The Fantastic Four | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
As a born and bred NY-er, someone who loves all of this crazy, intricate, unbridled city to death, I say with all seriousness: F the Yankees. And forever.

Spoken like a jilted Dodger fan. Evidently, you really aren't one "who loves ALL of this crazy, intricate, unbridled city to death" since the Yanks are still there and it was your beloved Dodgers that left you standing at the alter. It happened a long time ago, get over it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Spoken like a jilted Dodger fan. Evidently, you really aren't one "who loves ALL of this crazy, intricate, unbridled city to death" since the Yanks are still there and it was your beloved Dodgers that left you standing at the alter. It happened a long time ago, get over it.
You assume much. My dislike of the Yankee's has nothing to do with my love of the old Brooklyn Dodgers. I dislike the current Dodgers because of their betrayal. I'm a Met fan my friend, and a Jet fan. From their inceptions. Also a Cub, Raiders, Steelers, Knicks, Nets and USC fan. Not too many big winners in that group. You sound like a typical front runner fan. You love winners? I love the sports. Your redeeming value seems to be your love of UConn, of which I became a watcher in '91 against NC State. Yeah, perhaps I overstated. I don't love "everything" in this mad city of mine. Are you a resident?

Reaction Score
That's okay. Try the New York Football Giants! Everybody in New England loves them!

:)
So wrong! I can't stand the Giants and haven't for the longest time. After all, aren't we all Patriots????

Reaction Score
That's okay. Try the New York Football Giants! Everybody in New England loves them!

:)
So we are talking about the New York Football Giants from New Jersey? Didn't they also run out on New York for greener pastures????? How can they not be as bad as the San Francisco Giants or LA Dodgers????

Reaction Score
While I agree with the talent displayed by your core group .I feel it is demeaning to at least three of the Huskies ,Soniya Dangerfield and Natalie. With out those three you would have at least two losses. FSU and Baylor. It is also a team sport with different roles for different players. If the core four were that good why not just start the "core four" against South Carolina ?
When people were referring to the Jeter, Rivera, Posada, Pettite Yankees, I seem to remember they had 21 other players that contributed in one manner or another. I don't remember Yankee fans crying that the others weren't being given the proper respect.

Reaction Score
I had this tee shirt for years. I wore it to Disney World and must have gotten high 5's from about 50 people.

ISTTRWBYST-2.jpg
One of the reasons a lot of people had problems with the Yankees, particularly after Steinbrenner took over, was that they were buying pennants and World Series. It's a bit ironic that one of Steinbrenner's partners inevitably became a Red Sox owner and has helped the Red Sox buy themselves some championships. Do you remember the disastrous group of big contract players they somehow managed to send off to the Dodgers who are another rendition of the same coin? That trade a few years back saved the Red Sox skin by ridding massive contracts on players that certainly didn't justify the money they were getting paid.

Reaction Score
If Curt gets in the HOF, after adding 5 mph to his fastball at age 38, then open up the doors for Bonds, McGuire and all the other juicers.
He wasn't alone. Poppy did himself some serious enhancement stuff. Then too, there was Manny, right?

Reaction Score
I thought you would respond with Johnny Damon, although I understand the antipathy after Damon decided to join the Evil Empire as a free agent. It will be interesting to see what happens to Mr. Schilling if he attempts to run as a GOP senate candidate from the State of MA.

p.s. Aaron !#$%&?! Boone
Being a big Yankee fan, I really disliked Johnny Damon (particularly with his caveman look while still with Boston) but always respected him as a special player. He contributed in so many ways for the Red Sox and then he did exactly the same thing for the Bombers. He had a weak arm but in every other way, with his bat and his glove and his legs, he could play some ball.

Reaction Score
You assume much. My dislike of the Yankee's has nothing to do with my love of the old Brooklyn Dodgers. I dislike the current Dodgers because of their betrayal. I'm a Met fan my friend, and a Jet fan. From their inceptions. Also a Cub, Raiders, Steelers, Knicks, Nets and USC fan. Not too many big winners in that group. You sound like a typical front runner fan. You love winners? I love the sports. Your redeeming value seems to be your love of UConn, of which I became a watcher in '91 against NC State. Yeah, perhaps I overstated. I don't love "everything" in this mad city of mine. Are you a resident?

Yes, I've lived in the city my entire life.
(Born in Queens, high school in Brooklyn, college in Manhattan)
While I may have assumed much, it appears that the assumption was fairly accurate. As for myself, I became a Yankee fan at the age of seven. It was a period when there was only one baseball team in NY so your "frontrunner" comment was yet another arrow that missed it's target.
USC !!!??? I'll make another assumption here and assume that you mean the real USC as in Trojans. Great RB game.
Fight On. (My oldest is an alumnus )

Reaction Score
Despite Crystal Dangerfield's tremendous upside, she is 'presently' NOT an excellent "REPLACEMENT" for Saniya Chong (rather an excellent compliment to the "STARTING FIVE" (as is Natalie Butler)
I understand the feelings for Chong--I have them too. Replacement --used in the short term means--subbing--next year in the long term--Dangerfield shall certainly be Chong's replacement. However, certain teams are faster and Chong isn't that fast, with those teams (excluding errors in judgement) Crystal may be a better match. My point is Chong is Senior and the 5th starter (starter say Geno trusts her)--why isn't she given the respect those (senior/starter) should get??

Reaction Score
Question: Why do some have issues with any name that excludes Chong when everyone was ok with The Big Three from the past 2 years? That excluded 2 players from the starting five..
Because those 2 were not Seniors or upper class men. As a Senior and a Starter, Geno by doing that, gives her a modicum of respect--isn't proper for the By to do the same?? Geno touts Katie Lou, Gabby, Napheseea and Kia --they get more than their fair share of adulation--the By is the UC Women Cheering team--it doesn't cost one cent of money or enthusiasm to open the door and allow Chong to enter???

Reaction Score
Proudly wearing my Yankee sweatshirt today. 27!!

When I lived in CT and frequently went to games at Yankee stadium there were no "Red Sox Suck" t-shirts - only Red Sox fans wore the "Yankees Suck" version. It was a one-sided rivalry - Red Sox fans hated the Yankees but Yankee fans just considered the Red Sox another loser wannabe team.
I considered the Sox and Yankees MY team--both. My wife and her family could/can only seen one team
that played Baseball as it should be played---the Brooklyn Dodger--the ONLY Dodgers!!

Reaction Score
OK, this whole name thing is creating some serious problems. Everyone has been using "Core Four." Even Geno started using the term. But the last thing we need is a bunch of frustrated Yankee fans lamenting the fact that they haven't won a World Championship since their Core 4 all retired.

The Fantastic 4 is a great moniker, but as soon as we all start putting it on t-shirts, hats & posters we will be inundated with copywrite lawsuits.

We need something new. How about the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?" Nobody has ever used that, right? :rolleyes:
Na---I saw that movie--it ended bad (ly) --otherwise a great choice if you add plus ONE.

Reaction Score
Question: Why do some have issues with any name that excludes Chong when everyone was ok with The Big Three from the past 2 years? That excluded 2 players from the starting five..

I've read the explanations and those explanations seem completely irrelevant to me. But . . . to each his own.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Here is the original fearsome foursome, looking more like the wimpy foursome........................................

foursome.jpg

Reaction Score
Antonelli s mid season top All Americans Plum, Mitchell, KLS, Wilson and Coates, said Turner was ineffective at the high post!

JordyG

Reaction Score
Yes, I've lived in the city my entire life.
(Born in Queens, high school in Brooklyn, college in Manhattan)
While I may have assumed much, it appears that the assumption was fairly accurate. As for myself, I became a Yankee fan at the age of seven. It was a period when there was only one baseball team in NY so your "frontrunner" comment was yet another arrow that missed it's target.
USC !!!??? I'll make another assumption here and assume that you mean the real USC as in Trojans. Great RB game.
Fight On. (My oldest is an alumnus )
You assumed I disliked the Yankee's because of my love of the old Dodgers. WRONG! They used to call that pretzel logic. It's grossly inaccurate. I dislike the Yankee's because to me they epitomize everything about sports I dislike: Buying championships, fans that barely tolerate like baseball but LOVE the Yankee's, old fashioned attitudes about what is "good for the sport", and Yankee arrogant head honcho's and fans.

Yes, I mean SoCal. I see because of your kid you do have good qualities. Too bad they don't extend to baseball. Hopefully your Queens and Brooklyn friends still give you hell for rooting for corporate baseball. In case you haven't noticed aside from being a longtime UConn lover, I root for a lot of teams considered losers or bad franchises. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Reaction Score
You assumed I disliked the Yankee's because of my love of the old Dodgers. WRONG! They used to call that pretzel logic. It's grossly inaccurate. I dislike the Yankee's because to me they epitomize everything about sports I dislike: Buying championships, fans that barely tolerate like baseball but LOVE the Yankee's, old fashioned attitudes about what is "good for the sport", and Yankee arrogant head honcho's and fans.

Yes, I mean SoCal. I see because of your kid you do have good qualities. Too bad they don't extend to baseball. Hopefully your Queens and Brooklyn friends still give you hell for rooting for corporate baseball. In case you haven't noticed aside from being a longtime UConn lover, I root for a lot of teams considered losers or bad franchises. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I'm glad to see that you don't generalize and paint an entire fan base with the broad brush strokes of your personal prejudices !! You really should consider using qualifiers (e.g. most, many, some) unless of course you meant to deal in absolutes. Your
diatribe didn't leave room for even a single exception.
I became a Yankee fan when there were no other baseball teams in NY, so the choices were somewhat limited.
Tell me, after you first became a Dodger fan, did you like the Yankees too ? And did you really rationalize the reasons for choosing the Dodgers over the other 2 NY teams, or any other team for that matter ? (i.e. I can't root for the Yankees, their fans "have old fashioned attitudes about what is good for the sport" !!) Why don't I think it happened that way ?
More likely it was a question of geography or the influence of friends and family. The rationalizations come latter.
You could have joined an exclusive club (there are presently zero members but I'm optimistic I can find one !). That group would be people, who I've met, who use to be Brooklyn Dodger fans that became Yankees fans after the Dodgers left town. All of the jilted Dodger fans, that I've spoken to, admitted to me that they could never root for the Yanks because their Dodger DNA wouldn't allow them to do so. Instead, they waited a few years and rooted for the Mets when they came into existence. Sound familiar ?
I'm curious. Did you stop rooting for the Mets during the 1992 season ? You know, that was the "Worst team that money could buy" Mets, who happened to have the highest payroll in MLB (Did they try to buy a pennant ?) and still lost 90 games. I suspect you still remained a fan.
I'm also a lifelong NY Knick fan but I don't think I deserve special recognition because I root for an historically bad team. To true fans, their teams are like family. Good or bad, it's still your team.
My apologies to my fellow boneyarders for dragging them into this not so private tet a tet.

Reaction Score
That doesn't sting at all.. The Yankees already had a few titles under their belt..lol I don't hate the Red Sox the way Red Sox fans hate the Yankees. I don't really "get" that. I love a rivalry sure - but that stuff is a little extreme for me as a fan. To each his own!

JordyG

Reaction Score
I'm glad to see that you don't generalize and paint an entire fan base with the broad brush strokes of your personal prejudices !! You really should consider using qualifiers (e.g. most, many, some) unless of course you meant to deal in absolutes. Your
diatribe didn't leave room for even a single exception.
I became a Yankee fan when there were no other baseball teams in NY, so the choices were somewhat limited.
Tell me, after you first became a Dodger fan, did you like the Yankees too ? And did you really rationalize the reasons for choosing the Dodgers over the other 2 NY teams, or any other team for that matter ? (i.e. I can't root for the Yankees, their fans "have old fashioned attitudes about what is good for the sport" !!) Why don't I think it happened that way ?
More likely it was a question of geography or the influence of friends and family. The rationalizations come latter.
You could have joined an exclusive club (there are presently zero members but I'm optimistic I can find one !). That group would be people, who I've met, who use to be Brooklyn Dodger fans that became Yankees fans after the Dodgers left town. All of the jilted Dodger fans, that I've spoken to, admitted to me that they could never root for the Yanks because their Dodger DNA wouldn't allow them to do so. Instead, they waited a few years and rooted for the Mets when they came into existence. Sound familiar ?
I'm curious. Did you stop rooting for the Mets during the 1992 season ? You know, that was the "Worst team that money could buy" Mets, who happened to have the highest payroll in MLB (Did they try to buy a pennant ?) and still lost 90 games. I suspect you still remained a fan.
I'm also a lifelong NY Knick fan but I don't think I deserve special recognition because I root for an historically bad team. To true fans, their teams are like family. Good or bad, it's still your team.
My apologies to my fellow boneyarders for dragging them into this not so private tet a tet.
1) Nope. Wrong again. My Dad was a die hard Yankee fan. At 5 I was a Dodger fan. I was too young to hate the Yankee's at the time. I've always been a fan of underdogs. I meandered around baseball becoming a marginal Yankee fan until the Mets and their 40-120 record entered NY in 1962. My dislike of the Yankee's is precisely for the reasons I've stated.

2) Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you the first to generalize by saying "Spoken like a true jilted Dodger fan"? I'm just being the "Gander" here. By your definition those who became Yankee fans are not "True" fans. Also, what's so exclusive about being a Yankee fan? I became a Cub fan because I wanted to see that city win a BB championship. But I also became a big fan of their fans. Knowledgeable, and devoted fans of the game that fill that stadium no matter their team's record.

3) For the record I, like Cub fans never stopped rooting for the Mets, win or lose, and because of that I feel free to criticize. Tell me, did you even watch those Yankee years between'87 and'92? Or did you like so many Yankee fans stop going to the stadium and stop watching them on TV?

4) Even though you've terrible taste in BB teams, being a Knick fan gives you permanent dispensation for pretty much anything what you may say. But as a Met, Jet and Cub fan, I've been way up on suffering.

And I'll not apologize for having fun on this board discussing baseball with a fellow BY-er that I respect. Your Yankee taste may be is egregious, but no one's perfect. Everyone has blind spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom