UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are...... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Some think that; some think she starts the season as the 2 guard, with Kia playing point. Then Crystal works her way in and things shift around. Of course, that keeps Saniya on the bench, and she certainly has her fans. I guess it comes down to how well Lou can help Kia break a potential press in the very hard early season.

And not only does Geno refer to Lou as a guard; she is called a guard/forward on the UConn website.

I think some of you think Napheesa is better coming off the bench, and that as this thing shifts around she will be the first in. Maybe, but I'm (maybe too) optimistic she comes back awesome and unstoppable, and unbenchable.
My point was supposed to be that when there are already two guards on the floor, she's playing as a forward.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If that is a straight-forward question, I'll give what I think is as straight an answer as I can give you, given the person in question.

Me thinks Tommy on UConn Bball is Saniya Chong, but the Tommy being cross-referenced is none other than
Tommy Chong, of "Cheech and Chong," who just passed away in December. If we've forgotten the man and/or his act, here are some highlights from their "Up in Smoke" feature, which followed "Reefer Madness"in a double bill at the Engineering Auditorium at Notre Dame in winter of 1974 (I think :) )

BTW, I agree with your initial starting lineup and also agree with the point that Butler's biggest challenge will be to stay out of foul trouble, an issue we have with Coco Nelson when she comes into spell Brianna Turner.

A couple of things, 1) Tommy's not dead. 2) nice of people to remember this duo on 4/20. :cool:

Reaction Score
KLS is a classic 3 or a point forward but what she is not and I don't see her becoming is a post. She happens to be 6'3 but that does not and will not make her to a post.
Anyhow, my starting 5 to start the season are:
PG Chong
SG Nurse
SF KLS
F Gabby
F Phee
Rotation Players: Butler, Crystal Dangerfield
Unless Bent and Irwin are a major surprise I don't see them getting significant minutes and while I like EK fight and basketball iq, I don't see her getting major minutes in big games.
It is possible that by the mid-season Butler (if she improved a lot from last season) will be part of the starting 5 (instead of Chong or Gabby) and/or that Crystal Dangerfield will become part of the stating 5 (if she out performs Chong).

Reaction Score
KLS is a classic 3 or a point forward but what she is not and I don't see her becoming is a post. She happens to be 6'3 but that does not and will not make her to a post.
PG Chong
SG Nurse
SF KLS
F Gabby
F Phee
Unless Bent and Irwin are a major surprise I don't see them getting significant minutes and while I like EK fight and basketball iq, I don't see her getting major minutes in big games.
It is possible that by the mid-season Butler (if she improved a lot from last season) will be part of the starting 5 (instead of Chong or Gabby) and/or that Crystal Dangerfield will become part of the stating 5 (if she out performs Chong).

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
What I'm hoping is that next fall in practice, that Natalie Butler is playing well enough that Geno will be forced to put her in the Starting Lineup. Would like to see Natalie play like Stef Dolson did at the end of her Sophomore year. If that happens the rest of the starters will fall into place and UConn may surprise many other teams fans/experts on how good they'll be.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
PG Chong
SG Nurse
SF KLS
F Gabby
F Phee
I am actually glad you double posted because these part of your message have not been sinking in too well around here:
  • KLS is a classic 3 or a point forward but what she is not and I don't see her becoming is a post.
  • She (KLS) happens to be 6'3 but that does not and will not make her to a post.

Reaction Score
This next year is going to be a lot of fun because of all the unknowns and the uncertainty of how it all ends (unlike this year and last and the year before that when we all kind of had an idea of how it would end). I know its stupid early, but next year, the team only loses Chong. The following year, UConn will again be picked to go number 1, wire to wire (injuries excepted). If Geno and company can make it happen this year next year coming up, the program is in for a really long stretch of championships (beyond the really long stretch going on right now).

Reaction Score
Coco...thanks for posting this as it is most helpful in thinking through the issues for next year. First, I think this team will be surprisingly good next year. The four locks to start are KLS, NC, Gabby and Kia. They are likely to be in the discussion of the top 4 starters on any team. The other three candidates are Saniya, Butler and Crystal Dangerfield. Candidly, I have no opinion on which of the three starts at the beginning of next year and I'm not sure it makes a difference as they all should see 20+ minutes a game. Crystal Dangerfield's playing time probably increases as the year goes on at the expense of Saniya and I wouldn't be surprised to see her start by season end. . Butlers playing time will grow next year for two reasons. First, other than Butler, Gabby and NC were the two most foul prone per 40 on the team. Given how thin we are up front( i see KLS as an average rebounder and not in the 4 or 5)) we will need quality and quality minutes from the three. Gabby and NC were two of our top rebounders per 40 last year but not sure that will be enough against some of the larger teams. I do believe that for UCONN to go deep in the NCAA's then Butler will have to show materially and consistently more than she showed us this year and will be rewarded with minutes if she does so.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
A couple of things, 1) Tommy's not dead. 2) nice of people to remember this duo on 4/20. :cool:
I stand pleasantly corrected (yay, Tommy) and will say a few mea culpas to Sister Mary Elephant.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I agree completely that this is the team that tips off the first game. I think the first person in may be Kyla (for Natalie). I see you're making Napheesa 6th man after Crystal works her way in, CocoHusky. I think that depends on Natalie/Kyla underneath; otherwise, we've very short on the boards.

Most all of us understand that Natalie IS the unknown factor here. Is she can be 75% of Stef, we're okay. Otherwise....

Excerpt from a news media article on Kayla Irwin: Kyla Irwin won MVP of the Altoona Mirror Basketball Classic last Friday (4/1), one of two postseason all-star games she will participate in.
She had 27 points, 17 rebounds, and 6 blocks.

I'm wondering if Irwin could be the dark horse next year for the Huskies. Can she bring with her that level of dominance and those numbers to the college level? The spot light is not on her, She will not report to campus with a lot of fanfare or expectations. She comes in under the radar. Is it possible that she can come in an impress so much that SHE could make an impact (extensive playing time) on next year's team?

Several posters that have seen her in person say that we'll be happy with her. Could she be that "ace up the sleeve" that Geno has that we don't know about? Its way too early for him to say publicly anything about her or any of the freshmen at this time. He may make a statement about the freshmen a day or two before the first exhibition game in November. I don't think we'll hear anything before then. They've got to participate in at least 3 weeks of official practices before any type of realistic evaluation can be made.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am actually glad you double posted because these part of your message have not been sinking in too well around here:
  • KLS is a classic 3 or a point forward but what she is not and I don't see her becoming is a post.
  • She (KLS) happens to be 6'3 but that does not and will not make her to a post.
Even if both of these points are true, these issues remain:
  1. What is the alternative? Is Natalie the alternative? Is that a preferable alternative?
  2. Is a "classic post" needed for UConn to be successful (i.e., reach the Final Four)? If you say yes, are you consigning UConn to an early exit (for them) from the tournament in 2017?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Excerpt from a news media article on Kayla Irwin: Kyla Irwin won MVP of the Altoona Mirror Basketball Classic last Friday (4/1), one of two postseason all-star games she will participate in.
She had 27 points, 17 rebounds, and 6 blocks.

I'm wondering if Irwin could be the dark horse next year for the Huskies. Can she bring with her that level of dominance and those numbers to the college level? The spot light is not on her, She will not report to campus with a lot of fanfare or expectations. She comes in under the radar. Is it possible that she can come in an impress so much that SHE could make an impact (extensive playing time) on next year's team?

Several posters that have seen her in person say that we'll be happy with her. Could she be that "ace up the sleeve" that Geno has that we don't know about? Its way too early for him to say publicly anything about her or any of the freshmen at this time. He may make a statement about the freshmen a day or two before the first exhibition game in November. I don't think we'll hear anything before then. They've got to participate in at least 3 weeks of official practices before any type of realistic evaluation can be made.
Name the last UCONN player to come into Storrs "under the radar or without fanfare". UCONN WBB is a permanent spotlight even if they were not coming off 4 consecutive NCs or if Irwin were a walk on, the glare would still be the same. I am betting Kyla will excel under the spotlight.

Reaction Score
The 16-17 will have a character all its own. Will it be a four guard or maybe even a five guard offense? Will Phee or Gabby play post or wing? or a combination of both? Will Gabby extend her range? Will Phee improve her strength? Phe and Gabby were strong on the offensive boards, and on the weak side of defensive boards? Will coach go with a fast offense, or a strong post?

We won't really know what he settles on until the end of December.....

and then I think Coach will settle on Kia, Gabby, Lou, Crystal, Kyla with Phee first off the bench.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The 16-17 will have a character all its own. Will it be a four guard or maybe even a five guard offense? Will Phee or Gabby play post or wing? or a combination of both? Will Gabby extend her range? Will Phee improve her strength? Phe and Gabby were strong on the offensive boards, and on the weak side of defensive boards? Will coach go with a fast offense, or a strong post?

We won't really know what he settles on until the end of December.....

and then I think Coach will settle on Kia, Gabby, Lou, Crystal, Kyla with Phee first off the bench.
To be clear, you are predicting 2 Freshmen starters-Kyla & Crystal?

Reaction Score
To be clear, you are predicting 2 Freshmen starters-Kyla & Crystal?
to be clear ..... first game of the year it will Kia, Gabby,Phee and Lou ...... the fifth starter will change several times into the end of December and then Coach will settle with a fast four guard team and the 6 2 post: Kia, Crystal, Gaby, Lou and Kyla

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Even if both of these points are true, these issues remain:
  1. What is the alternative? Is Natalie the alternative? Is that a preferable alternative?
  2. Is a "classic post" needed for UConn to be successful (i.e., reach the Final Four)? If you say yes, are you consigning UConn to an early exit (for them) from the tournament in 2017?
No I'm not. The need for an "adequate" UCONN post player in the regular season is already established by the schedule which includes these teams with AA caliber post players: tOSU, South Carolina, Notre Dame & Maryland. The need for "adequate" post play in the NCAA tournament will be determined by seeding an other things but could also include a match up with Baylor. Regardless of opponent making KLS into a post player would be a mistake and "inadequate" for UCONN to get by any of these named opponents. The better options for UCONN to insure "adequate" post play includes (in priority order) ,an improved Natalie, Gabby, Kyla & Napheesa. Brown ,Turner, Coates, & Wilson could/would all mangle KLS in the post, while Gabby, Natalie & Kyla might survive long enough to give you a fighting chance, a mangled KLS is not going to be able to lead your team in scoring-you'll need that also.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
to be clear ..... first game of the year it will Kia, Gabby,Phee and Lou . the fifth starter will change several times into the end of December and then Coach will settle with a fast four guard team and the 6 2 post: Kia, Crystal, Gaby, Lou and Kyla
Still confusing. You said; "first game of the year it will Kia, Gabby,Phee and Lou" That is only 4 starters- Not even Geno is that cocky?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
to be clear ..... first game of the year it will Kia, Gabby,Phee and Lou . the fifth starter will change several times into the end of December and then Coach will settle with a fast four guard team and the 6 2 post: Kia, Crystal, Gaby, Lou and Kyla

Cajun, Are you trying to work my side of the street? I thought I was the only soothsayer here in the yard. I've packed up all of my working gear for the summer, as the season is over. Even I can't see that far into the future. If you're right, I'll send the turban, cape, box of tea leaves, Super 8 ball, tarot cards etc. to you. If you're going to be our official prognosticator, you might as well look the part. You're stepping way out on a shaky branch there.

If you are correct, I'll have to bow out, and find a new handle. You'll be the new official "seer" of the yard. We won't rush into anything just yet. I'll wait until the end of the year as you predicted. There's only room for one official visionary here in the yard. Right now, that's me. :p

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are a lot of questions marks going into next season. For me our freshman class sounds great but we haven't seen them at the college level. I think Dangerfield will see a lot of minutes as she looks like the future point guard but we still need to see how she develops with in Genos system. Irwin and Bent Ive haven't seen either. So until they being practice in the fall we wont know how they will fit in.

Next question is Chong and Butler. Is Chong better? Will she be able to start and be effective or is her leg still prohibiting her from starting? We will have to wait and see. If she is ready to play she has a very good outside shot which will take a lot of pressure off the middle and KLS. She is a terrific slasher and scorer and we need that. Butler if ready to start gives UConn so many options. She can score rebound and is the big presence underneath that will intimidate. Can she stay out of foul trouble? Can she get into position to block the middle? She is a good shooter, a good scorer and a good rebounder. With Butler on the floor it allows KLS to play up top like Stewie and cause shooters to rush shots. I really like having Chong and Butler on the floor because of their experience and what they bring but if theyre not healthy or ready Geno wont start them . I don't think he starts freshman either. Theyre not ready and they don't know the system well enough to play at a high level.

IMO none of the freshman start unless their are injuries. If Saniya is ready to go I think she starts if shes not healthy she doesn't start. We can play small against small teams but I don't think we will fair well against teams with big like ND and Baylor so imo we need Butler developed if we're going to challenge teams like Baylor and ND and if were going to challenge for a NC.

This is a very talented UConn team with a lot of question marks. Dangerfield when ready for the college level could be super and with Collier and Lou gives us 3 really good players. Another big plus would be Gabby gaining a 3 pt shot. If she does this will be a really really good team. However if Saniya doesn't play and Gabby doesn't have an 3 pt shot all we have is Lou from the outside and that could be a problem, especially if Butler doesn't start. In this scenario we have lack of 3 pt shooters and a lack of height.

As I said a lot of question marks and Im sure the coaching staff is working on that. We have a lot of underclassman this season that we are depending on. They still need development. They still need to identify their chemistry. Remember Stewie and Mojeff their first two seasons when neither had much consistency but what they did have is other players to pick them up experienced players to pick them up. This season we don't have that.

We can talk about all the scenarios we want but until the team beings practice we wont know anymore then we do now and all we have is speculation. With that said I will speculate and say Genos starters will come from last seasons roster and no freshman will start unless there are injuries.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
There are a lot of questions marks going into next season. For me our freshman class sounds great but we haven't seen them at the college level. I think Dangerfield will see a lot of minutes as she looks like the future point guard but we still need to see how she develops with in Genos system. Irwin and Bent Ive haven't seen either. So until they being practice in the fall we wont know how they will fit in.

Next question is Chong and Butler. Is Chong better? Will she be able to start and be effective or is her leg still prohibiting her from starting? We will have to wait and see. If she is ready to play she has a very good outside shot which will take a lot of pressure off the middle and KLS. She is a terrific slasher and scorer and we need that. Butler if ready to start gives UConn so many options. She can score rebound and is the big presence underneath that will intimidate. Can she stay out of foul trouble? Can she get into position to block the middle? She is a good shooter, a good scorer and a good rebounder. With Butler on the floor it allows KLS to play up top like Stewie and cause shooters to rush shots. I really like having Chong and Butler on the floor because of their experience and what they bring but if theyre not healthy or ready Geno wont start them . I don't think he starts freshman either. Theyre not ready and they don't know the system well enough to play at a high level.

IMO none of the freshman start unless their are injuries. If Saniya is ready to go I think she starts if shes not healthy she doesn't start. We can play small against small teams but I don't think we will fair well against teams with big like ND and Baylor so imo we need Butler developed if we're going to challenge teams like Baylor and ND and if were going to challenge for a NC.

This is a very talented UConn team with a lot of question marks. Dangerfield when ready for the college level could be super and with Collier and Lou gives us 3 really good players. Another big plus would be Gabby gaining a 3 pt shot. If she does this will be a really really good team. However if Saniya doesn't play and Gabby doesn't have an 3 pt shot all we have is Lou from the outside and that could be a problem, especially if Butler doesn't start. In this scenario we have lack of 3 pt shooters and a lack of height.

As I said a lot of question marks and Im sure the coaching staff is working on that. We have a lot of underclassman this season that we are depending on. They still need development. They still need to identify their chemistry. Remember Stewie and Mojeff their first two seasons when neither had much consistency but what they did have is other players to pick them up experienced players to pick them up. This season we don't have that.

We can talk about all the scenarios we want but until the team beings practice we wont know anymore then we do now and all we have is speculation. With that said I will speculate and say Genos starters will come from last seasons roster and no freshman will start unless there are injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom