Men - UConn Fall Ball 2023 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Fall Ball 2023

Reaction Score
The play before the sac fly on the triple it looked like he got the out on a ridiculous throw (called safe). That throw likely led to the kid leaving early on the sac fly on the next AB. Strong and accurate arm out there for sure.
I haven't seen enough of Kron to have a strong opinion, however, my put is if he gives them an upgrade on defense (range/arm) over TC then put him in there and hit him at the bottom of the order. Whatever you get on offense is a bonus and then you find out long-term if you have your CF. I don't know what's going on in practice/scrimmages. I trust Penders to make the correct decision.

Jm7

Reaction Score
Hey guys was at my nephews birthday party saturday night so didn’t get a chance to post over the weekend. Was able to catch the scrimmage Friday and have a couple thoughts…
1) If Maddix can swing it like he did Friday night, he will be a great addition to the lineup. Can he make up for hubers power?
2) Noticed none of the pitchers were using Apple Watches this scrimmage. Wonder if coach Penders vetoed the watches
3) saw tc Simmons had a mask on. Overheard a couple parents walking out after the game saying he got hit in face with a tree branch?! Does anyone know more about this?

Overall it was a great night at Elliot once again. Can’t wait for the season!

Reaction Score
Hey guys was at my nephews birthday party saturday night so didn’t get a chance to post over the weekend. Was able to catch the scrimmage Friday and have a couple thoughts…
1) If Maddix can swing it like he did Friday night, he will be a great addition to the lineup. Can he make up for hubers power?
2) Noticed none of the pitchers were using Apple Watches this scrimmage. Wonder if coach Penders vetoed the watches
3) saw tc Simmons had a mask on. Overheard a couple parents walking out after the game saying he got hit in face with a tree branch?! Does anyone know more about this?

1) Huber hit.341/17/66 The 17 HRs were 5th highest in a single season at Uconn and 66 RBI were 4th highest in a single season at Uconn. So making up for Huber's power in full is too big of an ask. However, Dalena can still make a major impact this season and be a net positive for the program. Double-digit homers and ~50RBIs would be nice goals assuming he's in the 5 hole range. Avg probably something north of .290 would be great (very big ask but good stretch goal). So a .290/11/50 campaign in my mind would be successful. And yes he has the ceiling to go higher that's what makes him intriguing and exciting.
2) No clue
3) Saw the mask contraption but I have no further details. TC needs to (quickly) focus on getting healthy as this is the 3rd major injury since he had the collision (ribs) at Texas Tech. I don't believe in the injury-prone theory just saying if he wants to start (I'm sure that's his goal) needs to get healthy fast because Kron is most likely making a strong case to start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Coach Mac was not there Friday so that may be why.

Reaction Score
I've heard UConn baseball definitely trying to upgrade its out of conference schedule in coming seasons.

Last season I heard a rumor that UConn baseball was on its way to scheduling a home and home series against a P5 team that is very highly regarded in college baseball circles. This home and home series would be in addition to the Rutgers and BC series that UConn currently has going on. Not sure when this additional series against the P5 team would start, whether it would be this coming season or in a following season.

Any word on schedule release date?

Reaction Score
Any word on schedule release date?

Not yet. However, at the Alumni Game and Barbecue, which is being held this coming Sunday, an event that my wife and I have been going to for a number of years, a preliminary schedule is made available to those who attend. This preliminary schedule is pretty much the base schedule for the coming season. A few changes to this preliminary schedule are not uncommon before the final schedule does end up getting released. Usually the Alumni Game is held in late September, I think it was delayed this year due to scheduling conflicts with UConn soccer games.

Reaction Score
Not yet. However, at the Alumni Game and Barbecue, which is being held this coming Sunday, an event that my wife and I have been going to for a number of years, a preliminary schedule is made available to those who attend. This preliminary schedule is pretty much the base schedule for the coming season. A few changes to this preliminary schedule are not uncommon before the final schedule does end up getting released. Usually the Alumni Game is held in late September, I think it was delayed this year due to scheduling conflicts with UConn soccer games.

Ok. Appreciate the response.

Reaction Score
A Regional in Storrs would do recruiting wonders. June bb environment is quite an advantage, especially in the northeast. The aesthetics alone are recruiting gold. As a fan, it’s something to root for.

Reaction Score
Is there a list of players going to the alumni game?

Reaction Score
I'm really looking forward to the Alumni Game and barbecue event coming this Sunday.

Reaction Score

No preliminary schedule available today, as the weekend schedule is not yet complete. I was told that. Schedule should be out soon.

Reaction Score
No preliminary schedule available today, as the weekend schedule is not yet complete. I was told that. Schedule should be out soon.

Coach Penders said during the player introductions and awards ceremony prior to the Alumni Game the reason that the preliminary schedule was not yet being released yet is that UConn the non conference weekend schedule was not yet complete. Originally, UConn was scheduled to play Mercer (I think) in Storrs on Easter weekend. However, the contract for that series had not been signed when another team offered to travel to Mercer to play on Easter weekend. Mercer took that offer. When UConn baseball gets a replacement team to play in Storrs that weekend, the schedule will be released. They are hoping to release the schedule in the next couple of weeks.

Coach Penders did provide an outline for the non conference weekend games prior to the start of Big East Play. This is what I think I heard:

1st weekend - UConn playing in Tampa at USF. UConn will play the following teams that weekend:
USF
Louisville
Indiana State(?) I think that is what he said.

2nd weekend - 3 game series at California.
3rd weekend - 3 game series at Auburn.

4th and 5th weekend - spring break trip to southern California, starting with 3 games against Santa Barbara, and ending with with 3 games against Cal Baptist(?) think that is what I heard. During the midweek of that trip will include a game against UCLA, don't recall other teams that might have been mentioned.

6th weekend - 3 game series at Rutgers.

Big East play for UConn baseball will start the weekend after Easter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The current UConn baseball team had a 6-0 lead against the Alumni team at the beginning of the 6th inning when I had to leave. Ian Cooke pitched the first 3 innings, and Gabe Van Emon came in to pitch after Cooke came out.

Reaction Score
Coach Penders said during the player introductions and awards ceremony prior to the Alumni Game the reason that the preliminary schedule was not yet being released yet is that UConn the non conference weekend schedule was not yet complete. Originally, UConn was scheduled to play Mercer (I think) in Storrs on Easter weekend. However, the contract for that series had not been signed when another team offered to travel to Mercer to play on Easter weekend. Mercer took that offer. When UConn baseball gets a replacement team to play in Storrs that weekend, the schedule will be released. They are hoping to release the schedule in the next couple of weeks.

Coach Penders did provide an outline for the non conference weekend games prior to the start of Big East Play. This is what I think I heard:

1st weekend - UConn playing in Tampa at USF. UConn will play the following teams that weekend:
USF
Louisville

4th and 5th weekend - spring break trip to southern California, starting with 3 games against Santa Barbara, and ending with with 3 games against Cal Baptist(?) think that is what I heard. During the midweek of that trip will include a game against UCLA, don't recall other teams that might have been mentioned.

Thanks dbmill for the info good stuff. If this holds I like the quality of the non-conf. schedule. At first glance wouldn't mind attending the opening Tampa series against 3 quality opponents. The UCSB trip also jumps out and that can be paired with the UCLA game. I did Cal last year (paired with a Vegas trip) and the weather is just too risky in SF area in Feb to try a repeat.

Reaction Score

USF
Louisville

Thanks for the update. As many of you recall, UConn beat USF in 10 innings, lost to Charlotte and beat Louisville at USF back in 2022 in Tampa. I was there for the Friday night game along with Aaron Judge and others against USF and plan on being there in 2024. Peterson had 13 strikeouts against USF and
Cooke got the win and Willis had the save. Dana I believe won it on an HR for his first game as a Husky.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom