The fickleness of our fanbase | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The fickleness of our fanbase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like Sean I never considered not going. I'll be there next year buying season tickets. Hopefully we'll be better some day. Everything is upside down right now on many fronts but I believe we will come out of this. The rest of the year will be very difficult for the players so we have to show up.

Less season ticket renewals = better seat selection for rest of us. Then in a few years - we can laugh harder! ;)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
im going to bash away ready? done. well said as usual.

if a poster says i naver said the word "casual fan" in a thread. then u look at the thread from the begining and on the first page he mentions the word "casual fan" in starting a argument with bl, would u think hes a clown ass? or is the competence level here just that dam low?

thats like me telling u i just went to the uconn game on page 1 and on page 6 when u ask me about the atmosphere i reply saying i never went to the game, when did i ever say that?

I feel like I shouldn't enter into this fight between you and Whaler. It's not my turn with Whaler yet (I have two more threads to go, then we resume our properly scheduled "Once every Four" fight)... ;)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I feel like I shouldn't enter into this fight between you and Whaler. It's not my turn with Whaler yet (I have two more threads to go, then we resume our properly scheduled "Once every Four" fight)... ;)

so he does just go around fighting everyone then? its not a made up thing?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Less season ticket renewals = better seat selection for rest of us. Then in a few years - we can laugh harder! ;)

I can't wait to join the "Laugh Harder" movement...:D

UConnDan97

Reaction Score

I don't know about everyone, but Whaler and I just seem to get into it every now and again. He and I will like each other's posts for maybe 3 threads in a row, and then on the fourth....it's SHOWTIME!!!

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't know about everyone, but Whaler and I just seem to get into it every now and again. He and I will like each other's posts for maybe 3 threads in a row, and then on the fourth....it's SHOWTIME!!!

By the way, I don't think it's anything personal. We have a mutual respect for each other. We just happen to reside on different ends of the"Spackler - Forte Spectrum" (I wish I could take full credit for that, but someone posted something to this effect about 6 months ago). I think that for the most part, a Boneyard poster falls somewhere on that spectrum, and it can be easily defined. It's neither right nor wrong, because everyone here wants UConn to win. But there are certainly personality sets that differ wildly here.

I would place myself pretty much towards the Spackler end of the spectrum, and I'm just suspecting that Whaler belongs on the Forte end of the spectrum...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
im going to bash away ready? done. well said as usual.

if a poster says i naver said the word "casual fan" in a thread. then u look at the thread from the begining and on the first page he mentions the word "casual fan" in starting a argument with bl, would u think hes a clown ass? or is the competence level here just that dam low?

thats like me telling u i just went to the uconn game on page 1 and on page 6 when u ask me about the atmosphere i reply saying i never went to the game, when did i ever say that?

Jackass. I never claimed I didn't use the term casual fan. I said my point doesn't apply to casual fans.

Call me a 'clown ass' if you like. You are so clueless it's almost hard to believe. I know you have no experience with how the real world works but your level of ignorance is impressive.

Reaction Score
. "Spackler - Forte Spectrum" ...[/I]

LOL.

Where on the Spackler -- Forte Spectrum would Spackler be? To know, wouldn't you have had to read at least one of his posts start to finish? Maybe it's just me, but I rarely get through one.

Reaction Score
I will be there friday with three old uconn friends, one a first time back for uconn football since memorial days, and we're each going to have our oldest sons there too. What this program has, is a simple lack of respect from outsiders to uconn students and alumni,and outsiders to fans of the uconn brand, which was undoubtably established by big east basketball. Respect is only garnered outside those two populations of people, by winning football games, especially the high profile ones. We seemed ready to take a step forward this year, but clearly that has not.been the case. That failure will be acted upon. And I will enjoy going to the game friday with friends and family, and cheer for my team to win.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Jackass. I never claimed I didn't use the term casual fan. I said my point doesn't apply to casual fans.

Call me a 'clown ass' if you like. You are so clueless it's almost hard to believe. I know you have no experience with how the real world works but your level of ignorance is impressive.

you said and i quote "Feel free to quote the posts where anyone said anything about casual fans or their right to voice their opinion. Can't wait to reread them."

i may rant and not care grammar wise, but i also know what im posting. on the first page yopu posted talking to bl about casual fans which set this off. i quoted it on page 6 again for u. keep em coming. if i was u i would get a walking cane before u fall down stairs you didn't see.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Well one can't argue alone.

There are a few complete morons here that I enjoy tweaking - they generally can't keep their story straight and probably aren't rigorous enough with their meds. The idiots that stand by their Edsall denigration are generally fun because no matter how wrong they are they don't quit.

Guys like Serrano and UCD are generally on the same page, we just enjoy a good debate.

You are a special case - bright kid with no sense of history or perspective who thinks he knows everything and doesn't anticipate the day when you realize you don't.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
LOL.

Where on the Spackler -- Forte Spectrum would Spackler be? To know, wouldn't you have had to read at least one of his posts start to finish? Maybe it's just me, but I rarely get through one.

Let's put it this way; the man is so optimistic that he will attempt to call in Naval battleships to help the UConn football team (I couldn't read the whole post, but I saw a picture) ;) . Forte thinks the season is over if we lose the coin-toss in the beginning of game #1. Somewhere in that spectrum, everyone can find a home...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
again your trying to be sarcastic but u are missing it. recently many posters have started threads about being done or mailing tix etc. several of those have been posters with almost no posts who are just casual fans and members here to get info as needed or enjoyment wise. clown on...
but lets talk about the basics like if u did or didnt say "casual fans" earlier in this thread...basics first, then the hard stuff...

LOL you are talking about when I said that I'm not surprised that casual fans threw in the towel. One could surmise that based on that comment I wasn't judging them or even talking about them - but not you. That would require you stop typing long enough to read.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
LOL you are talking about when I said that I'm not surprised that casual fans threw in the towel. One could surmise that based on that comment I wasn't judging them or even talking about them - but not you. That would require you stop typing long enough to read.

fact or fiction whaler. its come down to that basic. did you or did u not say the words "casual fans" in this thread on page 1.

good night. enjoy the short work week(only die hards get this as they will dip work early friday...) i look forward to agreeing with u on the next topic/thread i read. maybe:confused:.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
fact or fiction whaler. its come down to that basic. did you or did u not say the words "casual fans" in this thread on page 1.

good night. enjoy the short work week(only die hards get this as they will dip work early friday...) i look forward to agreeing with u on the next topic/thread i read. maybe:confused:.

I said the words casual fans to clarify that my original post wasn't about them. If that is some kind of victory for you that's tremendous, sure it doesn't support your argument in the least, but hopefully it fuels dozens of ranty letters to the AD.

Reaction Score
I think that if I were to find out that a certain poster was actually a certain local sports columnist, it wouldnt surprise me at all. The print media cant die fast enough, and now I will look forward to seeing another former husky playing now in sunday primetime.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think that if I were to find out that a certain poster was actually a certain local sports columnist, it wouldnt surprise me at all. The print media cant die fast enough, and now I will look forward to seeing another former husky playing now in sunday primetime.

If I found out a certain passive aggressive poster was really a woman I wouldn't be surprised.

Anyone who longs for the of death print media strikes me as someone in government who dislikes any check or balance.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There are Republicans I know in the tri-state area still without power clinging to their stated position that climate change doesn't exist. Don't hold your breath.
I believe that the position is not that climate change doesn't exist (anyone who believes this, after what science has been able to determine from before man existed is a fool) but rather that humans have far less of an impact than Al Gore claims.

Not to get onto a Cesspool topic but (the basic point of this post) viewing Waylon's rants on that thread and this one, it is clear that he has been off his meds for a bit too long.

Reaction Score
LOL.

Funny you should say that, I feel the same way about your view from 241, I have never been able to get past a couple of sentences. Guess we all have our ideas on what interests us.

Reaction Score
Watching this Whaler/Dan fight is like watching an adult argue with a 3 year old (I leave it to you to determine who is who). Yeah, the adult is crushing it - but it's kind of embarassing, too.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Watching this Whaler/Dan fight is like watching an adult argue with a 3 year old (I leave it to you to determine who is who). Yeah, the adult is crushing it - but it's kind of embarassing, too.

sorry u dont understand the fight. its ok tho your a front running fan so i wouldnt ask that u know anything about it. please dont support the team ever again and never come back.

-whaler

Reaction Score
sorry u dont understand the fight. its ok tho your a front running fan so i wouldnt ask that u know anything about it. please dont support the team ever again and never come back.

-whaler

Dan, with all due respect, you are losing your marbles.

Nobody here has told anyone that they need to spend their money and go to games if they don't want to. But calling somebody for what they are is hardly insulting them. I appreciate the fact that you're taking on the role of herding in and keeping these fair weather fans in the fold.......but if they aren't going to go to games because posters on the Boneyard called them exactly what they are, then there are other issues that we haven't even touched on yet.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, with all due respect, you are losing your marbles.

Nobody here has told anyone that they need to spend their money and go to games if they don't want to. But calling somebody for what they are is hardly insulting them. I appreciate the fact that you're taking on the role of herding in and keeping these fair weather fans in the fold.......but if they aren't going to go to games because posters on the Boneyard called them exactly what they are, then there are other issues that we haven't even touched on yet.

im not saying its insulting, i just think whaler is wrong in the front runner vs casual idea for starters. are all met fans front runners? that place looked pretty empty this year? or is it just bad product so they saved $ and time for a year and did other things. they prob watched on tv and saw hl's on sports center but just cut back due to w/e the issue was. they will be back once w/e they disagree with changes(P&D here).

ok so in review

whaler thinks:
-that every poster here is a diehard(not true i know several small time posters here who post while at work or lurk for basic info at times, 1 of them posted a im done thread recently)
-our fanbase is 90%(give or take some) is front running fans becuase the rent will have 20k in it friday night and of the 10k will be a very mad group.
-were not big time becuase our fanbase is front runners acording to him

hfd thinks:
-we should let casual fans do as they wish without killing them for it on here becuase they are lurking and watching(they are how the school judges failure/progress).
-in order to be a front runner you must first root for a team that has won something(yankees, celtics, lakers, red wings and so on)
-that whaler by calling ppl casual/front runners or w/e in any quote is pissing those fans off quietly and comes off as telling them how to spend there money. although you dont actually say "hey u, spend $ at the rent" the way you talk as if those fans aren't commited to the sports comes off as a die hard fan telling a casual fan how to spend money. ppl dont like it when they get that feeling from other ppl.
-the front runner term is when u see a kid with a yankees jersey on in october and the rest of the year hes a big golf fan. or in feb when u go visit you budy in boston and instead of talking he want to talk celtics and bruins with u all day. those teams have won something and we all know those fans. i dont see any uconn fans like that, do u?

Reaction Score
I think everyone is in agreement that casual fans are allowed to be casual fans and still can be appreciated...as casual fans. If casual fans want to be known as diehards, they should do diehard things. It's really that simple.

Attending games because you like or don't like the product on the field means you are a casual fan. Not that you aren't a fan, just that you are a fan who will consider whether you might have more fun that night at a movie, play, bar, etc. Diehards don't think about those things.

There is nothing wrong with being a casual fan. Outside of probably 2K UConn fans, you represent most of our fanbase. No one is trying to alienate you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
im not saying its insulting, i just think whaler is wrong in the front runner vs casual idea for starters. are all met fans front runners? that place looked pretty empty this year? or is it just bad product so they saved $ and time for a year and did other things. they prob watched on tv and saw hl's on sports center but just cut back due to w/e the issue was. they will be back once w/e they disagree with changes(P&D here).

ok so in review

whaler thinks:
-that every poster here is a diehard(not true i know several small time posters here who post while at work or lurk for basic info at times, 1 of them posted a im done thread recently)
-our fanbase is 90%(give or take some) is front running fans becuase the rent will have 20k in it friday night and of the 10k will be a very mad group.
-were not big time becuase our fanbase is front runners acording to him

hfd thinks:
-we should let casual fans do as they wish without killing them for it on here becuase they are lurking and watching(they are how the school judges failure/progress).
-in order to be a front runner you must first root for a team that has won something(yankees, celtics, lakers, red wings and so on)
-that whaler by calling ppl casual/front runners or w/e in any quote is pissing those fans off quietly and comes off as telling them how to spend there money. although you dont actually say "hey u, spend $ at the rent" the way you talk as if those fans aren't commited to the sports comes off as a die hard fan telling a casual fan how to spend money. ppl dont like it when they get that feeling from other ppl.
-the front runner term is when u see a kid with a yankees jersey on in october and the rest of the year hes a big golf fan. or in feb when u go visit you budy in boston and instead of talking he want to talk celtics and bruins with u all day. those teams have won something and we all know those fans. i dont see any uconn fans like that, do u?

I assume that the majority of people that post often are more diehard than the average casual fan. Since lurkers by definition don't post it's hard to say any of my points apply to them.

I know our fan base is fair weather. Check the box scores for the basketball games Thursday and Sunday.

I'm not telling anyone how to spend their money or their time. I said I'm surprised by how many people say they aren't going to home games. But keep misrepresenting that - makes for such a lively debate when you craft both sides.

Our fanbase is so far away from big time there isn't even an argument to be had.

You can't compare college teams to professional. The Mets can draft, trade and sign players to improve. UConn can only recruit them. Since you are Johnny Recruiting, one would surmise you'd understand the impact a passionate fanbase has on recruiting. In essence your position is that it's great to pump UConn to recruits, but be warned if the coach sucks HFD is turning his back on you and is ok with everyone else turning their backs as well. We will only support you if you win - if you lose enjoy the tumbleweeds blowing around the field on gameday.

If you want to continue to have a semantic debate about the term front runner or fair weather knock yourself out. Either describes people in the Northeast generally and Connecticut specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom