The Jersey says USA, not UCONN...... | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Jersey says USA, not UCONN......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well that's not "again", that's an entirely different question than you have been asking. (i.e. her replacing Cash or Jones, being on the team). Whether she was added to the pool really doesn't have anything to do with Cash and Jones being on the team. They were already in the pool. You gotta get in the pool first, go to the tryouts before you can get picked for a NT team.

Now if you think Nneka should have been added to the pool, I would probably agree, she should have been. But since she was not, the rest of your arguments for her inclusion in the team are really pointless.

well, we are just talking the chicken/egg. I understand the process and know the players must be in the pool to be selected to final team. My comment about Nneka being better than some of the 4s was my opinion, not that she should replace them now because it's too late, obviously.

Reaction Score
not sure if the English escaped you but just's post basically said my stats were wrong. come on card, you are better than that.

I thought you said it first, that he should check his stats. I may have missed it, sorry.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Excellent post VAMike, but I don't buy that the committee (which Tara has influence- Renee Brown who is on the committee started her career at Stanford) had little knowledge about Nneka's Jr or Sr year. Remember, she went off on OU in F4 semi final game for 42 or 44 pts. And the TN game was in Dec 2011 at Maples. Honestly, one has to wonder if the PAC 12 and west coast ball hurt her, which has proven to be total BS given how she has played in the WNBA. I think the committee would have added her in the pool IF they didn't have a log jam at the posts AND if they really saw her talent and potential.The media and press on Griner out shadowed Nneka, which is too bad. Any objective viewer in Denver could see Nneka could hang with Bri, and beat her off the dribble, a lot.

Cardfan, I like to have facts before I debate, so I am just now getting back on this "beat her off the dribble, a lot" quote. I watched the replay of the Baylor/Stanford game. When matched up one-on-one against BG, Nneka made 4 of 11 shots, and two of those were from offensive rebounds after missing the initial shot. So, basically, Nneka made 2 shots when driving on BG. That may qualify as "a lot" in your book, but it doesn't in mine. The two that she did make were spectacular, which may have made it seem like more than it really was. I think you were looking through cardinal colored glasses.

For the record, Nneka was NEVER matched up one-on-one against BG. Tara had a great game plan to surround BG the way she did. I would like to have seen Nneka play BG one-on-one on defense but Tara knew that she didn't have a player that she could depend on to stop BG in single coverage.

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
I thought you said it first, that he should check his stats. I may have missed it, sorry.

You're correct. Eric stated first that I should check my stats. From my original post, I stated "As a rookie, she's in the top 10 in the league with her overall numbers." Notice that I said overall stats, not simply scoring stats. Eric compared only the pts. and shooting %. This in no way reflects their overall game. Efficiency is a better indicator of their overall performance. Points and shooting % alone does not present a good picture as to the value of a player. So while Eric's statistics were correct, they only reflected a small portion of the game.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You're correct. Eric stated first that I should check my stats. From my original post, I stated "As a rookie, she's in the top 10 in the league with her overall numbers." Notice that I said overall stats, not simply scoring stats. Eric compared only the pts. and shooting %. This in no way reflects their overall game. Efficiency is a better indicator of their overall performance. Points and shooting % alone does not present a good picture as to the value of a player. So while Eric's statistics were correct, they only reflected a small portion of the game.

I think that stat is a bunch of BS. I have looked at some games where a player played few minutes and had a good rating and had no points and no rebounds, yet a player who had lots of points and rebounds had a - rating. It simply was not a true measure of how each affected the game.

Reaction Score
Cardfan, I like to have facts before I debate, so I am just now getting back on this "beat her off the dribble, a lot" quote. I watched the replay of the Baylor/Stanford game. When matched up one-on-one against BG, Nneka made 4 of 11 shots, and two of those were from offensive rebounds after missing the initial shot. So, basically, Nneka made 2 shots when driving on BG. That may qualify as "a lot" in your book, but it doesn't in mine. The two that she did make were spectacular, which may have made it seem like more than it really was. I think you were looking through cardinal colored glasses.

For the record, Nneka was NEVER matched up one-on-one against BG. Tara had a great game plan to surround BG the way she did. I would like to have seen Nneka play BG one-on-one on defense but Tara knew that she didn't have a player that she could depend on to stop BG in single coverage.

nope, not looking thru cardinal glasses, Nneka beat Brit and Tara SHOULD have had Nneka do it more because it worked, and would have worked more.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
nope, not looking thru cardinal glasses, Nneka beat Brit and Tara SHOULD have had Nneka do it more because it worked, and would have worked more.

She made TWO shots off the dribble against BG. She missed a lot more shots against Griner than she made. Take away those two put-backs and she was 2 of 9 (22%). Can you seriously say that qualifies as beating her off the dribble "a lot?"

I think Tara's plan was better.

Reaction Score
She made TWO shots off the dribble against BG. She missed a lot more shots against Griner than she made. Take away those two put-backs and she was 2 of 9 (22%). Can you seriously say that qualifies as beating her off the dribble "a lot?"

I think Tara's plan was better.

Tara had a good team plan, but we didn't knock down open threes, but what I disagreed with, vehemently so, that Nneka was jacking up threes in the first half vs. attacking Griner, especially when Griner had 2 fouls.

She was beating her to the basket and could have done it more. Here's what Nneka said after the game:
http://www.gostanford.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/040112aaa.html

Afterward, Ogwumike wished she had been more aggressive.

"I was definitely psyching myself out in the first half," said Ogwumike, who likely will be the top pick in the WNBA draft on April 16. "In the second half, I just started attacking. I think it is mostly psychological. She has 200 more blocked shots than our whole team.

"We were too worried about her, but attacking her was not as hard as thought it would be. It comes down to knocking down shots."

Especially from beyond the 3-point line, where the Cardinal were just 2 of 17 for the night.

"They make things hard. They take you out of your normal thing," VanDerveer said. "It took us that long to get the floor organized. We had some nice open looks and didn't knock down shots."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom