UConn Moves To #1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

UConn Moves To #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not a big surprise I don't think ..... with SC losing that meant their 3 first place votes (in both polls) had to go somewhere. Considering the ranked teams UConn has beat this year I would have expected them to go to UConn. But the big impetus to the shakeup was really SC losing more than anything else.

I am surprised that one person switched their vote from ND to UConn .... wierd

And I am glad to see FSU continues to climb the polls .... they may end up as one of the top 1 seeds for the NCAA's... they are a great team!

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
I think Geno would have liked to stay number 2 for the Wed. game so the team continues to have the chip they are carrying this season of no respect...

Yeah, and I'm with Geno on this one. I liked the 2 spot for this team and heading into this game, with the chance to take out #1 on their home floor.

Reaction Score
I smell monkey business! Why would they even change their ranking right now???? Although I feel UCONN is the best team in the country, they should've left us at #2. Clearly they're trying to soften the blow to ND provided we (UCONN) win on Wednesday. Just so they can say well #1 is supposed to win! What the crap ever!!!! However, if ND were to somehow win, they'll say it was an "upset"... GET THE ..... OUT OF HERE with the unnecessary roughness! Annnnywhooooo...GO UCONN!

The difference last week was only 6 pts, with ND ahead. That's virtually nothing in difference and it's been like that for several weeks. The thing that caused the change was SC losing, as 3 people had given SC 1st place votes the week before. UConn picked up 1st place votes by SC losing. Also back in week 3 ND and UConn both had 16 1st votes. with an overall gap of 7 votes. The gap has been closing for weeks from the orginal 40+ after UConn beat Baylor. The gap was already small and a few people switched b/c UConn beat 2 top 20 teams by 18 and 45, while ND played Valpo and Iowa.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
And TX coming in at 17 has got to be the highest ranking for a team with a 33% win percentage EVER! I think they deserve it based on who they lost to, but it is pretty eye popping.
Might I remind you of my rant last year about this situation!

Reaction Score

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
"The Lady Vols (16-11) dropped out of the poll after 565 consecutive weeks, dating to Feb. 17, 1985, after two defeats in the past week".
This news is not true.
Tenn was out of top 25 since Week 16 (Feb. 22, 2016),
2016 Women's College Basketball Rankings and Polls for Week 16 - ESPN

The article I posted was from Feb of last year. I posted it in reply to Miami thinking this was the first time they fell out. easy mistake tho if you didn't catch the article dateline

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
The difference last week was only 6 pts, with ND ahead. That's virtually nothing in difference and it's been like that for several weeks. The thing that caused the change was SC losing, as 3 people had given SC 1st place votes the week before. UConn picked up 1st place votes by SC losing. Also back in week 3 ND and UConn both had 16 1st votes. with an overall gap of 7 votes. The gap has been closing for weeks from the orginal 40+ after UConn beat Baylor. The gap was already small and a few people switched b/c UConn beat 2 top 20 teams by 18 and 45, while ND played Valpo and Iowa.

That Iowa game was a good 1 wasn't it?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I too would have preferred that the voters kept UConn at #2 until after the ND game on Wednesday, but either way, Geno will use it to his advantage to motivate the team. If the Huskies had remained at #2 it would have been, "nobody respects what you've done so far this year." Now that they are #1, it will be, "prove to me that you've earned the right to be #1 by going into South Bend and winning." The good news is that it will be settled on the court in 2 days.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Timing is everything...
Wished they kept it the same until after the game was played Wednesday...
Oh well, such is life.. no sense in letting that distract my goal... Stay Focus UCONN!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Or, ND's response to this unjust slight may end up as said material for the Huskies. :eek:
Java did they respond. I dont know but if I was coaching Notre Dame and the game was in our house. My response would be to the media, Uconn is playing the best basketball in the country! meanwhile telling my team that nobody respects you and they should be tired of hearing Uconn, Huskies or Connecticut! Of course a few more items that I cant write here out of respect to the mods!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The TN drop is HISTORIC - they have been ranked in EVERY AP poll since it all began.
Didn't they drop out last year? I thought they did before the tourney started...

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
AP Women's College Basketball Poll Week 5 Includes how voter voted.

Debbie Antonelli still has Maryland ranked above UConn. Has UConn 3rd, only voter to do so and Maryland ranked 2nd.

She was the only voter that did not vote ND/UConn 1/2 or 2/1. Now I can't wait to hear the "welcome" she receives should she surface in Storrs or Hartford.

UConn Nation! Heat up the tar! Bundle the feathers! Hone the pitchforks! :mad:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
You know Uconn as they have continued to play ranked teams kept moving up in points after the initial minor dip of the FSU game - I think the accumulation of ranked wins just became too great to ignore, especially with SC stumbling down. This week with two more wins against top 15 teams and with SC losing all their #1, #2, and #3 votes Uconn made up the 6 points they trailed ND by. ND actually increased its vote total by 4, but Uconn increased its total by 12. ND only had one first place vote change to a second place vote which cost them a single point.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom