The Fantastic Four | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I didn't like The Core 4 initially but I like it now and even The Fantastic 4 etc. These 4 players are All-American quality. ANd we have had Big 3 before so I see no reason to not coin a cool phrase. I didn't like it much before because I was like many on here, I wasn't sure what this team would be other than I expected an Elite 8 then depending on matchups we can continue to go farther. Now I'm just amazed of NOT ONLY the Core 4 but the bench -- ALL THREE OF THE BENCH had enormous impacts, keeping us as number 1 and being undefeated. I'm thrilled.

But the Core 4, the player who has surprised me the most is Gabby. Can't say enough about everything she does and being just 5'10 or so. If you would have told ne she would lead the team in assists, I would have said "no way." Her ability to compete everywhere on the floor. What I would like to see she be able to do before she graduates (other than win 2 more titles) is hit 3's.

But the beauty of this team is that they have JUST ENOUGH answers to cause bigger teams trouble. The 4 can all shoot, pass and dribble. You zone them- they can shoot the hell out of the ball. Lou and Nurse are terrific shooters from 3 and Chong and Collier and up until recently so was Danger - they just cause a great concern to play them zone. You go man to man, Gabby and Collier are so darn athletic and skilled. Then throw in a little inside from Lou and Nat.

ANd because of all their guards and their ability to pass and shoot along with Gabby being like a guard - they have "options" to defeat a gimmick defense. They have just enough offensive versatility from all over the floor to be extremely dangerous. The have 4 All-American caliber players. The have had 2 bench players and a 5th starter able to bring something different than the 4 starters and add their mark. It's amazing to think Chong vs FSU, Danger vs Baylor and Nat vs Texas (I know they've played other good games) helped the COre 4/Fantastic Four remain unblemished.

It really is remarkable so far. But I think the 4 players deserve credit to being potential A/A's. That differentiates them from the other 3.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Ah, I am dense. Nope, Cape Briton.

I love Cape Breton. Being on the rocky shore makes me feel like I'm standing in a National Geographic cover.

Reaction Score
"Fantastic 4"... I kinda love that.

images
I REALLY like this, as well! Core 4 sounds rather mundane. I know this group has been referred to as "blue collar", but from my seat, the way they are gelling as a team makes them more electric every game. However, I am happy to reserve the "Fant4stic" moniker for the "Fin4al".

Reaction Score
I would prefer a nickname that involves the whole team. Dont know what that is, however. Ultimately, nicknames just seem to catch on with the general public or not.

I think of the team as Geno's Swiss Army Knife. There is not one huge blade, but several different types of blades that can be used for different things, many interchangeably. Extremely versatile and adaptable to different situations. There are some blades that are rarely used but can be pulled out at crucial times. And there are some that are still being honed for later use.

Reaction Score
Question: Why do some have issues with any name that excludes Chong when everyone was ok with The Big Three from the past 2 years? That excluded 2 players from the starting five..

While I agree with the talent displayed by your core group .I feel it is demeaning to at least three of the Huskies ,Soniya Dangerfield and Natalie. With out those three you would have at least two losses. FSU and Baylor. It is also a team sport with different roles for different players. If the core four were that good why not just start the "core four" against South Carolina ?

Reaction Score
KLS’s emerging and almost unstoppable offensive game is fun to watch. She can shoot the three, shoot the pull-up 15 footer and drive to the basket. She has a variety of moves and is starting to use her left hand. She is running the floor which results in some easy baskets. If she learns to survive the bumping, banging and grinding she will inevitably face she will likely be an All-American and a serious NPOY candidate this year. So far, she has shown grit and toughness (mental and physical). As she gets physically stronger her game will only get better … and she may become an unstoppable force on offense. Her defense has made large strides this year already. She is starting to challenge shots (even blocking some). She is starting to crash the boards with authority and effect. She shows something new almost every game. She is an elite talent and is getting elitier (yeah, there should be such a word). My fear for her is injury, but if she stays healthy….

Collier’s all around game continues to surprise. She will score on a variety of inside moves, rebound-put-backs and a deadly short to mid-range jumper (not to mention a three pointer here and there). She has an uncanny knack for getting rebounds and gets them at key times. She also keeps the ball alive off the glass for the team to capitalize on. As she continues to improve and refine her offensive game and cements her offensive confidence she will get better and better. When she doesn’t hesitate on her shot she is smooth and accurate. Her defense will continue to improve. I believe that will come to be a plus component of her game over time. She has the strength and lateral movement and the instincts to become a very, very good defender. That will come in time. Not hard to see “All-American” in her future … and maybe even this year. She is heading towards being a great all around talent and every game she is getting closerer and closerer (yeah, there should be such a word) to that level.

Gabby Williams is a Rock. At 5’11” she plays center against players 4, 5, and even 6 inches taller. She holds her own with incredible physical ability, great instincts and a refusal to give in. She never complains about her situation. She accepts the banging of women much bigger than she is. She rebounds with the best of them. Her toughness is unmatched. She runs the “high” part of their offense. She is a good passer but still makes ill-advised passes and creates turnovers here and there. But you have to be willing to accept that to some extent. As she figures out what she can and can’t do from the top of the key her turnovers will decrease. Gabby runs the floor and seems to have virtually limitless energy. Her offensive game is evolving. She is great around the basket. She is amazingly quick off her feet. As she gets more confidence and consistency in her 15-foot and extended jump shot she will be unstoppable. She is never too high or too low. She is also emerging as the team leader. She seems wise beyond her years. Doesn’t blame others and sees herself and the team with clear eyes. She is the unbreakable, calming spirit of the team.

Nurse shows grit and determination. She brings the defensive toughness that we are used to seeing on UConn teams. She takes pride in her defense. She will bump and grind with the best of them. She can wear you out defensively. Her open three point shot has found its groove and is a dagger. The other parts of her offensive game are still under construction. She drives to the basket on little savvy and shear force. Sometimes that works and sometimes … more savvy would have been better. But as a third option on offense she is a very, very, very nice piece. She also is emerging as a team leader. She doesn’t need to carry that mantle alone. She is part of the glue of this team and is getting gluier and gluier (yeah, there should be such a word).

These four with great assists from Chong, Dangerfield and Butler are perhaps the most surprising UConn team (along with the rest of the bench). Not in the fact that they are winning a lot but that they are refusing to lose at all.
(Sorry for the length, I couldn't sleep last night).
I like "THE FAB FOUR"

Reaction Score
Question: Why do some have issues with any name that excludes Chong when everyone was ok with The Big Three from the past 2 years? That excluded 2 players from the starting five..
I think that the easy justification for the name, "Big 3" is that they came to UConn in the same class, they developed and became great together, winning an unprecedented 4 NC's, then left UConn as the top 3 draft choices in the WNBA. Of course, there were many outstanding and invaluable teammates contributing equal amounts energy, dedication and talent, but Stewie, Mo and Morgan became the core of the success. They will always be the "Big 3".

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Not since Grantland Rice. ;)

Grantland was, I believe, from Danger's (BTW, great name for a fifth Horseman or Horsewoman) hometown in Tennessee. Borrowing from John of Patmos and from Vicente Blasco Ibáñez, Tennessean Rice wrote:

"Outlined against a blue-gray October sky the Four Horsemen rode again. In dramatic lore they are known as famine, pestilence, destruction and death. These are only aliases. Their real names are: Stuhldreher, Miller, Crowley and Layden. They formed the crest of the South Bend cyclone before which another fighting Army team was swept over the precipice at the Polo Grounds this afternoon as 55,000 spectators peered down upon the bewildering panorama spread out upon the green plain below."

So I ask you, how often can someone from Tennessee, praising people from South Bend, make us Boneyarders smile in admiration?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I thought you would respond with Johnny Damon, although I understand the antipathy after Damon decided to join the Evil Empire as a free agent. It will be interesting to see what happens to Mr. Schilling if he attempts to run as a GOP senate candidate from the State of MA.

p.s. Aaron !#$%&?! Boone

Reaction Score
An interesting series of posts that stretch the imagination for both superlatives (UCONN women) and denigration (Yankee's primarily) but the word "irrelevant" is most applicable. Why? Because to these women it is totally irrelevant what they are called. They are focused on the one thing that interest them and the coaches: how to achieve the team's potential while playing basketball. All else is irrelevant fluff, entertaining to BY'ers (including me) but nothing the subjects of the discussion aspire to, of course IMO.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
So in addition to having problems with Yankee fans (The Core Four) and Marvel Comics (The Fantastic Four), you are suggesting that we also irritate Beatle Fans by using "The Fab Four." :cool:
LOL... Everybody has an issue about something you just can't please everyone.. I believed I mentioned the "core four" on another forum before it was published, when I saw a referenced about the new big three.. Glad to see it grew some legs :)

So let's not ruffle anyone's feathers and aim for originality, here are a few other suggestions:

Four2Fear
Fearless Four (Five - If we are including one more starter)
The Finest Four..
After Three, More destiny..
FourHorsemen..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
LOL... Everybody has an issue about something you just can't please everyone.. I believed I mentioned the "core four" on another forum before it was published, when I saw a referenced about the new big three.. Glad to see it grew some legs :)

So let's not ruffle anyone's feathers and aim for originality, here are a few other suggestions:

Four2Fear
Fearless Four (Five - If we are including one more starter)
The Finest Four..
After Three, More destiny..
FourHorsemen..
Excellent original suggestions, with the exception of the last one which I had mentioned in an earlier post...and would set up an awkward situation whereby Husky fans would be using an expression universally considered by Fighting Irish fans to have an almost reverential meaning.

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
Well, at least no one suggested that the 4 be the PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS. What a relief.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, at least no one suggested that the 4 be the PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS. What a relief.
The reference to the old MN Viking defense brings to mind the reference to the LA Ram defensive line:

The Fearsome Foursome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak