Spring Practice 2016 begins on March 9 ends April 16 w/ Blue White Game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Spring Practice 2016 begins on March 9 ends April 16 w/ Blue White Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I really like what you guys have going on at LB. In particular I'm a big fan of Carrezola as a hybrid rusher. As a PSU Guy I wish we kicked the tires on both Luke and the DT from last year Murphy. I think he will be a player for you guys as well.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The Carrezola/Stapleton position is a hybrid DE/LB position. You can't easily move either a LB or the other side DE there easily. Levenberry might not have the speed to play Digg's position as the SS LB, which in our system requires a lot of guarding slot receivers. It may be that if Levenberry is going to start he has to beat out either Walsh or Joseph, and even if he's better than them (and who knows if he is) I have no issue with returning starters starting spring practice as the starters until they are beaten out.

Okay cool--thanks for clearing that up. I think that makes perfect sense--at 255, I'd imagine Levenberry is a bit big for that strong side OLB position and is probably transitioning to ILB. Either way, we look to have some solid LB depth this upcoming year.

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller post this morning:

>>The next practice the media will be allowed into is on Mar. 23. It will be interesting to see if the pecking order when the team takes the field. I will be especially interested in how the redshirt freshmen, especially on defense perform. Philippe Okounam and Kevin Murphy were working with the second-team defensive line along with redshirt sophomore Sheriden Lawley with Cam Stapleton and Omaine Steohens were playing the defensive end/outside linebacker positions.

How quickly Connor Freeborn and Nazir Williams emerge and if they can ultimately push Vontae Diggs for a starting spot at that hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker position is worth monitoring while William Richardson is a player I am intrigued by at the inside linebacker position as is Marshe' Terry at safety. Defensive lineman David Ryslik was seeing some second-team work a season ago but was limited in the first spring practice. Once he is fully cleared, I expect him to figure prominently in the defensive line rotation.<<

Reaction Score
From Jim Fuller post this morning:

>>The next practice the media will be allowed into is on Mar. 23. It will be interesting to see if the pecking order when the team takes the field. I will be especially interested in how the redshirt freshmen, especially on defense perform. Philippe Okounam and Kevin Murphy were working with the second-team defensive line along with redshirt sophomore Sheriden Lawley with Cam Stapleton and Omaine Steohens were playing the defensive end/outside linebacker positions.

How quickly Connor Freeborn and Nazir Williams emerge and if they can ultimately push Vontae Diggs for a starting spot at that hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker position is worth monitoring while William Richardson is a player I am intrigued by at the inside linebacker position as is Marshe' Terry at safety. Defensive lineman David Ryslik was seeing some second-team work a season ago but was limited in the first spring practice. Once he is fully cleared, I expect him to figure prominently in the defensive line rotation.<<
I thought Luke C. was our starting hybrid DE/LB.

Reaction Score
Both outside linebackers are hybrid positions in Diaco's 3-4. The CAT (Carrezola/Stapleton) can play with a hand in the dirt, rush off the edge, or drop into space ... an OLB with a DE's mentality and body type. The DOG (Diggs/Freeborn/Williams) can also rush the passer, but spends more time in coverage matched up with slot receivers and TE's ... an OLB with a Safety's mentality and body.

There are times when the DOG will line-up as a true DE ... but not very often. Think of the CAT as a Mountain Lion and the DOG a Husky!

Reaction Score
Both outside linebackers are hybrid positions in Diaco's 3-4. The CAT (Carrezola/Stapleton) can play with a hand in the dirt, rush off the edge, or drop into space ... an OLB with a DE's mentality and body type. The DOG (Diggs/Freeborn/Williams) can also rush the passer, but spends more time in coverage matched up with slot receivers and TE's ... an OLB with a Safety's mentality and body.

There are times when the DOG will line-up as a true DE ... but not very often. Think of the CAT as a Mountain Lion and the DOG a Husky!

Nailed it.

Reaction Score
I posted this back on November 29, 2015 in this thread ( http://the-boneyard.com/threads/offensive-line.83918/):
If Levy is a starter next season I'd be surprised...I think t's possible you could see a line of (left to right) Peart, Rutherford, Crozier, Oak or Vechery, Hopkins
The way this line has played other than Hopkins and Vechery there are no guaranteed spots.

Some of you thought I was crazy that Matt Peart would unseat Leavy at LT...Looks like that has happened:
  1. Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 18m18 minutes ago
    #UConn LT Matt Peart: "I love playing football and happy that the coaches have trusted me with this position."

1 retweet1 like

2. Jim Fuller ‏@NHRJimFuller 19m19 minutes ago
    #UConn's starting LT Matt Peart on 2-year starter Rich Levy: "He has been probably my biggest mentor."

Reaction Score
Jim Fuller's Blog post after practice:
http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/2016/03/shirreffs-excited-to-air-it-again-at.html

The 1's on the OL seem to be separating themselves:
>>>>>>
I will have a story on how redshirt freshman Matt Peart is handling his role as the starting left tackle in tomorrow's paper. The starting offensive line was the same with Peart and Andreas Knappe at tackles, Tommy Hopkins and Trey Rutherford at guards at Ryan Crozier at center.

Reaction Score
Alright, 4 down 11 to go. Very interesting about Peart. Like to see him standing next to the other linemen for the eye test.

cttxus

The CT-TX-US Connection: Historic, Alive and Well
Reaction Score
Did I miss it or was there little written about the QBs other than BS still has his wrist wrapped but is looking and feeling better on deep throws? It would nice to hear more about how GA and TD looked given the current depth chart at QB and BS' recent health issues (concussion & wrist).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom