Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Rio Olympics USA WBB Finalists

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In fairness, though, Maya has already surpassed Catch. Maya was the starter 2 years ago at the world championships and she's the better player. I still think it's nearly a slam dunk that Catch makes the team - she's retiring this year from the WNBA and this will probably be her last Olympics. No one works harder and I'd be hard pressed to point out who should/could replace her on the roster of 12... Which is why the list I compiled of locks and near-locks had 10 people on it. Not much room for anyone else...

Maya has surpassed everyone, not just Catch...

Reaction Score
In my uninformed view, the only locks ought to be Griner, Parker, Delle Donne, and Maya.
Every other position is up for grabs.

I do think Stewie will make it because of a desire to get some youth on the team, but
on the basis of talent/ability/experience you could argue that some other C/F
candidates are more worthy.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
In my uninformed view, the only locks ought to be Griner, Parker, Della Don, and Maya.
Every other position is up for grabs.

Now DT? There is no way that Geno goes to Brazil without her unless she is injured.

Reaction Score
The Olympic team should consist of the players who are the best at their positions. Bird, Catch and Taurasi should not step down, they deserve the right to be pushed out by better players. If the younger players are not ready to beat them out for a position, then they need to work harder...
YES! Absolutely, just like UConn and the other WCBB teams. :D

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
A really tough call on this team if everyone is healthy.
Locks - 6:
Forwards: Moore, EDD, Parker
Guards: Taurasi

Likely - 4:
Forwards: Catchings and Stewart
Guards: Bird and Whalen

Others - definitely one guard and probably one center, but possibly a forward instead of a center.

Hard to leave off Fowles and Augustus - if it isn't a total youth movement one of them probably does make the team.

Probably not making it from previous team McCoughtry

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think it's bizarre that they only considered people invited to last year's camp. Essentially, they're basing a lot of these decisions for a competition in August of 2016 on the play of these athletes in 2014. Obviously a lot can happen in two years! It seems illogical and unfair. One player that I think deserved a look is Kelsey Bone after her 2015 WNBA season (for which she earned the Most Improved Player award).
They have had a camp in May 2015 at the end of the foreign season (and yes USA monitors all the players playing overseas so not just based on 2014 WNBA results) and they had a European tour at the end of the WNBA season this fall so they selected a team from available players based on WNBA 2015 season. I suspect the team they select after this camp will include a few 'alternates' or will be a few players more than the final 12. And if they have a camp before the WNBA season it will be a few more players than 12.

I am curious if you think someone else has been left out of consideration specifically - I can't think of anyone, but I am not a fanatic WNBA watcher.
Most improved player vs national team player is not synonymous - she is definitely good, but ...

Reaction Score
I would like to congratulate Parker and Catchings before Vol Nationals do.

Lady Vol players making the Olympic training camp is perhaps no longer a subject of interest in the Vol Nation. Or the news travels slowly there.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
The way I see it...

You have to put Stewie on the team. Let's be real...she's the face of basketball probably for some years to come why would you not want her to get into the 2016 games to play with the likes of Bird and Taurasi who probably will be participating in their last olympics...

They need to pass the torch to Stewie. Nuff siad

Reaction Score
They have had a camp in May 2015 at the end of the foreign season (and yes USA monitors all the players playing overseas so not just based on 2014 WNBA results) and they had a European tour at the end of the WNBA season this fall so they selected a team from available players based on WNBA 2015 season. I suspect the team they select after this camp will include a few 'alternates' or will be a few players more than the final 12. And if they have a camp before the WNBA season it will be a few more players than 12.

I am curious if you think someone else has been left out of consideration specifically - I can't think of anyone, but I am not a fanatic WNBA watcher.
Most improved player vs national team player is not synonymous - she is definitely good, but ...

In fairness, I just checked Bone's overseas numbers and they're not earth-shattering by any means. Her stats are about the same as Stefanie Dolson's (who plays in the same league in Turkey), while Bone was 15.4 ppg, 6.3 rpg vs. Dolson's 10.5 ppg, 5.6 rpg for the '15 WNBA season.

Reaction Score

I was actually curious about that European tour...I don't remember the selection news for the team or who got cut. I just remember Nneka Ogwumike was not on the team despite making the 2014 National Team and contributing.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I think it'll be a pretty predictable final roster (vet-heavy). I think the only unknown is if a young guard is picked and which one.

Reaction Score
Probably not making it from previous team McCoughtry

It's funny, because I actually think Geno and McCoughtry have kind of an "odd couple" good rapport, from what I've read. Also, she led the team in scoring for the Euro Tour. I actually bet Geno would pick McCoughtry over Augustus for some reason (but of course it's possible both make it).

Reaction Score
It's funny, because I actually think Geno and McCoughtry have kind of an "odd couple" good rapport, from what I've read. Also, she led the team in scoring for the Euro Tour. I actually bet Geno would pick McCoughtry over Augustus for some reason (but of course it's possible both make it).
Geno does not pick the players. It is the committee who pick the players.

Reaction Score

;) Officially, you're correct, K. But if you think for one second that the selection committee says "Here's the team we picked for you team, Geno. Now go and win the gold," without any input from the coach who is tasked with winning, who knows the players better than anyone, and who understands which players generate the kind of team chemistry needed, so essential to winning in Rio...well, I have to disagree.

It isn't only about picking the 12 greatest basketball players in America. Incredible talent required, yes, but it's also about selecting and putting together those players who are willing and able to play the type of game Geno will demand of them. USA Basketball wants to put together the best team in the world, and they'll surely need to heed Geno. Can you ever imagine Geno passively accepting a list of players foisted upon him? Nahhh.

Geno will input his 2 cents on the selections, however discrete, and you can be sure he'll be heard, loud and clear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
PG Sue Bird, Lindsay Whalen, Courtney Vandersloot, Briann January, Danielle Robinson
G Diana Taurasi, Angel McCoughtry, Skylar Diggins, Seimone Augustus, Odyssey Sims
W Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Elena Delle Donne, Kayla McBride, Jewell Loyd
F Candace Parker, Tina Charles, Nneka Ogwumike, Breanna Stewart, Candice Dupree
P Brittney Griner, Sylvia Fowles, Jantel Lavendar, Chiney Ogwumike, Stefanie Dolson

When all players are healthy and considering their age, this is my current depth chart based on past experience and success strictly with USAB SNT with some fudging to usual positions because in international play these players sometimes have played out of natural position in order to make these squads.

Players in red is the squad I would take if I was submitting a roster as USAB Olympic Committee. I'm taking my glue vets (Bird, Taurasi and Catchings), my current stars (Moore, McCoughtry, Parker and Charles) and my young guns/future stars (Diggins, Delle Donne, Ogwumike, Griner and Stewart). It's really hard leaving Whalen, Augustus AND Fowles off this roster, but someone's got to come off and they're the old vets who had their chance but now it's time to bring along our future because we already have TOO much vet. Now obviously if Bird or DT or Catch are out due to injury then those 3 are the first alternate choices based on position (1st alternate Whalen for Bird/Catch; 3rd alternate Augustus for DT/Catch and 2nd alternate Fowles for Catch).

Reaction Score
PG Sue Bird, Lindsay Whalen, Courtney Vandersloot, Briann January, Danielle Robinson
G Diana Taurasi, Angel McCoughtry, Skylar Diggins, Seimone Augustus, Odyssey Sims
W Maya Moore, Tamika Catchings, Elena Delle Donne, Kayla McBride, Jewell Loyd
F Candace Parker, Tina Charles, Nneka Ogwumike, Breanna Stewart, Candice Dupree
P Brittney Griner, Sylvia Fowles, Jantel Lavendar, Chiney Ogwumike, Stefanie Dolson

Really tough choices. I like your reds! Personally, I would make one change, I'd swap Augustus for Diggins. But, I like what you've done here.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
After watching the WNBA last season my money is on January to be included. Her performance in the playoffs was incredibly good, both on offense and defense. She is my pick for the last guard position. It will be very close between her and Sloot. Sims turns the ball over too much and Diggins is too offensive minded and I think Geno wants someone who will accept the role of putting the team first, and I think January best fits that description.

I think that as long as Geno is the coach that Bird is on the team. He probably trusts her more than any other player, except maybe DT. As long as she can dribble and run up and down the court she will be on the team.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Geno is coaching...there's no way Stewart is left off of the team.

Reaction Score
Too funny. Geno actually said this. But it's only an illusion. Geno really does pick the players despite what the official line is!!!

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
After watching the WNBA last season my money is on January to be included. Her performance in the playoffs was incredibly good, both on offense and defense. She is my pick for the last guard position. It will be very close between her and Sloot. Sims turns the ball over too much and Diggins is too offensive minded and I think Geno wants someone who will accept the role of putting the team first, and I think January best fits that description.

I think that as long as Geno is the coach that Bird is on the team. He probably trusts her more than any other player, except maybe DT. As long as she can dribble and run up and down the court she will be on the team.

Per 36 minutes last year, Sloot had more steals, more assists, more points, and fewer turnovers than January. January did shoot it a little bit better last year but Vandersloot is a better shooter for her career (though not from 3). Obviously, I'm biased as a Sky fan but I have seen them play both live and televised many times and you can't convince me that January is better than Sloot.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
There's NO WAY Stewie is "left off the team." And it's NOT because "Geno is coaching" but because she absolutely deserves to make that team.

That may end up being true, it remains to be seen how she performs against pros and better competition. She struggled in the world championships two years ago and while I think she'll adjust fine as a pro, I don't think she has proven that she deserves to make the team over some other experienced pros who have excelled in the W, overseas, and with team USA. After this summer, that might not be the case.

For all the talk of "Geno doesn't decide the team," in 2012 both Swin Cash and Asjha Jones were named to the Olympic roster despite there being far more deserving non-UCONN players who were left off of the roster.

Regardless of all of this, I think there is little doubt that whatever roster is assembled, Team USA should cruise to gold once again.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
There's NO WAY Stewie is "left off the team." And it's NOT because "Geno is coaching" but because she absolutely deserves to make that team.

At center, I would take Griner, Fowles, and Charles (who can also play PF). At PF, I would take EDD (can also play SF, but I think this is her best position) and Parker for sure. So between those two spots you already have 5 players, which is probably all you want.

Realistically, Fowles gets left out and/or EDD is counted as an SF, which opens up another PF spot. Then, Stewart would have to beat out Dupree and both Ogwumikes. I think Stewart is better than Chiney. Not sure about Dupree and Nneka. She will surpass them in time but they have much more experience against elite competition.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
For all the talk of "Geno doesn't decide the team," in 2012 both Swin Cash and Asjha Jones were named to the Olympic roster despite there being far more deserving non-UCONN players who were left off of the roster.

Regardless of all of this, I think there is little doubt that whatever roster is assembled, Team USA should cruise to gold once again.

I don't remember USA cruising past Australia in the semifinals in London. I remember a game in which USA trailed at halftime, had no answer for Cambage in the first half and had a couple of superstars who wanted no part of the physical Opals. That game was won in the 2nd half by veteran players who've been in those pressure situations before and know what it takes to win. A fatigued Cambage also helped.

As for Cash and Jones, most certainly their relationship with Geno mattered. They know what he wanted and he trusted them. I'd also point out that Cash and Jones filled out the 11th and 12 roster spots where you want veterans who know their role, won't complain about playing time and have the maturity to deliver at a big moment in a big game. Asjha Jones did just that in the second half of the Australia game when, again, a superstar or two weren't interested in matching Australia's toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom