The fickleness of our fanbase | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The fickleness of our fanbase

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What sdhusky misses is that this year's Big East is better and UConn can't get away with winning some of the ways UConn won in 2010.

Yeah any time you go 4-4 against the MAC, two of your three best teams have losses to Toledo and Kent State and trade WVU for Temple things are much much better.

Your idiotic comparison ignores the fact that UConn hasn't even played 2 of the 3 good teams in the league - so even if the overall league was better, UConn has played a pathetic slice of it to date. Since they have played all of one conference team in 5 games that is bowl eligible.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sooner or later, you'll figure out that I don't take discussion with you seriously.

I figured out a long time ago you don't take reality very seriously. You prefer to just make up whatever evidence you need for whatever stupid point you are pushing at any given time.

Reaction Score
What sdhusky misses is that this year's Big East is better and UConn can't get away with winning some of the ways UConn won in 2010.

From the stupidity coming out of you and SD I can only assume you're trying to make us laugh or you're trolling us all. Which one is it?

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Therapy group? If so do you have room for one more?

Rugby team alum. If you really want them their yours lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Why the extreme venom for Herbst/Manuel?? Seems to me ( I could be wrong) - this goes beyond Football. Did you not get an interview?

I have extreme venom because the posiiton we are currently in speaks for itself. I could be wrong, but I really find theses folks to be just part and parcel of the problem at large. We dont go after the best of the best. We don't invest in making a difference and separating from the pack. These hires are "cost effective". Manuel might be a great guy, but you dont take a guy out of Buffalo to lead you into a power conference, help schedule meaningful games and pull strings, find large donors, and attract quality coaches. He lacks the network, influence and experience to play in this league. Herbst has allowed UConn to be the fall guy holding the bag on a sinking conference. She got played. If she understands the critical importance that nationally competitive sports programs play in propelling UConn to a top institution, then she has not showed it through any action. The impact that winning BB Nat. Championships has had on UConn is dramatic in terms of overall application interest and increasing selectivity of students from an academic perspective. All (and I mean all) of this is a risk and sits on the edge of a cliff, and these folks are not equipped to get it right. The FB program is a decade plus of hard work and investment. The BB program 25 years. Both are at very vulnerable points and headed in scary (and avoidable) directions.

So, yes, I have venom for mediocrity, and even more so incompetence (PP and GDL).

Reaction Score
I have extreme venom because the posiiton we are currently in speaks for itself. I could be wrong, but I really find theses folks to be just part and parcel of the problem at large. We dont go after the best of the best. We don't invest in making a difference and separating from the pack. These hires are "cost effective". Manuel might be a great guy, but you dont take a guy out of Buffalo to lead you into a power conference, help schedule meaningful games and pull strings, find large donors, and attract quality coaches. He lacks the network, influence and experience to play in this league. Herbst has allowed UConn to be the fall guy holding the bag on a sinking conference. She got played. If she understands the critical importance that nationally competitive sports programs play in propelling UConn to a top institution, then she has not showed it through any action. The impact that winning BB Nat. Championships has had on UConn is dramatic in terms of overall application interest and increasing selectivity of students from an academic perspective. All (and I mean all) of this is a risk and sits on the edge of a cliff, and these folks are not equipped to get it right. The FB program is a decade plus of hard work and investment. The BB program 25 years. Both are at very vulnerable points and headed in scary (and avoidable) directions.

So, yes, I have venom for mediocrity, and even more so incompetence (PP and GDL).

Except that neither Herbst nor Manual had very much to do with putting us in the precarious position we are in. Unless you blame Bush for 9/11 and Obama for the staggering loss of jobs during the first three months of his administation.

Life requires that you be patient enough to give someone who is new to their job enough time to accomplish what you want accomplished before you turn on them.

(And yes, before someone says so, that goes for P as well although the debate about what is "enough time" can be had.)

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
If you don't see the difference between 8-4 (5-2) and 3-6 (0-4), because you can find comparable stats in the two seasons, you're either an idiot or just being argumentative for its own sake. I'll leave that judgment to a higher pay grade than I.

Of course there is a difference. I would rather have the season with more wins.

However, in a small sample like 12 football games, the margin of error, looking at just wins can make comparisons very misleading. Just flip a coin 12 times with a quarter and give it a win for every head. Then do a penny 12 times and give it a win for every head. I promise the coach of one of those coins will look a lot better than the other.

I make my living using stats (from my UCONN math education) in places where "normal" people make judgements without really understanding the math.

Chance plays a bigger role in football than we imagine. That's why is so hard for a team to go undefeated even its the best team in every game.

I think the 8-5 team got some breaks and this years team hasn't.

The 8-5 team did not look much more competant on offense than this years team and the defense is a bit better this year.

There is a big difference in TO's and special teams. The 2010 team was much, much better on special teams. I have no doubt on that. But I don't think it was really because of coaching genius. We had other years under St Randy when the specials were bad.

I do give Edsall credit for coaching to a great return game. That is something he really did well.

The TO's are because we are trying to build a passing offense and Whitmer, at this stage, is prone to INT's. I can live with that pain because I think it will get better.

Outside of those two factors, I think the teams are pretty even.

Saying everything is destroyed is silly and over dramatic.

Reaction Score
Of course there is a difference. I would rather have the season with more wins.

However, in a small sample like 12 football games, the margin of error, looking at just wins can make comparisons very misleading. Just flip a coin 12 times with a quarter and give it a win for every head. Then do a penny 12 times and give it a win for every head. I promise the coach of one of those coins will look a lot better than the other.

I make my living using stats (from my UCONN math education) in places where "normal" people make judgements without really understanding the math.

Chance plays a bigger role in football than we imagine. That's why is so hard for a team to go undefeated even its the best team in every game.

I think the 8-5 team got some breaks and this years team hasn't.

The 8-5 team did not look much more competant on offense than this years team and the defense is a bit better this year.

There is a big difference in TO's and special teams. The 2010 team was much, much better on special teams. I have no doubt on that. But I don't think it was really because of coaching genius. We had other years under St Randy when the specials were bad.

I do give Edsall credit for coaching to a great return game. That is something he really did well.

The TO's are because we are trying to build a passing offense and Whitmer, at this stage, is prone to INT's. I can live with that pain because I think it will get better.

Outside of those two factors, I think the teams are pretty even.

Saying everything is destroyed is silly and over dramatic.

To paraphrase Sean Connery in the movie The Rock, "losers stay home and winners duck* the prom queen." Now, you are welcome to spend as much time as you want telling me how close the winner who is doing the prom queen really is to the loser staying home, but please understand that I don't give a rat's behind. I want to be the one doing the prom queen, and no amount of statistical analysis is going to make me feel good about being the loser staying home if I'm not doing her.

I apologize for name calling earlier, but I am just not going to spend more time discussing this with you. It may be that P, given ten chances to come in and improve the UConn program would have succeeded nine times. But that's like telling me we didn't deserve to tie WVU for the championship in '07. The bottom line is he hasn't come near getting it done and the fact that he might have if things occurred differently just isn't relevant to anyone but you (and maybe Waylon -- I can't even tell when he's being literal and when he's being facetious any more his positions change so often. At least I give you credit for consistency.)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...These hires are "cost effective". Manuel might be a great guy, but you dont take a guy out of Buffalo to lead you into a power conference, help schedule meaningful games and pull strings, find large donors, and attract quality coaches. He lacks the network, influence and experience to play in this league.

What hires exactly? Warde Manuel has exactly one hire under his belt, where he was basically backed into a no-win situation, being Dean Smithed into taking on a hastily hand-picked successor by a basketball legend. There was slim to zero chance he could have organized and overseen a national coaching search 3 weeks before Midnight Madness of a lame duck season. He may have been bullied into Ollie at the time, but I think he showed some stones in only giving him a one season contract. He made the best of a difficult situation and no one could have done better.

Other than that, Do you really know what his connections are? It's not like he was a customer service rep for the Motel 6 in Buffalo. I tend to think he learned something at Michigan...

Husky25

Reaction Score
To paraphrase Sean Connery in the movie The Rock, "losers stay home and winners duck* the prom queen." Now, you are welcome to spend as much time as you want telling me how close the winner who is doing the prom queen really is to the loser staying home, but please understand that I don't give a rat's behind. I want to be the one doing the prom queen, and no amount of statistical analysis is going to make me feel good about being the loser staying home if I'm not doing her.

I apologize for name calling earlier, but I am just not going to spend more time discussing this with you. It may be that P, given ten chances to come in and improve the UConn program would have succeeded nine times. But that's like telling me we didn't deserve to tie WVU for the championship in '07. The bottom line is he hasn't come near getting it done and the fact that he might have if things occurred differently just isn't relevant to anyone but you (and maybe Waylon -- I can't even tell when he's being literal and when he's being facetious any more his positions change so often. At least I give you credit for consistency.)

Presumbly, you're preparing for a big deposition, so I'll go to IMDb for you...:D

"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and duck* the prom queen."- John Mason, The Rock, 1996.

Reaction Score
Believe me....if your son was playing for him...you would.

Well, somebody clearly told you something about somebody. I can tell you that I absolutely know that Deleone is a football coach born in the screamer era, and he's never changed. It's not surprising at all to read things like this. I'm sure that Deleone has made Jim Calhoun look like a lilly at times with what he says and does on the fields and meetings.

Not all college kids are going to respond to that, especially not in 2012, and it's highly likely that ones that weren't recruited to a coach like that and surrounded with players that have known it and can deal with it.

I have children, I know what it's like to put your kid into the hands of other adults, regarding their training, education. Mike Foley, is probably as far different a football coach than can be, as compared to Deleone. Mike's a genuinely good, nice guy. Deleone is an old crotchety . It's natural that players are going to have trouble adjusting. I really don't care about it all though, because an extreme screamer, that a kid has trouble becoming accostumed to, and is having problems with performance because of it, is really no different, than a player that isn't performing well, with a really friendly, nice guy superior from the other end of the spectrum.

Young people are going to have to learn how to maximize their performance when they have comfortable superiors, and when they have uncomfortable superiors.

These are college scholarship athletes, in the national conference against athletes, we're talking about though, not freshmen english majors.

Yes, some of them got caught up in a coaching change, and have to deal with a personality they don't like, but you know what - welcome to the real world - get the job done, enjoy yourself, and your sports, and your teammates, or be gone.

It's his offensive play calling tactics that have put our weakest players in position to make the most important plays, that make me want to kick him, and for that, he should be looking over his own shoulder, for the same reasons - get the job done, or be gone.

Reaction Score
Well, somebody clearly told you something about somebody. I can tell you that I absolutely know that Deleone is a football coach born in the screamer era, and he's never changed. It's not surprising at all to read things like this. I'm sure that Deleone has made Jim Calhoun look like a lilly at times with what he says and does on the fields and meetings.

Not all college kids are going to respond to that, especially not in 2012, and it's highly likely that ones that weren't recruited to a coach like that and surrounded with players that have known it and can deal with it.

I have children, I know what it's like to put your kid into the hands of other adults, regarding their training, education. Mike Foley, is probably as far different a football coach than can be, as compared to Deleone. Mike's a genuinely good, nice guy. Deleone is an old crotchety . It's natural that players are going to have trouble adjusting. I really don't care about it all though, because an extreme screamer, that a kid has trouble becoming accostumed to, and is having problems with performance because of it, is really no different, than a player that isn't performing well, with a really friendly, nice guy superior from the other end of the spectrum.

Young people are going to have to learn how to maximize their performance when they have comfortable superiors, and when they have uncomfortable superiors.

These are college scholarship athletes, in the national conference against athletes, we're talking about though, not freshmen english majors.

Yes, some of them got caught up in a coaching change, and have to deal with a personality they don't like, but you know what - welcome to the real world - get the job done, enjoy yourself, and your sports, and your teammates, or be gone.

It's his offensive play calling tactics that have put our weakest players in position to make the most important plays, that make me want to kick him, and for that, he should be looking over his own shoulder, for the same reasons - get the job done, or be gone.

Just be gone George.

Reaction Score
He may have been bullied into Ollie at the time, but I think he showed some stones in only giving him a one season contract. ..... It's not like he was a customer service rep for the Motel 6 in Buffalo. I tend to think he learned something at Michigan...

If Warde was bullied into Ollie, then you just ansered your own question. Look, Im not saying he is a bad guy or even a bad AD. We dont know. Im saying if you want to be the best you get the best. Getting the best means you pay up. Plain and simple. Warde isn't the best not by a long shot, nor is Herbst, nor is P or his pal. You got speculative talent coupled wth mediocre talent purchased on the cheap at best, yet we are supposed to rise to prominence?

The state of affairs speaks for itself, and until folks start really taking a hard critical look at fundamental indicators of success, we will head where we are heading and its not pretty. Everything is pointing in the wrong direction. That usually isn't caused by a spate of bad breaks inasmuch as the fruits of a lack of leadership, vision and real commitment.

Reaction Score
Presumbly, you're preparing for a big deposition, so I'll go to IMDb for you...:D

"Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and duck* the prom queen."- John Mason, The Rock, 1996.

Thank you. although to be fair, it had less to do with not enough time and more to do with having no clue where to go to pull up the exact quote online.

Reaction Score
Hey Blue, do you honestly think Herbst and Manuel are going to let the football program continue on this downward path? Good programs make progress from week to week. Some year to year. This program is headed nowhere. There will be a change at year end. Sleep well.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If Warde was bullied into Ollie, then you just ansered your own question. Look, Im not saying he is a bad guy or even a bad AD. We dont know. Im saying if you want to be the best you get the best. Getting the best means you pay up. Plain and simple. Warde isn't the best not by a long shot, nor is Herbst, nor is P or his pal. You got speculative talent coupled wth mediocre talent purchased on the cheap at best, yet we are supposed to rise to prominence?

The state of affairs speaks for itself, and until folks start really taking a hard critical look at fundamental indicators of success, we will head where we are heading and its not pretty. Everything is pointing in the wrong direction. That usually isn't caused by a spate of bad breaks inasmuch as the fruits of a lack of leadership, vision and real commitment.

You may not have directly written that Warde Manuel is a bad AD, but you basically wrote out a job descriptions and said that Manuel can't do it in a power conference. My only qustion is how do you know? based on one hire, where he basically had no choice?

Manuel was hired in February and went through the entire off season under the impression that his legendary head mens basketball coach was going to return. No one (assistant coach, head coach , or equipment manager) in their right mind would leave their current team mere days before the start of the season, much less for a team about to go through a lame duck season. I'm not a Manuel apologist, but I'm certainly willing to give him the benefit of the doubt 8 months into his tenure.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Carl, Nelson, sdhusky and HuskyfanDan (sorry Dan I actually like you a lot as a poster) have lost their god damn minds.

1) crossing u off my christmas list
2) i laughed at this post, well done
3) i would argue tht carl lost his mind years ago and nelson never had one so really the current state of uconn has sd and i going nuts
4) i think i could add several others to this list
5) to the ship! avast, ye mateys!
edit 6) just saw whaler liked your post. i just pooped my pants and puked

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I was going to say "you cannotn honestly believe that the BE is better this year than it was in 2010" but then I considered the source.

Reaction Score
Waylon/Nelson - all of us INCLUDING YOU would trade HCRE for PP in a NY minute. Contrary to many on this board, I usually agree with your train of though. But in this case just sure where you're coming from.

Reaction Score

Thanks for your clarification earlier - understand (maybe) where you are coming from. Just want to point out though that I've overpaid for quite a few things in my life that weren't nearly as good as advertised (from dinners to vehicles to personnel). Live and learn

Oh...

Been saying this for some time. Manuel is an untested AD from a second rate program. His BB hire demonstrates a lack of conviction in his own decision making more than establishing a short leash. He either will step in and take the lead or play the CYA game. He's a big bag of whose shown nothing. He hasn't even publicly drawn a line in the sand in terms of what he expects for competitive performance. Has he said the FB program must be at the top of the NBE. Has he said his vision is a top 20 team in five years? Has he said really anything about Football other than a lot of cliche Bull ? He's going to be another bad hire made to save a few bucks.

UConn desparately needs real leadership. The whole crew from Herbst on down are amateurs from the land of misfits. Hire a real President, real AD and real HC, all with track records and influential connections, instead of the rank clowns that are sinking the university at every level.

If this isn't calling him a bad guy/bad AD - I'm not sure what is? ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
3) i would argue tht carl lost his mind years ago and nelson never had one so really the current state of uconn has sd and i going nuts

I even agreed with the part about liking your posts. You've just done lost your mind.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Dan, if the UConn fanbases had more of you it would be for the better. Also, if someone in the UConn athletic department actually shared your enthusiasm and big visions for the future, I would be shocked.

I think when we're getting into 10 page debates over essentially semantics, we all need to take a step back.

Reaction Score
I don't see this massive difference.

In 2010, we got 325 yards per game. This year, 318 yards per game. 7 yards worst per game.

In 2010, we gave up 353 yards per game. This year, we give up 290 yards per game. 63 yards better per game.

The difference is that we are trying to build a passing attack with a first year QB and are losing the TO batttle.

In 2010, we won the TO battle because we mostly ran the ball with an offense that was pretty much set. We also had a kicker than made every clutch kick that year and everything bounced our way (see WVU & USF games).

I think our upside with our new offense is greater than what we could do under the old regime.

For us to make that leap, we need Whitmer to cut down on TO's, improve at turning yards into points (about what you expect from a maturing QB) & our D to stay the same.

That will get us to as high a level as we've ever been.
Posts like this make me wish this board had a dislike button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom