The Fantastic Four | The Boneyard

The Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
KLS’s emerging and almost unstoppable offensive game is fun to watch. She can shoot the three, shoot the pull-up 15 footer and drive to the basket. She has a variety of moves and is starting to use her left hand. She is running the floor which results in some easy baskets. If she learns to survive the bumping, banging and grinding she will inevitably face she will likely be an All-American and a serious NPOY candidate this year. So far, she has shown grit and toughness (mental and physical). As she gets physically stronger her game will only get better … and she may become an unstoppable force on offense. Her defense has made large strides this year already. She is starting to challenge shots (even blocking some). She is starting to crash the boards with authority and effect. She shows something new almost every game. She is an elite talent and is getting elitier (yeah, there should be such a word). My fear for her is injury, but if she stays healthy….

Collier’s all around game continues to surprise. She will score on a variety of inside moves, rebound-put-backs and a deadly short to mid-range jumper (not to mention a three pointer here and there). She has an uncanny knack for getting rebounds and gets them at key times. She also keeps the ball alive off the glass for the team to capitalize on. As she continues to improve and refine her offensive game and cements her offensive confidence she will get better and better. When she doesn’t hesitate on her shot she is smooth and accurate. Her defense will continue to improve. I believe that will come to be a plus component of her game over time. She has the strength and lateral movement and the instincts to become a very, very good defender. That will come in time. Not hard to see “All-American” in her future … and maybe even this year. She is heading towards being a great all around talent and every game she is getting closerer and closerer (yeah, there should be such a word) to that level.

Gabby Williams is a Rock. At 5’11” she plays center against players 4, 5, and even 6 inches taller. She holds her own with incredible physical ability, great instincts and a refusal to give in. She never complains about her situation. She accepts the banging of women much bigger than she is. She rebounds with the best of them. Her toughness is unmatched. She runs the “high” part of their offense. She is a good passer but still makes ill-advised passes and creates turnovers here and there. But you have to be willing to accept that to some extent. As she figures out what she can and can’t do from the top of the key her turnovers will decrease. Gabby runs the floor and seems to have virtually limitless energy. Her offensive game is evolving. She is great around the basket. She is amazingly quick off her feet. As she gets more confidence and consistency in her 15-foot and extended jump shot she will be unstoppable. She is never too high or too low. She is also emerging as the team leader. She seems wise beyond her years. Doesn’t blame others and sees herself and the team with clear eyes. She is the unbreakable, calming spirit of the team.

Nurse shows grit and determination. She brings the defensive toughness that we are used to seeing on UConn teams. She takes pride in her defense. She will bump and grind with the best of them. She can wear you out defensively. Her open three point shot has found its groove and is a dagger. The other parts of her offensive game are still under construction. She drives to the basket on little savvy and shear force. Sometimes that works and sometimes … more savvy would have been better. But as a third option on offense she is a very, very, very nice piece. She also is emerging as a team leader. She doesn’t need to carry that mantle alone. She is part of the glue of this team and is getting gluier and gluier (yeah, there should be such a word).

These four with great assists from Chong, Dangerfield and Butler are perhaps the most surprising UConn team (along with the rest of the bench). Not in the fact that they are winning a lot but that they are refusing to lose at all.
(Sorry for the length, I couldn't sleep last night).

Reaction Score
What I like best about Lou is how she has embraced Geno's coaching in her mission to become the best all-around player she can be. From a shooter to a scorer, as Kara said. Oh, and her recent comment that Geno has her back, and that she has his too, was pretty damned cool!

Collier made the ultimate sophomore leap is is now realizing her unparalleled natural gifts as a ball magnet, rebounding machine, and effortless scorer. As good as she is now, try to imagine how good she's going to be when her development is complete. Wow, just wow!

Gabby's athleticism and attitude are in a class of one. Both inspire, driving everyone else on the team to be better in an effort to reach the standard she has set. There is simply nothing that this kid would not do for her team, and to help them secure another national championship.

The things I like best about Nurse are her tenacious defense, her fitness and consistency such that coach knows he can rely on her for the entire 40 minutes, and a walk-the-talk leadership style that has made the Huskies her team this year.

Geno is right, the fantastic four collectively are playing the best basketball in the country right now. May they remain healthy and injury free until the end of the season and beyond!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Core Four is:
Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Mariano Rivera
Andy Petitte.

Sorry but the Yankees had it first.
Good luck getting the media to change it now, because everyone from the beat writers to ESPN to SNY all call them that. As The Big Three stuck, so will Core Four. I personally don't like leaving out Saniya, but what do I know?

Reaction Score
The Core Four is:
Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Mariano Rivera
Andy Petitte.

My thoughts exactly. I always think of the Yankees when I hear "Core Four" - we need to look elsewhere. Fantastic Four is alright, but I really think the two players Williams & Collier will become the dynamic duo..LOL

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Fantastic Four
I assume you are talking about the Core Four. :cool:

Other than that, pretty good write-up.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
KLS’s emerging and almost unstoppable offensive game is fun to watch. She can shoot the three, shoot the pull-up 15 footer and drive to the basket. She has a variety of moves and is starting to use her left hand. She is running the floor which results in some easy baskets. If she learns to survive the bumping, banging and grinding she will inevitably face she will likely be an All-American and a serious NPOY candidate this year. So far, she has shown grit and toughness (mental and physical). As she gets physically stronger her game will only get better … and she may become an unstoppable force on offense. Her defense has made large strides this year already. She is starting to challenge shots (even blocking some). She is starting to crash the boards with authority and effect. She shows something new almost every game. She is an elite talent and is getting elitier (yeah, there should be such a word). My fear for her is injury, but if she stays healthy….

Collier’s all around game continues to surprise. She will score on a variety of inside moves, rebound-put-backs and a deadly short to mid-range jumper (not to mention a three pointer here and there). She has an uncanny knack for getting rebounds and gets them at key times. She also keeps the ball alive off the glass for the team to capitalize on. As she continues to improve and refine her offensive game and cements her offensive confidence she will get better and better. When she doesn’t hesitate on her shot she is smooth and accurate. Her defense will continue to improve. I believe that will come to be a plus component of her game over time. She has the strength and lateral movement and the instincts to become a very, very good defender. That will come in time. Not hard to see “All-American” in her future … and maybe even this year. She is heading towards being a great all around talent and every game she is getting closerer and closerer (yeah, there should be such a word) to that level.

Gabby Williams is a Rock. At 5’11” she plays center against players 4, 5, and even 6 inches taller. She holds her own with incredible physical ability, great instincts and a refusal to give in. She never complains about her situation. She accepts the banging of women much bigger than she is. She rebounds with the best of them. Her toughness is unmatched. She runs the “high” part of their offense. She is a good passer but still makes ill-advised passes and creates turnovers here and there. But you have to be willing to accept that to some extent. As she figures out what she can and can’t do from the top of the key her turnovers will decrease. Gabby runs the floor and seems to have virtually limitless energy. Her offensive game is evolving. She is great around the basket. She is amazingly quick off her feet. As she gets more confidence and consistency in her 15-foot and extended jump shot she will be unstoppable. She is never too high or too low. She is also emerging as the team leader. She seems wise beyond her years. Doesn’t blame others and sees herself and the team with clear eyes. She is the unbreakable, calming spirit of the team.

Nurse shows grit and determination. She brings the defensive toughness that we are used to seeing on UConn teams. She takes pride in her defense. She will bump and grind with the best of them. She can wear you out defensively. Her open three point shot has found its groove and is a dagger. The other parts of her offensive game are still under construction. She drives to the basket on little savvy and shear force. Sometimes that works and sometimes … more savvy would have been better. But as a third option on offense she is a very, very, very nice piece. She also is emerging as a team leader. She doesn’t need to carry that mantle alone. She is part of the glue of this team and is getting gluier and gluier (yeah, there should be such a word).

These four with great assists from Chong, Dangerfield and Butler are perhaps the most surprising UConn team (along with the rest of the bench). Not in the fact that they are winning a lot but that they are refusing to lose at all.

Yup. Elitier and closerer and glueier. AA for short.:)

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
"Fantastic 4"... I kinda love that.

images

Reaction Score
Who are the Yankees?
I read about them. They had some good teams from the 1920s into the 50s and then a few good years in the 90s. I do remember them winning a World Series around the time the Lady Vols last won an NCAA title. The Red Sox win World Series more frequently than the Yanks.

Reaction Score
It

It was good you mentioned Chong, Dangerfield and Butler. If I was Saniya or Tierney I would be tired of the "core four" (however true) references. Geno forgetting the team members who have been a part of the current "streak" represents what could be considered a slight or disregard for those upperclassmen on the bench. Chong has improved her consistency and ball handling, creating a few daring drives, taking seriously this her last chance for relevancy.

Reaction Score

Great post! and if that's what happens when you can't sleep, you should sleep less and write more :)

Reaction Score
The one player most easily replaced of the starting five is Saniya. Not to take anything away from her; she's played a key part in a few games. However, would you want to replace one of the other four starters? Crystal is an excellent replacement for Chong but not for any of the other four.

Reaction Score
Good luck getting the media to change it now, because everyone from the beat writers to ESPN to SNY all call them that. As The Big Three stuck, so will Core Four. I personally don't like leaving out Saniya, but what do I know?
Agree. I will call them UConn Five ...

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Core Four is:
Derek Jeter
Jorge Posada
Mariano Rivera
Andy Petitte.

As a born and bred NY-er, someone who loves all of this crazy, intricate, unbridled city to death, I say with all seriousness: F the Yankees. And forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom