The Fantastic Four | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Fantastic Four

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And do not ever compare anything UConn has ever done to anything done by the Yankee's. Ever again.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I think the Fantastic Four analogy is about right. "It's Clobberin' Time!" seems apropos for the AAC schedule.
The Fantastic Four name is already taken.

Reaction Score
Who are the Yankees?

Don't feel bad about your lack of sports knowledge - I'll explain it you:

The Yankees re a professional baseball franchise located in New York that has won the World Series more than twice as many times as the next closest team, the National League Saint Louis Cardinals (11) and three times as many times as the next closest fellow American League team, the Oakland (Kansas City, Philadelphia Athletics) (9).

They frequently play baseball In October, which is why they may not be well known to many baseball fans in New England where the season usually ends in September. They do play against the local New England franchise often, holding a 1,183–996–14 advantage. They've played in October (and even November) so often that they've actually lost more World Series Championships than the local New England franchise has played in total. This creates some resentment amongst fans fo the local New England franchise, as evidenced quite nicely in this thread.

They Yankees do trail the local New England franchise in the fanaticism of their followers, however, as demonstrated by fans of the local New England Franchise when they finally won a World Series after a short (85 years or so) gap:

So, while fans of the local New England franchise are half nuts, down in the New York metropolitan area baseball fans are all nuts.

As to the term "
Core Four", it has been used for several years primarily by the New York sports media and to a lesser degree by the national sports media at large to designate a group of players that came up to the major leagues together in the mid-90s, and were the a key element in winning more World Series Championships during their careers than the local New England franchise has in the last 100 years.

So if no one has the creativity to create a unique and appropriate nick name for the current UConn team that also successfully excludes fifth starter Saniya Chong, then perhaps fans who are also fans of the New York Yankees should be honored - after all, imitation is the most sincere form of flattery, and there's certainly a long and colorful history of "flattering" New York.

And I'll personally continue to refer to the entire team including Saniya simply as UConn, Connecticut, or the Huskies.

P.S. For the record I am a fan of the other New York baseball team, the New York Metropolitans, which means that my baseball season is generally over by the time it gets warm out, and leaves plenty of time for mowing the lawn, cleaning the basement, painting the garage, washing the car, organizing the spice rack...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Proudly wearing my Yankee sweatshirt today. 27!!

When I lived in CT and frequently went to games at Yankee stadium there were no "Red Sox Suck" t-shirts - only Red Sox fans wore the "Yankees Suck" version. It was a one-sided rivalry - Red Sox fans hated the Yankees but Yankee fans just considered the Red Sox another loser wannabe team.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
It

It was good you mentioned Chong, Dangerfield and Butler. If I was Saniya or Tierney I would be tired of the "core four" (however true) references. Geno forgetting the team members who have been a part of the current "streak" represents what could be considered a slight or disregard for those upperclassmen on the bench. Chong has improved her consistency and ball handling, creating a few daring drives, taking seriously this her last chance for relevancy.

At the risk of becoming Johnny Raincloud, count me in as finding both "Core Four" and "Fantastic Four" as exclusionary monikers. The "Seven Blocks of Granite" included the entire Fordham offensive line. The "Four Horsemen" were the entire Notre Dame Backfield. The "Ottawa Silver Seven" included, at that time, all seven Ottawa players on the ice. Michigan's "Fab Five" comprised a freshman class that came in together and were quite often all on the court at the same time. All very nice and inclusionary. I won't even point out the "Dirty Dozen," all tightly bonded convicted felons, as another example. the "Magnificent Seven" didn't have Smiley Burnette or Pat Buttram following along behind. The "47 Ronin" united in Seppuku.

With UCONN five players on the court, one or more players are excluded from being "core" or "fantastic," as well as the five players on the bench. Since Saniya is a starter, her exclusion is usually most notable. Maybe if Saniya, Natalie, and Crystal were not individually made out to be a fifth wheel, they would shoot more and worry less about feeding "the Four."

Reaction Score
The one player most easily replaced of the starting five is Saniya. Not to take anything away from her; she's played a key part in a few games. However, would you want to replace one of the other four starters? Crystal is an excellent replacement for Chong but not for any of the other four.

Despite Crystal Dangerfield's tremendous upside, she is 'presently' NOT an excellent "REPLACEMENT" for Saniya Chong (rather an excellent compliment to the "STARTING FIVE" (as is Natalie Butler)

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
That's okay. Try the New York Football Giants! Everybody in New England loves them!

:)
Love reading "New York Football Giants," a term perhaps strange, even archaic, to anyone under 70. Thank you.
upload_2017-1-6_18-0-45.png
upload_2017-1-6_18-2-54.png

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
I hope Sonya's game and contribution keeps developing, so by the end of the year the "Core 4" has evolved into the "Fantastic 5" - and the 2106-17 team will then forever be known as such. :D:D:D
If they continue, they will be the "Untenable ten." (that no on can hold onto or defend)
Wait - how about the "Deadly Denary!" The "Dynamic Decuple?" The "Fantastic Five and Five...." With all the invaluable practice and bench support from Camara and Stevens, the Dazzling Dozen." Let's add in the four coaches and they can simply be our "Hexadenary Heroes."

Reaction Score
KLS’s emerging and almost unstoppable offensive game is fun to watch. She can shoot the three, shoot the pull-up 15 footer and drive to the basket. She has a variety of moves and is starting to use her left hand. She is running the floor which results in some easy baskets. If she learns to survive the bumping, banging and grinding she will inevitably face she will likely be an All-American and a serious NPOY candidate this year. So far, she has shown grit and toughness (mental and physical). As she gets physically stronger her game will only get better … and she may become an unstoppable force on offense. Her defense has made large strides this year already. She is starting to challenge shots (even blocking some). She is starting to crash the boards with authority and effect. She shows something new almost every game. She is an elite talent and is getting elitier (yeah, there should be such a word). My fear for her is injury, but if she stays healthy….

Collier’s all around game continues to surprise. She will score on a variety of inside moves, rebound-put-backs and a deadly short to mid-range jumper (not to mention a three pointer here and there). She has an uncanny knack for getting rebounds and gets them at key times. She also keeps the ball alive off the glass for the team to capitalize on. As she continues to improve and refine her offensive game and cements her offensive confidence she will get better and better. When she doesn’t hesitate on her shot she is smooth and accurate. Her defense will continue to improve. I believe that will come to be a plus component of her game over time. She has the strength and lateral movement and the instincts to become a very, very good defender. That will come in time. Not hard to see “All-American” in her future … and maybe even this year. She is heading towards being a great all around talent and every game she is getting closerer and closerer (yeah, there should be such a word) to that level.

Gabby Williams is a Rock. At 5’11” she plays center against players 4, 5, and even 6 inches taller. She holds her own with incredible physical ability, great instincts and a refusal to give in. She never complains about her situation. She accepts the banging of women much bigger than she is. She rebounds with the best of them. Her toughness is unmatched. She runs the “high” part of their offense. She is a good passer but still makes ill-advised passes and creates turnovers here and there. But you have to be willing to accept that to some extent. As she figures out what she can and can’t do from the top of the key her turnovers will decrease. Gabby runs the floor and seems to have virtually limitless energy. Her offensive game is evolving. She is great around the basket. She is amazingly quick off her feet. As she gets more confidence and consistency in her 15-foot and extended jump shot she will be unstoppable. She is never too high or too low. She is also emerging as the team leader. She seems wise beyond her years. Doesn’t blame others and sees herself and the team with clear eyes. She is the unbreakable, calming spirit of the team.

Nurse shows grit and determination. She brings the defensive toughness that we are used to seeing on UConn teams. She takes pride in her defense. She will bump and grind with the best of them. She can wear you out defensively. Her open three point shot has found its groove and is a dagger. The other parts of her offensive game are still under construction. She drives to the basket on little savvy and shear force. Sometimes that works and sometimes … more savvy would have been better. But as a third option on offense she is a very, very, very nice piece. She also is emerging as a team leader. She doesn’t need to carry that mantle alone. She is part of the glue of this team and is getting gluier and gluier (yeah, there should be such a word).

These four with great assists from Chong, Dangerfield and Butler are perhaps the most surprising UConn team (along with the rest of the bench). Not in the fact that they are winning a lot but that they are refusing to lose at all.
(Sorry for the length, I couldn't sleep last night).

From last November after the Dayton game. Couldn't agree with me more.
What Core Four?
I'm not a big fan of that term; like it diminishes the others' contributions IMO.

Reaction Score
From last November after the Dayton game. Couldn't agree with me more.
Core four ---diminishes the 5 player--who was instrumental in winning the MD game and provided a Turnover to Assist ratio others cannot achieve. That 5th player is not a robot, without feelings, but a kid on the team we all are cheering for.
If she isn't cornpone or mush--and as much a teammate as the other four--and one who tells the new kid, who want to take her job, all there is to know to play point guard on the UC div 1 team---every team in America needs a kid like this who works for the team--not herself.
THE CORE FIVE---OR NOTHING--IT'S AN INSULT TO THE TEAMS 5 TH STARTER AND MANY OF US UCONN FANS.
THANKS SONNY---she needs all the support we can give.

Reaction Score
If they continue, they will be the "Untenable ten." (that no on can hold onto or defend)
Wait - how about the "Deadly Denary!" The "Dynamic Decuple?" The "Fantastic Five and Five...." With all the invaluable practice and bench support from Camara and Stevens, the Dazzling Dozen." Let's add in the four coaches and they can simply be our "Hexadenary Heroes."
if anything it should not be the Core 4---that is a huge insult to the 5th starter---Fantastic five and five has a flow to it.

Reaction Score
At the risk of becoming Johnny Raincloud, count me in as finding both "Core Four" and "Fantastic Four" as exclusionary monikers. The "Seven Blocks of Granite" included the entire Fordham offensive line. The "Four Horsemen" were the entire Notre Dame Backfield. The "Ottawa Silver Seven" included, at that time, all seven Ottawa players on the ice. Michigan's "Fab Five" comprised a freshman class that came in together and were quite often all on the court at the same time. All very nice and inclusionary. I won't even point out the "Dirty Dozen," all tightly bonded convicted felons, as another example. the "Magnificent Seven" didn't have Smiley Burnette or Pat Buttram following along behind. The "47 Ronin" united in Seppuku.

With UCONN five players on the court, one or more players are excluded from being "core" or "fantastic," as well as the five players on the bench. Since Saniya is a starter, her exclusion is usually most notable. Maybe if Saniya, Natalie, and Crystal were not individually made out to be a fifth wheel, they would shoot more and worry less about feeding "the Four."

I agree. At the beginning of the year it was the "The Big Three" that was (or "were", whatever) being heralded to the exclusion of Kia, which I thought was unfair. Her obvious (to me at least) contributions as a player were disregarded due to her early offensive struggles. The motto shouted at the break of every team huddle is "Together!". The idea of a Core Four seems to undermine the concept of UCONN's success as a team effort. Saniya is a Senior and she has fought an uphill battle since she came to UCONN. There is something that doesn't feel right about her symbolic exclusion from this group given that she is a starter. Sort of "still on the outside looking in". I give her a lot of credit for still hanging in there. She should graduate with one of the best records of any player that has ever put on a UCONN uniform, man or woman.

Reaction Score
I'm too dense for this? Not a Dodger fan. Not a Southern Boy. Nova Scotia kid.
Port Royal?? Some in fur south are not partial to Yankees. I'm a damn Yankee--I came and stayed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, this whole name thing is creating some serious problems. Everyone has been using "Core Four." Even Geno started using the term. But the last thing we need is a bunch of frustrated Yankee fans lamenting the fact that they haven't won a World Championship since their Core 4 all retired.

The Fantastic 4 is a great moniker, but as soon as we all start putting it on t-shirts, hats & posters we will be inundated with copywrite lawsuits.

We need something new. How about the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?" Nobody has ever used that, right? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
OK, this whole name thing is creating some serious problems. Everyone has been using "Core Four." Even Geno started using the term. But the last thing we need is a bunch of frustrated Yankee fans lamenting the fact that they haven't won a World Championship since their Core 4 all retired.

The Fantastic 4 is a great moniker, but as soon as we all start putting it on t-shirts, hats & posters we will be inundated with copywrite lawsuits.

We need something new. How about the "Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse?" Nobody has ever used that, right? :rolleyes:
How about "Las Cuatro Chingaderas"? (Loosely... "badasses")

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom