The Jersey says USA, not UCONN...... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Jersey says USA, not UCONN......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've heard several of my Twitter followers say that they hope USA doesn't win Gold because Geno is the Coach and he favorites his former players. :(

Looks like your not gonna change any minds. Make the best of this opportunity. Now that you know it really bothers them keep bringing it up.

:D

Justavisitor

Unpopular Opinions
Reaction Score
actually you are wrong. it's always a good idea to check your facts before posting. Maya has scored more points (14.8) in less minutes (28.2) than Nneka (14.1 in 28.9). Additionally Maya has a much better FT% (over 90%) and a much better 3 point shooting % (Nneka is 0). Maya is a wing, Nneka is a forward.

Name a wing who has better numbers than Maya who was left off the team. Bottom line, it's like arguing Hillary should have been elected president over McCain. It's a pointless argument because she wasn't even in the running. Neither was Nneka.

As a side note, i know Prince is injured, but why hasn't she ever been in the pool for the US National team?

Actually, you should check your facts. You seem to only be concerned with offense, but basketball is played on both ends of the court. At the midway point of the season, Nneka is #10 in efficiency. They both play 28 mins. per game. Nneka is averaging 14.1 pts., 8 rebs., 1 assist, 1 block, and 1.6 steals. Maya is ranked #15 and averaging. 14.8 pts., 5 rebs, 3 assists, 1.2 steals, and .5 blocks. I stand by my original comment where I stated Nneka is the only player from the last 2 classes that is ranked in the top 10 statistically.

Wing player - Dewanna Bonner and Epiphany Prince (with that said, I never said Maya should not be on the team)

Guards - Cappie, Toliver, Kara

Forward - Sophia Young

Again, I never said Maya should not be on the team. You stated that statistically speaking Nneka shouldn't be. I am simply pointing out that her overall numbers, her impact on the game, is just as good if not better than Maya's. However, they are both phenomenal young players that represent the future of the league.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Can someone define this "efficiency" stat, please?

Reaction Score
I admit that I wish that Cappie was on the team, but saying that you wish that your country's national team doesn't win gold is just plain stupid. :rolleyes:
My point exactly

Reaction Score
You may be factually correct based on standards of your own choosing, but your choice of standards is poor. The efficiency statistic the NBA adopted is a bad statistic, and when applied to the WNBA as they have done it is even worse. I'm not sure how versed Eric is in statistics, but no one well versed in basketball stats would accept your argument based on Efficiency.

In addition arguing that a player deserves a spot based on WNBA statistics introduces a criteria that the committee choosing the players doesn't even consider. The national team is not and never has been a WNBA All-Star team. Nneka will get her chance and will almost certainly be on the 2014 team. Unfortunately for her it is not her time yet. If she had developed her jump shot sooner she may have been considered for the National team player pool in time for this Olympics.

Actually, you should check your facts. You seem to only be concerned with offense, but basketball is played on both ends of the court. At the midway point of the season, Nneka is #10 in efficiency. They both play 28 mins. per game. Nneka is averaging 14.1 pts., 8 rebs., 1 assist, 1 block, and 1.6 steals. Maya is ranked #15 and averaging. 14.8 pts., 5 rebs, 3 assists, 1.2 steals, and .5 blocks. I stand by my original comment where I stated Nneka is the only player from the last 2 classes that is ranked in the top 10 statistically.

Wing player - Dewanna Bonner and Epiphany Prince (with that said, I never said Maya should not be on the team)

Forward - Sophia Young

Again, I never said Maya should not be on the team. You stated that statistically speaking Nneka shouldn't be. I am simply pointing out that her overall numbers, her impact on the game, is just as good if not better than Maya's. However, they are both phenomenal young players that represent the future of the league.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

Forward - Sophia Young

You seem to think the USA National Team should be comprised of the 12 players with the best "efficiency" stat. Do you know what that stat represents?

Reaction Score
You may be factually correct based on standards of your own choosing, but your choice of standards is poor. The efficiency statistic the NBA adopted is a bad statistics, and when applied to the WNBA as they have done it is even worse. I'm not sure how versed Eric is in statistics, but no one well versed in basketball stats would accept your argument based on Efficiency.

In addition arguing that a player deserves a spot based on WNBA statistics introduces a criteria that the committee choosing the players doesn't even consider. The national team is not and never has been a WNBA All-Star game. Nneka will get her chance and will almost certainly be on the 2014 team. Unfortunately for her it is not her time yet. If she had developed her jump shot sooner she may have been considered for the National team player pool in time for this Olympics.
I had this same convo with someone the other day, glad Im not the only one who thinks so. A lot of ppl stated that she should be on the Squad based off her 20-21 rebound gm vs the Fever, I told them it takes more than that to make an Olympic Squad. But we'll see her in 2016 for sure.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
For those arguing for Nneka, let's compare her to Sophia Young, who actually WAS in the pool. Sophia performs on a very similar level and I don't see anyone arguing that she should be on the team. Her WNBA numbers this year are better than some of the players who are on the Olympic team.

Minutes Per Game
Nneka: 28.9
Sophia: 32.4

PPG
Nneka: 14.1
Sophia: 16.7

FG%
Nneka: 50.7%
Sophia: 51%

FT%
Nneka: 74.2%
Sophia: 72.3

RPG
Nneka: 7.5
Sophia: 7.3

SPG
Nneka: 1.6
Sophia: 2.5

APG
Nneka: .8
Sophia: 2.1

BPG
Nneka: 1.0
Sophia: .4

TOPG
Nneka: 1.4
Sophia: 1.78

FPG
Nneka: 2.65
Sophia: 2.17

:
Nneka: +17.15
Sophia: +19.67

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have NO PROBLEM with the make-up of this team, other than the exclusion of Cappie. IMO, she should have been on this team. Maya proved why she was on the team today. The thing that she has that Nneka does not have is the outside shot...draining the three pointer is so valuable.

Reaction Score
You may be factually correct based on standards of your own choosing, but your choice of standards is poor. The efficiency statistic the NBA adopted is a bad statistic, and when applied to the WNBA as they have done it is even worse. I'm not sure how versed Eric is in statistics, but no one well versed in basketball stats would accept your argument based on Efficiency.

In addition arguing that a player deserves a spot based on WNBA statistics introduces a criteria that the committee choosing the players doesn't even consider. The national team is not and never has been a WNBA All-Star team. Nneka will get her chance and will almost certainly be on the 2014 team. Unfortunately for her it is not her time yet. If she had developed her jump shot sooner she may have been considered for the National team player pool in time for this Olympics.

again, WHAT? Look at the tape of the game she played vs UConn, esp her soph year (at UConn) and then look at the tape of TN game this year, then look at more tapes of her WNBA ROY season so far. She HAS a jump shot, just a not a three, yet. And, imho, she doesn't need to shoot the 3 because she is the BEST 4.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
again, WTF? Look at the tape of the game she played vs UConn, esp her soph year (at UConn) and then look at the tape of TN game this year, then look at more tapes of her WNBA ROY season so far. She HAS a jump shot, just a not a three, yet. And, imho, she doesn't need to shoot the 3 because she is the BEST 4.

That's like saying that Griner doesn't need to be able to shoot the 15 footer because she is the best 5. She shouldn't be shooting it as frequently as a 4 but it is still a valuable asset. And wasn't that one of the reason that you argued that she was better than Griner, because she had better range? And wouldn't that same argument hold true if comparing Nneka to Maya? Swin Cash can shoot the three pretty well, and that, plus her experience with the rest of the national team, was what secured her a slot on this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I have NO PROBLEM with the make-up of this team, other than the exclusion of Cappie.
IIRC, Cappie skipped the 2010 World Championships so that she could go to NYC for an event related to her interest in fashion design. I think that may have hurt her chances as it didn't show a dedication to USA Basketball that the Committee might have been hoping to see.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
IIRC, Cappie skipped the 2010 World Championships so that she could go to NYC for an event related to her interest in fashion design. I think that may have hurt her chances as it didn't show a dedication to USA Basketball that the Committee might have been hoping to see.

These players need to be able to secure their futures outside of basketball. I have no problem with a player who has aspirations outside of basketball making a decision such as that. But, maybe the committee does. Cappie is simply one of the best players in the world and, IMO, should be on this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
These players need to be able to secure their futures outside of basketball. I have no problem with a player who has aspirations outside of basketball making a decision such as that. But, maybe the committee does.
She told USA Basketball she was too tired to play on the WC team, then went to NYC. Just Googled Cappie and found that tidbit that I'd forgotten in a Mechelle voepel article.

Reaction Score

agree.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
She told USA Basketball she was too tired to play on the WC team, then went to NYC. Just Googled Cappie and found that tidbit that I'd forgotten in a Mechelle voepel article.

If that is the case and she was not honest and up front, then I can see that USA Basketball would have second thoughts about including her on the team. Thanks for the additional info.

U

UCONNfan1

Forward - Sophia Young

What was wrong with his stats? What a silly start to your post.. You can certainly argue that there is more to statistics than PPG and whatever stats he was posting about, but as a visitor, to act like an idiot on the board will earn you no welcome here.

So yeah, go back and CHECK YOUR FACTS before posting drivel like "Actually, you should check your facts". Come on back when your chip is gone off your shoulder.

Reaction Score
Nneka was not a consistent jump shooter as a sophomore, which is how early it would need to have been to receive consideration for the national team player pool early enough to get into the the training camps to learn the system. The last significant training camp the US team had was prior to Nneka's senior season. Maya Moore was the National Player of the Year as a sophomore. Nneka needed to be that polished and that accomplished all the way back then to deserve consideration for the 2012 Olympic with no international experience over far more experienced post players with similar talent. How she shot the ball as a senior or this summer in the WNBA is irrelevant.

again, WHAT? Look at the tape of the game she played vs UConn, esp her soph year (at UConn) and then look at the tape of TN game this year, then look at more tapes of her WNBA ROY season so far. She HAS a jump shot, just a not a three, yet. And, imho, she doesn't need to shoot the 3 because she is the BEST 4.

Reaction Score
That's like saying that Griner doesn't need to be able to shoot the 15 footer because she is the best 5. She shouldn't be shooting it as frequently as a 4 but it is still a valuable asset. And wasn't that one of the reason that you argued that she was better than Griner, because she had better range? And wouldn't that same argument hold true if comparing Nneka to Maya? Swin Cash can shoot the three pretty well, and that, plus her experience with the rest of the national team, was what secured her a slot on this team.

dood, where've you been? :) a 15 fter is different than a 3, by 6 in. I think Nneka is better than Griner at this point because she has more skills and better range. I never said she could drain the 3, but she consistently hits shots from 10-12 ft, at elbow, baseline, etc. And she shots a pretty good percentage, 50% now and 60% in college.

We all know Maya is a 3, Nneka is a 4. So they play with their strengths, Maya is not going to be posting up as much and Nneka is not going to be out shooting 3's. My pt, she DOES have a jump shot, a better one that Brit.

Reaction Score
Nneka was not a consistent jump shooter as a sophomore, which is how early it would need to have been to receive consideration for the national team player pool early enough to get into the the training camps to learn the system. The last significant training camp the US team had was prior to Nneka's senior season. Maya Moore was the National Player of the Year as a sophomore. Nneka needed to be that polished and that accomplished all the way back then to deserve consideration for the 2012 Olympic with no international experience over far more experienced post players with similar talent. How she shot the ball as a senior or this summer in the WNBA is irrelevant.

Then you missed a lot of her games. Go back and watch the tape vs. UConn her soph year. You saying she didn't and does not have a jump shot, is flat out wrong.

Reaction Score
The posters are getting a bit testy. Keep it civil people.

Here is an article pertaining to players selected for USA basketball. The author of this article thinks that Swin Cash and Aisha Jones should not be on the team. The author thinks that Cappie Poindexter and Neka Ogwumike should have their roster spots. Click link below and enjoy.
http://hoopism.blogspot.com/

The author also notes that their are politics involved. He/she also points out that Neka and Cappie have better statistics than Swin and Aisha, plus fresher younger legs. Interesting.

Reaction Score
What was wrong with his stats? What a silly start to your post.. You can certainly argue that there is more to statistics than PPG and whatever stats he was posting about, but as a visitor, to act like an idiot on the board will earn you no welcome here.

So yeah, go back and CHECK YOUR FACTS before posting drivel like "Actually, you should check your facts". Come on back when your chip is gone off your shoulder.

Ericsandiego started the "you should check your stats" comment to 'justavistor, so he was replying with his own stats.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
dood, where've you been? :) a 15 fter is different than a 3, by 6 in. I think Nneka is better than Griner at this point because she has more skills and better range. I never said she could drain the 3, but she consistently hits shots from 10-12 ft, at elbow, baseline, etc. And she shots a pretty good percentage, 50% now and 60% in college.

We all know Maya is a 3, Nneka is a 4. So they play with their strengths, Maya is not going to be posting up as much and Nneka is not going to be out shooting 3's. My pt, she DOES have a jump shot, a better one that Brit.

OK...you can get over your bitterness about all of the awards that Nneka didn't win. Nneka is an exceptional player and athlete and I admire your dogged determination to say that she is the better player, despite the fact that BG won every award possible in which people's opinions counted and votes were tabulated. Nneka is no longer in college so let's start comparing her to her peers, not a college player. Her stats are no better than those of another Baylor player, Sophia Young.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom