but Collier is a significant talent. We saw just the tip of her talent in 2016.
But your point is well taken--from this long distant seat from November--who knows what will be then. Never--there I said it again..
Last year Geno had options in December that he didn't have in October with Collier and Katie lou--options change the game plan.

Reaction Score
I hear that BY is working on that!!!
I saw that injunction!! When enacted, and a supreme court justice agrees, Geno will be required to poll the Boneyard for all recruiting decisions.
Shea and Marissa will only be allowed to instruct the team in specific Boneyard methods.
The courts have found that there is little or nothing that can be done to change what Christine Dailey has been doing for 30 or more year---and they refuse to try!! So if you like tat's you are out of luck!!

Reaction Score
I have posted before that I really believe that Chong, Butler and Ekmark are going to reach back into their recent past and during this off season work their tails off to bring back the PLAYER within! They have been considered by many to be very good WBB players, Chong & Ekmark in HS and Butler at Georgetown, so if they stay injury free we will see a rejuvenated 3 players capable of putting the Huskies on their shoulders and scoring and defending as we have hoped for.
That being said, my starting lineup for beginning the 2016-2017 season is as follows:

PG Saniya Chong
SG Kia Nurse
PF Naphessa Collier
SF KLS
C Natalie Butler
SF Gabby Williams- - - Geno has loved a player coming off the bench to add some zip to the action, Gabby is that player.

In mid to late January:
PG rotating Chong, Nurse, & Crystal Dangerfield, Bent
SG Nurse, KLS, Ekmark,
SF KLS, Gabby, Ekmark,
PF Collier, KLS, Irwin,
C Butler, Irwin

For AAC and NCAA Tournaments: Where Geno has traditionally shortened his bench: to 8 players
PG Crystal Dangerfield/ Saniya/Nurse
SG Nurse/KLS/Saniya
SG/SF KLS/
SF Gabby/Collier
PF/C Collier/Butler/Irwin

Reaction Score
I have posted before that I really believe that Chong, Butler and Ekmark are going to reach back into their recent past and during this off season work their tails off to bring back the PLAYER within! They have been considered by many to be very good WBB players, Chong & Ekmark in HS and Butler at Georgetown, so if they stay injury free we will see a rejuvenated 3 players capable of putting the Huskies on their shoulders and scoring and defending as we have hoped for.
That being said, my starting lineup for beginning the 2016-2017 season is as follows:

PG Saniya Chong
SG Kia Nurse
PF Naphessa Collier
SF KLS
C Natalie Butler
SF Gabby Williams- - - Geno has loved a player coming off the bench to add some zip to the action, Gabby is that player.

In mid to late January:
PG rotating Chong, Nurse, & Crystal Dangerfield, Bent
SG Nurse, KLS, Ekmark,
SF KLS, Gabby, Ekmark,
PF Collier, KLS, Irwin,
C Butler, Irwin

For AAC and NCAA Tournaments: Where Geno has traditionally shortened his bench: to 8 players
PG Crystal Dangerfield/ Saniya/Nurse
SG Nurse/KLS/Saniya
SG/SF KLS/
SF Gabby/Collier
PF/C Collier/Butler/Irwin
Thank you for your positive approach to Chong,Ekmark and the New guys. I sincerely, dearly, openly, hope your assessment of Chong and Ekmark are spot on.
Chong and Ekmark have worked through injuries and some of it has effected their abilities to play. Having said that--I saw no level of improvement over this past season that indicated either will be considered for a starting position or even a sub in a tight game. In many games this year they only entered the game 2 minutes before the walk-on's. I would love for you or any one to show me how terribly WRONG I am. If Uconn WBB wins -I win.
You, in my opinion, are spot on with your assessment of Butler.

Reaction Score
Thank you for your positive approach to Chong,Ekmark and the New guys. I sincerely, dearly, openly, hope your assessment of Chong and Ekmark are spot on.
Chong and Ekmark have worked through injuries and some of it has effected their abilities to play. Having said that--I saw no level of improvement over this past season that indicated either will be considered for a starting position or even a sub in a tight game. In many games this year they only entered the game 2 minutes before the walk-on's. I would love for you or any one to show me how terribly WRONG I am. If Uconn WBB wins -I win.
You, in my opinion, are spot on with your assessment of Butler.

Some players just need to play consistent minutes to get their games back......I think Chong if healthy is capable of making a significant offensive contribution to the team.................same for Butler but at both ends of the court........................however they better show something positive early on or could be relegated to bench duty by Captain Hook.......................

Carnac

Reaction Score
Chong and Ekmark have worked through injuries and some of it has effected their abilities to play. Having said that--I saw no level of improvement over this past season that indicated either will be considered for a starting position or even a sub in a tight game. In many games this year they only entered the game 2 minutes before the walk-on's. I would love for you or any one to show me how terribly WRONG I am. If Uconn WBB wins -I win. You, in my opinion, are spot on with your assessment of Butler.

BroadwayVa - I don't see any "likes" on this particular post so far. However, there is no doubt that many yarders agree with you 100%.

Reaction Score
Ahh, let's keep politics out of this discussion of whether size matters.

I don't think anyone is arguing that it wouldn't be desirable (all else being equal) to have a fast, agile center who is 6-4 or 6-5. However, looking at UConn's roster for next year, I'm failing to see Brittney Griner, Tina Charles, Candace Parker, or Breanna Stewart. I don't even see Stef Dolson, Kiah Stokes, or Azura Stevens.

So the question becomes (since all else isn't equal) whether it is a smart move to have a "sizeable human being" on the floor even if she can't run or jump well enough to keep up with the other four players, seems foul-prone, and forces the team to play a zone defense to minimize the impact of her immobility -- just for the sake of size. Or is it a better move (recognizing plusses and minuses) to give up some size to have five mobile players who may get a few less rebounds and blocks, but can run circles around teams that are relying on one or two Alaina Coates / Courtney Paris / Danielle Adams / Mercedes Russell types to give them an inside presence?

Will that be a problem when UConn has to play against Turner, Wilson, or Mompremier (or maybe Joyner Holmes) who have the complete package of size, skill, and speed? Yes, UConn will be at a disadvantage in the paint against players like that. They may lose a game or two because of it. Will it mean that games against teams with such players are out of reach? Not at all. They will be competitive games, and UConn (like Georgetown in 2011 or USF in 2016) may be able to get some unexpected wins because of its skill at other positions.

In the WNBA, Phoenix for a few years had a team without a center who was either big or fast. But they won WNBA championships because they had Diana Taurasi, Cappie Pondexter, and Penny Taylor. I remember a game when Mike Thibault was the Sun coach, and he had 7-2 Margo Dydek as his regular center. Margo played most of the games despite having near zero mobility, and (in the days before the defensive 3-second rule) she could stand under the basket with her arms extended and stop any layup attempt. But against Phoenix, Thibault didn't put her in the game for even a single minute. He used his own faster, smaller players, and beat Phoenix that way. That (and the Georgetown game where Stef was basically a useless statue) left me with an indelible impression that an immobile big player not only does not help, but can actually hurt, when you are playing against a small and fast team with skill in every position.
Ask Tennnesee, and South Carolina about their bigs Russell, Graves, Wilson, Coates, none of them could defend the shorter, quicker, G/F of Syracuse?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom