UConn Recruiting Speculation 5 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Recruiting Speculation 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some dates to note, as there are a lot of moving parts that will potentially affect UConn and other schools that have significant player opportunities to take either a covid or redshirt year:

March 17 - portal opens
April 5 - deadline to declare for WNBA (see below)
April 6 - WNBA deadline for losers of semifinalist games
April 8 - WNBA deadline for NCAAT finalist participants
April 17 - beginning of NLI signing period
(April 17 to May 1 has a portal and NLI overlap)
May 1 - portal closes
May 15 - NLI signing window closes

1708607922305.jpeg

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Some dates to note, as there are a lot of moving parts that will potentially affect UConn and other schools that have significant player opportunities to take either a covid or redshirt year:

March 17 - portal opens
May 1 - portal closes

View attachment 96750
This is very informative, thanks for posting.

My major takeaway is that a high school senior who waits it out until after May 1 can have a fairly clear vision of what the rosters of her teams of interest will look like. Seems relevant to where UConn currently finds itself.

The May 1 deadline for portal closing is the deadline to get your name in the portal, but a commitment elsewhere could occur after that date. So someone can be in the portal by that date and select a school after that date, including after May 15. A coach of course could communicate that they are not going to take any (additional) transfers if that might influence the decision of a player of interest.

If in fact there is a cat and mouse game going on, this timeline gives us the rules of the road. Sorry for mixing metaphors there.

Reaction Score

March 17 - portal opens
May 1 - portal closes

View attachment 96750
Very helpful. The dates I worry about is the beginning of the portal and the end of the WNBA declarations. March 17 to April 5-8 is a long time where players can enter the portal, but schools don't yet know if they have a roster spot or not because they are waiting on a senior's decision. Very confusing for both sides.

Suppose for example a top big enters the portal soon after March 17, and begins exploring possible destinations. Schools that don't yet know if they have a spot (like us) have to wait or tell the player we might be interested if this or that happens. That player could be gone by the time you know.

In our case even if we do find out a spot is available in early April, as long as we are in the sweepstakes for Sarah, we probably don't want to use it in the portal. It would be nice is Sarah decides quickly after any relevant senior decisions, at least verbally.

Reaction Score
Very helpful. The dates I worry about is the beginning of the portal and the end of the WNBA declarations. March 17 to April 5-8 is a long time where players can enter the portal, but schools don't yet know if they have a roster spot or not because they are waiting on a senior's decision. Very confusing for both sides.

Suppose for example a top big enters the portal soon after March 17, and begins exploring possible destinations. Schools that don't yet know if they have a spot (like us) have to wait or tell the player we might be interested if this or that happens. That player could be gone by the time you know.

In our case even if we do find out a spot is available in early April, as long as we are in the sweepstakes for Sarah, we probably don't want to use it in the portal. It would be nice is Sarah decides quickly after any relevant senior decisions, at least verbally.

I'm thinking the school and the coach know. It's us fans that don't know

Reaction Score
Does Paige staying help or hinder this recruit?
Any player that plays more than the normal years will have a negative impact on recruiting. The thing about PB is she is good enough that it is certainly worth the risk. With what UConn has coming in next year plus Strong if she comes means I would not add any other players who want to play the extra year at UConn. Once you disrupt the recruiting cycle it has lasting effects and you are seeing that in football now where the portal is more important that the out of school recruiting.

Reaction Score
Ah, the recruiting season, Where every recruit is guaranteed to bring you a national championship or at least a trip to the final four. They will be the answer to rebounding problems, passing problems, shooting problems. We have been so fortunate in the past to have first pick for many of these types of players but with the growing popularity of women's basketball the opportunities for these young women has multiplied rapidly and it's a world we are going to have to adjust to, just like Geno has.

Reaction Score
Best thing for UConn:
#1 Sarah Strong commits! (I don’t know enough about Emily to say)
#2 Aaliyah comes back!
#3 We get a top big from portal!
#4 Chen

IMO

Reaction Score
This is a lot to ask for with only one roster spot available. Give me Sarah Strong and I’m content.
I believe that comment # 39, above, meant that their choice were sequentially First #1
Sarah... if not 1 then go to # 2 if not 2 go to three, etc. Seems a logical sequence for me.
It may not happen, but.... as others.... "IN GENO I TRUST!"

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Strong's entire recruitment has been incredibly quiet. There isn't an official list of schools from her. And perhaps there's a reason for it, especially as both her parents were CBB athletes and know the grind of it all.

What if Strong isn't in a rush to make a decision before the end of her HS season? What if she's taking her time, and awaiting the April NLI period, along with who declares for WNBA, etc? What if she's already made the decision and wants to make sure she's as thorough as can be? Sooooo many what ifs that we'll never know, unless she shares them publicly.

I cannot remember the end of season details of Geno & staff and if Wilson was still being pursued, however it was clear that after the NCAAT that she wasn't coming to UConn. However, if Geno was at Strong's previous game this week means (to me) that there's still a reason to show up and watch. Whatever the reasons behind it? I'm not even trying to guess why.

Bottom line, perhaps we need to not obsess about the decision of a HS player that is going to do what she feels is the best for her. Would I like to see her at UConn? Absolutely. Are there too many things up in the air right now to even consider? Yup. I figure we have three regular season games left, then anywhere from 1-3 BET games, and 1-6 NCAAT games. I'm gonna focus on each game as it comes then let everything else happen as it may.

Reaction Score
So many people on here think Sarah Strong is gonna be the answer to all our problems. I think they might be over-estimating Sarah's abilities. There's a big difference between high school and college.
I think maybe we should cool our jets and talk about others who can help us.

Reaction Score
So many people on here think Sarah Strong is gonna be the answer to all our problems. I think they might be over-estimating Sarah's abilities. There's a big difference between high school and college.

UConn has a pretty good track record with #1 recruits. I think Christyn Williams and Azzi Fudd (as of now) are the only ones that haven’t been at least an All-American, some of which went on to win PoY (Tina, Maya, Mosqueda-Lewis, Stewie, Katie Lou, Megan Walker, Paige).

Sarah won’t answer all UConn’s problems, but a bulk of those problems are currently sitting on the bench in sweats. As a big body who can pass and shoot relatively well, she’d be an outstanding addition.

Reaction Score

I feel like this late in the recruiting process, Geno being at Sarah’s game yesterday confirms that it’s only between South Carolina and UConn for her. Haven’t seen anything about UNC or LSU in awhile.

I think UConn might have a recruiting advantage in their style of play compared to SC. Talented shooting bigs who went to UConn were allowed to shoot the rock and were not chained to the post like Dawn would have them. Maya, Ann Strother, and Katie Lou were just a few.

Reaction Score
Sarah Strong puts 10 finalists on her list. Maybe she'll choose UCLA or North Carolina. Who Knows?

Reaction Score
Anyone suggesting she isn't going to start is underrating her. She's the number 1 recruit for a reason. Don't know about "all our problems" but will definitely alleviate some problems. OFC can never know 100% (for any recruit) but as a recruit she checks a lot of boxes. She won't be an A/A as a frosh but

1---- UCONN can use a 2nd scorer that can score efficiently on her own. A lot of times as a freshman, the new recruit can score efficiently outside or in. She appears she can do both.

2--- UCONN runs a motion offense requiring passing and she is already considered a very good passer.

3---- UCONN needs rebounding and she is already considered a very good rebounder.

4---- Just because she would start doesn't mean she will become an A/A her freshman year. But her strengths in H/S of being an elite scorer and terrific passer and rebounder is the exact type of player with a chance for an enormous impact.

Reaction Score
Have you seen Ms. Strong play? E.G.: Did you see her in the INTERNATIONAL FIBA GIRLS 3X3
competition? = A gold medal there. There is a difference between H.S. and College, but...
I still believe that the best predictor of "future" behavior (i.e. success) is "past" behavior.
Ms. Strong has been " successful " in the past ... and I don't think that she "is gonna
be the answer to all of our problems" but I would like to see her in " National Flag Blue
and White) (IMHO). Go Sarah, come to Storrs.!

Reaction Score
Anyone suggesting she isn't going to start is underrating her. She's the number 1 recruit for a reason. Don't know about "all our problems" but will definitely alleviate some problems. OFC can never know 100% (for any recruit) but as a recruit she checks a lot of boxes. She won't be an A/A as a frosh but

1---- UCONN can use a 2nd scorer that can score efficiently on her own. A lot of times as a freshman, the new recruit can score efficiently outside or in. She appears she can do both.

2--- UCONN runs a motion offense requiring passing and she is already considered a very good passer.

3---- UCONN needs rebounding and she is already considered a very good rebounder.

4---- Just because she would start doesn't mean she will become an A/A her freshman year. But her strengths in H/S of being an elite scorer and terrific passer and rebounder is the exact type of player with a chance for an enormous impact.
Ann Strother, Maya Moore, and Katie Lou Samuelson were all UConn bigs who were excellent outside shooters, and started as freshman. Just pointing that out. If I recall correctly, didn’t Ann hit some big shots against Tennessee at the FF?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yes, plus, she’s not the center everyone is clamoring for. Sarah is a wing, a mighty fine one, that can rebound, yes, but not a center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom