Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Texas hires Louisville's HC Charlie Strong!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Probably the best hire Texas could make. One of the better decisions Texas A&M made in recent coaching hires was to hire a cool Black coach in Texas. Kevin Sumlin has been a tremendous boon in recruiting for A&M, aside from striking gold in Johnny Manziel in the 2011 cycle. No one wants to drag race into the equation, but hiring a Black HC was a sage move for Texas. From a recruiting standpoint, Strong's SEC ties may help as it is. Additionally, Strong was one of the few people who was qualified and would take the job in a heartbeat. Texas has tons of money, but you can't expect someone like Saban to trade their Ferrari for a Lamborghini. Strong was obviously going to trade his Cadillac CTS for one. Seemed like his last great chance to have a crack at the HC job at a program like Texas.
I think there is some validity to this. At least from the standpoint that Sumlin's success recruting elite Texas HS players made UT officials take notice. I don't think Strong is a great coach, but you can't deny his success. Kevin Franklin on other hand I think is one of the best in the game.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Louisville:
Sources tell us that Tom Jurich's short list begins with Rich Rodriguez and he is working on it today. Will update once more information is available. Jurich will make this decision and it won't drag on for days and days.

Reaction Score
http://www.footballscoop.com/the-scoop

Louisville:
Sources tell us that Tom Jurich's short list begins with Rich Rodriguez and he is working on it today. Will update once more information is available. Jurich will make this decision and it won't drag on for days and days.
The one thing I like about Jurich is he will take a shot at a guy like Rich Rod. I will be shocked though if Rich Rod leaves Ariz. He has a top 5 incoming class if I'm not mistaken...and is getting the Wildcats in position to have a shot at the PAC-12 Championship game in the next few yrs.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The one thing I like about Jurich is he will take a shot at a guy like Rich Rod. I will be shocked though if Rich Rod leaves Ariz. He has a top 5 incoming class if I'm not mistaken...and is getting the Wildcats in position to have a shot at the PAC-12 Championship game in the next few yrs.

Agree about RichRod. I'd be surprised to see him leave but he does "only" make $1.5M/yr. Jurich could probably give him a substantial raise.

Reaction Score
Agree about RichRod. I'd be surprised to see him leave but he does "only" make $1.5M/yr. Jurich could probably give him a substantial raise.
He just got a raise to $2.25 or $2.5 mill/year...I'm sure UA will up the ante if UL came for him. ONLY reason Strong was making $3.5 mill/yr is because that is what Tenn was gonna pay him last yr and Jurich matched it. Just think..Rich Rod was available when Hathaway hired Pasqualoni...

Dooley

Reaction Score
He just got a raise to $2.25 or $2.5 mill/year...I'm sure UA will up the ante if UL came for him. ONLY reason Strong was making $3.5 mill/yr is because that is what Tenn was gonna pay him last yr and Jurich matched it. Just think..Rich Rod was available when Hathaway hired Pasqualoni...

Oh he did? I didn't know that he got a raise. He deserved it. Hathaway was/is a moron.

Reaction Score

“@UT_Bianco: Welcome to the Longhorns Family Charlie & Vicki Strong and daughters Hope & Hailee #HookEmHorns http://twitter.com/UT_Bianco/status/419933313755643905/photo/1”

BdPnH7NCEAAgZcA.jpg

Reaction Score
Strong graduated 93 of 98 players under him. 19 graduated early this past December, including Bridgewater. The academic arguments against Louisville better get submitted quickly because it's not your Daddy's UofL any more. Jurich is also responsible for that, for the record. His one All American was a guy he moved from Quarterback to DE. Strong is and was the real deal. No UofL fans will argue that whatsoever.

Like I said, I believe Petrino would be a ridiculously successful hire. I just don't know how Jurich feels about him. Louisville has accumulated some serious talent.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Tunxis Community College has a great graduation rate too, I hear.

Just because players graduate doesn't mean the requirements for admission aren't umm... Shall we say (to be kind)... Lenient?

Dooley

Reaction Score
Strong graduated 93 of 98 players under him. 19 graduated early this past December, including Bridgewater. The academic arguments against Louisville better get submitted quickly because it's not your Daddy's UofL any more. Jurich is also responsible for that, for the record. His one All American was a guy he moved from Quarterback to DE. Strong is and was the real deal. No UofL fans will argue that whatsoever.

Like I said, I believe Petrino would be a ridiculously successful hire. I just don't know how Jurich feels about him. Louisville has accumulated some serious talent.

That's great. But at the end of the day, those players got a degree from Louisville Community College. A degree from LCC isn't worth any more than the paper it's printed on. Your argument that Strong graduated his players is a better reflection of Strong and the program that he ran (no argument about that from here), but not of the university's academics. Not only did Strong recruit well, but he coached well and had a good APR (928). Paul Pasqualoni, by contrast, couldn't coach worth a hill of beans but had a better APR (958). The difference? UCONN is ranked 57th with a 44% admission rate; Louisville is ranked 161 (that's out of 173) with a 76% admission rate. LCC still has Jurich though and his ability to sell ice to an eskimo should be able to lure a decent coach if they stay in the Strong $3.7M/yr price range.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

What's the matter? Does Google not work in Kentucky?

University of Louisville
Admissions Data (2012):

Retention and Graduation Rates:
  • First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 78%
  • 4-Year Graduation Rate: 22%
  • 6-Year Graduation Rate: 51%
Enrollment (2011):
  • Total Enrollment: 21,152 (15,596 undergraduates)
  • Gender Breakdown: 49% Male / 51% Female
  • 78% Full-time
Data Source:
National Center for Educational Statistics

Here's UConn's for comparision

Admissions Data (2012):
Enrollment (2011):
  • Total Enrollment: 25,868 (17,815 undergraduates)
  • Gender Breakdown: 51% Male / 49% Female
  • 96% Full-time
Transfer, Graduation and Retention Rates:
  • First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 92%
  • Transfer Out Rate: 12%
  • 4-Year Graduation Rate: 68%
  • 6-Year Graduation Rate: 83%
FWIW, Texas-Austin has numbers comparable to UConn if not a bit higher.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
What's the matter? Does Google not work in Kentucky?

University of Louisville
Admissions Data (2012):

Retention and Graduation Rates:

• [ ]First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 78%
    [ ]4-Year Graduation Rate: 22%
    [ ]6-Year Graduation Rate: 51%
Enrollment (2011):

• [ ]Total Enrollment: 21,152 (15,596 undergraduates)
    [ ]Gender Breakdown: 49% Male / 51% Female
    [ ]78% Full-time
Data Source:
National Center for Educational Statistics

Here's UConn's for comparision

Admissions Data (2012):
Enrollment (2011):

• [ ]Total Enrollment: 25,868 (17,815 undergraduates)
    [ ]Gender Breakdown: 51% Male / 49% Female
    [ ]96% Full-time
Transfer, Graduation and Retention Rates:

• [ ]First Year Student Retention (full-time students): 92%
    [ ]Transfer Out Rate: 12%
    [ ]4-Year Graduation Rate: 68%
    [ ]6-Year Graduation Rate: 83%
FWIW, Texas-Austin has numbers comparable to UConn if not a bit higher.

Did I read that right? 22%?!?! Lolololol

Reaction Score
I've got to think that there is TREMENDOUS pressure on Jurich to replace Strong with a home run hire. Like you said (and I agree 100% with), he sold the ACC that they will always be competitive in football with the likes of FSU and Clemson and that his athletic programs aren't cyclical. The problem is that it's fairly late in the coaching carousel and signing day is not too far away. Considering that the majority (maybe all) of UL's recruits committed to Strong and not Louisville Community College, they are probably going to be poached big time unless Jurich can bring in somebody of Strong's ilk. Let's go through the rumored candidates:

James Franklin - this one has got to be a joke. Franklin makes $4M/yr at a SEC school whose academics are excellent. His coaching philosophies thrive on recruiting smart players (similar to Stanford and Northwestern) who are under recruited. With a 96% admission rate and 160-something ranking, it's going to be a VERY tough sell to those types of players to even consider going to LCC. This one is not happening at all.

Pat Narduzzi - it's possible but he just went through a highly publicized coaching interview and was handsomely rewarded for his loyalty to MSU with a hefty raise. That's not to say if Jurich came in at $3M/yr he wouldn't leave, but Narduzzi just cited loyalty to Michigan State and love for that program as a big reason why he withdrew his name from UCONN's list if Diaco turned them down. Money talks though and if Jurich can convince him to leave D'Antonio with a HUGE pay raise, he might bolt. I'd say the odds are about 40/60 not happening.

Chad Morris - I can see this one happening. I personally think Jurich will go offensive with his hire to attempt to stay on par with FSU and Clemson's high flying offenses. What better way to compete with them than hiring one of them? Morris makes $1.2M/yr roughly so he'd likely be looking at a $3M/yr offer to leave. That stock is back up again after walking all over OSU's D (no matter how bad it was). Plus, he has recruiting connections in Louisville's recruiting areas. I'd say 70/30 possible.

Bobby Petrino - Personally, I would LOVE for Louisville to go back to Petrino, throw tons of money at him only to leave for a better job (again) or get in trouble (again). They have one coordinator on a show cause but they're already as high as they can go conference wise so battling the NCAA wouldn't be a concern for them. I'd say this one is 50/50 possible.

Jim Tressel - the show cause is a killer. Louisville gave the ACC a guarantee that they are a football power and that means they have to be in high profile bowl games just about every season. To play in these high profile bowl games without their head coach for the first few seasons would be quite a distraction. Also, he would have to miss the team's first 5 games next season. I haven't seen the ACC schedule for 2014, but that means he will miss some conference games. I thought Tressel made SOME sense for UCONN because of their AAC purgatory sentence but he makes no sense for a P5 conference school. 5/95 not possible.

Tom Herman - like Morris, this one is possible. Offensive guy whose offenses have been prolific everywhere he's gone. Like I said under Morris, I personally think Jurich will go offense with this hire and if he can't get Morris, I can see him going heavy after Herman. 65/35 possible (if Morris is available).

RichRod - I guess you never know with him but I don't think this is happening. He has a good thing at Arizona right now and I *think* he's learned his lesson bolting from a good thing. Jurich would have to come in WAY over the top with a pay raise and I don't think RichRod is worth $4-$5M/yr money. 10/90 not happening.

Derek Mason - for the same reasons as Franklin, it's hard to see Mason leaving Stanford for Louisville Community College. It's a bit more possible than Franklin though since a $3M/yr offer would be a substantial raise for Mason and pay cut for Franklin. He'd have to overcome being a west coast guy moving east and might not have the recruiting connections Strong had in Florida to immediately boost their recruiting. I can't see many west coast kids with (or even without) good grades coming east to LCC. 20/80 not happening.

Louisville is also competing with Penn State, which is a bigger prize, for any 'top' football coaching candidate. Rumor is that Franklin in particular is in the mix at Happy Valley.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Louisville is also competing with Penn State, which is a bigger prize, for any 'top' football coaching candidate. Rumor is that Franklin in particular is in the mix at Happy Valley.

Which makes the question Pete Roussel asked on coachingsearch.com utterly ridiculous: "which is a better job, Penn St. or Louisville?"

Like, really?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Which makes the question Pete Roussel asked on coachingsearch.com utterly ridiculous: "which is a better job, Penn St. or Louisville?"

Like, really?
Maybe he means ul will pay more? I don't know

Reaction Score

Like, really?

The only two advantages that I believe Louisville may have over Penn St are 1) the NCAA sanctions on Penn St (short-term only and Penn St. is not looking for another short-term coach) and 2) lower academic standards. Stadium, facilities, conference, history, brand, local recruiting areas (PA over KY for football), all heavily favor Happy Valley.

Reaction Score
The only two advantages that I believe Louisville may have over Penn St are 1) the NCAA sanctions on Penn St (short-term only and Penn St. is not looking for another short-term coach) and 2) lower academic standards. Stadium, facilities, conference, history, brand, local recruiting areas (PA over KY for football), all heavily favor Happy Valley.

You mention advantages, but the second half of your statement would appear to be disadvantages for Louisville. Lower academic standards sure, but stadium facilities conference, history, brand local recruiting all tip the scales in Penn St. favor IMO.

Reaction Score
Louisville's charter from the very first has been to provide a college education to its city inhabitants first. I doubt you'll find anyone to apologize for that - it's simply a different world. The "state school" in Kentucky is your good buddies at UK so I know you were sincere when you regard state flagship schools as 'special' - just as they do.

Louisville's academic arc has been fairly impressive, the truth is. It was a conscious decision which very much takes place at the athletic level. Generally, Louisville competed with Notre Dame and not UConn in the academic awards in the old Big East. Using academic smack seems odd in light of your inability to participate in the NCAA tourney last season. Frankly, I admired the way Kevin coached your team in that light. Reading here..........not so much.

Reaction Score
Like some other programs - Duke comes to mind - Louisville's emerging relevance in all sports is an attribute of a smaller fan base but one which is uniquely local and fiercely loyal. As the largest city in America without a competing pro sports franchise - and with a massive corporate base - donations to the program are more than many absolutely top tier programs. They pay a premium for seats in football and the waiting list for seats at the 22,000 capacity Yum Center is a long one. Competing with the 'special' state school for funding for facilities has seen them lose that race so often to UK that they have gone and tapped fans to fund and build hundreds of millions of dollars worth of world class facilities. The new 10,000 seat soccer stadium will be completed in time for the ACC entrance as well as a new Academic Center under the football stadium. It was built by virtue of a $5 million gift from an alumni.

Reaction Score
You mention advantages, but the second half of your statement would appear to be disadvantages for Louisville. Lower academic standards sure, but stadium facilities conference, history, brand local recruiting all tip the scales in Penn St. favor IMO.

Yes, Penn St is dealing with NCAA sanction, a negative, and has higher academic standards, which may or may not be considered disadvantages (Stanford has no issue with it while Auburn, Florida, etc. would be crippled). That is where Louisville has an advantage, at least in the short-term. The second sentence lists the B1G advantages for Penn State.

Though, for sheer entertainment purposes, I hope that Louisville hires back Petrino. Imagine the press with him as head football coach and Pitino as head basketball coach? Before going out for dinner, I would disinfect any restaurant table that I eat at within Louisville city limits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom