The Jersey says USA, not UCONN...... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Jersey says USA, not UCONN......

Status
Not open for further replies.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
A major problem with conversations on chatboards, twitter, and the internet in general is that it privileges the less well-informed and people with axes to grind. In any other social media, they might be more readily discounted. In many ways net conversations promotes divisiveness. Compromise and nuance are often lost in the stampede to make a point, however outrageous. I find it better to balance whatever I read on the net with real action, serious analysis, and face to face conversations. And I'm trying to limit the time I spend in general with my head in the box, so to speak.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I can understand Geno may have some infulence on the players chosen especially UConn players. Hey Sue is the best point guard in WBB. Diana is the best player in WBB. If you think not then why did that Russia WBB owner pay them so much money????? He thinks so too and Im sure before spending all that money he had consultants. Tina is great and if not the best one of the best post players in WBB. One think that is very important when fielding a team. Getting people together who can play together. Im sure there was alot of talk behind closed doors on who was a good player but not wanted on the team. You need team players, who get along. One bad attitude can not be tolerated. I suspect there were alot of conversations about why and why not a player should be on the team. Thats what the committee does. Genos input as a coach is important but the final decision is made by the committee. Lets face it. Geno develops players on both sides of the ball. Those fans who are crying that their picks didnt make the team, I must ask would your pick be happy sitting the bench. Diana and Sue are going to get alot of minutes. They play great together and know what to do, they dont make many mistakes, theyre coaches on the floor. Would another guard be happy playing behind them? If not then that could create a bad attitude which Team USA dosnt need. Bottom line and I can understand people being upset there are so many Uconn players on the team. however there is a fine line with those chosen at the end and those not chosen at the end. Playing together may be the decieding point.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Let's see - some of your Twitter followers are irrationally pigheaded, juvenile and ignorant. Why on earth would you care what these people think?
I was kinda thinking the same thing. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I can understand Geno may have some infulence on the players chosen especially UConn players. Hey Sue is the best point guard in WBB. Diana is the best player in WBB. If you think not then why did that Russia WBB owner pay them so much money????? He thinks so too and Im sure before spending all that money he had consultants. Tina is great and if not the best one of the best post players in WBB. One think that is very important when fielding a team. Getting people together who can play together. Im sure there was alot of talk behind closed doors on who was a good player but not wanted on the team. You need team players, who get along. One bad attitude can not be tolerated. I suspect there were alot of conversations about why and why not a player should be on the team. Thats what the committee does. Genos input as a coach is important but the final decision is made by the committee. Lets face it. Geno develops players on both sides of the ball. Those fans who are crying that their picks didnt make the team, I must ask would your pick be happy sitting the bench. Diana and Sue are going to get alot of minutes. They play great together and know what to do, they dont make many mistakes, theyre coaches on the floor. Would another guard be happy playing behind them? If not then that could create a bad attitude which Team USA dosnt need. Bottom line and I can understand people being upset there are so many Uconn players on the team. however there is a fine line with those chosen at the end and those not chosen at the end. Playing together may be the decieding point.

I don't think there is anyone who would doubt the inclusion of the players you're mentioning. At the same time I think you're underestimating the maturity and ability to be "team players" of others that were in contention. Everyone considered has a history with USA basketball, although some less than others. Four of the UConn players were no brainers, the fifth has Olympic/World gold and just came off a resurgent WNBA season, the last was a replacement and was still a member of the last World Championship team. There is no one that doesn't belong on the team on the team. There are no glaring omission that can't be explained ex. Cappie. The only player currently that I think should be considered as an alternate if an injury were to occur is N. Ogwumike. Even her exclusion is justified since the team was selected prior to her WNBA season when she's proven she's legit on the professional level. The truth is you could probably replace a third of the team and have it still be totally justifiable with the same eventual outcome and cohesion.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't think there is anyone who would doubt the inclusion of the players you're mentioning. At the same time I think you're underestimating the maturity and ability to be "team players" of others that were in contention. Everyone considered has a history with USA basketball, although some less than others. Four of the UConn players were no brainers, the fifth has Olympic/World gold and just came off a resurgent WNBA season, the last was a replacement and was still a member of the last World Championship team. There is no one that doesn't belong on the team on the team. There are no glaring omission that can't be explained ex. Cappie. The only player currently that I think should be considered as an alternate if an injury were to occur is N. Ogwumike. Even her exclusion is justified since the team was selected prior to her WNBA season when she's proven she's legit on the professional level. The truth is you could probably replace a third of the team and have it still be totally justifiable with the same eventual outcome and cohesion.
I'd take it a step further - there are no glaring additions (or deletions) that should have been made on the team either. It's been said over and over again (not saying this to you or anyone else on the board, but to the whiners), Geno does NOT PICK THE TEAM. He, and the rest of the coaches, have input. But the committee decides.

Nneka was never part of the original pool therefore she wasn't considered. Based on how players are doing this year in the WNBA, you could argue that Lawson, Langhorne, Young, and I'm not sure who else, should be considered for the team (were there an injury of some kind), not Nneka.

No offense to Nneka, but her numbers aren't nearly as good as the 3 I just listed. In 2 years, for the world team, I'm sure Nneka will be in the pool of players to be considered. I love her game and energy and don't doubt she'd be a terrific addition and team player. But she simply lacks experience, something Jones and Cash have in spades. Additionally she lacks an outside game. She has no 3-point shot and at 6'2", is smaller than any of the other "4's" on the team. She needs to expand her game further...

Additionally, she lacks something that is unique - and that's a 6'8" frame, which is why the committee wanted Griner. Nneka's turn will come.

Anyway, it's the USA. I can't stand Lebron or the fact that Coach K is the men's coach, but I'll still be rooting for the men's team to win gold as well. But that's just me.

Reaction Score
Some people treat the Olympics like its a political choice: "I won't get behind anyone who is a Republican/Democrat/Independent . . ."

And those tend to be some of the most frustrated, angry people around.

Go USA!!!!

Reaction Score
I'd take it a step further - there are no glaring additions (or deletions) that should have been made on the team either. It's been said over and over again (not saying this to you or anyone else on the board, but to the whiners), Geno does NOT PICK THE TEAM. He, and the rest of the coaches, have input. But the committee decides.

Nneka was never part of the original pool therefore she wasn't considered. Based on how players are doing this year in the WNBA, you could argue that Lawson, Langhorne, Young, and I'm not sure who else, should be considered for the team (were there an injury of some kind), not Nneka.

No offense to Nneka, but her numbers aren't nearly as good as the 3 I just listed. In 2 years, for the world team, I'm sure Nneka will be in the pool of players to be considered. I love her game and energy and don't doubt she'd be a terrific addition and team player. But she simply lacks experience, something Jones and Cash have in spades. Additionally she lacks an outside game. She has no 3-point shot and at 6'2", is smaller than any of the other "4's" on the team. She needs to expand her game further...

Additionally, she lacks something that is unique - and that's a 6'8" frame, which is why the committee wanted Griner. Nneka's turn will come.

Anyway, it's the USA. I can't stand Lebron or the fact that Coach K is the men's coach, but I'll still be rooting for the men's team to win gold as well. But that's just me.

I agree Lawson could be added because you can never have enough guards. Langhorne and Young over Nneka? No way. Nneka has expanded her game for an outside shot, quite a lot. Just not the 3, yet. Being only 6'2" matters little when you can out jump others players and have better instinct for the ball, including Griner. I understand why she is not on the team this year and have no doubt she will be on the 2016 and 2020 teams, with her sister.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
I agree Lawson could be added because you can never have enough guards. Langhorne and Young over Nneka? No way. Nneka has expanded her game for an outside shot, quite a lot. Just not the 3, yet. Being only 6'2" matters little when you can out jump others players and have better instinct for the ball, including Griner. I understand why she is not on the team this year and have no doubt she will be on the 2016 and 2020 teams, with her sister.

Along with EDD. :D

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score

Rookies are usually not part of the original pool, so that doesn't apply. Parker was part of the original pool in 2008, but that's because she was selected to play with the National team while she was still in college. Fowles was not part of the original pool, but she was selected to the National team as a rookie. Nneka's case should have been similar to Fowles. There are WNBA coaches that have publically stated that Nneka should have been included. The rationale is that the top young players need to be developed for the future years. These young players will also accept the role of being the understudy players that will come off the bench behind the more experienced players and they won't complain about lack of playing time, as what was suggested earlier in this thread. Typically, the older players do not make the Olympic team for a first time around, because the committee places more importance on getting the younger players some experience.

You stated that Nneka's numbers aren't nearly as good as some of those others, but Maya's aren't either. Nneka's numbers are better. I have no problem with Maya being on the team because she is part of that youth. Using her numbers as an argument would not favor her being on the team. Maya's the future, as is Nneka. The next go around, it's quite possible that Sue, DT, Catchings, Cash, Jones, Augustus, and Whelan all may be past their prime for the next Olympics. That leaves 5 returning players the next time around, which means lack of experience for the next team. Typically, they do a better job of balancing the team from very experienced players to players with little experience to players with no experience.

As for Nneka having something unique, she does. Nneka is a relentless worker with a nose for the ball. As a rookie, she's in the top 10 in the league with her overall numbers, statiscally speaking. No player from this class or even last year's class is in that group.

Reaction Score
Well put, I totally agree. Everything is done by Committee, but I'm sure Geno being the Coach factors in. Theres a lot of people who want him to fail, just so they cant point the finger. I've seen several tweets RT'd that the criteria on making the USA Squad is to be a UConn Alum. When Geno is done with USA Coaching, a lot of ppl will be happy. Lol

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
. I've seen several tweets RT'd that the criteria on making the USA Squad is to be a UConn Alum.

They say that like it's a BAD thing -- clearly it's a GOOD thing: Go to UConn, you're good enough to play in the Olympics. 'Cause it's not like Sue and Swin and Diana and Maya have won anything since their time at the Olympics... I mean, just look at their resume'! Lol

Reaction Score
Rookies are usually not part of the original pool, so that doesn't apply. Parker was part of the original pool in 2008, but that's because she was selected to play with the National team while she was still in college. Fowles was not part of the original pool, but she was selected to the National team as a rookie. Nneka's case should have been similar to Fowles. There are WNBA coaches that have publically stated that Nneka should have been included. The rationale is that the top young players need to be developed for the future years. These young players will also accept the role of being the understudy players that will come off the bench behind the more experienced players and they won't complain about lack of playing time, as what was suggested earlier in this thread. Typically, the older players do not make the Olympic team for a first time around, because the committee places more importance on getting the younger players some experience.

You stated that Nneka's numbers aren't nearly as good as some of those others, but Maya's aren't either. Nneka's numbers are better. I have no problem with Maya being on the team because she is part of that youth. Using her numbers as an argument would not favor her being on the team. Maya's the future, as is Nneka. The next go around, it's quite possible that Sue, DT, Catchings, Cash, Jones, Augustus, and Whelan all may be past their prime for the next Olympics. That leaves 5 returning players the next time around, which means lack of experience for the next team. Typically, they do a better job of balancing the team from very experienced players to players with little experience to players with no experience.

As for Nneka having something unique, she does. Nneka is a relentless worker with a nose for the ball. As a rookie, she's in the top 10 in the league with her overall numbers, statiscally speaking. No player from this class or even last year's class is in that group.

excellent post.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

actually you are wrong. it's always a good idea to check your facts before posting. Maya has scored more points (14.8) in less minutes (28.2) than Nneka (14.1 in 28.9). Additionally Maya has a much better FT% (over 90%) and a much better 3 point shooting % (Nneka is 0). Maya is a wing, Nneka is a forward.

Name a wing who has better numbers than Maya who was left off the team. Bottom line, it's like arguing Hillary should have been elected president over McCain. It's a pointless argument because she wasn't even in the running. Neither was Nneka.

As a side note, i know Prince is injured, but why hasn't she ever been in the pool for the US National team?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Bottom line, it's like arguing Hillary should have been elected president over McCain. It's a pointless argument because she wasn't even in the running. Neither was Nneka.
Exactly.

Reaction Score
actually you are wrong. it's always a good idea to check your facts before posting. Maya has scored more points (14.8) in less minutes (28.2) than Nneka (14.1 in 28.9). Additionally Maya has a much better FT% (over 90%) and a much better 3 point shooting % (Nneka is 0). Maya is a wing, Nneka is a forward.

Name a wing who has better numbers than Maya who was left off the team. Bottom line, it's like arguing Hillary should have been elected president over McCain. It's a pointless argument because she wasn't even in the running. Neither was Nneka.

As a side note, i know Prince is injured, but why hasn't she ever been in the pool for the US National team?

It's not the pt to argue who is shooting better, though very close in FG and FTs. Of course Maya will score more because she shoots the 3 (at the 3). The pt he was making that Maya was the best young talent last year and is Nneka this year. She should have been in the pool.

Reaction Score
Certainly, Geno advocated for Asjha, but he wasn't responsible for making that selection, was he?

At any rate, the same six UConn players were on the 2010 team. How is this different?
Geno really advocated for Brittany Griner! It is (he taught them well, and they had great talent to start with) and isn't (he doesn't get to pick anyone) his fault so many ex-husky's are on the team. People are foolish too not watch for these reason. If you think the quality of ball isn't good don't watch. Notice how ex Uconn and Tenn players actually pass the ball to each other. From these fans view it must boggle the mind.

Reaction Score
Certainly, Geno advocated for Asjha, but he wasn't responsible for making that selection, was he?

At any rate, the same six UConn players were on the 2010 team. How is this different?
He didn't have to advocate for Asjha, she had just been named MVP of Europe basketball. Hard for some to swallow that she earned it all by her self.

Sakibomb25

Yamasaki Let the Good Times Roll
Reaction Score
People just need to get a life. Once a player graduates, she represents the USA and that's all I need to know. People who want the US to lose because it has "too" many UConn players should be ashamed of themselves.

Reaction Score
People just need to get a life. Once a player graduates, she represents the USA and that's all I need to know. People who want the US to lose because it has "too" many UConn players should be ashamed of themselves.

agree and the same with the coach- he/she represents the USA, not their school.

Reaction Score
Let me be concise. Some of us are wondering WHY she wasn't even in the running.

Cause she didn't go to UConn and didn't deserve it. There. Satisfied?

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman