The fickleness of our fanbase | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The fickleness of our fanbase

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
ummm, things have no exactly been "good" for most of the past 10 years. My point is the program ahs a chieved a level where even loyal fans are not interested anymore

See, that statement lacks any foundation in reality. Maybe not in a video game of college football, but in the real world of college football you have no clue where we were prior to ten years ago and how much it took the program to have the last ten years. Four bowl games. Two shared BCS conference championships?

Yes, the last ten years were good. Period.

Reaction Score
what am i missing. no one is telling me how to spend my money, but i'm watching diehards tell casual fans how to spend theres or if they dont they are pussys and not uconn fans blah blah? am i not watching that? this argument is that we have "fair weather" fans who are posting things like "im done" or "not going" or "sending my tix back". whaler is calling them front runners. the stance is that those "front running" fans are not worth our time and aren't fans of uconn.

my stance is that no matter casual or diehard fan, they are a type of fan that spends money and time on uconn. both types of fans are key to us building a fanbase. the other side doesn't like these fair weather fans and is calling them out for giving up on this program right now.

when die hards call out casual fans, what your saying is i think u should do xzy with your money and time. if a casual fan doesn't want to watch ****ty fball, who the **** are you to tell him to go watch anyway. there is a reason hes a casual fan and not a diehard. when a diehard starts calling our casual fans front runners and doesn't want them around becuase they are done with this staff, nothing good comes of it.

if your a diehard, go to games and do your thing. if your a casual fan, you do your thing and go to games as u please. thats how the fanhood works. i dont see casual fans posting up here that instead of going to the rent friday night, u guys should all go up the vt and ski all weekend. do u see any posts like that where casual fans tell u to do that and say otherwise you are no good to skiing and suck as a human being? i don't see any posts like that. but i do see diehards telling casual fans they are "front runners" and not worthy of uconn blah blah.

considering the size off this fanbase, its bull **** for diehard fans to be pooping on casual fans. this isn't bama or michigan. we can't fill 100k stadiums on the easy. we should instead be turning them into diehard fans. calling them out doesn't help that cause. let causal fans be pissed about this staff and not show up or not watch or w/e it is they do to support the program. warde and susan will see the views drop, money stop and act acordingly i hope. the casual fan is how u judge your product value. the diehard fan never stops.

so basically bl, since u joined this mess i ask u whats a front runner? does a team need to be a winner at some point in order to have front running fans? are casual fans all front runners? or is whaler just a clown ass? or am i just the ****ing scum of the earth?

Do not go if you don't want to go. I can't be more clear than that. But people who don't go will not be looked at as being the same level of fan as those who do go. For what should be obvious reasons.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well from 2007-2009 off the top of my head they were 11-10. How was UConn in the Big East after he left?

I'll answer for you. 3-10 or 4-9.

Here is your test. What's better? 16-12 or 4-9?

Does Pasqualoni's failures make Edsall a better coach? Please explain.

Prior to 2010, when the Big East was a train wreck of a league, Edsall was 14-21 in Big East play. Only Syracuse was worse from 2005 to 2009.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Right on the money. Small thinkers, weak leaders trying to look good by saving a few bucks instead of making the investments required. They want to take no risk, but think somehow they will reap huge returns. Warde is a small time hire. PP was a low cost, small time hire. Ollie (who I adore) is another hedge hire. The conference debacle also is a symptom of Storrs non leadership failing to get ahead of an obvious unfolding issue.

Anybody who thinks this program is in free fall from a few bad breaks is missing the picture. You have abject incompetence in Storrs from Hathaway onward.

i agree with most of this but i am a KO guy. anyway, yes there is a level of incompetence that most of this board is missing. some of the things done already wouldnt fly at a big boy school. the students and fans would have burt campuses down over the issues. today i was driving and came up to a light out of power. a crew was working and a guy was directing ppl to turn around 1 by one and follow a detour. one by one cars turned around. the car in front of me was a gray benz with a guy 50 years old lets say as a guess. he slowly turned around and when he got straight he stoped and was just looking around. he held up traffic for a couple minutes. i got pissed but just sat and beeped like others. now that guy was pretty small time thinking about where he was going. he was able to pull the turn off but couldnt handle the next step which was get the out of the way of others even if your lost. he couldnt figure out to pull over 20 ft down the road. but hey, he has a benz and prob a nice job and lots of money so hes big time. and being big time others will follow and think you are something. ppl who have any common sense, street smarts or fiscal balls know hes an incomptent guy who will lead u down the wrong strreet instead of the detour.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Do not go if you don't want to go. I can't be more clear than that. But people who don't go will not be looked at as being the same level of fan as those who do go. For what should be obvious reasons.

i agree and thats fine. but if some one chooses to be a casual fan, why treat them like becuase u are a better fan(in your eyes/$wise w/e the reason). just let them be a casual fan and voice there opinion.

Reaction Score
uote="HuskyfanDan, post: 378538, member: 45"]i agree and thats fine. but if some one chooses to be a casual fan, why treat them like **** becuase u are a better fan(in your eyes/$wise w/e the reason). just let them be a casual fan and voice there opinion.[/quote]

O.K. I agree with that. I'm not sure who is telling you you then couldn't voice your opinion, but of course you can.

Reaction Score
Right on the money. Small thinkers, weak leaders trying to look good by saving a few bucks instead of making the investments required. They want to take no risk, but think somehow they will reap huge returns. Warde is a small time hire. PP was a low cost, small time hire. Ollie (who I adore) is another hedge hire. The conference debacle also is a symptom of Storrs non leadership failing to get ahead of an obvious unfolding issue.

Anybody who thinks this program is in free fall from a few bad breaks is missing the picture. You have abject incompetence in Storrs from Hathaway onward.

Why the extreme venom for Herbst/Manuel?? Seems to me ( I could be wrong) - this goes beyond Football. Did you not get an interview?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
uote="HuskyfanDan, post: 378538, member: 45"]i agree and thats fine. but if some one chooses to be a casual fan, why treat them like **** becuase u are a better fan(in your eyes/$wise w/e the reason). just let them be a casual fan and voice there opinion.

O.K. I agree with that. I'm not sure who is telling you you then couldn't voice your opinion, but of course you can.[/quote]

i'll voice my opinion on here as i do which is a lot. its a public message board. im not a casual fan. im a bit more than that. but u dont see me telling others things about there fan hood and such. that was the issue. this thread wasn't about me as a fan bl. i think your trying to be a funny guy and call me a casual fan, if thats the case then u and whaler should go in the woods somewhere as u 2 are 2 of the major haters here.

Reaction Score
O.K. I agree with that. I'm not sure who is telling you you then couldn't voice your opinion, but of course you can.

i'll voice my opinion on here as i do which is a lot. its a public message board. im not a casual fan. im a bit more than that. but u dont see me telling others things about there fan hood and such. that was the issue. this thread wasn't about me as a fan bl. i think your trying to be a funny guy and call me a casual fan, if thats the case then u and whaler should go **** in the woods somewhere as u 2 are 2 of the major haters here.[/quote]

Are you drinking? I was telling you you were right. I was not calling you a casual fan.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
what am i missing. no one is telling me how to spend my money, but i'm watching diehards tell casual fans how to spend theres or if they dont they are pussys and not uconn fans blah blah? am i not watching that? this argument is that we have "fair weather" fans who are posting things like "im done" or "not going" or "sending my tix back". whaler is calling them front runners. the stance is that those "front running" fans are not worth our time and aren't fans of uconn.

my stance is that no matter casual or diehard fan, they are a type of fan that spends money and time on uconn. both types of fans are key to us building a fanbase. the other side doesn't like these fair weather fans and is calling them out for giving up on this program right now.

when die hards call out casual fans, what your saying is i think u should do xzy with your money and time. if a casual fan doesn't want to watch ****ty fball, who the **** are you to tell him to go watch anyway. there is a reason hes a casual fan and not a diehard. when a diehard starts calling our casual fans front runners and doesn't want them around becuase they are done with this staff, nothing good comes of it.

if your a diehard, go to games and do your thing. if your a casual fan, you do your thing and go to games as u please. thats how the fanhood works. i dont see casual fans posting up here that instead of going to the rent friday night, u guys should all go up the vt and ski all weekend. do u see any posts like that where casual fans tell u to do that and say otherwise you are no good to skiing and suck as a human being? i don't see any posts like that. but i do see diehards telling casual fans they are "front runners" and not worthy of uconn blah blah.

considering the size off this fanbase, its bull **** for diehard fans to be pooping on casual fans. this isn't bama or michigan. we can't fill 100k stadiums on the easy. we should instead be turning them into diehard fans. calling them out doesn't help that cause. let causal fans be pissed about this staff and not show up or not watch or w/e it is they do to support the program. warde and susan will see the views drop, money stop and act acordingly i hope. the casual fan is how u judge your product value. the diehard fan never stops.

so basically bl, since u joined this mess i ask u whats a front runner? does a team need to be a winner at some point in order to have front running fans? are casual fans all front runners? or is whaler just a clown ass? or am i just the ****ing scum of the earth?

None of this was ever about casual fans - unless you think the Boneyard posters are 'casual fans'.

You really struggle with the whole reading thing don't you?

I have not told anyone what to do or how to spend their money. If you go back to the original post I used the word 'surprised'. I am legitimately surprised that fans who are invested enough to post on a message board would stop going to home games. Not drive to Syracuse. Not fly to South Florida. Go to frigging East Hartford and use tickets they in theory already have to see one of the 6 opportunities we get to go to a home game.

If you want to argue the semantics of front runner or fair weather. The people who stay home the last two games fit the generally accepted definition of both.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
here we go again.... i'll mail it in and start drinking soon as result. i dream of a day when there are serious ppl handling the biz in storrs. if susan and warde can step up and become that then thats fine with me. i'll wait and make my decision on them on janurary 2nd 2013. go dogs

Reaction Score
None of this was ever about casual fans - unless you think the Boneyard posters are 'casual fans'.

You really struggle with the whole reading thing don't you?

I have not told anyone what to do or how to spend their money. If you go back to the original post I used the word 'surprised'. I am legitimately surprised that fans who are invested enough to post on a message board would stop going to home games. Not drive to Syracuse. Not fly to South Florida. Go to frigging East Hartford and use tickets they in theory already have to see one of the 6 opportunities we get to go to a home game.

If you want to argue the semantics of front runner or fair weather. The people who stay home the last two games fit the generally accepted definition of both.
Am I a fair weather fan because I don't want to miss the bball game to tailgate in 40 degree weather then sit on cold ass metal bleachers and watch us lose to Pitt by 30 points? I'll watch the game on TV but my priority has always been hoops. If Our AD and president had a clue and set up a viewing party on a big screen outside the rent on Friday night I'd be there but I'm not missing a hoops game

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Does Pasqualoni's failures make Edsall a better coach? Please explain.

Prior to 2010, when the Big East was a train wreck of a league, Edsall was 14-21 in Big East play. Only Syracuse was worse from 2005 to 2009.

Pure Waylon gold. Now the league he spent so many nights defending was a 'train wreck of a league'. When I would point out how bad the league was I 'hated UConn' and 'self-identified' as a UConn fan.

I will ignore the idiocy of selective endpoints on a conference record of a team upgrading from 1-AA to the 6th best 1-A league because even Waylon knows it's an stupid argument, he just has nothing else at his disposal.

Obviously Pasqualoni's failures make Edsall's tenure look better. Maybe it just isn't that easy to win 8 games in a BCS league when you are located in a geography that doesn't produce BCS level players in a similar quantity to most of the rest of the country where BCS programs exist. Maybe when you have a 38,500 seat stadium and zero tradition it isn't that easy to keep the few big time recruits home when they are recruited by Florida or Penn State.

Maybe at some point the Edsall bashers will just admit they were wrong and say you know what - that guy did a good job. Maybe that would be easier than continuing to argue pure stupidity. Maybe.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i agree and thats fine. but if some one chooses to be a casual fan, why treat them like **** becuase u are a better fan(in your eyes/$wise w/e the reason). just let them be a casual fan and voice there opinion.

Feel free to quote the posts where anyone said anything about casual fans or their right to voice their opinion. Can't wait to reread them.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Am I a fair weather fan because I don't want to miss the bball game to tailgate in 40 degree weather then sit on cold ass metal bleachers and watch us lose to Pitt by 30 points? I'll watch the game on TV but my priority has always been hoops. If Our AD and president had a clue and set up a viewing party on a big screen outside the rent on Friday night I'd be there but I'm not missing a hoops game

Would you be at the football game if they were 7-2 (3-1)?

Anyway it really isn't that difficult to take in the basketball game on television near the Rent and then go to the football game.

In short, yes if you stop going to the games because you don't think the team is going to win - then yes that is the definition of a fair weather fan. Seems odd people take it as an insult, it's just what the term means.

Reaction Score
Like Sean I never considered not going. I'll be there next year buying season tickets. Hopefully we'll be better some day. Everything is upside down right now on many fronts but I believe we will come out of this. The rest of the year will be very difficult for the players so we have to show up.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Pure Waylon gold. Now the league he spent so many nights defending was a 'train wreck of a league'. When I would point out how bad the league was I 'hated UConn' and 'self-identified' as a UConn fan.

I will ignore the idiocy of selective endpoints on a conference record of a team upgrading from 1-AA to the 6th best 1-A league because even Waylon knows it's an stupid argument, he just has nothing else at his disposal.

Obviously Pasqualoni's failures make Edsall's tenure look better. Maybe it just isn't that easy to win 8 games in a BCS league when you are located in a geography that doesn't produce BCS level players in a similar quantity to most of the rest of the country where BCS programs exist. Maybe when you have a 38,500 seat stadium and zero tradition it isn't that easy to keep the few big time recruits home when they are recruited by Florida or Penn State.

Maybe at some point the Edsall bashers will just admit they were wrong and say you know what - that guy did a good job. Maybe that would be easier than continuing to argue pure stupidity. Maybe.

If UConn hires a better coach next time, does that make Pasqualoni and Edsall worse? And all those obstacles that applied to Edsall also serve as excuses for Pasqualoni, right?

There is talent everywhere. That is no excuse. UConn is a very strong academic school in a rich state and has a very successful athletic program. The football program's wanderings between mediocrity and failure can not be blamed on anyone but the football program.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Feel free to quote the posts where anyone said anything about casual fans or their right to voice their opinion. Can't wait to reread them.

in the first page the reason this all started was u and bl went back and forth and u mentioned "casul fans". are u really that out there? yes your right, u have never spoke those words ever before until this post and i put those words in your mouth.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Oh I fully understand the difference. I'm not surprised if the casual fans toss in the towel - I'm specifically surprised that so many here who care enough to post as much as they do and are so engaged with the team are walking away from going to home games.

you clearly think everyone here is a diehard. thats where your basic part of your argument is wrong. not all here are like u and bl. some are casual but have iphones or laptops so they can google uconn on a tuesday night boared watching the kids and read us argue about what they are going to see on saturday with a buddy and a few brews.

nope i dont see "casual fan" anywhere in your post....

Reaction Score

There are Republicans I know in the tri-state area still without power clinging to their stated position that climate change doesn't exist. Don't hold your breath.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If UConn hires a better coach next time, does that make Pasqualoni and Edsall worse? And all those obstacles that applied to Edsall also serve as excuses for Pasqualoni, right?

There is talent everywhere. That is no excuse. UConn is a very strong academic school in a rich state and has a very successful athletic program. The football program's wanderings between mediocrity and failure can not be blamed on anyone but the football program.

If someone can show they can win more than Edsall did it would make his contributions look less impressive. If the next guy loses too it will make his contributions more impressive.

That is the standard by which every coach in the country is judged. This is why Jim Grobe is a folk hero and Ron Zook keeps getting fired.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I should chime in (which means I shouldn't chime in), but here goes:

I have always felt that people have the right to do with their money what they please. I cannot in good conscience tell someone that they should continue to go to every game when I'm not the one buying their tickets. HOWEVER, the situation in NCAA major sports is this; the attendance of a fanbase is the driver of major sports success. There is no way around it. There is a reason why UConn Women's hoops is always on top, and that is because there is pretty much nowhere else in the country where these young women can play in front of 15,000 people. There is a reason why Boise State has been successful every year in football (last night not withstanding), because they sell out their stadium with fantastic, color-coordinated, supportive fans, making Idaho a prime destination for recruits (take that last part of the sentence in for a minute).

Recruits want to be in a great atmosphere. Coaches want to coach in a great atmosphere. Good recruits + good coaches = a good product; the math can't be any simpler. So again, if you want to stay home, that's certainly within your right to do so. But keep in mind what the long-term ramifications are for the team that you love...

...alright, let the UCD bashing begin...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
you clearly think everyone here is a diehard. thats where your basic part of your argument is wrong. not all here are like u and bl. some are casual but have iphones or laptops so they can google uconn on a tuesday night boared watching the kids and read us argue about what they are going to see on saturday with a buddy and a few brews.

nope i dont see "casual fan" anywhere in your post....

Ok if my expectation that those that spend time on message boards aren't generally more die hard than 'casual fans' you win. That seems idiotic to me - but I apologize to the casual fans that have hundreds of posts on a message board.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I'm not sure I should chime in (which means I shouldn't chime in), but here goes:

I have always felt that people have the right to do with their money what they please. I cannot in good conscience tell someone that they should continue to go to every game when I'm not the one buying their tickets. HOWEVER, the situation in NCAA major sports is this; the attendance of a fanbase is the driver of major sports success. There is no way around it. There is a reason why UConn Women's hoops is always on top, and that is because there is pretty much nowhere else in the country where these young women can play in front of 15,000 people. There is a reason why Boise State has been successful every year in football (last night not withstanding), because they sell out their stadium with fantastic, color-coordinated, supportive fans, making Idaho a prime destination for recruits (take that last part of the sentence in for a minute).

Recruits want to be in a great atmosphere. Coaches want to coach in a great atmosphere. Good recruits + good coaches = a good product; the math can't be any simpler. So again, if you want to stay home, that's certainly within your right to do so. But keep in mind what the long-term ramifications are for the team that you love...

...alright, let the UCD bashing begin...

im going to bash away ready? done. well said as usual.

if a poster says i naver said the word "casual fan" in a thread. then u look at the thread from the begining and on the first page he mentions the word "casual fan" in starting a argument with bl, would u think hes a clown ass? or is the competence level here just that dam low?

thats like me telling u i just went to the uconn game on page 1 and on page 6 when u ask me about the atmosphere i reply saying i never went to the game, when did i ever say that?

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Ok if my expectation that those that spend time on message boards aren't generally more die hard than 'casual fans' you win. That seems idiotic to me - but I apologize to the casual fans that have hundreds of posts on a message board.

again your trying to be sarcastic but u are missing it. recently many posters have started threads about being done or mailing tix etc. several of those have been posters with almost no posts who are just casual fans and members here to get info as needed or enjoyment wise. clown on...
but lets talk about the basics like if u did or didnt say "casual fans" earlier in this thread...basics first, then the hard stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom