Men - UConn Fall Ball 2023 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Fall Ball 2023

Reaction Score
The financial side, ur right, it’s usually what dictates a lot, if not most of the scheduling. On both sides, not just UConn’s. To ur point about an sec team never coming up here for a return series due to the lack of need or risk/reward option…that’s exactly where I was going with my earlier point, how can Uconn avoid the 50+ win season n luck when vying for a potential hosting or better seeding in June. The big east doesn’t seem to offer that upside in baseball as a whole and if they can’t the SEC elite programs, is there any realistic scenario where ( bottom echelon of the conf) teams would entertain a return series? Again, as fan speak solely, the 2 seed was very tough to navigate. If SEC won’t budge, Big 12 again (Texas tech’s) annually? Regardless, reading that an Auburn, Vandy etc are on future schedules is good news. Looking forward to the schedule release.

Reaction Score
They do. Cal Baptist, UC Santa Barbara, and Cal and possibly one other school.

Yeah, Chris Jones during game broadcasts last season talked about this spring break trip.

Reaction Score
The financial side, ur right, it’s usually what dictates a lot, if not most of the scheduling. On both sides, not just UConn’s. To ur point about an sec team never coming up here for a return series due to the lack of need or risk/reward option…that’s exactly where I was going with my earlier point, how can Uconn avoid the 50+ win season n luck when vying for a potential hosting or better seeding in June. The big east doesn’t seem to offer that upside in baseball as a whole and if they can’t the SEC elite programs, is there any realistic scenario where ( bottom echelon of the conf) teams would entertain a return series? Again, as fan speak solely, the 2 seed was very tough to navigate. If SEC won’t budge, Big 12 again (Texas tech’s) annually? Regardless, reading that an Auburn, Vandy etc are on future schedules is good news. Looking forward to the schedule release.

I've heard UConn baseball definitely trying to upgrade its out of conference schedule in coming seasons.

Last season I heard a rumor that UConn baseball was on its way to scheduling a home and home series against a P5 team that is very highly regarded in college baseball circles. This home and home series would be in addition to the Rutgers and BC series that UConn currently has going on. Not sure when this additional series against the P5 team would start, whether it would be this coming season or in a following season.

Reaction Score
I’m sure upgrading the schedule is far easier said then done…but it’s worth discussing. P5 is difficult to judge based on the movement and uncertainty…does this open up a former Pac 12 member who is now in another conf to consider venturing east more so?? Idk, nothing to base that off of other then opinion and the crazy realignment. It seems that everything runs thru the SEC n B12 for baseball as well…west coast seems to have grouped baseball into the Olympic sport category which is bothersome. The venues, natural grass fields and actual “baseball fields” not dual purpose intramural share a turf field, I digress. I guess my point is even with all the great things about west coast bb the respect within the game seems to be those 2 main conferences

Jm7

Reaction Score
Hey guys new to the thread here. Was at the game Friday but ended up leaving because it was getting out of hand. I have to stay I am concerned with the way Daniels and Coe performed, hopefully they are just tired from a long summer. Also I have say it was a great environment.

Reaction Score
Hey guys new to the thread here. Was at the game Friday but ended up leaving because it was getting out of hand. I have to stay I am concerned with the way Daniels and Coe performed, hopefully they are just tired from a long summer. Also I have say it was a great environment.
Agree on Daniles, and disagree on Coe.

Coe was one outing and don't want to get results-oriented on a short, immaterial stint. Let's see what happens against LIU. For me, with Coe he needs to get ahead of hitters and throw strikes. Sounds obvious but for him, it's extra important due to his velocity. When he's ahead in the count he's extremely effective. Go back to the Florida game b4 he got hurt. Only gave up 2 hits but walked 5. Teams generally don't hit him hard. I know you need to be careful with that lineup but that stat line is when he's really not effective. I don't think he's a Friday night starter (should be SQuigs) but he's a nice change of pace guy on the weekends. He's low on my list of concerns. If he throws strikes early in counts he'll be ok.

Daniels Defensively plays a great 2B (1 error last year). Offensively, I want to see him be more aggressive at the plate and really attack the baseball, especially being in the 2 hole in this lineup. Seems to be on his heels at the plate. Is he thinking too much? Is confidence an issue? Who knows I'm not around the program enough. He needs to start driving the baseball with a focus on pulling it. I think he's too content with going the opposite way. The other night he went to RF but really didn't drive anything (Sac fly was okay). Coming out of high school the jump in pitching is massive as he came from a Class S school in CT. He was facing low-mid 70s it's like batting practice. But he did face better competition over the summers prior to coming to UConn and now he's had >1 year to adjust. The potential is definitely there. To me a personal aspiration for him this year should be some form of All-Big East. But the approach at the plate needs to be tweaked. Let's see what happens.

Reaction Score

Certainly not worried about Garrett Coe. He has done very well with UConn the last couple years, plus he had a terrific summer pitching in the Cape League. I am not going to get worried about him based on just this one outing. I expect he will get plenty of time on the mound for the Huskies, even if he doesn't end up being a weekend starter this coming season. Even if he does not start, Coe will no doubt be an important cog out of the bullpen for UConn.

Reaction Score

Coe was one outing and don't want to get results-oriented on a short, immaterial stint. Let's see what happens against LIU. For me, with Coe he needs to get ahead of hitters and throw strikes. Sounds obvious but for him, it's extra important due to his velocity. When he's ahead in the count he's extremely effective. Go back to the Florida game b4 he got hurt. Only gave up 2 hits but walked 5. Teams generally don't hit him hard. I know you need to be careful with that lineup but that stat line is when he's really not effective. I don't think he's a Friday night starter (should be SQuigs) but he's a nice change of pace guy on the weekends. He's low on my list of concerns. If he throws strikes early in counts he'll be ok.

Daniels Defensively plays a great 2B (1 error last year). Offensively, I want to see him be more aggressive at the plate and really attack the baseball, especially being in the 2 hole in this lineup. Seems to be on his heels at the plate. Is he thinking too much? Is confidence an issue? Who knows I'm not around the program enough. He needs to start driving the baseball with a focus on pulling it. I think he's too content with going the opposite way. The other night he went to RF but really didn't drive anything (Sac fly was okay). Coming out of high school the jump in pitching is massive as he came from a Class S school in CT. He was facing low-mid 70s it's like batting practice. But he did face better competition over the summers prior to coming to UConn and now he's had >1 year to adjust. The potential is definitely there. To me a personal aspiration for him this year should be some form of All-Big East. But the approach at the plate needs to be tweaked. Let's see what happens.

I think ur assessment of Coe and his value to the staff, is spot on. I myself am a big believer in the change of pace, lefty, not a ton of hard contact (albeit, when it happens it usually means a rough outing) but not enough to warrant the upside. Sunday starter is certainly plausible. I think his approach to pitching and his attitude on the mound is ideal…looking for the series sweep or looking to not get swept in a big series, not a bad choice Sunday choice

Reaction Score
Certainly to be proud of. As a fan, but mainly the bb program. Quality n consistency. That’s coming from someone, again, who’s been following for only 7 yrs. One win shy of the ultimate ticket to the dance…which is the ultimate goal. I have confidence they’ll break through, as do most UConn fans, regardless of sport. How can you not! Now, how to get there sooner rather then later is the fun of being a fan and the challenge for those involved from UConn

Reaction Score
Great read/preview. Very in-depth as usual. Find a way to read it:

-> “Pitching has been the constant in our program over the last 10, 11, 12 years. We’ve always built it around pitching,” said longtime UConn head coach Jim Penders. “Last year the offense had to carry it a little more than we’re accustomed to, it was uncomfortable for the coaching staff — just not as much what we’re used to. It was a different type of year, that’s for sure, with the way that we were winning. There were a lot of tense games, put it that way. The kids, to their credit, maybe to our credit too, hopefully we didn’t show that tension, even though we were feeling it. They found a way, won a lot of one-run games and coming from behind, winning late like crazy. As a coach in my 30s I could probably handle it a little better; now that I’m in my 50s and got a physical coming up in a month and a half, I’d like to do it more with pitching.” <-

-> Penders on Garrett Coe: “We’ve got to give him a chance at least at the beginning of the year to earn one of those weekend spots — for all purposes, he’s our guy. He’s our tough guy, he’s not afraid of anybody, any opponent. Nothing really rattles him,” MacDonald said. “So we’ll give him the ball, the team really rallies around him. He’s a great teammate, he’s done every role for us, he’s selfless — never makes it about himself, only cares about winning. If you look up the term ‘effectively wild,’ it’ll have his face on it — he will throw a pitch at your neck and then spot up on the black low and away. You can’t really prepare for him, he moves the ball around so much, guys leave their approach and get frustrated. When you need him to make the big pitch, he makes it.” <-

-> Some of the personnel has changed, but UConn has proven adept at reloading effectively year after year, and this year is no exception. And you can be sure that one of college baseball’s very best coaching staffs — with associate head coach Jeff Hourigan and fellow longtime assistant Chris Podeszwa joining Penders and MacDonald — will have this team ready to battle hard and execute all the finer points of the game when spring rolls around. They do it every year. <-

Reaction Score
Great read/preview. Very in-depth as usual. Find a way to read it:

-> “Pitching has been the constant in our program over the last 10, 11, 12 years. We’ve always built it around pitching,” said longtime UConn head coach Jim Penders. “Last year the offense had to carry it a little more than we’re accustomed to, it was uncomfortable for the coaching staff — just not as much what we’re used to. It was a different type of year, that’s for sure, with the way that we were winning. There were a lot of tense games, put it that way. The kids, to their credit, maybe to our credit too, hopefully we didn’t show that tension, even though we were feeling it. They found a way, won a lot of one-run games and coming from behind, winning late like crazy. As a coach in my 30s I could probably handle it a little better; now that I’m in my 50s and got a physical coming up in a month and a half, I’d like to do it more with pitching.” <-

-> Penders on Garrett Coe: “We’ve got to give him a chance at least at the beginning of the year to earn one of those weekend spots — for all purposes, he’s our guy. He’s our tough guy, he’s not afraid of anybody, any opponent. Nothing really rattles him,” MacDonald said. “So we’ll give him the ball, the team really rallies around him. He’s a great teammate, he’s done every role for us, he’s selfless — never makes it about himself, only cares about winning. If you look up the term ‘effectively wild,’ it’ll have his face on it — he will throw a pitch at your neck and then spot up on the black low and away. You can’t really prepare for him, he moves the ball around so much, guys leave their approach and get frustrated. When you need him to make the big pitch, he makes it.” <-

-> Some of the personnel has changed, but UConn has proven adept at reloading effectively year after year, and this year is no exception. And you can be sure that one of college baseball’s very best coaching staffs — with associate head coach Jeff Hourigan and fellow longtime assistant Chris Podeszwa joining Penders and MacDonald — will have this team ready to battle hard and execute all the finer points of the game when spring rolls around. They do it every year. <-

The full article is definitely worth checking out. A lot of interesting info in it.

Reaction Score
I haven’t read the article aside from the quotes above, (I’m too cheap to pay for D1 Baseball subscription) but based upon these comments by the coaches, it seems extremely promising. I like the fact that the coaches won’t shy away from stating that the pitching was a liability overall and the uncharacteristic amount of walks issued as a staff were a major problem. Gives hope as a fan that’ll it get corrected. Outside of injury and underperforming expectations, walks were easily their biggest downside.

Reaction Score
I haven’t read the article aside from the quotes above, (I’m too cheap to pay for D1 Baseball subscription) but based upon these comments by the coaches, it seems extremely promising. I like the fact that the coaches won’t shy away from stating that the pitching was a liability overall and the uncharacteristic amount of walks issued as a staff were a major problem. Gives hope as a fan that’ll it get corrected. Outside of injury and underperforming expectations, walks were easily their biggest downside.
cliff note version

Quigley, Cooke,Coe, Van Emon are the front runners to start. Quinn could do both possibly if he continues pitching like he did this summer

Back end is Afthim, Ellison, Carrea, Abbadessa, Maher

They love the Freshman arms. Galusha,Wolff, Turner, Spirito, Finn Conte, West(order they were mentioned) High velo kids could be factors this spring.

6 Outfielders Studley and Morton are centerpieces of the lineup. They like Kron alot, TC currently injured. Brini and Sphur are solid and add depth.

Infield is Delena/Broadhurst at 1st (mentioned Delena had a rough summer but he has arguably the best pop on the team),Broadhurst nursing a wrist injury but his bat will be in the middle of the lineup come spring. Daniels at 2nd (they mentioned he's struggling a bit currently), Tammarro has taken over short and is looking like the leadoff hitter, Padilla at 3rd with Freshman Minnick pushing him. Rispoli and Davino are building blocks for the future.

Garbo they said is better defensively then last year, They like Malcolm's bat and say he's sneaky athletic .Could play outfield if needed and potential DH. Hyde is solid behind the plate but behind offensively to those 2. Oates is the future. Like his arm and foot speed and the bat will come after facing higher quality pitching this fall.

Reaction Score
That’s great info. Thank you for sharing the main points. Seriously. I noticed Carrea’s name in there, he seemed to hold his own last year even with limited innings and subpar stats. That aside, they must value the potential. I like Padilla to be a pleasant surprise this season. I know he struggled last year but he’s got some pop and proven clutch when he’s going well. Young talent pushing for playing time is always a good thing. Let’s hope those lively freshmen arms get some experience. If they can have multiple arms like the Wallace’s in a given season, tournament time is when it separated itself. Good pitching always beats good hitting. Cliche’ but accurate. UConn’s losses were against 2 dominant pitchers. Face TT or Fla. while facing just about anybody else on each roster and the outcomes may have been different. Overmatched by Waldrep, but a great barometer of what it’ll take. That’s why the 22’ team was a special team. They had the pieces even while missing a 1st rounder. It’s not easy to field a team in the northeast yearly with that legitimate talent on the roster. High end arms will get them there. Again, tnx for sharing the article

Reaction Score
That’s great info. Thank you for sharing the main points. Seriously. I noticed Carrea’s name in there, he seemed to hold his own last year even with limited innings and subpar stats. That aside, they must value the potential. I like Padilla to be a pleasant surprise this season. I know he struggled last year but he’s got some pop and proven clutch when he’s going well. Young talent pushing for playing time is always a good thing. Let’s hope those lively freshmen arms get some experience. If they can have multiple arms like the Wallace’s in a given season, tournament time is when it separated itself. Good pitching always beats good hitting. Cliche’ but accurate. UConn’s losses were against 2 dominant pitchers. Face TT or Fla. while facing just about anybody else on each roster and the outcomes may have been different. Overmatched by Waldrep, but a great barometer of what it’ll take. That’s why the 22’ team was a special team. They had the pieces even while missing a 1st rounder. It’s not easy to field a team in the northeast yearly with that legitimate talent on the roster. High end arms will get them there. Again, tnx for sharing the article
Carrea's slider spins at over 3000 rpm's, they compared him to Randy Polonia

Reaction Score
I’ll certainly take ur word on the spin rate…I’m not exactly well versed when it comes to those particular numbers. What is considered a good spin rate?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom