The fickleness of our fanbase | The Boneyard

The fickleness of our fanbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know I only 'self-identify' as a UConn fan, but the number of posters who are saying they aren't going to Rentschler the rest of the year is surprising.

One of the best games every played at Rentschler, one that people talk about all the time was against Pitt in a season where UConn went 1-6 in the Big East.

F

fortebleedsblue

They will still go ... They're just venting. The upside to having a fan base who cares more about tailgating is that they'll be there for the booze... Booze are always to be had. Stadium will look great by end of 2nd Qtr and mid way through 3rd. Other than that nothing else is guaranteed.

Reaction Score
I know I only 'self-identify' as a UConn fan, but the number of posters who are saying they aren't going to Rentschler the rest of the year is surprising.

One of the best games every played at Rentschler, one that people talk about all the time was against Pitt in a season where UConn went 1-6 in the Big East.

I think it's actuallly quite important to compare '05 and '06 to the present. In '05 and '06, we were supporting young men who, to a great extent, were not BCS players. They were recruited by a non-BCS program that was becoming BCS. We were supporting a developing program that had never been a I-AA power that was seeing if it could build to something that many wondered if it was possible to build. I was rooting for steps of success, and when I got them -- when our guts trumped teams with greater talent, like USF in '05 and Pitt in '06 -- they were dramatic wins, even though the team was heading for a losing record.

When a team is going backward, when you're watching what you built up being rapidly and completely destroyed -- a nice win is not going to have the same effect. At least, I don't think it will but I will be there Friday night cheering for one.

Reaction Score
I'll be there Friday evening & cheering this decimated team. Nobady's happy with the results to date, but these kids need our support. I actually saw some progress in the passing game last night. The defense played well, considering.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
They will still go ... They're just venting. The upside to having a fan base who cares more about tailgating is that they'll be there for the booze... Booze are always to be had. Stadium will look great by end of 2nd Qtr and mid way through 3rd. Other than that nothing else is guaranteed.
Beer doesn't disappoint like P and GDL...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think it's actuallly quite important to compare '05 and '06 to the present. In '05 and '06, we were supporting young men who, to a great extent, were not BCS players. They were recruited by a non-BCS program that was becoming BCS. We were supporting a developing program that had never been a I-AA power that was seeing if it could build to something that many wondered if it was possible to build. I was rooting for steps of success, and when I got them -- when our guts trumped teams with greater talent, like USF in '05 and Pitt in '06 -- they were dramatic wins, even though the team was heading for a losing record.

When a team is going backward, when you're watching what you built up being rapidly and completely destroyed -- a nice win is not going to have the same effect. At least, I don't think it will but I will be there Friday night cheering for one.

Team was going backward in 2005 and 2006 no matter what the apologists say.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score

bl's post had nothing to do about RE vs PP. i'll give him that for this thread. what he said was correct imho.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Oh I fully understand the difference. I'm not surprised if the casual fans toss in the towel - I'm specifically surprised that so many here who care enough to post as much as they do and are so engaged with the team are walking away from going to home games.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It would be really nice for a lot of seniors who were good to very good players to not go out winless. BWW, Gratz, Moore, Trevardo and the others... If you sit down and make a list of the seniors on this team 0-7 in this league seems almost unfathomable.

It would also be nice to keep the stain pf a winless conference season out of the history books.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Oh I fully understand the difference. I'm not surprised if the casual fans toss in the towel - I'm specifically surprised that so many here who care enough to post as much as they do and are so engaged with the team are walking away from going to home games.

its becuase uconn fans prided themselves the past 15 years in building great sport programs. we watched cuse never become elite in bball and fall off the cliff in fball. we watched and are still watching(3 games left) the spaz era at bc. we watched rutgers be all talk for the past 10 years and counting. and so on. we saw that these programs were all full of and we were steadly growing/building/rising. even in bad years we saw that the overall program direction was positive to some degree.

now for the first time as a bcs school, the program is not going in the right direction. fans here have a couple combined issues that are forcing the issue with fans being fans. watching the above teams be crap makes us not want to go down that path. fans would rather protest now and get it over with then watch 2 more years of PP and then 2 years from now have even worse things going on and the program wrecked totally. hurt the school now to help save it later or let the school die a slow death? the other thing is conf expansion. now is the time we need to shine in any way possible to the rest of the cf world, and we look ugly as right now.

the fans realize its turn this around right now or die a slow death as a program the next couple years.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Might be time for a different term than apologists. Seems silly to have to apologize for the success that Edsall had once you compare it to the next guy

I'm sure someone will do better but it could start with something like - oh wait, and end with something like - they were rightists.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
its becuase uconn fans prided themselves the past 15 years in building great sport programs. we watched cuse never become elite in bball and fall off the cliff in fball. we watched and are still watching(3 games left) the spaz era at bc. we watched rutgers be all talk for the past 10 years and counting. and so on. we saw that these programs were all full of **** and we were steadly growing/building/rising. even in bad years we saw that the overall program direction was positive to some degree.

now for the first time as a bcs school, the program is not going in the right direction. fans here have a couple combined issues that are forcing the issue with fans being fans. watching the above teams be crap makes us not want to go down that path. fans would rather protest now and get it over with then watch 2 more years of PP and then 2 years from now have even worse things going on and the program wrecked totally. hurt the school now to help save it later or let the school die a slow death? the other thing is conf expansion. now is the time we need to shine in any way possible to the rest of the cf world, and we look ugly as **** right now.

the fans realize its turn this around right now or die a slow death as a program the next couple years.

So your conclusion is that the fans are
front runners and that's fine and screw you Sio, Blidi, Trevardo and the others - I'm turning my back on you while I obsess about who might come here in the future.

You know what doesn't impress conferences or future coaches? A fanbase that disappears after a short period of adversity.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Honestly if you don't think Syracuse has an elite basketball program you should stop drinking because you've killed too many brain cells and need to start conserving. That's almost as dumb as SDhusky

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
So your conclusion is that the fans are
front runners and that's fine and screw you Sio, Blidi, Trevardo and the others - I'm turning my back on you while I obsess about who might come here in the future.

You know what doesn't impress conferences or future coaches? A fanbase that disappears after a short period of adversity.

that seemed to work fine for cuse, pitt and bc? wern't u one of the guys that wanted to go to the acc? well then we are setting ourselves up to look real pretty vs pitt. the acc will see a empty stadium and fball and say, we ned to add them also like now.

no im not a front runner. didn't u read what i wrote? i was a fan back in 05/06. i watched games even when the team was bad. but back then u could see where this was going, now u can't. i thank the sr's for everything they have done, but some years just dont pan out on the field. what can i do to change that? well if i buy the shirt i usually buy, go to every game still and get the same amount of fries and dirnks and watch tv this and that then the schools thinks everything is fine becuase they are taking dumps on the field and still have my attention and $. you have to show them that something is wrong. a lot of fans are starting to do so. be happy about it and let them do what they want. its there time and money not yours. if they care enough to tell u here about there decision about the program, then when we get a new coach they will be back. u do hat u want with your money and time and so will i. the school will notice the trends.

Reaction Score
We also have the the most expensive season tickets in the Big East...for this dreck.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Honestly if you don't think Syracuse has an elite basketball program you should stop drinking because you've killed too many brain cells and need to start conserving. That's almost as dumb as SDhusky

elite programs
uk/ku/unc/duke/ind/ucla

almost elite
uconn/zona/msu

tier 3
cuse/lville/fl/tosu/okst/prob missing 1 or 2

tier 4 is like 20 teams
nova/gtown/mich/cincy.....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
that seemed to work fine for cuse, pitt and bc? wern't u one of the guys that wanted to go to the acc? well then we are setting ourselves up to look real pretty vs pitt. the acc will see a empty stadium and ****ty fball and say,
we ned to add them also like ****ing now.

no im not a front runner. didn't u read what i wrote? i was a fan back in 05/06. i watched games even when the team was bad. but back then u could see where this was going, now u can't. i thank the sr's for everything they have done, but some years just dont pan out on the field. what can i do to change that? well if i buy the shirt i usually buy, go to every game still and get the same amount of fries and dirnks and watch tv this and that then the schools thinks everything is fine becuase they are taking dumps on the field and still have my attention and $. you have to show them that something is wrong. a lot of fans are starting to do so. be happy about it and let them do what they want. its there time and money not yours. if they care enough to tell u here about there decision about the program, then when we get a new coach they will be back. u do hat u want with your money and time and so will i. the school will notice the trends.

I do want to go to the ACC. Boston College didn't go into the tank until after they joined.

Stopping supporting the program when they aren't winning is the definition of a front-runner.

When you pump UConn on twitter to recruits do you tell them you are going to bail on them if you don't like the coach?

How do you possibly come to the conclusion that the school is ok with what is going on? Because they haven't had a public stoning at halftime of a game?

Reaction Score
Having a hard time grasping the logic there. 9 wins in 2007, and 8 the next three. The team may have been going backward, the program clearly was not. Facility also opened 2006, a sign of a forward-moving program.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Might be time for a different term than apologists. Seems silly to have to apologize for the success that Edsall had once you compare it to the next guy

I'm sure someone will do better but it could start with something like - oh wait, and end with something like - they were rightists.

Seems silly to consider Edsall a success when he recruiting one quality QB in over 10 years on the job and left the team devoid of BCS level talent at the skill positions when he left. To be fair, he has been a smashing success at Maryland.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Having a hard time grasping the logic there. 9 wins in 2007, and 8 the next three. The team may have been going backward, the program clearly was not. Facility also opened 2006, a sign of a forward-moving program.

He had two teams, 2007 and 2009, that I consider true Top 20 contenders. The rest of the seasons were a mediocre team taking advantage of favorable scheduling.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I do want to go to the ACC. Boston College didn't go into the tank until after they joined.

Stopping supporting the program when they aren't winning is the definition of a front-runner.

When you pump UConn on twitter to recruits do you tell them you are going to bail on them if you don't like the coach?

How do you possibly come to the conclusion that the school is ok with what is going on? Because they haven't had a public stoning at halftime of a game?

all these ppl who dont show up, i bet 90% of them watch on tv so they are still supporting, just less $$ wise which the school will see the trend. please stop with the front runner bs. u can't tell other ppl how to spend there money. they dont like the rpoduct so they wont pay for it. simple. they aren't front running, they are picking what to spend $ on. front running is a yankee fan who goes to 2 summer games a year and come september starts talking about baseball. then until the next summer when the yanks and mets play he doesn't say a word about baseball.

Reaction Score
the coaching staff has sucked all the excitement out of the program. UConn football had a buzz to it prior to his arrival where casual fans would want to learn about what was going on.

As my coworker put it to me this week when i asked him if he was still going to the Pitt game..."No...The thrill is gone...."

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems silly to consider Edsall a success when he recruiting one quality QB in over 10 years on the job and left the team devoid of BCS level talent at the skill positions when he left. To be fair, he has been a smashing success at Maryland.

Yeah the way to measure success is how many players you had at a certain position. Not taking a team from zero to two conference championships in ten years.

For you idiots who keep invoking Maryland - can you please answer this. If Denver loses the rest of their games the next two seasons was Peyton Manning not successful in Indianapolis? It's honestly so idiotic that I can't even imagine that someone who can log into the internet, create a profile and type can even believe it's a legitimate point when arguing what Edsall did at UConn. I mean come on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
He had two teams, 2007 and 2009, that I consider true Top 20 contenders. The rest of the seasons were a mediocre team taking advantage of favorable scheduling.

Would that sort of mean the Big East sucked and your hundreds of posts talking about how good it was are contradicted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom