Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
xcsc.gif

Reaction Score
That was hilarious...
Here is the latest list...again pipe dream with Rich Rod on it..no Lembo, no Smart..these guys are dilusional...
SB Nation CFB (@SBNationCFB)
1/5/14 8:57 AM
Louisville's Charlie Strong replacement? @CardChronicle picks five possible insta-hires, plus other names:

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2014/1...coaching-search-the-top-candidates-to-replace
Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPad

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
That was hilarious...
Here is the latest list...again pipe dream with Rich Rod on it..no Lembo, no Smart..these guys are dilusional...
SB Nation CFB (@SBNationCFB)
1/5/14 8:57 AM
Louisville's Charlie Strong replacement? @CardChronicle picks five possible insta-hires, plus other names:

http://www.cardchronicle.com/2014/1...coaching-search-the-top-candidates-to-replace
Download the official Twitter app here

Sent from my iPad

Franklin? Why? Was Saban not available? I'm keeping my fingers that Petrino gets re-hired and then he has an affair with Rick Pitino's mistress.

Reaction Score
Bobby Petrino is currently the fan front runner to replace Charlie. Word is he is also high on Jurich's list as well.

Fact is, it makes tremendous sense. Both Texas and Louisville would gain from the change.

Reaction Score
Cry me a river with this tweet:

• Tom Jurich spin factory in FULL effect!!!! Jurich "conveniently" got stuck in Steamboat Springs CO where he was on vacation.

At least Warde was in the Caribbean for 'work,' Jurich was actually on vacation.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If the spin is coming from Jurich... interesting that footballscoop is amplifying it -

@footballscoop 11h
Charlie interviewed days ago (widely reported), was offered yesterday (widely reported), had all day today to communicate w players...?

@footballscoop 11h
Perhaps should have acknowledged the offer, said he was considering it and said he'd let them all know once he made a decision.

@footballscoop 11h
Think they would have understood, appreciated and respected his position and decision better.

@footballscoop 11h
Yes folks, Louisville, like nearly every other FBS programs has mass / team texting capabilities + conf calling, video delivery, etc...

@louismchugh 12h
@footballscoop just playing devil advocate how many coaches in your opinion would really call every player? Does the ceo call when he leaves

@footballscoop
@louismchugh with 24 hours of public knowledge I think most HCs and CEOs do and would communicate

@footballscoop 11h
Guys, to be clear, I think Charlie is a good coach & one who players love to play for. Historic hire & moment. Be happy for him. I am.

@footballscoop 42s
Spoke w some folks at Louisville yesterday…I don’t know Tom Jurich and wanted to hear from those that do. What I heard sounded very much...

@footballscoop 34s
…much like Bill Moos at Wazzu. He has the authority to make this decision on his own and the belief from all is that he will be decisive.

Reaction Score
"state Flagship institutions"?

Great...What does that have to do with much?

I'd take FSU over Rutgers, Clemson over Rutgers, Miami over Rutgers...Notre Dame over Indiana, etc.

I'd rather have the better program then a meaningless title.
"state flagship" is the euphemism for lots of "resources". I'd consider FSU an almost flagship status. Certainly much higher than CCSU is to UConn.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind Strong is top 10 in coaches salary in college.
He made 3.74 million a year.
Jurich probable had to pony up to keep him to be more attractive to ACC. If they are willing to continue to pay that much they will get a big time coach IMO.

Reaction Score
the quotes going on twitter from Jurich's presser about this are classic. Jurich is in PURE spin mode. He contacted ESPN saying UT never asked for permission to interview CS, then had to back track when UT AD said he indeed did call, left Jurich a message to call him back..which he never did; Jurich then did say he and UT AD played phone tag trading vm's; then he leaves for a vacation knowing this is going on and can't get back...NOW he says CS was totally up front with him the entire time. Which is it Jurich...he is the ultimate snake oil salesman...sold the ACC a bill of goods. He is 1-2 in football coaching hires...even 2-3 as I will give him Petrino even though he really wanted Kragthorpe back then too.

Dooley

Reaction Score
"state Flagship institutions"?

Great...What does that have to do with much?

I'd take FSU over Rutgers, Clemson over Rutgers, Miami over Rutgers...Notre Dame over Indiana, etc.

I'd rather have the better program then a meaningless title.

Two can play this game. Would you rather have Michigan or Boston College? Ohio State or Wake Forrest? Nebraska or Syracuse? Texas or Pitt?

Dooley

Reaction Score
the quotes going on twitter from Jurich's presser about this are classic. Jurich is in PURE spin mode. He contacted ESPN saying UT never asked for permission to interview CS, then had to back track when UT AD said he indeed did call, left Jurich a message to call him back..which he never did; Jurich then did say he and UT AD played phone tag trading vm's; then he leaves for a vacation knowing this is going on and can't get back...NOW he says CS was totally up front with him the entire time. Which is it Jurich...he is the ultimate snake oil salesman...sold the ACC a bill of goods. He is 1-2 in football coaching hires...even 2-3 as I will give him Petrino even though he really wanted Kragthorpe back then too.
I've got to think that there is TREMENDOUS pressure on Jurich to replace Strong with a home run hire. Like you said (and I agree 100% with), he sold the ACC that they will always be competitive in football with the likes of FSU and Clemson and that his athletic programs aren't cyclical. The problem is that it's fairly late in the coaching carousel and signing day is not too far away. Considering that the majority (maybe all) of UL's recruits committed to Strong and not Louisville Community College, they are probably going to be poached big time unless Jurich can bring in somebody of Strong's ilk. Let's go through the rumored candidates:

James Franklin - this one has got to be a joke. Franklin makes $4M/yr at a SEC school whose academics are excellent. His coaching philosophies thrive on recruiting smart players (similar to Stanford and Northwestern) who are under recruited. With a 96% admission rate and 160-something ranking, it's going to be a VERY tough sell to those types of players to even consider going to LCC. This one is not happening at all.

Pat Narduzzi - it's possible but he just went through a highly publicized coaching interview and was handsomely rewarded for his loyalty to MSU with a hefty raise. That's not to say if Jurich came in at $3M/yr he wouldn't leave, but Narduzzi just cited loyalty to Michigan State and love for that program as a big reason why he withdrew his name from UCONN's list if Diaco turned them down. Money talks though and if Jurich can convince him to leave D'Antonio with a HUGE pay raise, he might bolt. I'd say the odds are about 40/60 not happening.

Chad Morris - I can see this one happening. I personally think Jurich will go offensive with his hire to attempt to stay on par with FSU and Clemson's high flying offenses. What better way to compete with them than hiring one of them? Morris makes $1.2M/yr roughly so he'd likely be looking at a $3M/yr offer to leave. That stock is back up again after walking all over OSU's D (no matter how bad it was). Plus, he has recruiting connections in Louisville's recruiting areas. I'd say 70/30 possible.

Bobby Petrino - Personally, I would LOVE for Louisville to go back to Petrino, throw tons of money at him only to leave for a better job (again) or get in trouble (again). They have one coordinator on a show cause but they're already as high as they can go conference wise so battling the NCAA wouldn't be a concern for them. I'd say this one is 50/50 possible.

Jim Tressel - the show cause is a killer. Louisville gave the ACC a guarantee that they are a football power and that means they have to be in high profile bowl games just about every season. To play in these high profile bowl games without their head coach for the first few seasons would be quite a distraction. Also, he would have to miss the team's first 5 games next season. I haven't seen the ACC schedule for 2014, but that means he will miss some conference games. I thought Tressel made SOME sense for UCONN because of their AAC purgatory sentence but he makes no sense for a P5 conference school. 5/95 not possible.

Tom Herman - like Morris, this one is possible. Offensive guy whose offenses have been prolific everywhere he's gone. Like I said under Morris, I personally think Jurich will go offense with this hire and if he can't get Morris, I can see him going heavy after Herman. 65/35 possible (if Morris is available).

RichRod - I guess you never know with him but I don't think this is happening. He has a good thing at Arizona right now and I *think* he's learned his lesson bolting from a good thing. Jurich would have to come in WAY over the top with a pay raise and I don't think RichRod is worth $4-$5M/yr money. 10/90 not happening.

Derek Mason - for the same reasons as Franklin, it's hard to see Mason leaving Stanford for Louisville Community College. It's a bit more possible than Franklin though since a $3M/yr offer would be a substantial raise for Mason and pay cut for Franklin. He'd have to overcome being a west coast guy moving east and might not have the recruiting connections Strong had in Florida to immediately boost their recruiting. I can't see many west coast kids with (or even without) good grades coming east to LCC. 20/80 not happening.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I've got to think that there is TREMENDOUS pressure on Jurich to replace Strong with a home run hire. Like you said (and I agree 100% with), he sold the ACC that they will always be competitive in football with the likes of FSU and Clemson and that his athletic programs aren't cyclical. The problem is that it's fairly late in the coaching carousel and signing day is not too far away. Considering that the majority (maybe all) of UL's recruits committed to Strong and not Louisville Community College, they are probably going to be poached big time unless Jurich can bring in somebody of Strong's ilk. Let's go through the rumored candidates:

James Franklin - this one has got to be a joke. Franklin makes $4M/yr at a SEC school whose academics are excellent. His coaching philosophies thrive on recruiting smart players (similar to Stanford and Northwestern) who are under recruited. With a 96% admission rate and 160-something ranking, it's going to be a VERY tough sell to those types of players to even consider going to LCC. This one is not happening at all.

Pat Narduzzi - it's possible but he just went through a highly publicized coaching interview and was handsomely rewarded for his loyalty to MSU with a hefty raise. That's not to say if Jurich came in at $3M/yr he wouldn't leave, but Narduzzi just cited loyalty to Michigan State and love for that program as a big reason why he withdrew his name from UCONN's list if Diaco turned them down. Money talks though and if Jurich can convince him to leave D'Antonio with a HUGE pay raise, he might bolt. I'd say the odds are about 40/60 not happening.

Chad Morris - I can see this one happening. I personally think Jurich will go offensive with his hire to attempt to stay on par with FSU and Clemson's high flying offenses. What better way to compete with them than hiring one of them? Morris makes $1.2M/yr roughly so he'd likely be looking at a $3M/yr offer to leave. That stock is back up again after walking all over OSU's D (no matter how bad it was). Plus, he has recruiting connections in Louisville's recruiting areas. I'd say 70/30 possible.

Bobby Petrino - Personally, I would LOVE for Louisville to go back to Petrino, throw tons of money at him only to leave for a better job (again) or get in trouble (again). They have one coordinator on a show cause but they're already as high as they can go conference wise so battling the NCAA wouldn't be a concern for them. I'd say this one is 50/50 possible.

Jim Tressel - the show cause is a killer. Louisville gave the ACC a guarantee that they are a football power and that means they have to be in high profile bowl games just about every season. To play in these high profile bowl games without their head coach for the first few seasons would be quite a distraction. Also, he would have to miss the team's first 5 games next season. I haven't seen the ACC schedule for 2014, but that means he will miss some conference games. I thought Tressel made SOME sense for UCONN because of their AAC purgatory sentence but he makes no sense for a P5 conference school. 5/95 not possible.

Tom Herman - like Morris, this one is possible. Offensive guy whose offenses have been prolific everywhere he's gone. Like I said under Morris, I personally think Jurich will go offense with this hire and if he can't get Morris, I can see him going heavy after Herman. 65/35 possible (if Morris is available).

RichRod - I guess you never know with him but I don't think this is happening. He has a good thing at Arizona right now and I *think* he's learned his lesson bolting from a good thing. Jurich would have to come in WAY over the top with a pay raise and I don't think RichRod is worth $4-$5M/yr money. 10/90 not happening.

Derek Mason - for the same reasons as Franklin, it's hard to see Mason leaving Stanford for Louisville Community College. It's a bit more possible than Franklin though since a $3M/yr offer would be a substantial raise for Mason and pay cut for Franklin. He'd have to overcome being a west coast guy moving east and might not have the recruiting connections Strong had in Florida to immediately boost their recruiting. I can't see many west coast kids with (or even without) good grades coming east to LCC. 20/80 not happening.
Just curious, why do you think UL's academic standing would matter for a guy like Franklin or Mason? If anything, all the reasons on why it's tougher to recruit at Vandy would make one think he'd be an even better coach at a school with more lax admittance standards. No? The real reason Franklin wouldn't go is the first thing you stated in that he makes $4+ million at an SEC school and could easily land a better job than UL for his next step in coaching. Not saying UL is a bad gig, but it's not a big time program like an Alabama, Texas, etc...It'll be interesting to see who Louisville will hire and what they're going to pay. They can clearly afford to pay a lot more than UConn because of their new conference payout but we'll see who they attract.

Reaction Score
Jurich may have sold the acc a bill of goods, but it is not like he/they are in any danger of being booted from the acc if he doesnt deliver on that bill of goods. Jurich is under no pressure. Jurich is a winner. Took loisville from conference usa to the acc with an in between stop in the big east. He and luck are the type of guys i wish we had instead of hathaway. Nice guys do finish last in conference realignment.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Just curious, why do you think UL's academic standing would matter for a guy like Franklin or Mason? If anything, all the reasons on why it's tougher to recruit at Vandy would make one think he'd be an even better coach at a school with more lax admittance standards. No? The real reason Franklin wouldn't go is the first thing you stated in that he makes $4+ million at an SEC school and could easily land a better job than UL for his next step in coaching. Not saying UL is a bad gig, but it's not a big time program like an Alabama, Texas, etc...It'll be interesting to see who Louisville will hire and what they're going to pay. They can clearly afford to pay a lot more than UConn because of their new conference payout but we'll see who they attract.

Good point. In my opinion (take it for what it's worth), it's not just recruiting. It's the system that they run. There is a need for smarter players to pick it up because of their complexities. Franklin is 100% not happening. He'd have to be paid more than Saban to leave Vandy and that's not happening. But for Mason, Stanford runs very complex schemes on defense (lots of pre and post snap reads) that requires a lot of discipline. I don't think there's a fit there. Like you said, the admissions would be VERY laxed (it's Louisville Community College after all) but if I was a kid with decent grades, I'm not going to LCC because my degree would be worthless. If I'm a kid with low grades, I'm not going to LCC to play in a complex system. But that's just my opinion. We shall see who Jurich can lure.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Probably the best hire Texas could make. One of the better decisions Texas A&M made in recent coaching hires was to hire a cool Black coach in Texas. Kevin Sumlin has been a tremendous boon in recruiting for A&M, aside from striking gold in Johnny Manziel in the 2011 cycle. No one wants to drag race into the equation, but hiring a Black HC was a sage move for Texas. From a recruiting standpoint, Strong's SEC ties may help as it is. Additionally, Strong was one of the few people who was qualified and would take the job in a heartbeat. Texas has tons of money, but you can't expect someone like Saban to trade their Ferrari for a Lamborghini. Strong was obviously going to trade his Cadillac CTS for one. Seemed like his last great chance to have a crack at the HC job at a program like Texas.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Forde (Louisville guy) thinks Strong's personality, specifically him keeping the media and bigshot donors at arm's length, may not be a good fit with Texas / LHN. He might be able to adapt his style, but my guess is even if he doesn't that doesn't necessarily mean he can't be successful there. We hear Diaco was initially not very good dealing with the media but he (apparently) worked on it to the point it was a big strength for him getting his first HC job here. The UT politics, as depicted by Chip, could be a minefield for any coach... whoever wanted Strong won out there.

Back at UL, while I enjoy myself some nice schadenfreude as anybody else, with them being able to pay 3 mil I don't think they'll have problems competing in the ACC. They may not be competing for ACCCG right away but they'll probably do better than Pitt, Cuse, BC. It will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace Pitino.

Reaction Score
Forde (Louisville guy) thinks Strong's personality, specifically him keeping the media and bigshot donors at arm's length, may not be a good fit with Texas / LHN. He might be able to adapt his style, but my guess is even if he doesn't that doesn't necessarily mean he can't be successful there. We hear Diaco was initially not very good dealing with the media but he (apparently) worked on it to the point it was a big strength for him getting his first HC job here. The UT politics, as depicted by Chip, could be a minefield for any coach... whoever wanted Strong won out there.

Back at UL, while I enjoy myself some nice schadenfreude as anybody else, with them being able to pay 3 mil I don't think they'll have problems competing in the ACC. They may not be competing for ACCCG right away but they'll probably do better than Pitt, Cuse, BC. It will be interesting to see who they bring in to replace Pitino.
More interesting is who they bring in to eventually replace Jurich. Jurich reminds me of Perkins a bit...imagine if we had brought Jurich in to replace Big Lew instead of that idiot Hathaway...one can surely dream.

Dooley

Reaction Score
More interesting is who they bring in to eventually replace Jurich. Jurich reminds me of Perkins a bit...imagine if we had brought Jurich in to replace Big Lew instead of that idiot Hathaway...one can surely dream.

Jeff Hathaway was the single worst thing to happen to UCONN and it's current conference situation. That man was in way over his head. He didn't have UCONN stuck in neutral…he had UCONN going in reverse.

Reaction Score
VERY interesting read on what could be the Miami process to replace Golden if he goes to PSU.

http://miami.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1593992

Funny how Miami would have trouble paying a guy like Franklin..looks like their budget is $2 mill/yr, maybe $2.5 mill/yr...BUT UL can pay what Strong was making ($3.5 million/yr)..maybe even higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom