UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are...... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UCONN Starters for 2016-17 Season are......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Why are you labeling KLS as guard when there's two guards already? She would be a forward in this scenario, no?
Some think that; some think she starts the season as the 2 guard, with Kia playing point. Then Crystal works her way in and things shift around. Of course, that keeps Saniya on the bench, and she certainly has her fans. I guess it comes down to how well Lou can help Kia break a potential press in the very hard early season.

And not only does Geno refer to Lou as a guard; she is called a guard/forward on the UConn website.

I think some of you think Napheesa is better coming off the bench, and that as this thing shifts around she will be the first in. Maybe, but I'm (maybe too) optimistic she comes back awesome and unstoppable, and unbenchable.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I was at that game in Philly. Dolson was a young pup and got schooled accordingly.
I was at that game- and those slashers were killing us. I think it was Shea's idea to make that substitution- it was not Geno's. A minute longer and we may not win that game. We were going down in that game- no qst about it,

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
November
Nurse, Chong, KLS, Gabby, Butler
w/ Collier & CD
Vowel guy- did you start martinis early today??? You lucky dog! If you think Napheesa Collier won't start and play a minimum of 38-40 minutes per game, like Nurse, Gabby and KLS - you've lost it!!!! There isn't even a qst as to the starting 4 of the 5- there is one spot left. And I think by Feb it will be CD. She has to mature quickly for us to have a shot the following season!!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Well, of course, it all depends on: (a) injuries; (b) what the freshmen show in practice; (c) what the veterans show in practice.

But my guess with all of those caveats is that Natalie will NOT start, and that one of the triumvirate of [Saniya / Crystal / Molly] will. Most likely that would be Saniya. In other words, Geno will decide to go smaller and faster, somewhat like the Georgetown team of a few years ago that made it to the Sweet 16 (where they lost a very close game to UConn who had Stef and Maya). That Georgetown team didn't have a player over 6-0, but Geno only won the game when he took Stef out and put in Lorin Dixon to have a team that could match Georgetown's pace.

And yes, that does mean that Lou and Napheesa would be playing in the paint on defense next year.

In the year just ended, South Florida had quite a successful season without any post player nearly as effective as either Lou or Napheesa would be in that role.
Ditto to Joe's post! I hope Saniya and Butler can become integral- I really do. My feeling is CD will start by Feb- for our Tmt run!

Reaction Score
Vowel guy- did you start martinis early today??? You lucky dog! If you think Napheesa Collier won't start and play a minimum of 38-40 minutes per game, like Nurse, Gabby and KLS - you've lost it!!!! There isn't even a qst as to the starting 4 of the 5- there is one spot left. And I think by Feb it will be CD. She has to mature quickly for us to have a shot the following season!!!!
I got a lot of grief for saying this last month, but what the heck, any excuse for a martini:
Barring injury, Napheesa will start every game for the next 3 years.

Reaction Score

Collier may be my favorite player on the team so there's no disrespect in my statement. Nor is starting perfectly correlated with playing time.
Was just a guess, and wanted to go slightly against the grain.
My thought was that Geno might want to try Butler in a Dolson-type role. If that works, then he can bring Pheesa off the bench for a burst of energy.

Collier will get her minutes either way.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
I got a lot of grief for saying this last month, but what the heck, any excuse for a martini:
Barring injury, Napheesa will start every game for the next 3 years.
Not sure how anyone could not see the talent, instinct, determination and athleticism in that young lady. She is prolific! Next year she'll be stronger and with even more confidence!!!! Boom chuka Lukah!!!!

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
Collier may be my favorite player on the team so there's no disrespect in my statement. Nor is starting perfectly correlated with playing time.
Was just a guess, and wanted to go slightly against the grain.
My thought was that Geno might want to try Butler in a Dolson-type role. If that works, then he can bring Pheesa off the bench for a burst of energy.

Collier will get her minutes either way.
You may be right. And I know Geno likes a burst off the bench. But these are desperate times- which call for desperate measures. He'll have to play his best athletes and we don't have the luxury of having a Gabby or Napheesa off the bench next year. So to your point- Butler or Saniya prob start the season- with Danger being the spark off the bench. :) it's going to be a hoot! Actually Martinis may be just the thing before many of our games next year!!!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's April. First real game is 190+ days away. At summer gets underway, I can with confidence name five people who don't yet know who will be on the court for that very first game tip-off: Geno, CD, Marisa, Shea, and Kibitzer.;)

Reaction Score
[QUOT
E="nd2tty, post: 1670909, member: 6035"]Assuming Geno goes with 3 guards, which he likes to do:

PG Crystal Dangerfield
G Kia Nurse
G Katie Lou Samuelson
F Gabby Williams
F Napheesa Collier

First off bench: Natalie Butler
Major minutes: Saniya Chong, Kyla Irwin

I like your end of the year team unless they are playing against big front courts like Baylor and SC. Frankly I'm not sure how well Kia as the point guard will work out.....same goes fore Saniya..........really hoping Crystal makes an early breakthrough..........

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Who starts Nov 1 versus who starts in March is 2 different questions. What I am more interested in is who is in at the end of the game. That is crunch time for all teams except our team the last 2 years. Butler will play if she can defend well, rebound and move the ball on offense or finish consistently. Otherwise, it will be KLS, Nurse, Collier, Gabby and Saniya / Dangerfield

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Now that tax day has come and gone, we can officially start the debate regarding next Season's Starters.
The usual caveats apply such as baring injury and to be clear we are talking about the 1st regular season game only.
Starters:
G Kia Nurse
G Katie Lou Samuelson
F Napheesa Collier
F Gabby Williams
C Natalie Butler
Looks about right, with Gabby and KLS doing the occassional flip clop.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
That's my starting lineup too. Except for the dilemma of when/if Dangerfield can no longer be kept on the bench, who does she replace in the starting lineup?
If it's Butler, then you have to change the whole offense. I don't see her replacing any of the others. If freshman Dangerfield is strictly a sub at PG, then I don't see Nurse ever sitting long enough for her to get many minutes. I guess subbing for both Nurse at PG and KLS (with Nurse sliding over to the 2) could give her a few minutes at PG. There are no seniors in this scheme, so same issue the following year. So maybe Butler never starts?

An interesting observation Kicker. It does provide some food for thought. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
November
Nurse, Chong, KLS, Gabby, Butler
w/ Collier & CD
Wait a sec...CD has eligibility left?!?!?

We'll need to figure out something better than that. We just got over having multiple "Bri"-s on the team (Banks, Hartley, Stewart, Pulido; we can't have two CDs.

Reaction Score
The discussion on these two points is futile:
  • There is no requirement for G-G-F-F-C, or any such designations. Geno doesn't work that way. Paraphrasing him, if a kid is a 3, and he needs a 4 in the game and sees her on the bench, she doesn't play. It just doesn't work in his system.
  • KLS is a guard. Height is immaterial; Magic was one of the best PGs in history at 6'9". She has a guard's game.
My ideas, all things remaining equal:

First game:
  • Tommy
  • Nurse
  • KLS
  • Gabbulous
  • Pheese
Situationally off the bench: Butler or Dangerfield
6th man: Irwin

Last game:
  • Tommy/Dangerfield (Situational Platoon)
  • Nurse
  • KLS
  • Gabbulous
  • Pheese/Butler (Situational Platoon)
Situationally off the bench: Tommy/Dangerfield, Pheese/Butler

Very little change. Geno likes a Senior lead guard, so barring Dangerfield becoming the Next Coming of Cousey during the season, the job is Tommy's to lose. I don't see Butler totally displacing Pheese (or visa-versa), but there will be situations where the bigger body will be needed more, and Pheese will platoon with Gabby or give Butler a breather.

There aren't many lineups in WCBB that are better than this one. Every player could start for every other team, and be a superstar on 99% of them. I don't get the doom-and-gloom; we will be VERY competitive next season.

Reaction Score
Now that tax day has come and gone, we can officially start the debate regarding next Season's Starters.
The usual caveats apply such as baring injury and to be clear we are talking about the 1st regular season game only.
Starte
G Kia Nurse
G Katie Lou Samuelson
F Napheesa Collier
F Gabby Williams
C Natalie Butler

The big question, in my mind, is how well Butler performs as a center rather than a face-up big 4, including whether she can play sizeable minutes at that position without fouling. I think Coach A would prefer to start her, but not if the overall effectiveness of the team is impaired (plus it's hard to get minutes if you're fouled out). If she can she will start and play a lot of minutes: if she can't we will be forced to go small. If we can't go with your lineup (which I would prefer), I think the starting lineup will be:
PG Nurse
OG Chong
F Collier
F Williams
G/W Samuelson
Whatever the outcome, it's going to be an interesting year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
  • There is no requirement for G-G-F-F-C, or any such designations. Geno doesn't work that way. Paraphrasing him, if a kid is a 3, and he needs a 4 in the game and sees her on the bench, she doesn't play. It just doesn't work in his system.
  • KLS is a guard. Height is immaterial; Magic was one of the best PGs in history at 6'9". She has a guard's game.

First game:
  • Tommy
  • Nurse
  • KLS
  • Gabbulous
  • Pheese

Last game:
  • Nurse
  • KLS
  • Gabbulous

Very little change. Geno likes a Senior lead guard, so barring Dangerfield becoming the Next Coming of Cousey during the season, the job is Tommy's to lose. I don't see Butler totally displacing Pheese (or visa-versa), but there will be situations where the bigger body will be needed more, and Pheese will platoon with Gabby or give Butler a breather.

There aren't many lineups in WCBB that are better than this one. Every player could start for every other team, and be a superstar on 99% of them. I don't get the doom-and-gloom; we will be VERY competitive next season.
Who is Tommy?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Who is Tommy?

If that is a straight-forward question, I'll give what I think is as straight an answer as I can give you, given the person in question.

Me thinks Tommy on UConn Bball is Saniya Chong, but the Tommy being cross-referenced is none other than
Tommy Chong, of "Cheech and Chong," who just passed away in December. If we've forgotten the man and/or his act, here are some highlights from their "Up in Smoke" feature, which followed "Reefer Madness"in a double bill at the Engineering Auditorium at Notre Dame in winter of 1974 (I think :) )

BTW, I agree with your initial starting lineup and also agree with the point that Butler's biggest challenge will be to stay out of foul trouble, an issue we have with Coco Nelson when she comes into spell Brianna Turner.

Reaction Score

First game:
  • Tommy
  • Nurse
  • KLS
  • Gabbulous
  • Pheese

Last game:
  • Nurse
  • KLS
  • Gabbulous

No way is KLS a natural guard. And playing her as one of two guards will hurt us. We need post presence ala Stewie and rebounding ability from her next year.

Reaction Score
Well, of course, it all depends on: (a) injuries; (b) what the freshmen show in practice; (c) what the veterans show in practice.

But my guess with all of those caveats is that Natalie will NOT start, and that one of the triumvirate of [Saniya / Crystal / Molly] will. Most likely that would be Saniya. In other words, Geno will decide to go smaller and faster, somewhat like the Georgetown team of a few years ago that made it to the Sweet 16 (where they lost a very close game to UConn who had Stef and Maya). That Georgetown team didn't have a player over 6-0, but Geno only won the game when he took Stef out and put in Lorin Dixon to have a team that could match Georgetown's pace.

And yes, that does mean that Lou and Napheesa would be playing in the paint on defense next year.

In the year just ended, South Florida had quite a successful season without any post player nearly as effective as either Lou or Napheesa would be in that role.
I totally agree that, unless Butler has a complete transformation, she will not start. Maybe against the nothing teams, but not against the good ones. She is not as good as as Heather Buck, and Heather was a "garbage minutes " player. Though a delightful human being, deserving of all our respect.

Reaction Score
If that is a straight-forward question, I'll give what I think is as straight an answer as I can give you, given the person in question.

Me thinks Tommy on UConn Bball is Saniya Chong, but the Tommy being cross-referenced is none other than
Tommy Chong, of "Cheech and Chong," who just passed away in December. If we've forgotten the man and/or his act, here are some highlights from their "Up in Smoke" feature, which followed "Reefer Madness"in a double bill at the Engineering Auditorium at Notre Dame in winter of 1974 (I think :) )

BTW, I agree with your initial starting lineup and also agree with the point that Butler's biggest challenge will be to stay out of foul trouble, an issue we have with Coco Nelson when she comes into spell Brianna Turner.

Dave's not here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01