Spring Practice 2016 begins on March 9 ends April 16 w/ Blue White Game | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Spring Practice 2016 begins on March 9 ends April 16 w/ Blue White Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's Blog post after practice:
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2016/03/shirreffs-excited-to-air-it-again-at.html

The 1's on the OL seem to be separating themselves:
>>>>>>
I will have a story on how redshirt freshman Matt Peart is handling his role as the starting left tackle in tomorrow's paper. The starting offensive line was the same with Peart and Andreas Knappe at tackles, Tommy Hopkins and Trey Rutherford at guards at Ryan Crozier at center.
I posted this back on November 29, 2015 in this thread ( http://the-boneyard.com/threads/offensive-line.83918/):

Some of you thought I was crazy that Matt Peart would unseat Leavy at LT...Looks like that has happened:
  1. Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 18m18 minutes ago
    #UConn LT Matt Peart: "I love playing football and happy that the coaches have trusted me with this position."

1 retweet1 like

2. Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 19m19 minutes ago
    #UConn's starting LT Matt Peart on 2-year starter Rich Levy: "He has been probably my biggest mentor."
Updated w/ other notes as well.

Football Notebook: UConn Needs Big Contribution From Wide Receivers (Des)
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-uconn-football-spring-practice-0324-20160323-story.html

Looks like Levy is getting some looks at left guard too.

From my untrained eye Hopkins would be most vulnerable to be replaced. Peart, Lecy, Crozier, Rutherford and Knappe. Having Hopkins and Vechery off the bench is respectable depth. Not sure of any other Frosh coming off RS's expected to make an impact on the line.

Reaction Score

Call me a pessimist, but when the OL is turning around to see what's going on in the backfield and there's a bunch of defensive jerseys there.....that's not a good sign. The OL needs to take that next step and eliminate negative plays. Of course, I could be overreacting to a single spring practice pic. Yeah....I'd go with the later.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Call me a pessimist, but when the OL is turning around to see what's going on in the backfield and there's a bunch of defensive jerseys there.....that's not a good sign. The OL needs to take that next step and eliminate negative plays. Of course, I could be overreacting to a single spring practice pic. Yeah....I'd go with the later.

Remember the level of defense we have too. I predict plenty of opposing OLs will be doing the same thing this year.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 8:31pm via TweetDeck
After redshirt season, OT Matt Peart ready to make an impact at #UConn
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160324/redshirt-freshman-peart-pleasant-surprise-at-left-tackle

"The UConn coaches were going to protect Peart’s redshirt season at all costs, but encouraged him, along with all the other players in his class who were redshirting, to prepare as if they were going to play in games."

BIG... This could probably explain why our OL depth suffered a little during last season. If you're practicing with a kid all year long that should actually be a part of the rotation in live games, it probably creates a bit of a hiccup when, no? This alone leads me to believe that we should look much much better up front in live game day action come September.. And, I'd love it if we had Peart at LT, while Levy lines up at LG... Left side, strong side.. IF Peart is as good as these coaches (behind the scenes) think he is, should be a big year for this football team, on offense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Remember the level of defense we have too. I predict plenty of opposing OLs will be doing the same thing this year.

That's been said for too long as UConn fans. Not always true come September.

Reaction Score

If things hold on the OL (Peart, Hopkins/Levy, Crozier, Rutherford, Knappe) two returning starters will not be starting this fall (Levy/Hopkins, Vechery). In my mind that means the unit WILL be better. Obviously, that is a very good thing -- not only because it must mean an upgrade, but they would likely be part of a rotation. Add some of the other talented young 'uns for rotation/depth and our long nightmare of subpar OL play could be a thing of the past. I hope.

Reaction Score
Vechery at 6'6" was not a ideal center size wise for college and I thought he did OK. He will be a nice tool to have in reserve. With Peart it must be a foot speed/quickness thing which is important against fast D-ends/LB's. Levy at guard with a mean attitude could help the run game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Vechery at 6'6" was not a ideal center size wise for college and I thought he did OK. He will be a nice tool to have in reserve. With Peart it must be a foot speed/quickness thing which is important against fast D-ends/LB's. Levy at guard with a mean attitude could help the run game.

Vechery's experience from playing center last season will serve him well as a guard or back up center.

Reaction Score
NHRJimFuller 8:31pm via TweetDeck
After redshirt season, OT Matt Peart ready to make an impact at #UConn
http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20160324/redshirt-freshman-peart-pleasant-surprise-at-left-tackle

UConn Expects Big Things On Football Field From LT Matt Peart (Des)
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-football-0327-20160326-story.html

>>When Peart's arms lock out on the defenders and his base is right, forget it, he doesn't move. He'll rock from side to side controlling his man; he may bend but it is hard to break Peart, who is gaining much experience this spring in preparation for the season.

"He's very talented, very skilled and very athletic for his size," offensive line coach Mike Cummings said. "He came in here at 263 pounds and he's at 297 or 300 right now. Matt Balis [UConn strength and conditioning coordinator] has done a really nice job with him, but it's really the combination of his athleticism and his size and his toughness — and he's very smart. It's fun to coach a guy like that, and he cares a lot. He's not just out here trying to run plays and knock somebody down; he understands the schemes very well."<<

Reaction Score
So much positivity coming out of camp this spring. I don't know if I can wait until 16th to see some sort of football. Where's my TARDIS?

Reaction Score
I think it's safe to say we have never heard this kind of praise for a red shirt offensive lineman. Looking forward to seeing what the hype is all about in a couple of Saturdays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom