UConn Moves To #1 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

UConn Moves To #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All will be decided on the court this week. Until then, relax! We've been blessed to have everything we do to this point. I'll welcome a holiday gift in the form of a big old win in South Bend!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Didn't the Huskies barely get past FSU minus Romero? And they didn't exactly steamroll Texas either, getting outscored in two of the quarters.
First game of the season was FSU without Romero and we found a way to win. We've looked better game after game since. We beat Texas by 18. ND beat Washington and GB barely. Hey we may not win at ND and many think we wont but I like our chances alot. As good as ND is and they are good we as a team have played better imo.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN is undefeated and deserves to be ranked #1 because it has put on 40 minutes of intense defense in every single game this year that no team can match for even 1/2 of a game. To look at any one quarter, or single moment or single game is going to negatively skew your perspective of this team. FSU, Baylor, & Texas were all relatively close games late in the game then the defense took over.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
OK, but we are still doomed!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
We are delighted that CTyankee and his wife will join is to view the ND vs. UConn game on Wednesday. That's important! As for the poll, I recall Rhett Butler's farewell comment to Scarlett O'Hara. ;)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
First game of the season was FSU without Romero and we found a way to win. We've looked better game after game since. We beat Texas by 18. ND beat Washington and GB barely.

The Irish beat Washington by 11, never trailed, and were up by 10+ for all but about 30 seconds. Not a classic blowout though they did lead by 23 at one point. The Green Bay game, sure; they nearly lost a 12 point 4th quarter lead.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Duke & USF move into top 25, Tennessee out

Glad to see USF move into the top 25. I've been monitoring games of other AAC teams. They're losing too many games that they should be winning. Each team in the AAC, must be held accountable to increase the appearance and reputation of the league. This means you must win games outside of the conference. The rest of the AAC teams can't leave all of the heavy lifting to UConn and USF.
Some of the scores have been embarrassing. Some of them are losing to low mid-majors at home.

Carnac

Reaction Score
We are delighted that CTyankee and his wife will join is to view the ND vs. UConn game on Wednesday. That's important! As for the poll, I recall Rhett Butler's farewell comment to Scarlett O'Hara. ;)

Not a big surprise I don't think ..... with SC losing that meant their 3 first place votes (in both polls) had to go somewhere. Considering the ranked teams UConn has beat this year I would have expected them to go to UConn. But the big impetus to the shakeup was really SC losing more than anything else.

I am surprised that one person switched their vote from ND to UConn .... wierd

And I am glad to see FSU continues to climb the polls .... they may end up as one of the top 1 seeds for the NCAA's... they are a great team!

It's possible. it's still early. Currently the Seminoles are at #7. They would have to jump 3 teams (South Carolina, Mississippi St. & Maryland) to get to #4, and a #1 seed. That's a tall order.
All 3 of those teams would have to collapse, and FSU would almost have to win out the rest of the way. Stranger things have happened.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Congrats on your win yesterday. How is that Lexie Brown thing working out? 6 turnovers. Head bang

She's working out great. Seems like she loves it at Duke ..... loves her teammates... and her teammates love her. I'll tell her that you asked about her :rolleyes:

Great that we can pull off a upset win even though she had a terrible game. :cool:

Reaction Score
How much attention do the players pay to the rankings?

Reaction Score
It's possible. it's still early. Currently the Seminoles are at #7. They would have to jump 3 teams (South Carolina, Mississippi St. & Maryland) to get to #4, and a #1 seed. That's a tall order.
All 3 of those teams would have to collapse, and FSU would almost have to win out the rest of the way. Stranger things have happened.

Since they are in the ACC, things are somewhat in their power to influence rankings: games against ranked conference foes Miami, Va Tech, Duke, Louisville, and Notre Dame. If FSU can claim the ACC title, they would likely have as good a resume as anyone for a 1-seed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Since they are in the ACC, things are somewhat in their power to influence rankings: games against ranked conference foes Miami, Va Tech, Duke, Louisville, and Notre Dame. If FSU can claim the ACC title, they would likely have as good a resume as anyone for a 1-seed.

And they still have a matchup in midseason vs Texas as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suppose it is a reasonable assumption that the SC #1 voters had to decide where there votes should go and felt UConn was more worthy than ND. It may be as simple as that.

Reaction Score
(Posted this on ESPN as well)
As many have said, rankings don't mean a whole lot this early in the year. And when the difference between #1 and #2 is only a few points, as it has been for the last few weeks, being #1 vs #2 is really meaningless.
But there is one little oddity - If UConn had received 18 first-place votes and 15 second-place votes, their total would be 810. For their total to be 809, there must have been one voter who ranked them third. Now that's a bit hard to justify.
UPDATE - I just caught up with wbbfan's post. So it is Debbie Antonelli who thinks UConn is #3. Well, she's now on Santa's list!

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Just to maintain the literary reference, "Tomorrow is another day.....":rolleyes:

Carnac

Reaction Score
She's working out great. Seems like she loves it at Duke ..... loves her teammates... and her teammates love her. I'll tell her that you asked about her :rolleyes:

Great that we can pull off a upset win even though she had a terrible game. :cool:

Congrats Triad, that was a very nice, but surprising win over the Gamecocks. That win elevated your team into the top 25 (#21). Heads are beginning to turn your way, and your program will be taken more seriously (when you defeat the #3 team) the rest of the way. Duke is back on the block, and that's good for WCBB. :)

Reaction Score

FSU does get to play a number of ranked teams during the ACC schedule (ND, Louisville, Syracuse, Miami), so their fate is in their own hands. And does anyone really believe Miss State is the number 5 team in the nation? And why no Pac-12 teams in the top 10?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Glad to see USF move into the top 25. I've been monitoring games of other AAC teams. They're losing too many games that they should be winning. Each team in the AAC, must be held accountable to increase the appearance and reputation of the league. This means you must win games outside of the conference. The rest of the AAC teams can't leave all of the heavy lifting to UConn and USF. Some of the scores have been embarrassing. Some of them are losing to low mid-majors at home.

CORRECTION........All five USF wins to open the 2016-17 season have come by double digits. The Bulls have won their games by an average of 28.4 points. The start has not gone unnoticed in the polls, as South Florida is ranked just outside the Top 25 in both the AP and USA Today Coaches Poll. - I was misinformed. :rolleyes:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If UCONN spanks ND, which is suspect they will, I suspect that BD will fall a few notches. However, if the game is close I am guess that the rankings will stay pretty much like they are for a while.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Duke is back on the block

Maybe some block in Hoboken, maybe, but definitely not the same block of real estate with UConn, ND, et. al. They can still catch the PATH and join the party, maybe.

On another note, I think TN has just been poured down the drain at the end of the block.​

Reaction Score

This is great news for UConn. Geno has been waiting all year to top off his OOC schedule by also playing the #2 team in the country. :D

Now this makes sense...

How the 4time defending champs dont open the season #1 was odd to me. I chalked it up to more uconn bias, but they certainly deserve the # 1 ranking now. They way they have started this season again speaks to this teams understated toughness. To the naked eye it could go unnoticed but this team is tough as nails and will continue to grow...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom