Men - UConn Fall Ball 2023 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Men UConn Fall Ball 2023

Reaction Score
Nice to see fallball roster. To add to an earlier comment, I too have noticed a whole lot of lefty arms being on the roster, mainly thru transfers…Quinn had a great summer as well.

Quinn got a lot of attention in the summer ball thread this summer with Danbury, so his excellent summer is known to people who looked at that thread on this board. Guessing he very well might be one of the pitchers who get a look as a possible starting pitcher during fall ball.

Reaction Score
I’m not really sure where ur going with that lol but ok. Did Quinn not have an excellent summer?

Reaction Score

Tomorrow is UConn baseball's walk on tryouts for UConn students. Hope the weather holds up. It will be interesting to see if there are any additions to the UConn fall ball roster after this event.

Reaction Score
Quinn got a lot of attention in the summer ball thread this summer with Danbury, so his excellent summer is known to people who looked at that thread on this board. Guessing he very well might be one of the pitchers who get a look as a possible starting pitcher during fall ball.
I will preface by saying I have probably been a bigger fan of Quinn than almost anyone on this board over the last two years however while he did very well this summer it was not far of from his performance in the previous summer(also in the NECBL). I would caution to say that wood bat league stats in the summer are not always indicative of success in the spring. I can make a similar statement about Maddix Dalena, kid obviously needs to work on his swing with wood bat however that does not change the fact that the kids is a physically mature sophomore that can play.

Regarding Abadessa he added 4+ mph to his fastball since the spring and has been up to 96 as of late. Very explosive, I am predicting a huge step forward for him this year. I am also hoping for a step forward from Brini and Kron as well out of the sophomore class.

Lots of 23 and 24 year olds on this year's team. Broadhust will actually be turning 25 next month. I don't forsee a UConn team ever being this old ever again.

Starting Pitching was the big question mark going into last year, may not be the case this year. Cooke and S Quigley can probably be penciled in. Van Emon has pedigree of being last years D3 pitcher of the year. Sullivan, Ellisen, and Coe all have various degrees of success starting last year and all should be fighting for a spot in the rotation. Finnegan, Mach, and Welch all incoming transfers all have collegiate starting experience as well. Obviously whomever does not fill a starting position will need of importance out of the pen. Lots of lefty options out of the pen is a great thing.

Many quality returners this year, its going to be a dog fight for the freshmen to make the 35 man squad. Lots of pitching talent in that freshman class.

It will be fun to see these guys in game action soon.

Reaction Score
I will preface by saying I have probably been a bigger fan of Quinn than almost anyone on this board over the last two years however while he did very well this summer it was not far of from his performance in the previous summer(also in the NECBL). I would caution to say that wood bat league stats in the summer are not always indicative of success in the spring. I can make a similar statement about Maddix Dalena, kid obviously needs to work on his swing with wood bat however that does not change the fact that the kids is a physically mature sophomore that can play.

Regarding Abadessa he added 4+ mph to his fastball since the spring and has been up to 96 as of late. Very explosive, I am predicting a huge step forward for him this year. I am also hoping for a step forward from Brini and Kron as well out of the sophomore class.

Lots of 23 and 24 year olds on this year's team. Broadhust will actually be turning 25 next month. I don't forsee a UConn team ever being this old ever again.

Starting Pitching was the big question mark going into last year, may not be the case this year. Cooke and S Quigley can probably be penciled in. Van Emon has pedigree of being last years D3 pitcher of the year. Sullivan, Ellisen, and Coe all have various degrees of success starting last year and all should be fighting for a spot in the rotation. Finnegan, Mach, and Welch all incoming transfers all have collegiate starting experience as well. Obviously whomever does not fill a starting position will need of importance out of the pen. Lots of lefty options out of the pen is a great thing.

Many quality returners this year, its going to be a dog fight for the freshmen to make the 35 man squad. Lots of pitching talent in that freshman class.

An additional note on Maddix Dalena. I've mentioned before that he did not have a good summer with the bat with the Mystic Schooners. However, it should be noted that Mystic's home field this summer was Dodd Stadium in Norwich, a place where power hitters have a difficult time since home runs are not easy to come by at Dodd Stadium.

Reaction Score
I would say that the competition is wide open with only 2 guys having any success as starters in the uniform. Cooke was not good last year, Quigley was solid but far from dominant. For some guys mentioned, it is now or never, especially the juniors. Returnees struggled in midweek games and if you can’t come out and shove against midweek schools as an underclassman, you won’t have an impact on the program.
The upside, the lineup will score a bunch and play good D.

Reaction Score
Scanned the roster earlier today, some random thoughts:

1) Minick is listed at 6' 195; Daniels is also listed at 6'. Minick looks taller than 6' (agree with Paste04038 comments) and Daniels looks smaller than 6'. No way those 2 are the same height.
2) Rispoli 5'10 165 - liked how this kid looks just needs bulk. He needs to be putting on ~15lbs of muscle over the next year that should be his focus. Weight room.
3) Cookie was listed at 255 and last year 215. Typo? Now I know Cookie has a naturally big frame and all that but 255 can't be his optimal weight to pitch at this level. Must be a typo but I think the real # is somewhere between 215 and 255. Would rather see him closer to 215lb range given the injury history
4) Coe was listed at 260 and 256 last year but he looks much better now (trimmer). Perhaps I'm wrong.
5) Dalena listed 6'3" 218. He has sneaky good size he's a big guy. Very high on Dalena for 2024. Playing every day will help too assuming he's the starting 1B.
Regarding the weights on the fall roster, these are usually pretty accurate as they are taken in the weight room by the strength coach for fall strength/fitness testing and metrics.

Reaction Score

Another thing about having older playerslike this on the team. Unless they have a truly break out season, the less likely they are to get picked in the MLB draft. One of the big factors in getting picked is your potential for improvement, and in terms of potential, the younger the better.

Reaction Score
;ko

This is a good post. My comments:

1) Agree on wood bats 100%. I believe Daniels hit ~.270 in a very limited time this summer which was the highest Uconn player BA (I could be wrong). Nobody hit. For summer I don't care about stats (results) they are meaningless based on sample size as mentioned by dbmill. Summer is about working on improvements identified during the spring season (i.e. process). Hopefully, they execute those identified improvements and enter fall ball better than they exited the spring.

2) I like Brini and Kron. My honest take is if Morton could play CF (they had to move him back to LF and put Smitty in CF late last year) Kron/Brini would be serious contenders for playing time in the OF. Tough discussion, but I don't think they should have a long leash with Simmons (if he turns out to be a starter). They're carrying 6 OFs so it's a #'s game. Kron is very interesting because of his speed and Brini, while not looking like a prototypical OF, has skills. We'll see in 2 weeks the starting OF which will provide an early framework for what Penders is thinking. Also, I don't want to sell Shpur short I just haven't seen him at all to comment.

3) Pitching - they have 20 arms on the fall roster. Out of that funnel, a short-term goal (2024) is developing a staff that can consistently get guys out at the D1 level (i.e. live arms turned into successful pitchers). Long-term (25/26) it's developing a promising freshmen class that can significantly contribute. I do think Coe has an inside track of being a weekend starter unless Van Enom excels and wins the slot but agree with your comments. Ideally, I'd like to see Sully and/or Ellisen turn into quality mid-week options. Appears the depth/funnel is there this year, more so than last year. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. You can pop on the gun but have to get guys out at this level (develop movement/location). Interesting to see what happens. For 2024 I'd obviously like to see a staff with improved structure and defined roles which translates to success and stability.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
;ko

This is a good post. My comments:

1) Agree on wood bats 100%. I believe Daniels hit ~.270 in a very limited time this summer which was the highest Uconn player BA (I could be wrong). Nobody hit. For summer I don't care about stats (results) they are meaningless based on sample size as mentioned by dbmill. Summer is about working on improvements identified during the spring season (i.e. process). Hopefully, they execute those identified improvements and enter fall ball better than they exited the spring.

2) I like Brini and Kron. My honest take is if Morton could play CF (they had to move him back to LF and put Smitty in CF late last year) Kron/Brini would be serious contenders for playing time in the OF. Tough discussion, but I don't think they should have a long leash with Simmons (if he turns out to be a starter). They're carrying 6 OFs so it's a #'s game. Kron is very interesting because of his speed and Brini, while not looking like a prototypical OF, has skills. We'll see in 2 weeks the starting OF which will provide an early framework for what Penders is thinking. Also, I don't want to sell Shpur short I just haven't seen him at all to comment.

3) Pitching - they have 20 arms on the fall roster. Out of that funnel, a short-term goal (2024) is developing a staff that can consistently get guys out at the D1 level (i.e. live arms turned into successful pitchers). Long-term (25/26) it's developing a promising freshmen class that can significantly contribute. I do think Coe has an inside track of being a weekend starter unless Van Enom excels and wins the slot but agree with your comments. Ideally, I'd like to see Sully and/or Ellisen turn into quality mid-week options. Appears the depth/funnel is there this year, more so than last year. The proof of the pudding is in the eating. You can pop on the gun but have to get guys out at this level (develop movement/location). Interesting to see what happens. For 2024 I'd obviously like to see a staff with improved structure and defined roles which translates to success and stability.

I quite like TC Simmons. I'm inclined to think if he is healthy that his offense would also be productive, and that he would certainly get the first call in getting playing time in CF. But if he doesn't hit, there will be other players looking to get playing time.

I've mentioned before that I watched Drew Kron play summer ball in Norwich. Love his defense in CF, has good speed, and he seems to have good base running instincts. If his bat and offense is at all productive, he could end up being quite a player at UConn.

I saw Shpur play a few games with the Mystic Schooners, but I have to say he didn't make an impression on me, positive or negative. We'll have to see how he performs in fall ball.

UConn has 26 pitchers on the fall ball roster, plus a couple more freshmen position players (Oates and Minick) who are also marked off as pitchers on the roster. Plenty of arms for the UConn coaches to look at this fall, that is for sure. Seems to me at the beginning of fall ball it is very difficult to predict who will end up being starters, especially since no one clearly established themselves in that role last season.

I would think Garrett Coe is very likely to be effective whether he ends up being a starter, or a big guy out of the bullpen. It may be the question of whether he starts depends on how other potential starters perform, but I certainly expect Coe to get plenty of time on the mound, whether he ends up starting or coming out of the bullpen.

Reaction Score
I plan on being at The Doug on Friday. The main areas of focus will be the starting lineup, who gets playing time, and how the arms look.
Not too concerned with the results as Avery Point isn't a D1 team. LIU will be a bit more results-focused but only a bit. Will post trip report.

Reaction Score
I plan on being at The Doug on Friday. The main areas of focus will be the starting lineup, who gets playing time, and how the arms look.
Not too concerned with the results as Avery Point isn't a D1 team. LIU will be a bit more results-focused but only a bit. Will post trip report.

I plan on being at the exhibition game on Friday as well. From what I've seen from exhibition games in previous years, the starting lineup in these games does give a pretty good indication of who will start in the spring season. Also interested to see who the starting pitchers are in these preseason games as well.

Reaction Score
I plan on being at the exhibition game on Friday as well. From what I've seen from exhibition games in previous years, the starting lineup in these games does give a pretty good indication of who will start in the spring season. Also interested to see who the starting pitchers are in these preseason games as well.

Any idea when the early schedule will be disclosed?
Early schedule - do you mean 2024? Or fall? If fall, it's posted. Fall roster posted but appears to be only returning players at present.
2024 schedule usually posted in late October if I remember correctly.

Reaction Score
Early schedule - do you mean 2024? Or fall? If fall, it's posted. Fall roster posted but appears to be only returning players at present.
I should have been clearer. 2024 is the schedule that I am concerned about.

Reaction Score
Any idea when the early schedule will be disclosed?
Yep late October timeframe.

My wife and I have been going to the UConn baseball Alumni Game for a number of years. A preliminary spring schedule is almost always available at that event. Of course, in the past the Alumni Game was held in late September, the Alumni Game this year is in mid October.

Reaction Score

The fall ball roster has not yet been posted on the UConn Athletics website. As you know, paper copies of the fall roster were available at Scout Day, and it included incoming freshmen and transfers.

Reaction Score
The fall ball roster has not yet been posted on the UConn Athletics website. As you know, paper copies of the fall roster were available at Scout Day, and it included incoming freshmen and transfers.
Has been posted but only with returning players. Bios updated ,etc. however, no new additions that should be coming soon.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom