The Jersey says USA, not UCONN...... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Jersey says USA, not UCONN......

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The posters are getting a bit testy. Keep it civil people.

Here is an article pertaining to players selected for USA basketball. The author of this article thinks that Swin Cash and Aisha Jones should not be on the team. The author thinks that Cappie Poindexter and Neka Ogwumike should have their roster spots. Click link below and enjoy.
http://hoopism.blogspot.com/

The author also notes that their are politics involved. He/she also points out that Neka and Cappie have better statistics than Swin and Aisha, plus fresher younger legs. Interesting.

OK, so I could have a blog that takes a different point of view and since that blogger is unidentified, I can assert that I'm better qualified to offer an opinion on this. Especially since that author thinks politics are involved. That is an idiotic opinion, so why you are posting that "article" is unclear.

Reaction Score
She told USA Basketball she was too tired to play on the WC team, then went to NYC. Just Googled Cappie and found that tidbit that I'd forgotten in a Mechelle voepel article.

It was a bad move for Cappie if she wanted to play. But if she didn't, and wants a career in fashion more, then more power to her. No one takes off of the WC team, not even the most experienced veterans, so for Cappie to do it looked very bad.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
OK, so I could have a blog that takes a different point of view and since that blogger is unidentified, I can assert that I'm better qualified to offer an opinion on this. Especially since that author thinks politics are involved. That is an idiotic opinion, so why you are posting that "article" is unclear.

The blogger is Sue Favor. Here's how she describes herself: "Sue Favor is a Los Angeles Unified School District high school teacher, coach, avid basketball fan, athlete and writer of a women's basketball ..."

So, just as you said. Her blog is not really all that interesting as she does nothing but glom on to comments made by internet board posters.

Reaction Score
OK...you can get over your bitterness about all of the awards that Nneka didn't win. Nneka is an exceptional player and athlete and I admire your dogged determination to say that she is the better player, despite the fact that BG won every award possible in which people's opinions counted and votes were tabulated. Nneka is no longer in college so let's start comparing her to her peers, not a college player. Her stats are no better than those of another Baylor player, Sophia Young.

I'm not bitter, at all. :) I love Nneka and our USA team. If I had the time and money, I'd be London cheering them on. Yeah, BG won every award, but not everyone agreed with it. Just like I'm sure you don't agree with me that Nneka is better than Young. :)

Reaction Score
She did not have a consistent jump shot as a sophomore if the standard is an Olympic quality post player. What she did in one game is again irrelevant. I saw Nneka play over a dozen games as a sophomore. Again the standard is even higher for someone with no experience playing at the highest levels. Is Nneka talented enough to be on this this Olympic team? Yes, but that is different from deserving to be on it.

Then you missed a lot of her games. Go back and watch the tape vs. UConn her soph year. You saying she didn't and does not have a jump shot, is flat out wrong.

Reaction Score

hah. as my mother often says, 'there are politics in everything". Read "Venus to the Hoop. "

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
The blogger is Sue Favor. Here's how she describes herself: "Sue Favor is a Los Angeles Unified School District high school teacher, coach, avid basketball fan, athlete and writer of a women's basketball ..."

So, just as you said. Her blog is not really all that interesting as she does nothing but glom on to comments made by internet board posters.

Not only is her blog not interesting, but she appears to be ignorant of the facts concerning how the team is put together, since she thinks politics were involved, and since she does not even know that Nneka was not in the pool. Why anyone would read that drivel/blog is a mystery to me.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The posters are getting a bit testy. Keep it civil people.

Here is an article pertaining to players selected for USA basketball. The author of this article thinks that Swin Cash and Aisha Jones should not be on the team. The author thinks that Cappie Poindexter and Neka Ogwumike should have their roster spots. Click link below and enjoy.
http://hoopism.blogspot.com/

The author also notes that their are politics involved. He/she also points out that Neka and Cappie have better statistics than Swin and Aisha, plus fresher younger legs. Interesting.

His opinion carries no weight with me unless he compares Sophia Young's stats, as well. She is in the top 10 in the WNBA in PPG and RBG. Her FG% is better than that of Pondexter and Nneka, as well as every member of the Olympic team other than Fowles.

However, with that said, Jones and Cash simply have experience with this team. Yes, the UCONN connection helped them make the team as the team had a short time to prepare and knowing Geno and having played with the rest of the national team is something that cannot be learned overnight. It was simply wise to have these two on the team and was the right decision.

Reaction Score
She did not have a consistent jump shot as a sophomore if the standard is an Olympic quality post player. What she did in one game is again irrelevant. I saw Nneka play over a dozen games as a sophomore. Again the standard is even higher for someone with no experience playing at the highest levels. Is Nneka talented enough to be on this this Olympic team? Yes, but that is different from deserving to be on it.

it was more than one game, for many seasons, including her WNBA season. Again, I do know that she was NOT in the running for this team, but wonder why? It's the catholic upbringing in me (recovering catholic, that is). I want to know why, and not from people on a message board. :)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm not bitter, at all. :) I love Nneka and our USA team. If I had the time and money, I'd be London cheering them on. Yeah, BG won every award, but not everyone agreed with it. Just like I'm sure you don't agree with me that Nneka is better than Young. :)

I think that Nneka will be better than Young...but the stats don't prove it to be true, yet. She has basically the same production so that just doesn't put her ahead of Young at this time. Nneka has CRAZY athletic ability that I'm not sure that there is another player in the WNBA who has the same ability. She truly is a joy to watch with her never ending energy.

Reaction Score
I think that Nneka will be better than Young...but the stats don't prove it to be true, yet. She has basically the same production so that just doesn't put her ahead of Young at this time. Nneka has CRAZY athletic ability that I'm not sure that there is another player in the WNBA who has the same ability. She truly is a joy to watch with her never ending energy.

I agree with most of your post. :)

off to dinner, see you guys later.

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
She told USA Basketball she was too tired to play on the WC team, then went to NYC. Just Googled Cappie and found that tidbit that I'd forgotten in a Mechelle voepel article.

Sorry but playing basketball is taxing on the body. Watching Fashion Week isn't. So I don't see why it raised eyebrows that she stayed in NY to watch Fashion week. It's not like she was playing basketball elsewhere. :rolleyes:

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Sorry but playing basketball is taxing on the body. Watching Fashion Week isn't. So I don't see why it raised eyebrows that she stayed in NY to watch Fashion week. It's not like she was playing basketball elsewhere. :rolleyes:

So you think the committee should have just ignored the fact that she chose Fashion Week over the National team that week?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Rookies are usually not part of the original pool, so that doesn't apply. Parker was part of the original pool in 2008, but that's because she was selected to play with the National team while she was still in college. Fowles was not part of the original pool, but she was selected to the National team as a rookie. Nneka's case should have been similar to Fowles. There are WNBA coaches that have publically stated that Nneka should have been included. The rationale is that the top young players need to be developed for the future years. These young players will also accept the role of being the understudy players that will come off the bench behind the more experienced players and they won't complain about lack of playing time, as what was suggested earlier in this thread. Typically, the older players do not make the Olympic team for a first time around, because the committee places more importance on getting the younger players some experience.

You stated that Nneka's numbers aren't nearly as good as some of those others, but Maya's aren't either. Nneka's numbers are better. I have no problem with Maya being on the team because she is part of that youth. Using her numbers as an argument would not favor her being on the team. Maya's the future, as is Nneka. The next go around, it's quite possible that Sue, DT, Catchings, Cash, Jones, Augustus, and Whelan all may be past their prime for the next Olympics. That leaves 5 returning players the next time around, which means lack of experience for the next team. Typically, they do a better job of balancing the team from very experienced players to players with little experience to players with no experience.

As for Nneka having something unique, she does. Nneka is a relentless worker with a nose for the ball. As a rookie, she's in the top 10 in the league with her overall numbers, statiscally speaking. No player from this class or even last year's class is in that group.

Fowles was part of the original pool in 2007. She was selected to the National team pool in the spring of '07, her Junior year at LSU, more than a year before the 2008 Olympics.. She came into the pool with Parker, C. Paris, and Jess Davenport. This time around, Griner and 'Sloot were added in spring of 2011, again more than 1 year before the Olympics. Sophia Young was the lone late addition to the pool this past January, IIRC. Shortly after that, in February, the Committee was already starting to make the first round of cuts.

So again, the real question should be: Why didn't Nneka make the pool in spring 2011 after her Junior season? She was clearly a great collegian at that time but apparently not impressive enough to be added at the same time as Griner and 'Sloot. That was probably the real opportunity missed; everybody else except Sophia Young was already in the pool. So fast forward to Nneka's senior season. By the time Young was added--which looks like about the final timeframe that the Committee considered adding players before cuts began--how many more big/notable games did Stanford have that might have caught the Committee's attention? They had a good win at Texas, but Nneka was dinged up and I don't believe she played. She played well and was the Cardinal's leading scorer with 22 at UCONN, but KML had 25 and Stanford lost the game. Then around the holidays she goes absolutely NUTS at home against Tennessee. 40+ points and a gazillion rebounds. Definitely a statement game for the ages that served notice she was taking it to another level. But by that point in her senior season (January) that was the only game against a big-name program that really stood out (and boy did it stand out...) that they hadn't already seen in spring 2011. So, the committee decided to take a pass when they could have added her along with Sophia Young. And in January 2012 the pool already had 12 players who could be labelled forwards or combo forwards. Nneka would have made it 13. At its largest, the 2007-08 pool had 11. Maybe the Committee was close to talking her but thought by adding Young they had added another new, athletic forward to the mix and that was enough. I would have to think they took a hard look at Nneka, not just for talent but also for the youth movement that you rightly identify as a necessary ingredient in the larger process.

For whatever reason, they didn't, and it may have been largely due to the fact that after she wasn't picked for the pool in spring 2011, there were not--IIRC--any opportunities for her to scrimmage or play against them or against other pro talent like she did as part of a Select team in 2010 before the WC. That team, and the national pool team, played and scrimmaged against each other, and later the national pool team had its own scrimmages internally as cuts progressed. I think that final cuts for the 2010 WC team didn't occur until almost right before the Championships began in September. In contrast, Sophia Young had already been an WNBA all-star and was looking good in her 2011 WNBA season. She may also have had a partial overseas season under her belt by the end of 2011. If there were any games in 2011 between the national pool team and a Select team that included collegians, I don't remember any. (Not saying there weren't.) Anyway, final cuts for this Olympic team were made way in advance, unlike the WC team.

To repeat what I said in another post, I think Nneka is clearly one of a handful of people who could be put on this team right now, if the process were set up that way, and play great ball for Team USA. IMO she is at that level, and she has the youth element on her side. (Lawson is another who could easily play great ball for us right now. She's having a great year and could suit up tomorrow.) But too many people are mixing what they've seen in this WNBA season--or in Nneka's case, all games after December 2011--and basing their opinions on that in addition to what they saw earlier in her college career. The Committee had a schedule that appears to show January 2012 was the last opportunity to get added. Cuts began thereafter. Certainly there were people in 2011 and early 2012, particularly after the Tennessee game, who saw Nneka and said "She should be on that team." Not an unreasonable position AT ALL. But for reasons above, mostly having to do with timing, it didn't happen. One last unfortunate reason for her 2011 omission may well have been the huge amount of press Griner was getting and continues to get, which sucked most of the air out of the room when it came to collegians on the team, even though 'Sloot broke through the noise.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
An interesting thought on Griner. I think that had she been announced as part of the team initially she would probably have gone to the Olympics. When the committee did not make it clear that they REALLY wanted her I think that she decided that it was OK to make the decision that she did and nobody would be disappointed. I think that all along she wanted to stay home but that decision by the committee to name the last player at a later date gave her the freedom to make the decision that she did. And to be honest, there was a part of me that was pleased with her decision. If they committee really wanted her they should have included her up front.

I have another theory and why she didn't go but it is strictly conjecture on my part and nothing that I would ever share other than with friends. No, it has nothing to do with gender testing.

Reaction Score
Fowles was part of the original pool in 2007. She was selected to the National team pool in the spring of '07, her Junior year at LSU, more than a year before the 2008 Olympics.. She came into the pool with Parker, C. Paris, and Jess Davenport. This time around, Griner and 'Sloot were added in spring of 2011, again more than 1 year before the Olympics. Sophia Young was the lone late addition to the pool this past January, IIRC. Shortly after that, in February, the Committee was already starting to make the first round of cuts.

So again, the real question should be: Why didn't Nneka make the pool in spring 2011 after her Junior season? She was clearly a great collegian at that time but apparently not impressive enough to be added at the same time as Griner and 'Sloot. That was probably the real opportunity missed; everybody else except Sophia Young was already in the pool. So fast forward to Nneka's senior season. By the time Young was added--which looks like about the final timeframe that the Committee considered adding players before cuts began--how many more big/notable games did Stanford have that might have caught the Committee's attention? They had a good win at Texas, but Nneka was dinged up and I don't believe she played. She played well and was the Cardinal's leading scorer with 22 at UCONN, but KML had 25 and Stanford lost the game. Then around the holidays she goes absolutely NUTS at home against Tennessee. 40+ points and a gazillion rebounds. Definitely a statement game for the ages that served notice she was taking it to another level. But by that point in her senior season (January) that was the only game against a big-name program that really stood out (and boy did it stand out...) that they hadn't already seen in spring 2011. So, the committee decided to take a pass when they could have added her along with Sophia Young. And in January 2012 the pool already had 12 players who could be labelled forwards or combo forwards. Nneka would have made it 13. At its largest, the 2007-08 pool had 11. Maybe the Committee was close to talking her but thought by adding Young they had added another new, athletic forward to the mix and that was enough. I would have to think they took a hard look at Nneka, not just for talent but also for the youth movement that you rightly identify as a necessary ingredient in the larger process.

For whatever reason, they didn't, and it may have been largely due to the fact that after she wasn't picked for the pool in spring 2011, there were not--IIRC--any opportunities for her to scrimmage or play against them or against other pro talent like she did as part of a Select team in 2010 before the WC. That team, and the national pool team, played and scrimmaged against each other, and later the national pool team had its own scrimmages internally as cuts progressed. I think that final cuts for the 2010 WC team didn't occur until almost right before the Championships began in September. In contrast, Sophia Young had already been an WNBA all-star and was looking good in her 2011 WNBA season. She may also have had a partial overseas season under her belt by the end of 2011. If there were any games in 2011 between the national pool team and a Select team that included collegians, I don't remember any. (Not saying there weren't.) Anyway, final cuts for this Olympic team were made way in advance, unlike the WC team.

To repeat what I said in another post, I think Nneka is clearly one of a handful of people who could be put on this team right now, if the process were set up that way, and play great ball for Team USA. IMO she is at that level, and she has the youth element on her side. (Lawson is another who could easily play great ball for us right now. She's having a great year and could suit up tomorrow.) But too many people are mixing what they've seen in this WNBA season--or in Nneka's case, all games after December 2011--and basing their opinions on that in addition to what they saw earlier in her college career. The Committee had a schedule that appears to show January 2012 was the last opportunity to get added. Cuts began thereafter. Certainly there were people in 2011 and early 2012, particularly after the Tennessee game, who saw Nneka and said "She should be on that team." Not an unreasonable position AT ALL. But for reasons above, mostly having to do with timing, it didn't happen. One last unfortunate reason for her 2011 omission may well have been the huge amount of press Griner was getting and continues to get, which sucked most of the air out of the room when it came to collegians on the team, even though 'Sloot broke through the noise.

Excellent post VAMike, but I don't buy that the committee (which Tara has influence- Renee Brown who is on the committee started her career at Stanford) had little knowledge about Nneka's Jr or Sr year. Remember, she went off on OU in F4 semi final game for 42 or 44 pts. And the TN game was in Dec 2011 at Maples. Honestly, one has to wonder if the PAC 12 and west coast ball hurt her, which has proven to be total BS given how she has played in the WNBA. I think the committee would have added her in the pool IF they didn't have a log jam at the posts AND if they really saw her talent and potential.The media and press on Griner out shadowed Nneka, which is too bad. Any objective viewer in Denver could see Nneka could hang with Bri, and beat her off the dribble, a lot.

Reaction Score
And to add if people don't think the selection process is political, then I have some swamp land in FL I'd like to sell ya. Read Venus to the Hoop.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Honestly, if there's a fan base that deserves a little bitterness, it's the Stanford fans. There have been some outstanding players that haven't gotten the press or awards they might not deserve, mostly because of UConn - Nicole Powell, Candice Wiggins and now Nneka Ogwumike come to mind.

Reaction Score
People just need to get a life. Once a player graduates, she represents the USA and that's all I need to know. People who want the US to lose because it has "too" many UConn players should be ashamed of themselves.

The problem is that they are so full of hate for Geno and UCONN that they don't care.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
An interesting thought on Griner. I think that had she been announced as part of the team initially she would probably have gone to the Olympics. When the committee did not make it clear that they REALLY wanted her I think that she decided that it was OK to make the decision that she did and nobody would be disappointed. I think that all along she wanted to stay home but that decision by the committee to name the last player at a later date gave her the freedom to make the decision that she did. And to be honest, there was a part of me that was pleased with her decision. If they committee really wanted her they should have included her up front.

I have another theory and why she didn't go but it is strictly conjecture on my part and nothing that I would ever share other than with friends. No, it has nothing to do with gender testing.
You don't think there would have been conversations going on.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
If Nneka was a guard and played that position like she does the forward, she would probably be on the team. Team USA greatest strengths are wing and forward positions. Nneka didn't have enough Team USA experience compared against those that made the team to make the team this year. I'm sure she will be on the 2014 World Championship team.

I also believe that Team USA; not Geno; did give UConn players extra consideration as they are used to Geno's system and would be easier to integrate into a team. I guess I'm saying if the committee thought the players talents were equal (important), a little extra consideration was given to former UConn players. Team USA doesn't have a lot of time to put together a team, so it makes sense to select players that know the coaches system as long as the talent level is equal. Swin and Ashja may not have made the team if Geno wasn't the head coach. Even with that said, I'm not sure Nneka would have been selected either due to limited Team USA play.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again, I do know that she was NOT in the running for this team, but wonder why? It's the catholic upbringing in me (recovering catholic, that is).
Well that's not "again", that's an entirely different question than you have been asking. (i.e. her replacing Cash or Jones, being on the team). Whether she was added to the pool really doesn't have anything to do with Cash and Jones being on the team. They were already in the pool. You gotta get in the pool first, go to the tryouts before you can get picked for a NT team.

Now if you think Nneka should have been added to the pool, I would probably agree, she should have been. But since she was not, the rest of your arguments for her inclusion in the team are really pointless.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Ericsandiego started the "you should check your stats" comment to 'justavistor, so he was replying with his own stats.
not sure if the English escaped you but just's post basically said my stats were wrong. come on card, you are better than that.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not only is her blog not interesting, but she appears to be ignorant of the facts concerning how the team is put together, since she thinks politics were involved, and since she does not even know that Nneka was not in the pool. Why anyone would read that drivel/blog is a mystery to me.
Plus any moron can write a blog. I bet we have several BY'ers who have blogs (not that they are morons :))

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Addition to hoopism- she is also a huge Tenn fan.

My wish, go USA and lets get going early and not let any of these teams think they have a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom