Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong! | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Louisville's charter from the very first has been to provide a college education to its city inhabitants first. I doubt you'll find anyone to apologize for that - it's simply a different world.

So, based on Louisville's mission statement you agree it's a community college, then? Because that is precisely the mission statement of practically every community college in the nation. The only difference is that most other community colleges don't hide behind the veil of fielding major college sports to try to change the perception of their institution. They know what they are and are unapologetic about it. Louisville, fans however, would want us to believe that they are a fine university just because they put a women's volleyball player on the Big East All-Academic team. Whoop-de-ducking-doo.

Please don't insult our collective intelligence by postulating that because of all-conference-academic-award praise heaped onto your remedial students that your dignified university is somehow in the academic company of a notoriously prestigious university like Notre Dame.

An actual cardinal bird itself would make the dean's list at Louisville Community College.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Louisville's charter from the very first has been to provide a college education to its city inhabitants first. I doubt you'll find anyone to apologize for that - it's simply a different world. The "state school" in Kentucky is your good buddies at UK so I know you were sincere when you regard state flagship schools as 'special' - just as they do.

Louisville's academic arc has been fairly impressive, the truth is. It was a conscious decision which very much takes place at the athletic level. Generally, Louisville competed with Notre Dame and not UConn in the academic awards in the old Big East. Using academic smack seems odd in light of your inability to participate in the NCAA tourney last season. Frankly, I admired the way Kevin coached your team in that light. Reading here.....not so much.
Who really cares what you think of our board! And the fact you are even saying your school is an academic equal with ND is comical! You made a GREAT hire for your AD when you hired Jurich away from Colorado St...he has done what our former AD failed to do..invest in athletics. But there is absolutely NO way you can tell me Louisville is on par academically as a school to UCONN! Oh yeah...your hoops team was down to nothing when Jurich hired Pitino...let's see where it goes when he leaves, because UK sure had a tough time replacing him!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Senore said:
Like some other programs - Duke comes to mind - Louisville's emerging relevance in all sports is an attribute of a smaller fan base but one which is uniquely local and fiercely loyal. As the largest city in America without a competing pro sports franchise - and with a massive corporate base - donations to the program are more than many absolutely top tier programs. They pay a premium for seats in football and the waiting list for seats at the 22,000 capacity Yum Center is a long one. Competing with the 'special' state school for funding for facilities has seen them lose that race so often to UK that they have gone and tapped fans to fund and build hundreds of millions of dollars worth of world class facilities. The new 10,000 seat soccer stadium will be completed in time for the ACC entrance as well as a new Academic Center under the football stadium. It was built by virtue of a $5 million gift from an alumni.

Which I believe is the underlying point beneath all the friendly ribbing. IF these conferences' real intent is to be an all encompassing group of like minded institutions of higher learning and not simply a collection of FB programs with satellite sports along for the ride, then UL has no place in the ACC or B1G.

What we are saying in this space, beneath the friendly ribbing, as a fanbase very aware of the hypocrisy surrounding CR, is either the entire concept is a farce or specifically the ACC had no interest in academics when it picked SU and UL over UConn.

Reaction Score
Like some other programs - Duke comes to mind - Louisville's emerging relevance in all sports is an attribute of a smaller fan base but one which is uniquely local and fiercely loyal. As the largest city in America without a competing pro sports franchise - and with a massive corporate base - donations to the program are more than many absolutely top tier programs. They pay a premium for seats in football and the waiting list for seats at the 22,000 capacity Yum Center is a long one. Competing with the 'special' state school for funding for facilities has seen them lose that race so often to UK that they have gone and tapped fans to fund and build hundreds of millions of dollars worth of world class facilities. The new 10,000 seat soccer stadium will be completed in time for the ACC entrance as well as a new Academic Center under the football stadium. It was built by virtue of a $5 million gift from an alumni.

As a FYI, largest US metro areas without at least 1 pro sports franchise, not including minor leagues: 1) #13 Austin, 2) #19 El Paso, 3) #27 Louisville, 4) #31 Las Vegas, 5) #32 Albuquerque, etc.

I did not include #16 Ft. Worth as most consider Ft. Worth as part of Dallas.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
The entrance exam to Louisville Community College:

image.jpg

Reaction Score

This whole post is a farce. Academically, Louisville is light years behind us.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
The entrance exam to Louisville Community College:

View attachment 4661

True story -

I had a guy who did some work for me who was from Louisville (here in San Diego). One time, I met his wife and asked her how she met John. She told me it was in Louisville and that he stood out because he had all his teeth and she thought that was very attractive.

She was serious.

Reaction Score

FYI part II - I have made my thoughts on the financial façade that the Yum Center provides Louisville numerous times; but, Louisville does not have 10K soccer stadium and building such a venue sounded like more creative U Louisville accounting as 10K is way too big for NCAA soccer (2013, largest average attendance was just north of 5K by Cal Poly) and on the small side to attract a MLS team (at least 10K). Louisville's current soccer stadium holds 2,500 and the new proposed stadium will hold 5,300. A nice stadium; but, not 10K. UConn has begun funding efforts to build a new soccer stadium, too (current stadium hold 5,100).

http://cardinalathleticfund.com/capital-projects-soccer-stadium.html

MattMang23

Reaction Score
True story -

I had a guy who did some work for me who was from Louisville (here in San Diego). One time, I met his wife and asked her how she met John. She told me it was in Louisville and that he stood out because he had all his teeth and she thought that was very attractive.

She was serious.

Sounds like our Mountaineer friends, too. Too bad UL didn't go to the Big 12. UL and WVU deserve each other.

Reaction Score
http://cardinalathleticfund.com/capital-projects-soccer-stadium.html[/quote]
FYI part II - I have made my thoughts on the financial façade that the Yum Center provides Louisville numerous times; but, Louisville does not have 10K soccer stadium and building such a venue sounded like more creative U Louisville accounting as 10K is way too big for NCAA soccer (2013, largest average attendance was just north of 5K by Cal Poly) and on the small side to attract a MLS team (at least 10K). Louisville's current soccer stadium holds 2,500 and the new proposed stadium will hold 5,300. A nice stadium; but, not 10K. UConn has begun funding efforts to build a new soccer stadium, too (current stadium hold 5,100).

http://cardinalathleticfund.com/capital-projects-soccer-stadium.html

Let's be clear here. You just posted a picture of the soccer stadium under construction then you claim there is no soccer stadium under construction? The arrangement is expandable to 10,000 for tournament play, a number Louisville drew more than once at their old facility during various tournament appearances.

I find almost all responses here subject to your emotional disappointment at Louisville's entry to the ACC. I had underestimated your angst. Have a great year.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Louisville Community College or Louisville Junior College? I just want to make sure we're all on the same page going forward. This ain't yer pappy's or granpappy's Lewville y'know? Notre Dame South!

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Sounds like our Mountaineer friends, too. Too bad UL didn't go to the Big 12. UL and WVU deserve each other.

Never thought about it in those terms (and really, why would I?), but the WVU/UL are very much the country and city sides of the same coin.

Reaction Score

Let's be clear here. You just posted a picture of the soccer stadium under construction then you claim there is no soccer stadium under construction? The arrangement is expandable to 10,000 for tournament play, a number Louisville drew more than once at their old facility during various tournament appearances.

I find almost all responses here subject to your emotional disappointment at Louisville's entry to the ACC. I had underestimated your angst. Have a great year.[/quote]

Emotional response? You stated that Louisville was building a 10K college soccer stadium. I looked at both Louisville's website and the local paper and learned that Louisville currently has a 2,500 seat stadium and are replacing it with a 5,000 seat stadium. Neither Louisville's website nor the news stories I read in the local paper indicate a 10K stadium. Those are facts. I think noted 3 separate observations. First, a 10K college soccer stadium is likely not a smart investment as average college attendance for the best attended teams is between 5,000 and 6,000. Second, MLS stadium are usually bigger than 10K, so it is unlikely that Louisville is looking to attract a MLS team with this stadium. Third, I am hopeful that UConn can raise funds and build a new stadium for its teams on campus in the 5K to 6K range.
I love soccer and am glad to see other programs growing. I simply checked the facts on your statements, which were incorrect. That's not angst.

Reaction Score
Keep the hate coming you fat, pasty, 2nd place babies. Your pathetic tears make us stronger. Enjoy your everlasting time in purgatory.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Keep the hate coming you fat, pasty, 2nd place babies. Your pathetic tears make us stronger. Enjoy your everlasting time in purgatory.

The scum eventually rises to the top of the pond. It took a little longer in this case, but it has arrived. You've had your juvenile say, now back to the basement with you.

Reaction Score
The scum eventually rises to the top of the pond. It took a little longer in this case, but it has arrived. You've had your juvenile say, now back to the basement with you.

Umm, a quick read of the thread would indicate to even the most simple, that the juvenile comments / put downs started on page 1 of this thread. What's the old saying? "if you can't take it, then go duckk yourself".

Reaction Score
Umm, a quick read of the thread would indicate to even the most simple, that the juvenile comments / put downs started on page 1 of this thread. What's the old saying? "if you can't take it, then go duckk yourself".

Enjoy your last couple of posts here.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
Run along laddy, I think I hear your mama callin'

Reaction Score
I would, but this rerun of "The trail of tears" is far too fascinating to turn off just now.

You find a very dark part of US history that saw the forced ethnic cleansing of American Indians from the Deep South that violated several existing US laws and treaties resulting in the death of thousands 'fascinating?' You, sir, have issue far greater than Conference realignment, which pales in comparison to what happened in the 1830's.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You find a very dark part of US history that saw the forced ethnic cleansing of American Indians from the Deep South that violated several existing US laws and treaties resulting in the death of thousands 'fascinating?' You, sir, have issue far greater than Conference realignment, which pails in comparison to what happened in the 1830's.

People down in his neck of the woods still don't know what the big deal was.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
People down in his neck of the woods still don't know what the big deal was.

It's not that they don't know what the big deal is, it's that students at Louisville Community College have never heard of the event at all. It's not color by numbers, so it's not in the curriculum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom